Hardest boss

Posted by mrwrite3000

Who do you think is the hardest RPG boss you've ever fought?

Mine's Culex (Mario RPG).

Posted by GameMiestro

...deja vu?

Anyways, I'd say any of the bosses where you're forced to lose. Like the first time you face the Light Sage in Lost Magic. I got to the point where I was such a high level that I could stand next to him and allow him to pummel me with spells, and I would still lose because time would run out... :(

Posted by Zeta

The one and only time I fought Booster in Super Mario RPG, I got my *** handed to me. Badly, I might add.

Posted by GameMiestro

I remeber trying to go through Final Fantasy Tactics Advance with doing nothing but the main battles. I got owned so many times it's not even funny. Especially memorable was Llednar killing Marche in one hit... :(

Posted by keyartist

A boss that was kind of hard, if you wheren't properly eqp. was the ruby weapon of FF7. But it was well worth the fight.

Posted by mrwrite3000

And not the emerald weapon?

*oh right, fought

Posted by HELLbillie

Omega weapon from ff8 was a challenge and so is ruby weapon and emarld weapon without knights of the round or the underwater materias

Posted by WackoHater2

KHII - Beasts Castle - Ballroom

The boss in there gave me quite a problem on Hard Mode. Thats about it though.

Posted by Forgotten Soul

I think the hardest boss for me that I 'HAD' to fight would have to be Necron from
Final Fantasy IX. He had that status effect that if you didn't cure it before your
guys died then you could not revive them. Yeah, that sucked, I was left with the
princess and her Trance mode for my final attack....Luckily Bahamut came through
for me and took Necron out. w00t!!

Posted by OniRadience

Yuri's dad from Shadow Hearts (the dood with the fox mask) when you fight him in the graveyard. HOLY LORD that was hard. >_>

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Hardest boss? Hmm...

I had a really hard time against Khaos in FF 1 , but I also remeber that Smithy in super marios RPG was pretty hard too, because you had to defeat him twice...

Na. Khaos was harder. :)[/COLOR]

Posted by Zeta

It's 'Chaos'... >_>

Omega and Shinryu from FF5 are *****es.

Posted by S

Rico from Xenogears. You can actually win but its stupid hard to do it because he can pretty much one shot a level 50 and you're only like... level 20 when you reach him. I did it once though, took about three hours of a grueling fight. Take a hit, deal a hit, take a hit, heal. Repeat.

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Thanx Zeta. Haven't played in a while, so I wasen't sure if it was a C or a K -_-[/COLOR]

Posted by Zeta

I hate Bill and Ben from Seiken Densetsu 3 so much.

Posted by Arczu

Nemesis in FFX was kindof a bastard. Just when I thought I had his pattern down... SCWOOM. He goes and uses Armageddon on the turn I don't use the Aeon. I must have had a scratch on my copy or something...

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I think for final bosses, it goes to Zeromus from FF4. That guy was ridiculous. You had to spend days leveling up to even stand a chance against him.

Non-final bosses... Hmmmmm... Anything from the Pure Land in Secret of Mana.

[quote=Xero]Hardest boss? Hmm...

I had a really hard time against Khaos in FF 1 , but I also remeber that Smithy in super marios RPG was pretty hard too, because you had to defeat him twice...

Na. Khaos was harder.
The thing about FF1 is that the damage was so unpredictable. In the original FF1, Chaos had exactly 2,000 hp. That may not seem like a lot, because it isn't. But there are times when your Knight will do 30 damage, and when he will do 600 damage. You can never be sure. Likewise with the spells. You'll use "Nuke" on Chaos, and get 87 damage, then use it again and get 438 damage.

I've killed Chaos in one round, but I've also used that same party and been killed by Chaos within a few rounds.

A really, really tough boss that I'm surprised has not come up yet is Velius from Final Fantasy Tactics. That fight was ridiculous. You really had to strategize. No amount of leveling up was gonna help you for that one. It took me several tries to finally get it by doing some tricky stuff.

