Sony planning to prevent sales of second-hand PS3 games

Posted by Klarth

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060524153157765035§ionId=1006
[quote]High street games shops have been told by Sony that there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they've bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.

It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.

We assume that the thinking behind this move will ultimately be to stop PS3 games being resold several times - which currently snatches potential sales away from Sony - and to counter the impression in consumers' minds that games are only really worth their pre-owned price and are not worth buying new.

When we contacted Sony, it issued us with the following statement: "We have made all of the official announcements at E3 and cannot make any further comments at this time. We will be announcing more news running up to PlayStation 3's launch."
So, buying a second-hand PS3 game will be tantamount to piracy.

What. The. Hell.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Half my XBox collection is preowned - although Sony won't lose any money from this, it'll still be bad for cheap-*** gamers.

:(

Posted by Axis

This means I'll be waiting even LONGER to by my PS3. I'll just wait until they have a Greatest Hits program and I'll just buy all of them for really cheap.

Posted by TendoAddict

Dear Sony,

[SIZE="7"]mlm[/SIZE]

Great sony, Not only are you games fro the Ps3 more exspensive then past years but now they reach a value of zero when you buy them. Good lucky when the illegal re-selling starts.

Posted by Bebop

I cant help but feel this is, quite simply, a greedy money-hungry fuelld idea. Sony didnt seen to have a problem with pre-owened PS2 games because they had acres of shelves dedicated to newer releases. Perhpas Sony don't expect to have as many shelf space this generation and banning pre-owned games is a way to maintain an image of customer satisfaction and popularity.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I don't blame them. They get (next to) no money from pre-owned games, so in a way, it's much like piracy to them. But still, **** that. I remember when this was just a rumour, and if they actually go through with it, then holy ****, they're really doing a number on their fans this generation.

Posted by Zeta

Funny. There's was somewhat a slim chance of me getting a PS3 at some point. A very, very, slim chance. This just knocked it down to a 0% chance, though. Nice job, Sony. :cookie:

Posted by Speedfreak

I can't actually think of one more thing that they could do to ensure PS3s failure.

Posted by Linko_16

That's the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

Posted by Ant

Wow, what dickheads. In a business stance I suppose I can see how it might be a sound plan. But it's just now how things run when it comes to video games.

I feel most sorry for local game stores :/

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Ant: Wow, what dickheads. In a business stance I suppose I can see how it might be a sound plan. But it's just now how things run when it comes to video games.

I feel most sorry for local game stores :/

I feel sorry for people who finish Metal Gear Solid 4 in 8 hours, use the game for all it's worth and are stuck with it for the rest of PS3's days, even though there's another game they want but can't afford even though ebaying Snake's recent adventure would provide required currency for said new game.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Speedfreak: I can't actually think of one more thing that they could do to ensure PS3s failure.
I can, but they have most everything covered.

Now I'm definitely never buying this **** if thats true. Almost all my games are preowned... I save so much money that way. So what if I have to wait several months to play something? Its still new to me.

Geez, its like you need a full time job to afford a PS3.

Quoted post: Geez, its like you need a full time job to afford a PS3.

You do. Ken Kutaragi said it himself.

Posted by nich

http://www.ps3land.com/article-392.php

This news is made of false and old.

Posted by MooJ

Actually nich, I would like to point out that they only say you can play a PS3 on any console. In that article you have posted it does not say that Sony won't stop pre-owned games being played.

Klarth posted said topic which says that they will stop pre-owned games being sold in stores. Nothing was said about playing them on other PS3s.

Therefore your statement is void as it holds no relevence to the topic at hand.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting nich: http://www.ps3land.com/article-392.php

Ok so now we know that when you buy a license for a game you can play it on any PS3 console. What a relief!

Posted by Ant

Curious, who's actually going to stop the re-sell of PS3 games...?

I can see why EBgames couldn't, but local game stores could probably get away with it.

Posted by GameMiestro

This has crossed the line, almost. I can't forgive Sony for doing something that stupid- imagine what would happen if someone wanted a game that was no longer stocked on store shelves. They would be breaking the law trying to get it used, and they couldn't get it new, either. Not cool.

For this same reason, they could raise the price of games massively, and make a limited amount of the games, forcing the buyer to spend their money on it immediately if they ever want to get a copy. If this really does come to pass, we can expect other forms of piracy to prosper.

Posted by nich

Quoting MooJ: Therefore your statement is void as it holds no relevence to the topic at hand.

