New Super Mario Bros!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I bought it today. It is one of, if not the best game on the DS. It feels exactly how a Mario game should, but the new moves (butt-stomp, wall-kick, etc) and items really make it great fun to play. I'm on World 2 - 5, and I haven't felt a disappointment yet. I didn't even know they'd packaged all the Mario 64 DS minigames and WiFi modes with it, and given them multiplayer functionality.

Game of the year!

:cool:

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

It's great, but not THAT great. It's still no where near as good as SMW or SMB3. The new power-ups are really lacking, as are the secrets. It's far too easy, and maybe a bit too short. But otherwise, it's a really great DS game. I just hope they expand a bit more, though still keep the nostalgic feel.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Having only played it for a few hours, I guess the length issue won't hit me yet...

Still awesome, though.

Posted by ~vampire~

I knew about it, but I dint dare buy it in case it was the typical mario game, but if you say its that fun and great, I might go for it.

Quoted post: I knew about it, but I dint dare buy it in case it was the typical mario game, but if you say its that fun and great, I might go for it.

typical Mario game? What the ****?

Posted by ~vampire~

Well you know...Walk around, jump on koopas and gumbas, get mushrooms and end it there. That would be the typical. Now mario DS HAD a purpose, looking for starz with many bosses and stuff. If this game has mini-games as well, then its already a plus and if it has new worlds and maps, then thats awesome too.

Posted by NightmareBassX

I was going to get it, but after further information, i'll wait for the price to drop. I didn't know it was just Mario 1... I thought it was ACTUALLY new. I was looking forward to flying and such, but I suppose I can't have that in this. So im choosing not to get it, since I can just download Mario 1 for free, and I don't care much for graphics and triple jumps and such enough to spend 30 dollars. But it still looks great, But I choose to buy RE4 instead with my money.

Posted by Phantasma2

[COLOR="Black"]The game is cool, really fun etc and it has that clasic mario feel.
But eh, not the best game of DS.[/COLOR]

Posted by Bebop

Although not out in Uk yet the length of the game wont affect me. Even if its not as long as Mario World it wouldnt matter. Mario 3, a much shorter game in my opinion, and the origninal Bros game are still games I pick up and play often.

Posted by MikeyRibbs

I'm picking it up tonight, hopefully. I heard great things about it and I've been looking forward to getting it for a long time. Oh yeah, and I'm new here.

Quoted post: I didn't know it was just Mario 1... I thought it was ACTUALLY new.

... uh, it's a completely new game. There's just a few borrowed stages.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Vampiro: ... uh, it's a completely new game. There's just a few borrowed stages.

What I meant was no power ups and such. I wouldn't look at it as "completely new" though. Not completely...

Posted by Ant

How do I shot read acutal reviews from acredited websites?

They have like, 3 new power ups. The huge mushroom, which makes you huge and you plow your way thru the level bashing **** out of the way. The mini mushroom, which makes you super tiny, and allows you to go into tiny tubes and run on water, longer wall jump, and needed to access certin worlds. Then there is the turtle shell. Which after running for a bit you roll as if you are a thrown turtle shell.

I played thru the game really quickly. But none of the 2-D mario games are really that long in length. So that isn't really an issue for me. The game is really fun. And even though I've beaten it to perfection, I still pick it up to just go thru the levels over again. :)

Quoted post: What I meant was no power ups and such. I wouldn't look at it as "completely new" though. Not completely...

Three new power-ups. They just suck compared to older ones. And the game IS completely new. It just went back to the classic Mario style.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Vampiro: Three new power-ups. They just suck compared to older ones. And the game IS completely new. It just went back to the classic Mario style.

Then I might reconsider on getting it. I was told it was just Mario 1, with renewed graphics. And I agree, the flying racoon was the best... Power-up... EVER!

Posted by PWND_U_IN_MK

I want it, so very badly *cries*

Quoted post: Then I might reconsider on getting it. I was told it was just Mario 1, with renewed graphics. And I agree, the flying racoon was the best... Power-up... EVER!

I suggest you never listen to that source again.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Eh, he's informative. Maybe he got the wrong information as well. For instance, maybe he played his friends, or his friend had just played it once, and it came off as a remake the first play? Ah well. Seems like a good game, but Resident Evil 4 comes first (Tomorrow ;) ), Since I hear it is GOOD.

Posted by Bebop

I bought it on import today and am enjoying it much so.

