Side Quests

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I've found myself more and more swayed to mess around with side-quests in games - some are boring, but I've found that a large number of them provide almost as much entertainment and character growth as the main plot - the side-plots in Knights of the Old Republic being the best example.

Do you prefer to play game in its entirety, side-quests et al, or just stick to the main plot, then move on to the next game?

Posted by Inferno

I usually always do any side quests I can find. I don't know why, but I love it. It just develops the game more and lets you gets things that you can't if you stick to the main quest. Sometimes it depends on how far into the game I am though. I don't really like doing a bunch of side quests early on in a game, I'd much rather do the ones closer to the end.

Posted by Zeta

I do side-quests, unless I don't get a reward or anything for it. I skip those ones.

Posted by GameMiestro

I like sidequests, sometimes. One's in games like Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga are worth it, as they are genuinely a lot of fun, and the rewards help immensely with the main quest of the game. Same goes for Pokemon. In games like Zelda, they can get annoying, though...

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

If I'm doing a side-quest, it feels slightly empty, as I know that what I'm doing isn't really adding to my eventual completion of the game. However, if I'm stuck on a mission in the main story, I'll dick around for a bit. In San Andreas, for example, I can just bugger around, collecting money, buying houses, taking my girlfriend out, and not really care about progressing the story. Zelda, however, I get very bored doing the side missions. Go figure.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I always do side-quests, and usually every single one. Who cares if you don't get anything for it or if it doesn't impact really much of anything, most are still fun. Plus, with games like Oblivion and Zelda, they can give insight to parts o the story, boost stats, or provide new items.

Posted by Klarth

I always do sidequests before I finish the game.

Chrono Trigger wins eternally.

Posted by TendoAddict

I do alot of side quests. But I dont like the ones that dont help much at all. I enjot the story but I invest my time in results not some pat on the back and a thank you.

I'll do it if the going is good but the weak quests are left to die.

Posted by Fate

It makes me feel incomplete to do skip them, so I do them. Most of the time, it just adds to the fun of the game. Personally, when I play my games, I like to enjoy every last dollar I spent on it, and then some.

Posted by Speedfreak

Side-quests are like a second helping to me. If I like the game I'll want more, if I don't I won't.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Personally, when I play my games, I like to enjoy every last dollar I spent on it, and then some.

Exactly. It turns what could be a fifty hour game into an eighty hour game. I almost feel like I'm ripping myself off to not complete them. Much like it would feel to give up on a perfectly fine game halfway through.

Posted by Linko_16

Vampiro, Fate and Speedfreak all summed it up quite nicely for me.

Posted by CheekayChops

I tend to try and do everything in the game..Most side quests tend to be a lot of fun anyways (chocobo breeding and racing in FF7, battle frontier in emerald)