Posted by brownoystercult

i don't have an hdtv but would it be worth it to get a 360 and play on a standard definition? i mean, would it at least look better than current gen consoles?

Posted by Klarth

I've played one on a non-HD set, and it looks fine with an S-Video cable - Sharper than my original Xbox, in fact. Naturally, people who play on HDTVs once tend to swear by them forever, but I'd still recommend waiting two or three years for cheap HD sets.

Most cases - HD looks over-the-top. It looks fine on a normal set.

Posted by Axis

I have an HD screen, but I still enjoy playing on a standard screen television. Basically what Klarth said, HD is over-the-top but standard is just fine.

One thing you can do is if you have an HD computer screen you can get the adapter for it and play off your computer screen.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I use a SDTV and I really don't see a problem with it. Games still look great. Though obviously not as good as HD, you're not going to feel like you wasted your money just because you don't have an HDTV.

Posted by Axis

What games do you plan on getting?

Posted by PWND_U_IN_MK

It works fine. I'm not getting high def for a while.

Quoting Axis: What games do you plan on getting?

Oblivion, Fight Night Round 3, all NBA 2K games (I love 2K NBA games), G.R.A.W, PD Zero, and probably Project Gotham 3.

i mean, how big is the difference? is there a screenshot or anything where i can compare the two?

Posted by Steve Urkel

I plan on getting the new perfect dark. I hope it's online!

Quoted post: Oblivion, Fight Night Round 3, all NBA 2K games (I love 2K NBA games), G.R.A.W, PD Zero, and probably Project Gotham 3.

i mean, how big is the difference? is there a screenshot or anything where i can compare the two?

The difference is... pretty big actually. You'll at least notice it and feel kinda sad to go back to SD. But for most people, the "ooo pretty" effect wears off after a few days, which is only hours if you go from HD to SD. So it's really nothing to worry about. It's especially nothing to stop you from buying a 360 or make you get an HDTV. It's just great if you happen to do have one.

is it like playing a game on 800x600 resolution opposed to like 1280x1024? for a pc?

Pretty sure it's double. So... 640x480 (480p/i being standard for most SDTVs) compared to 1280x720 (720p being standard for most 360 games).

I could be a bit off with those numbers, but it's close enough.

holy crap...wouldn't a $300 hd make a difference though? and how big?

what i really want to know: will i get the next-gen feel from the graphics playing on a 360?

Posted by Axis

Yeah, you will. It doesn't matter what kind of a TV you're on, you're still going to get the great graphics. If I were you, just go out and buy the adapter for your PC monitor and play of that, you can get 720p resolution that way.

As for those game selections:
Oblivion - Must Buy
FNR3 - Buy (Even though I didn't like it, many people do)
NBA 2k6 - Buy (Since you buy all of them)
G.R.A.W. - Must Buy
PDZ - Rent or Buy Used (34.99) (I suggest renting this game first, it's a real hit or miss with people. I however, enjoy the game)
PGR3 - Buy (Still one of my favorite games on 360)

Two other games I suggest you try out would be:
Condemned (The perfect rental game)
Call of Duty 2 (Best Launch Game there was)

Quoted post: holy crap...wouldn't a $300 hd make a difference though? and how big?

what i really want to know: will i get the next-gen feel from the graphics playing on a 360?

If you're going to buy a HDTV, you might as well save up some more cash and buy a serious HDTV. Something of a decent size and quality. Nothing below 27" anyways.

And yeah, you will definitely get a next-gen experience from a SDTV, no need to worry about that. Just look at GRAW or Oblivion. Neither of those games could ever look that good on a current console. Which holds true if you go play GRAW for the Xbox, rather than the 360.

Quoted post:
PDZ - Rent or Buy Used (34.99) (I suggest renting this game first, it's a real hit or miss with people. I however, enjoy the game)

Don't even bother playing it unless you plan on getting Xbox Live. Multiplayer if the only good thing about the game.

Posted by Axis

Quoting Vampiro: Don't even bother playing it unless you plan on getting Xbox Live. Multiplayer if the only good thing about the game.

Oh yeah, I just figured he would get Xbox Live. But if you don't, then yeah, don't bother with this game and get Call of Duty 2 instead.

Posted by juliebriggs

i play my 360 through a HDTV and i really dont weither its HD or SD. definition wont save the 360s crappy collection of avalible games lol

sounds good guys.

i honestly thought i was going to be buying a ps3 and all that, but e3 06 made me change my mind completely. thanks for the help, i should be able to manage on my own now.

Posted by GameMiestro

Just because you use an XBox on HD doesn't mean you can't use it later on HDTV. If you would buy an HDTV just for the XBox, it isn't worth it. The difference between a good standard TV and an HDTV is rather slim, except for price, of course.

Quoted post: The difference between a good standard TV and an HDTV is rather slim

Not really. The difference between the SDTV that you most likely own and a good HDTV is quite large.