Posted by S

On my first round with Wiegrahf, I lost a lot. Eventually I just started to yell and accumulate with Ramza and Wiegrahf's AI looped so he'd never hit me. Finally I hit him for 999 and killed him, and my stats carried over so I two shotted Velius.

But that doesn't mean leveling doesn't matter. By the time I got to Wiegrahf the second time, I 1-shotted him without even trying. I think I was somewhere between level 60 and level 80. I've actually gotten to Lv99 before I was out of Act 1.

But I'd still agree, on the first round, Velius is one tough bastard.

Posted by Xero

Quoting Fei-on Castor: The thing about FF1 is that the damage was so unpredictable. In the original FF1, Chaos had exactly 2,000 hp. That may not seem like a lot, because it isn't. But there are times when your Knight will do 30 damage, and when he will do 600 damage. You can never be sure. Likewise with the spells. You'll use "Nuke" on Chaos, and get 87 damage, then use it again and get 438 damage.

I've killed Chaos in one round, but I've also used that same party and been killed by Chaos within a few rounds.

A really, really tough boss that I'm surprised has not come up yet is Velius from Final Fantasy Tactics. That fight was ridiculous. You really had to strategize. No amount of leveling up was gonna help you for that one. It took me several tries to finally get it by doing some tricky stuff.

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]That annoys me. An attack should have a maximum and a minimum. It makes no sense to deal 30 damages once and then 600. The game turns out to be pure luck.

In FF1 dawn of souls, my attacks don't vary much. Usually the damages are close unless the boss used a defence power.[/COLOR]

Posted by Captain Cleanoff

The final boss in the original Breath of Fire, whose name I forgot. Culex is also a tough one.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Sarevok from Baldur's Gate is the only one that comes to mind. What a bastard.

Posted by Omni

That big ****in' dragon in the secret dungeon in Dragon Warrior III.

Posted by Orlandu

The final guy on Demons Crest for the snes, maybe i was just young a sucked at games at the time, but, I never did beat him. Nor did I beat the final boss on Star Wars:KOTOR.

Posted by ccrocker58

I have to say that the hardest boss I've fought in an RPG was Braska's Final Aeon in FFX...It was the only boss I had ever encountered where I found myself thinking up strategies and attack patterns to beat it while i wasn't playing the game.

Another pretty tough boss was the Fusion Dragon in the original Golden Sun...what was odd about that one was that every other boss was really easy in the game, except Deadbeard, who was moderately challenging, and then you get to this tough as nails boss out of no where.

Posted by darkwhispers

for me... either the Dullahan in golden sun the lost age or sephiroth in ffvii? definately sephiroth It took me an hour to defeat each form even with gameshark(easylevelup to get to level 99) stil fscking difficult

Posted by ccrocker58

Quoting darkwhispers: for me... either the Dullahan in golden sun the lost age or sephiroth in ffvii? definately sephiroth It took me an hour to defeat each form even with gameshark(easylevelup to get to level 99) stil fscking difficult

That's becuase Sephiroths level is adaptive, so the higher your average level (or it may of been Clouds level), the higher his level was. In effect, you were probably fighting a Sephiroth who's specs probably would equate to a level somewhere in the low hundreds lol.

Quoting ccrocker58: I have to say that the hardest boss I've fought in an RPG was Braska's Final Aeon in FFX...It was the only boss I had ever encountered where I found myself thinking up strategies and attack patterns to beat it while i wasn't playing the game.

You have got to be kidding me.

Or you just really haven't played all that many RPGs.

Posted by ccrocker58

Nope. I just really didn't get FFX...I despised the Sphere Grid and was horrible at building my characters with it. Due to this, FFX was probably the only one I didn't enjoy playing that much.

How can you loathe the sphere grid? It's genius. Don't you want all your characters to end up being the same!?

Plus, it's simple as pie. No, it's more simple than that.