Although words cannot describe my shock at Bowser re-emerging from lava, skin burnt off emitting a blood curdling scream. o_0

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Bebop: I bought it on import today and am enjoying it much so.

Although words cannot describe my shock at Bowser re-emerging from lava, skin burnt off emitting a blood curdling scream. o_0

I was thinking the exact same thing when I battled his zombie-version.

How the hell did this get an E?

Posted by Bebop

Quoting The X: I was thinking the exact same thing when I battled his zombie-version.

How the hell did this get an E?

THANKS FOR RUINING MY ENTIRE GAME AND LIFE I HATE YOU!!!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Bebop: THANKS FOR RUINING MY ENTIRE GAME AND LIFE I HATE YOU!!!

ITS COOL HES NOT THE LAST BOSS

THE LAST BOSS IS COOLER

SERIOUSLY.

Posted by The Legend of Me

New SMB is the best DS game Eva!

Posted by Litbut

Amazingly fun game. I'm playing through a second time.

Posted by TendoAddict

I liked the game, but it was way to easy.

The bosses were cake, non of them took over two minutes to beat. Even the last boss was silly easy. The levels themselfs were also easy, the three coins in each level were not even that challenging considering my first play through I never got under two coins per stage.

The Power ups are also weak. The shell was worthless in the game and took up room. The Mini shroom was just a frabricated item to get to hidden areas. The big shroom was fun but still not as compelling as I would of hoped.

The new move's were under used aswell. The butt pound did do much and the wall jump never met it's protentail.

But I have to say its the best game on the DS, flaws aside.

Posted by Burrito

Quoting TendoAddict: The new move's were under used aswell. The butt pound did do much and the wall jump never met it's protentail.

I disagree, I ended up using these moves a lot and I thought they were a great addition to the game. I agree with mostly everything else that you said, though.

Posted by The Legend of Me

Yes i agree, the boss fight's were way to easy.

Posted by GameMiestro

I really wanted to get this game, but I never had the time. It doesn't seem too revolutionary, though, so I guess I could skip over it... :(

Quoted post: It doesn't seem too revolutionary,

that's the point. :cookie:

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting GameMiestro: I really wanted to get this game, but I never had the time. It doesn't seem too revolutionary, though, so I guess I could skip over it... :(

Oh the game was very excellent. You should get it.

I just felt that it could of been better.

Posted by Arczu

Well the game looks apetizing and all, but how does the 2-player work? That's one thing I was looking forward to in that game. I'm going to get it next week. Any sayers?

I'm going to let my sister have the current DS, and I'll get a DS lite. She pratically claims the thing when I lend it to her, so not too much lost (other than what I paid for it but hey...)

Quoted post: but how does the 2-player work? That's one thing I was looking forward to in that game. I'm going to get it next week. Any sayers?

Hook two up, get thrown onto a map, run around an collect stars. That's pretty much it, though it somehow manages to be pretty fun.

Posted by Zeta

Haven't got it yet. Debating whether to buy it, or save up for Yggdra Union/Wii/whatev.

Wii is months away. If you can't save up another forty bucks by then, then maybe you don't deserve to live?

Posted by Zeta

I still don't have a job, and I probably won't get one during the summer since I'm supposed to be moving. So Christmas and my birthday are still my main source of income.

Learn the art of mootching. Five bucks here and there, and BAM, you have more than enough.

But yeah, if it really comes down to NSMB or something else you really want, I wouldn't say the game is worth it. Might as well just rent it and be done.

Posted by Ant

With Yggdra Union you could always just get the rom :o

So I'd go with Mario, considering DS roms aren't computer playable yet.

Quoted post: So I'd go with Mario, considering DS roms aren't computer playable yet.

I have seen otherwise. Or so I recall.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Vampiro]that's the point. :cookie:

I meant that it doesn't seem like it will be remembered in the halls of gaming fame for all eternity, and I won't be labeled "blasphemous" if I don't buy it.

[quote=Ant]With Yggdra Union you could always just get the rom :o

So I'd go with Mario, considering DS roms aren't computer playable yet.

Yes, DS roms are avaliable. They are also for idiots... :)

Posted by Ant

Well, I figured the roms were avaliable where you upload them onto a GBA cart and play them thru that on the DS. But I've yet to see one workable on computer for commerical games.

Posted by RedEyesDragon

You can dream....>_>

Quoted post: But I've yet to see one workable on computer for commerical games.