It's definately relevent, while I agree it doesn't outright disprove the rumour like I previously said that doesn't mean it isn't relevent. It's an article which further investigates the matter at hand and also provides a quote from sony themselves on the subject, which, Gamesradar does not. Therefore relevent.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting nich: http://www.ps3land.com/article-392.php

That Artical sucked and had nothing to do with game selling.It said that sony HAD technology to make each PS3 one game per system.

It never said that they could re-sell the game. The OP's artical still stands.

Edit:

[quote]It's definately relevent, while I agree it doesn't outright disprove the rumour like I previously said that doesn't mean it isn't relevent. It's an article which further investigates the matter at hand and also provides a quote from sony themselves on the subject, which, Gamesradar does not. Therefore relevent.

No , it still isnt relevent to SELLING GAMES. Its relevent to Sony Deciding weather each game could be played on multiple systems or not.

Plus the quote had nothing to do with the subject at ALL.

"This is false speculation and that PlayStation 3 software will not be copy protected to a single machine but will be playable on any PlayStation 3 console."
^
This means a PS3 game can be played on any system. Nothing about selling games.

Thus making the quote and the artical not relevent to the subject.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

It's already illegal to sell used games for any system in Japan, I believe. sony's just trying to expand that to the world market, I guess. That said, yes, this appears to be yet another in a long string of hideous acts of bastardry that sony is committing this coming generation. I chuckle maliciously at sony computer entertainment's impending demise.

I can't wait to hear what Gamestop has to say about this. Just about all of their revenue comes from used titles rather than new.

Posted by ASUKA

Like I needed one more reason not to get a PS3.

Quoting ASUKA: Like I needed one more reason not to get a PS3.

Perhaps, but you could tell 2 friends, and then they could tell 2 friends, and so on, and so on...

Posted by brownoystercult

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060524162421512039§ionId=1006&releaseId=20060314115917309058

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Roinkz: http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060524162421512039§ionId=1006&releaseId=20060314115917309058

Good to know.

But Im sure they'll make some more sh!t moves to make up for it.

Posted by Speedfreak

I feel both relief and disappointment. Relief because I'm sure as hell not going to pay £50 for a game, disappointment because it was funny.

Posted by juliebriggs

wow... that would be a seriously selfish move on sony's part. they already ****ed us psp owners by not making any decent games. least it was just a rumor. im still not gonna buy one though till the price comes down

Posted by nich

and

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060524162421512039§ionId=1006&releaseId=20060314115917309058

have the pretty much same information and even use the same quote, wouldn't that make the latter irrelevent aswell? But, you know, w/e right? (mostly directed to tendo addict)

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Thought: Wouldn't this totally screw video game rentals, if it were true?

Posted by brownoystercult

used games, could kill the industry.

Posted by juliebriggs

seems like it would have been sonys way of making up for the less then stellar psp sales

Quoted post: Thought: Wouldn't this totally screw video game rentals, if it were true?

Yeah, that's actually a good point. But if they were "smart" they would put up free demos of every game (semi/major) on their marketplace.

Posted by Di22y

If I decide to buy a PS3 and the above is the case then I wont actually buy the game or sell it, instead I will just sell the license that I purchased and naught can be done. Anyway sounds like smelly bull stuff to me.

Posted by TendoAddict

[quote]http://www.ps3land.com/article-392.php

and

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/gam...14115917309058

have the pretty much same information and even use the same quote, wouldn't that make the latter irrelevent aswell? But, you know, w/e right? (mostly directed to tendo addict)

Sorry, but not really.

This one still doesnt talk about the selling of games. Cept for the title, which is misleading because that Sony quote never said ANYTHING about selling. The artical just said that re-selling is legal but the quote and source say nothing about selling, just that a game wont be one game per machine. So to me they're saying that Re-selling is legal but their only source that supposidly makes them credible has nothing to do with selling in the first place. It looked relevant from the outside, but inside it didnt do anything but mis-inform us.

You might be asking, what do you mean when the quote is not relevent to re-selling.

Lets take a closer look at said quote:

"This is false speculation and that PlayStation 3 software will not be copy protected to a single machine but will be playable on any PlayStation 3 console."

Now if it was true speculation it would stop re-selling. But Sony could easily make Re-selling illegal and still have games work on multiple machines. The quote didnt crack the Re-selling issue , just one about games on multiple machines.
----------

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/ps3/gam...14115917309058

This artical is Relevant. But you think both articals are relevant becasue they use the same quote and say that re-selling wont be illegal. False, the second one goes deeper into respected sources and took more then three minutes to write. They ask Industry insiders and even sony about reselling. The insiders have heard Hide nor tail about re-selling and both partys said it would be most likely false becasue it would anger sh!t loads of customers. A move Sony cant make...again

The second quote from sony said this:

"We can't comment on rumors or speculation. We plan on announcing the [launch] lineup as we get closer to the launch in November. We haven't made any announcement on used game sales."

