Wii games at the conference were played on Gmaecubes

Posted by nich

The folks at the Nintendo Nsider forrums have discovered something interesting, apparently all the Wiis at E3 were just empty shells with lights and all games were running on Gamecubes. Several people have claimed they re-watched the conference and saw them on stage with Miyamoto. I figured this was the case, after all developers dont have final kits yet, as far as I know. Anyway, this could mean a graphical upgrade for wii games in the future.

link with pics: http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=revolution&message.id=1159528

EDIT: title typo, lol

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Old news. Chances are it means absolutely nothing. since those are pretty close to final and none of the developers have ever expected a big leap in graphical abilities. What we saw will probably end up being what we get, just with the obvious improvements after a few more months in development that is.

Posted by Bebop

Quite interesting. But true? I dont think so.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Vampiro: Old news. Chances are it means absolutely nothing. since those are pretty close to final and none of the developers have ever expected a big leap in graphical abilities. What we saw will probably end up being what we get, just with the obvious improvements after a few more months in development that is.

Retro Studios says that Prime 3 will look a lot better when it's out.

Posted by GameMiestro

I don't think Nintendo would be that bent on trickery...

Posted by nich

Quoting Bebop: Quite interesting. But true? I dont think so.

It's official, I can't find the link but Nintendo said something like "the games were running on technology specifically designed for the show but were housed in Gamecubes." I'll look for the link again.

Edit: ok, found it.
http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=12739

Nintendo confirmed that they did indeed use GameCube housing, but that the "guts" or internal architecture was certainly from the Wii. "The Wii hardware we exhibited at E3 2006 was made specifically for the E3 show and is not the final mass-production version. Some of this hardware was cased in Nintendo GameCube housing," the company explained.

Well there ya go.

Posted by Bebop

What does that mean? Made for the show? The graphics will be better? I dont undersatnd.

Posted by nich

I have no idea. Its not the final hardware but it is Wii hardware, I take it as they have finalizing to do.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Retro Studios says that Prime 3 will look a lot better when it's out.

So will just about every other game between E3 and november.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Bebop]What does that mean? Made for the show? The graphics will be better? I dont undersatnd.

They're basically devkits.