Trust a Brit to be inpolite.

Posted by Speedfreak

Whilst the rest of the Nintendo reps are wearing forced smiles and commenting on certain forms of flattery, the UK Nintendo boss tells it like it is:

[quote]

Nintendo UK boss David Yarnton has hit out at Sony

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Didn't Nintendo also copy the rumble feature?

Anywho, at least someone in the company said it.

Posted by Speedfreak

Nintendo have actually invented very little. They're not a hardware company, they're an entertainment software company. What they create are new uses for existing, proven technology, it's their mantra.

With rumble they came up with the idea of putting it in a traditional gaming controller and making it a standard feature of games. There had been force feedback before, but they either took the form of an entire vest that pretty much randomly vibrated or a PC joystick with extremely limited support. Nintendo were the first to really support it and make it a standard feature, and it's quite safe to say Sony wouldn't have done it if Nintendo didn't.

Same goes for things like analog sticks.

They did invent D-pads and lightguns, though.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Speedfreak:
They did invent D-pads and lightguns, though.

Oh and don't forget the Ultrahand.

Anyhow, yeah I read that. I find it kinda funny. It's true though, you really can't name anything Nintendo copied off of someone else.

Posted by TendoAddict

Nintendo , while not the inventer, was the first to apply things to gaming. They were the first to put it on a system and, for the most part, make it work. ( the power glove and Virtual boy had good heart though :) )

Sony on the other hand just takes from nintendo.

The guy is mostly right, but that last statement is a little shaky

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting TendoAddict: ( the power glove and Virtual boy had good heart though :) )

Eh, the Power Glove was Mattel.

Quoted post: The guy is mostly right, but that last statement is a little shaky

How so? I thought he was spot on!

Posted by GameMiestro

Another Nintendo official thinks Sony is a plague in the world of video gaming. Big deal.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Speedfreak: With rumble they came up with the idea of putting it in a traditional gaming controller and making it a standard feature of games.

First game to have that on a Nintendo console was Star Fox 64, correct? I remember seeing some promotional video from Nintendo Power mentioning it, where guys from Sony and Sega (both made out to be dumb thugs) supposedly kidnapped Nintendo employees to get the scoop on SF64... all with really bad acting.

"You didn't tell them about the Rumble Feature, did you??"
"No, Bob... you just did."

Posted by Klarth

I got that video! Hell, I probably still have it lying around. I remember all my friends being convinced it was real at the time. :(

But yeah, SF64 was the first N64 game which was widely-publicised as having rumble functionality. However, they slyly stuck the compatibility into the western release of Super Mario 64 - The Japanese version didn't have this. It was planned for a while.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I thought only the Player's Choice version of Mario 64 had the rumble feature. I've always got my Rumble Pak in my N64 controller because I like the extra weight, and it didn't rumble while I was replaying Mario 64 the 20 or so times since I got it.

Posted by Speedfreak

Prince is right, the initial versions of Mario 64 didn't support rumble. I got mine about a month after launch and our Mario 64 didn't have rumble.

Posted by Burrito

Quoting Linko_16: First game to have that on a Nintendo console was Star Fox 64, correct? I remember seeing some promotional video from Nintendo Power mentioning it, where guys from Sony and Sega (both made out to be dumb thugs) supposedly kidnapped Nintendo employees to get the scoop on SF64... all with really bad acting.

"You didn't tell them about the Rumble Feature, did you??"
"No, Bob... you just did."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHzYMoAVxIk&search=nintendo%20power%20starfox :)

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Protoman: Eh, the Power Glove was Mattel.
Mattle made but It was for the Nes.

http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/repository/nes/peripherals/powerglove.html

The UltraHand wasnt even electronic.

[quote]How so? I thought he was spot on!

Nintendo did coppy anything from THIS industry but they applyed other technologies from other industrys.

Touch Screen wasnt nintendo.

Nintendo Didnt make the FIRST rumble

Analog sticks in general? Nintendo Wasnt first.

Nintendo DID apply those to the home system market and made it work.

But they did copp... er... were Inspired by outside sources.

Posted by Proto Man

It was the Japanese re-release of SM64 that had rumble. We never got that version in the US.

Quoting TendoAddict: Mattle made but It was for the Nes.

http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/repository/nes/peripherals/powerglove.html

The UltraHand wasnt even electronic.

Of course I knew it was for the NES, but my point was, Ninty didn't make that, and you tried to list it as if they did. My point with the UltraHand was that I was just adding to the stuff that Nintendo DID invent.

As for the other stuff, yeah I knew that too. The thing is though, the way Nintendo uses the different technology, it's not really copying. Not like Sony did with rumble, and now the motion sensor stuff.

Posted by Axis

Quoting Burrito: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHzYMoAVxIk&search=nintendo%20power%20starfox :)

Oh ***...my ears. :(

How many hardware engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?

sony exec: "Why?! Did Nintendo change theirs, or something?!"

Posted by TendoAddict

[quote]Of course I knew it was for the NES, but my point was, Ninty didn't make that, and you tried to list it as if they did.

I didnt say that they made it. I said they tryed to make it work and be succeful. It didnt.

Even though it was made by another company it was nintendo who tryed to make good. Like if you give a artiest a easels and paint. You supplyed the nessesities and he made them work. Unfortunately for Nintendo they PowerGlove didnt go so well.

[quote] The thing is though, the way Nintendo uses the different technology, it's not really copying.

It still is Coppying, just because it came from another market and was new in another industry doesnt change anything.

This ofcourse doesnt mean their on sony's level of coppying. Nintendo Was the first to put it in the Gaming market and should get a pat on the back. Its just that saying Nintendo has never coppyed PERIOD is shaky. They havent coppied in the Industry but taken good ideas from other industrys.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=TendoAddict]It still is Coppying, just because it came from another market and was new in another industry doesnt change anything.

Copying means doing the same thing, not using the same technology. Nintendo only ever use proven technology and use it in a different way, they never invent brand new technology nor do they do anything just because someone else is.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Speedfreak: they never invent brand new technology.

They did invent the D-Pad though.

If you look at the technology behind the d-pad, though, you realize that it's just an Atari control stick for your thumb. Much more comfortable and easier to control, but the circuitry is exactly the same.

Posted by Speedfreak

Exactly, it's just circuitry for 4 buttons and a plastic cross on a pivot that prevent 2 opposite buttons from being pressed at the same time.