This quote actually talks about selling making it more revelant then the first articals quote.

But you know, w/e right?

<3

Posted by PWND_U_IN_MK

Fook sony, I hate them more now.

Posted by juliebriggs

5 more reasons to hate sony:

1. produces the most powerful handheld and underutalitizes it
2. no hdmi support on ps3
3. no chrono trigger remake
4. teasing people with the FF7 tech demo
5. kingdom hearts

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting juliebriggs: 3. no chrono trigger remake
5. kingdom hearts

Excusing the KH bash, these two still don't fall under Sony's jurisdiction; if you're upset, blame Square, the producer responible for both Chrono Trigger and Kingdom Hearts. This may be true for number four, also, but I can't say for sure since I don't know anything about said FFVII tech demo.

Quoted post: 2. no hdmi support on ps3

The 60 gig version has HDMI. It's just the twenty doesn't.

Posted by PWND_U_IN_MK

Quoting juliebriggs: 5 more reasons to hate sony:

1. produces the most powerful handheld and underutalitizes it
2. no hdmi support on ps3
3. no chrono trigger remake
4. teasing people with the FF7 tech demo
5. kingdom hearts

I hate sony and I don't agree with any of those points. Except 5, which isn't sony's fault.

Quoted post: I hate sony and I don't agree with any of those points. Except 5, which isn't sony's fault.

What's there to disagree with about points one and two? Let's face it, the PSP really isn't as good as it should be... in fact, it's pretty far off. Only now does there seem to be a lot of great games coming out for it - Games that aren't ports or aren't handheld friendly. Plus, HDMI is kind of a big deal. You're paying a lot of money for a blu-ray player that won't even work (it gets downscaled to 480i, come on). It may be 100 bucks less, but that's still 100 more than a very capable 360.

Posted by PWND_U_IN_MK

Quoting Vampiro: What's there to disagree with about points one and two? Let's face it, the PSP really isn't as good as it should be... in fact, it's pretty far off. Only now does there seem to be a lot of great games coming out for it - Games that aren't ports or aren't handheld friendly. Plus, HDMI is kind of a big deal. You're paying a lot of money for a blu-ray player that won't even work (it gets downscaled to 480i, come on). It may be 100 bucks less, but that's still 100 more than a very capable 360.

1.Bullshat, the PSP is not underutilized. It is a shiity game system, pure an simple, especially for portable games. I love the PSP's other cababilities and it's a great purchase.

2. The 60 gig version has support. Nobody is getting the cheaper version. Just like no one wants the core xbox, which is why they are stopping production of it.

Quoted post: 1.Bullshat, the PSP is not underutilized. It is a shiity game system, pure an simple, especially for portable games. I love the PSP's other cababilities and it's a great purchase.

Let me get this straight. It's a ****ty game system... yet it's not under-utilized? Whatever. :rolleyes:

Quoted post: 2. The 60 gig version has support. Nobody is getting the cheaper version. Just like no one wants the core xbox, which is why they are stopping production of it.

You'd be surprised at how many people bought a Core system. Same thing will happen with the 20 gig.

Posted by PWND_U_IN_MK

Quoting Vampiro: Let me get this straight. It's a ****ty game system... yet it's not under-utilized? Whatever. :rolleyes:

You'd be surprised at how many people bought a Core system. Same thing will happen with the 20 gig.

1. I can't believe that it is crappy, and has reached it's potential?
2. People bought cores because they couldn't get premuim's because they were sold out. Now that you can get both nobody is buying core's, which is why Microsoft has stopped production.
THAR!!!

Posted by juliebriggs

psp has been home to nothing but ports and crappy original games. these developers need to put some thought into the games on this system, then it will trully shine. stop trying to making games intended for 2 analog sticks on a system with one. not everyone needs a portable fps

and kingdom hearts does suck. disney and rpgs dont mix. its lame. get over it

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting juliebriggs: and kingdom hearts does suck. disney and rpgs dont mix. its lame. get over it

lawlz opinion

Posted by PWND_U_IN_MK

Quoting juliebriggs: psp has been home to nothing but ports and crappy original games. these developers need to put some thought into the games on this system, then it will trully shine. stop trying to making games intended for 2 analog sticks on a system with one. not everyone needs a portable fps

and kingdom hearts does suck. disney and rpgs dont mix. its lame. get over it

I agree with both of your points, but one of your reasons.
1. yeah, kinda

2. no, the idea isn't bad, it was just poorly realized.

