How they should fix Metroid Prime 3's Controls

Posted by Drewboy64

First off, the aiming box is a necessity, because wihtout it you would have a problem of turning and recentering the remote. On a PC, you can move it and pick the mouse up and bring it back to the center, but you can't with a remote, and an aiming box gets rid of that problem.
However, in the game, it's hard to do a quick 180 degree turn and sometimes turning seems too sluggish for FPS-style controls. If the controls were better, why would they still need a lock on system?
Well, what they need to do is first of all, make the invisible aiming box a circle, like in zelda, so there aren't corners in the aiming box where it's harder to turn. Another thing to do is to make the aiming box a lot smaller. This will make it more like an FPS, while fixing the pick-up-the-mouse problem.
Of course, there also needs to be an opotion to adjust sensitivity.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Have you played the game?

To be honest, only those who've played the game really pass for qualified opinions.

Posted by GameMiestro

What exactly is wrong with the controls? Of course they'll add some form of lock on, and the remote is accurate as it is, so I don't see much wrong with it.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: What exactly is wrong with the controls? Of course they'll add some form of lock on, and the remote is accurate as it is, so I don't see much wrong with it.

There's all ready lock-on. Though there shouldn't be if the controls worked as they should.

Oh, and what the videos/read the impressions to find out what's wrong.

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting The X: Have you played the game?

To be honest, only those who've played the game really pass for qualified opinions.

I've seen it, and I can tell that it's not easy enough to turn, and Matt Casamassina, who HAS played it, mentioned the controls weren't as good as they could be.

Also, as Vampiro said, they shouldn't need a lock on if the controls work how they should.

Posted by GameMiestro

Of course we need lock on, unless you plan on using the Wi-fi remote 2 inches away from the screen (duck-hunt cheating, anyone? :cookie: )

Quoted post: Of course we need lock on, unless you plan on using the Wi-fi remote 2 inches away from the screen (duck-hunt cheating, anyone? )

... uh, no.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Vampiro]... uh, no.

Really now, who didn't do that at least once in their NES lifetimes? It's the only way you could have a reasonable chance of getting a good score. Same thing with the Wii. Either the power beam will have to have a explosion radius that takes up a fifth of the screen, there will be lock on, or the game will be impossibly difficult. Either that or the baddies will move extremely slowly (next most likely scenario)

The Wiimote isn't a lightgun...

Posted by Drewboy64

Besides, why would you do that at all? It would take all the fun out, and it'd be a pain in the *** to sit two inches from the TV. We definately don't need a lock on in Metroid Prime 3.

Metroid Prime Hunters, for example, doesn't have a lock on, and it has great control. MP3 should be similar to that.

They need the aiming box smaller, like the tv at the bottom in my horribly crude drawing:[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/Drewboy64/mp3asdf.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by GameMiestro

Thats one enormous aiming box... er, circle...

[quote][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#00ff00]Besides, why would you do that at all? It would take all the fun out, and it'd be a pain in the *** to sit two inches from the TV. We definately don't need a lock on in Metroid Prime 3.

Metroid Prime Hunters, for example, doesn't have a lock on, and it has great control. MP3 should be similar to that.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=#00ff00][/COLOR][/FONT]
I'm getting at the fact that this will be one seriously difficult game to play unless they give us some sort of help... imaging playing Hunters with the stylus a foot away from the screen. It would be difficult.

Quoted post: I'm getting at the fact that this will be one seriously difficult game to play unless they give us some sort of help... imaging playing Hunters with the stylus a foot away from the screen. It would be difficult.

You have no idea how the wiimote works, do you?

Posted by Pit

Still needs a lock on to make the game feel like A metroid rather than a regular FPS.

Quoted post: Still needs a lock on to make the game feel like A metroid rather than a regular FPS.

No it doesn't.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Vampiro: No it doesn't.

Shut up

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Vampiro]You have no idea how the wiimote works, do you?

I think I have a pretty good idea. Do you?

Yeah, and it's not a lightgun. Whether you're two inces or five feet away from your TV, it won't really matter, since that's not how it works.