I think I've seen Ouendan... that was a few months back though. So I'm not 100% positive.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

What the hell, fags? SPOILER WARNING.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Ant: With Yggdra Union you could always just get the rom :o.

I'd do that, but it's kinda hard to lug a computer and moniter to school, and every other place I'd bring a DS.

[quote=Wings]What the hell, fags? SPOILER WARNING.

MASSIVE SPOILER: MARIO SAVES PEACH!

I'm talking about Zombie [spoiler]Jesus[/spoiler] Bowser getting burned, or whatever. What the hell?

Or I'm just missing the joke completely.

Posted by Zeta

Nah, the Zombie Bowser thing is true apparently. ****ing Crocomire wannabe.

Spoil: [spoiler]Bowser Jr. revives him after that fight, though.[/spoiler]

Okay. Now I'm annoyed about the email notification not using spoiler tags properly. Urg.

Ah well, nvm. It's not like I was going to think OMG PLOT TWIST anyway.

Posted by andrewg

is this game good or bad? my friend said bad, but he's not a good source.

Then you should know not to trust what he says by now.

Posted by XxLionheartXx

buying it this week

Posted by andrewg

"Then you should know not to trust what he says by now."

true, but i mean hes not a good source of just videogame knowledge, other things he is a good source.

Posted by coromoro

I love New Super Mario Bros. It brings back the memories of the SNES days. :)

Posted by Arczu

Holy sh*t. I've been playing this all day today. I swear I've grasped this and can't seem to let it go. It's that good!

Hell, my brother and sister have been at it too. This game really IS good. Glad I bought it. Taking elements from many Mario games and mixing them up.

Posted by VirtualRealityZone

Quoting andrewg: is this game good or bad? my friend said bad, but he's not a good source.

Wow...your friend should go shoot himself in the head. This IS a great game. And on top of that it is the first "new" side-scrolling mario bros. game in like ten years. :D

You should definetly pick it up.

Posted by Zeta

Question I've been meaning to ask: Are there Donut Lifts?

Posted by Arczu

There are some, though not many if I recall some stages. Those ones that fall and look like donuts eh?

Really now, It took me THIS long to figure out how to get to world 4 and 7...

Quoting Zeta: Question I've been meaning to ask: Are there Donut Lifts?

Yes, Zeta. There are some. :D

Posted by Apathetic

I love this game, I havent played a super mario bros since the gameboy pocket. Hooray!

Posted by PhlyntheKT

X-play said it was lacking. I think it will be kinda cool.

Quoting Phlynthe: X-play said it was lacking. I think it will be kinda cool.

Lacking?? wtf...

No they didn't they just said it was a tad too short...which it is. Get it right buddy ;)

Posted by ShadowWizard

Yeah New Super Mario Bros is a really great game. It's great to finally be playing a mario platformer again. I wish it was a little longer though.

Posted by pokemon007

i haven't got it yet but i want to. it sounds great!!!!!!!

Posted by Dexter

I just defeated the game yesterday, although there's still a few star coins left for me to grab. It was fun, but very short. I could've easily finished it within one day if I had the chance. Not sure which world was my favorite. Perhaps world 7, Sky. The world themes were so clichéd though, but I suppose it is Mario after all.

I want to watch Charles Martinet do the voice acting.

Posted by Drewboy64

I beat it, but I still love playing it. I didn't think it was that short, but then again, I am terrible at Mario Bros games. But it is a great game. My favorite world was 6 or 8 (forget which)... The mountain-esque one, wiht the cliffs you had to hang on to or sidle on.

Posted by kingcobra

I played it and it is the best ver. I played so for I am in world 3 of it and I am also enjoying the mini games too.

Posted by Colonel

You bumped this 7 month old thread to tell me that!

Posted by Shade

Colonel. Who the **** cares? He's allowed to post.

Posted by Proto Man

I was able to snag this game on sale at Target. Saved me 11 bucks! Anyways, I "beat" the game, but now I am going back trying to get all the secret levels and such. That aspect of the game IS pretty hard, which is why I like it. Still bummed out that there is no co-op mode :(

Quoted post: That aspect of the game IS pretty hard

No it's not. It's incredibly easy. 100% completion doesn't take a whole lot of skill or time.

Posted by Dexter

Not at all. I nearly did it on my first time through the game. I only had to do a few backtracking to get 100%. It wasn't that gratifying.