Posted by juliebriggs

yeah, i MUCH rather beat on my enemies with a giant key then a sword. square must be growing the green stuff now

Posted by Zeta

Quoting juliebriggs: yeah, i MUCH rather beat on my enemies with a giant key then a sword. square must be growing the green stuff now

Well... there's been wierder weapons in RPGs. Doesn't Relm in FF6 use a paintbrush?

Posted by juliebriggs

yeah, but they didnt specify if the paint was non toxic or not. long term death. plus u can stab people in the eyes with a paintbrush.

Posted by Burrito

I really liked Kingdom Hearts. Sure, the idea of Disney and Square Enix mixed together is weird, but I like weird games. I also like games that are an amalgamation of different universes like, Smash Brothers and Marvel Vs. Capcom. There is something really cool about it.

Edit: The Keyblade was an awesome weapon, it's not just a generic sword like you see in most RPG's.

Posted by juliebriggs

it was a key. thats not awesome. original, but far from awesome.

Posted by Burrito

I suppose we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Posted by juliebriggs

original cool weapons dont come up too offen. its either bladed or projectile

Posted by maian

....Well, I lol'd at the article.

Quoted post: 1. I can't believe that it is crappy, and has reached it's potential?

It's obviously capable of tons, and since it hasn't lived up to it, or anywhere close, it falls perfectly under the definition of "under-utilized". Look it up, ity's a fact.

Quoted post: 2. People bought cores because they couldn't get premuim's because they were sold out. Now that you can get both nobody is buying core's, which is why Microsoft has stopped production.
THAR!!!

Exactly. A supposed six million consoles will be out my... march. Chances are, at least five million of those will definitely be sold the second they hit the shelves. A good 40 percent of those (probably) will be the 20 gigs. So, that's 2,000,000 people screwed.

Quoted post: psp has been home to nothing but ports and crappy original games. these developers need to put some thought into the games on this system, then it will trully shine. stop trying to making games intended for 2 analog sticks on a system with one. not everyone needs a portable fps

Take a look at the up-coming line-up. Looks pretty sweet to me. They finally figured out what a portable system is for.

Posted by Pit

Quoting juliebriggs: it was a key. thats not awesome. original, but far from awesome.

It's a blade.

Judging from your posts it seems you haven't even played it.

I mean:

lol yeah ur opinion is 100% fact lets not disagree cuz ur rite.

Prick

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting juliebriggs: yeah, but they didnt specify if the paint was non toxic or not. long term death. plus u can stab people in the eyes with a paintbrush.

Come on, haven't you even fallen on your keys? Hurts like hell.

Anyway, if your reasons for disliking the game tally up to "Square+Disney suxx0rz" and "key wtf?", then you can't really expect anyone to respect your opinion.

Indeed. Cite the bad camera angles, jerky controls, and the fact that if it had come out for the GAMECUBE, it would have been labled as "just another kiddy Nintendo game" and ignored by everyone who now think it's the greatest game ever.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Linko_16][COLOR=indigo]"Square+Disney suxx0rz"[/COLOR]

I think that's a pretty fair reason to not want to play the game, to be honest. If you truly hate both Square and Disney characters then no matter how good the game plays you're still going to get pissed off.

Yeah, I somewhat like Square but the massive amounts of gratuitous fanservice was actually ****ing me off. I can only imagine how a Square-hater would feel.

Posted by juliebriggs

i just dont see the hype over this game. it looks stupid as hell. my reason for disliking it is cause disney isnt cool. i like traditional rpgs, and this isnt it. the fan base is mostly braindead idiots and lil kids anyway, i rather not be involved with that group

Well, yeah, that's a pretty lame reason for hating a game. Even more so when you bash it. I could understand your view if you'd actually played it (which you clearly haven't), but it's just a case of "lol your opinion is moot since you know s[COLOR="White"]hi[/COLOR]t".

Posted by maian

I don't think it looks amazing, but the only reason I haven't played it yet is my lack of a PS2. Gawd, that needs to be fixed. I'm sure I'll like it, but I won't love it as much as the bloody KH roleplayers do.

...But I agree with Coarse in saying if it came out for GC, it would fail, nobody would buy it, and it'd be labeled kiddy.

Posted by Pit

Quoting juliebriggs: i just dont see the hype over this game. it looks stupid as hell. my reason for disliking it is cause disney isnt cool. i like traditional rpgs, and this isnt it. the fan base is mostly braindead idiots and lil kids anyway, i rather not be involved with that group

So you dislike a game because you don't want to associate yourself with a stereotype of people you dislike because they enjoy the game.

lol ur opinion is moot

Posted by juliebriggs

wtf is moot

Posted by Pit

I coulda sworn it was you in another thread who swore to not be another stupid blonde :-\

Posted by juliebriggs

yeah. im stupid cause im never heard of moot before.