Posted by Drewboy64

Think of it more like a mouse. You move the mouse a small distance and the cursor moves a big one. anyway, how is the aiming circle big? It's a perfect size compared to the actual apparent aiming box.

Posted by PWND_U_IN_MK

Better Idea.
Step 1: Knock off all this "Prime" Bullshat. You tried, you failed, it's ok nintendo we forgive you.

Step 2: Make more "real" Metroid games, with 3D "models" only. 3D things in a 2D enviromnet it works! Look at the New super mario bros. People eat that stuff up. Now do it with Metroid, and on a real concsle not a portable one. Thanx

Quoted post: Step 1: Knock off all this "Prime" Bullshat. You tried, you failed, it's ok nintendo we forgive you.

You're an idiot. Plus, this is the last Prime game.

Quoted post:
Step 2: Make more "real" Metroid games, with 3D "models" only. 3D things in a 2D enviromnet it works! Look at the New super mario bros. People eat that stuff up. Now do it with Metroid, and on a real concsle not a portable one. Thanx

People don't buy 2D on consoles anymore. That's why they've been banished to portables for the most part, and even then, they rarely show up on the PSP.

Posted by Drewboy64

That's a good idea. Drop the potentially perfect prime scheme on the Wii and loose all the immersive 3d environments.

Posted by PWND_U_IN_MK

Quoting Vampiro]this is the last Prime game.

Thank Gawd.

Quoting Vampiro: People don't buy 2D on consoles anymore.

Bullshat, look at SSBM.

Quoting Vampiro: They rarely show up on the PSP.

Again, were talking about "Metroid", which you can't play on the PSP..."legally" : That's a good idea. Drop the potentially perfect prime scheme on the Wii and loose all the immersive 3d environments.

Hell Yeah, Imersion my arse! Make it fun, and challengeing. I fell asleep playng the last two primes, better control of my gun won't fix that.

Quoted post: Bullshat, look at SSBM.

Fighters and compilations aren't included. I kinda figured that would be obvious.

Quoted post: Again, were talking about "Metroid", which you can't play on the PSP..."legally"

I used it as an example. I'm saying 2D games are a dying breed. They still do well on handhelds, but now certain systems like the PSP are doing away with them.

Posted by PWND_U_IN_MK

Quoting Vampiro: Fighters and compilations aren't included. I kinda figured that would be obvious.

A 2D fighter is a 2D game.

Now are you trying to say that 2D sidescrollers are a dying breed? Because there is alot of good 2D stuff out there.

Hey um, contra.

Quoted post: A 2D fighter is a 2D game.

Really? Oh man, thanks I didn't realise that. Fighters just tend to do better than other 2D games. But even then, we're seeing less and less of them. Games like Smash, VJ and Guilty Gears are really the only 2D games I can recall (btw Smash uses 3D models and worlds).

Quoted post: Now are you trying to say that 2D sidescrollers are a dying breed? Because there is alot of good 2D stuff out there.

2D games ARE a dying breed. Look at the GC/PS2/Xbox libraries... notice how there's very little 2D games? The ones that ARE 2D are usually just compilations or fighters. Most of those don't even sell to well anymore. Why? Because people like pretty graphics, which is something 2D games can't give you, no matter how good they look.

Posted by PWND_U_IN_MK

Quoting Vampiro: (btw Smash uses 3D models and worlds).

Which is exactly right! SSB show us that a 2D game can be kickass on a consle.
Remember adventure mode from Melee? I would have loved if they made games like that.

Quoted post: Which is exactly right! SSB show us that a 2D game can be kickass on a consle.
Remember adventure mode from Melee? I would have loved if they made games like that.

whoosh

Posted by PWND_U_IN_MK

Quoting Vampiro: whoosh

The circles, we talk in them, no?

Posted by Drewboy64

a 2d PLANE metroid would be pretty cool, but there is no problem wiht the Prime games.

And yes, better controls CAN improve the excitement level, because it could provide more exciting and intense battles.

Quoted post: The circles, we talk in them, no?

No, you're just dumb.