Posted by Speedfreak

No, you're stupid for not looking it up.

Posted by juliebriggs

why the hell would i waste my valuble time looking up a word? i got better things to do right now

Posted by Pit

Quoting juliebriggs: why the hell would i waste my valuble time looking up a word? i got better things to do right now

*** forbid you open up a new window or tab and go to dictionary.com to look up a word.

Sorry to have you waste your precious video game chat time which is so valuable.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting juliebriggs: why the hell would i waste my valuble time looking up a word? i got better things to do right now

Why would you waste your time making a post asking what it means? You typed more than "dictionary.com" and then "moot" in that post anyway, you could've saved yourself some time. Retard.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=juliebriggs]why the hell would i waste my valuble time looking up a word? i got better things to do right now

So you can be less stupid.

Posted by Last Fog

heres the part where the thread goes into a petty little argument for 2 or more pages because a few people are too stubborn to let the other have the last say...

btw not liking a game because you dislike the overall style and characters and general fanbase is a fine reason... i'm sure if barbies playhouse came out and got great reviews you'd all go out and buy it right?

Posted by Speedfreak

Exactly. I decided 50 Cent: Bulletproof sucked before a review was even written.

Posted by PWND_U_IN_MK

Quoting Vampiro: It's obviously capable of tons, and since it hasn't lived up to it, or anywhere close, it falls perfectly under the definition of "under-utilized". Look it up, ity's a fact.

Exactly. A supposed six million consoles will be out my... march. Chances are, at least five million of those will definitely be sold the second they hit the shelves. A good 40 percent of those (probably) will be the 20 gigs. So, that's 2,000,000 people screwed.

Take a look at the up-coming line-up. Looks pretty sweet to me. They finally figured out what a portable system is for.

1. I really don't think they can do much better with the system, because they are unwilling to accept the PSP for what it is.

2. you fail to make a counter point.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Last Fog:

btw not liking a game because you dislike the overall style and characters and general fanbase is a fine reason... i'm sure if barbies playhouse came out and got great reviews you'd all go out and buy it right?

A lot of people said the Legend of Zelda Windwaker sucked because it was simply cel shaded

Posted by Burrito

I can understand your dislike of Kingdom Hearts, but I just can't understand why you would use it as a reason to hate Sony.

Posted by juliebriggs

i dont hate sony cause of KH, i hate them cause of my $250 paper weight called a psp. dont get me wrong, i love the ps2, its great. some excellent games on it. the KH reason was more sarcastic then anything. remember, sony has 2 exclusive games that are incredable. ico and shadows of the colossas

Posted by Pit

*** of War

Posted by Burrito

Quoting juliebriggs: i dont hate sony cause of KH, i hate them cause of my $250 paper weight called a psp. dont get me wrong, i love the ps2, its great. some excellent games on it. the KH reason was more sarcastic then anything. remember, sony has 2 exclusive games that are incredable. ico and shadows of the colossas

Well, in that case, I guess it makes sense. Of course, you probably could have came up with some better reasons to hate Sony.

Posted by juliebriggs

*** of war was great, the socom series, gran turismo, etc. all great titles. i really think sony is gonna turn away alot of gamers with the price tag on the ps3 though. more people will lean towards the wii or the 360, which already has 20 million units in homes right now or something..

I'm more hoping they'll turn away developers with their hardware design, and thus turn away gamers when their favorite games start showing up on other consoles.

Posted by juliebriggs

wouldnt surprise me. espically since i read in a game magazine that developers are leaning more towards the xbox 360 since its simpler to program games for.

Quoted post: wtf is moot

It doesn't matter/irrelevant.

Quoted post: 1. I really don't think they can do much better with the system, because they are unwilling to accept the PSP for what it is.

Pay more attention to up-coming games.

Quoted post: 2. you fail to make a counter point.

That's because I don't really need to. It's a fact that a lot of people are going to be screwed.

Quoted post: remember, sony has 2 exclusive games that are incredable. ico and shadows of the colossas

oh lawd :rolleyes:

Quoted post:
more people will lean towards the wii or the 360, which already has 20 million units in homes right now or something..

... 20 million? HAHAHAHA

Posted by juliebriggs

well, i mean the 360 already has a good in home base so the ps3 and wii have to catch up. i really see the 360 being in the lead for quite some time. cause there WILL be a shortage of ps3's for awhile. yet, plenty of wii's

They only have, what, 5 million consoles out right now? Both Nintendo and Sony could easily catch up if they're smart about it.