Posted by Zeta

Not the hardest boss, but am I the only one that had trouble with Trance Kuja and Necron? Flare Star and Grand Cross always ****ed me. :(

Posted by ccrocker58

Quoting Angelwing: How can you loathe the sphere grid? It's genius. Don't you want all your characters to end up being the same!?

Plus, it's simple as pie. No, it's more simple than that.

I honestly don't know, and to be honest, it sounded like a good idea when I heard about it. But once I started playing, I found that I couldn't stand it. And no, I don't really like all my characters being the same. I like characters to have some differences, I feel it adds a little more strategy to the game since you can't just take any set of characters into battle and know you're going to completely devestate. You need to know what the weaknesses of your enemies are in an area (or a boss) and bring characters that do best to exploit those weaknesses. FFIX did a good job with that, but I feel the 4 person party size was too much and in turn made it one of the easiest Final Fantasy games I've ever played.

Quoting Zeta: Not the hardest boss, but am I the only one that had trouble with Trance Kuja and Necron? Flare Star and Grand Cross always ****ed me. :(

I had no trouble with Kuja, but Necron and his ***forsaken Grand Cross attack had be reloading the game twice. Although this could be because I was a fairly low level as I really just wanted to get the game over with.

[quote]And no, I don't really like all my characters being the same. I like characters to have some differences, I feel it adds a little more strategy to the game since you can't just take any set of characters into battle and know you're going to completely devestate. You need to know what the weaknesses of your enemies are in an area (or a boss) and bring characters that do best to exploit those weaknesses.

That would have been sarcasm on my part, dear boy.

[quote]FFIX did a good job with that, but I feel the 4 person party size was too much and in turn made it one of the easiest Final Fantasy games I've ever played.

Most FF games are (omg) easy to begin with, but I agree that having four characters at once was a little much. A tad to crowded for my liking.

Posted by Orlandu

Quoting Orlandu: The final guy on Demons Crest for the snes, maybe i was just young a sucked at games at the time, but, I never did beat him. Nor did I beat the final boss on Star Wars:KOTOR.

Actually, the first boss was phalanx if not mistaken, I'm talkin bout the secret boss after u get all the items in the game. Maybe it was Phalanx, but, I'm pretty sure he was the first boss.

Posted by Creedence

The hardest bosses I think I ever fought was Gygas off Earthbound (one of the greatest and first rpgs of all time) and Ruby Weapon on FF7. Ruby weapon was one hell of a long fight and you pretty much couldnt win without playing for countless hours to get a gold chocobo to get Knights Of The Round Materia. It was truly a pain in the ***.

Posted by Angerion the Brave

Lavos at the Ocean Palace, esspecially before New Game Plus, that's a rough experience.

But thus far, Gilgamesh & Enkido 2nd confrontation in Final Fantasy XII, took me 3 and a half hours as well as most of my items. Granted, I was WAY ahead of where I was suppose to be, but even than it was a savage fight.

Posted by Red

the hardest boss I probably fought was Sephiroth's second form, of course at the time I was level 99 (gameshark lol) and I believe Sephiroth didn't have a set level..he was always just a certain ammount more then whatever you were, so basically I couldn't beat him.

Posted by veritas

The only boss that I thought was hard was the guy in kingdom hearts. Took me forever to beat him

Posted by Red

Quoting 2fast4u: The only boss that I thought was hard was the guy in kingdom hearts. Took me forever to beat him

care to tell us who it was? there's plenty of bosses in that game.

in that game I found Sephiroth(of course), the guy with the lances(beasts castle), and the guy with the gun(World that never was) to be pretty hard.

Posted by Mefossa

The hardest boss battle I was involved in would have to be the alternate super boss Ozzma from FFIX. He was the voted hardest boss for about 5 yrs. Now it is Freya an Star Ocean: Till the End of Time.

Posted by Zeta

Kaiser Dragon on FF6A. I had two Lv.99 characters, with the cheap ***ly Ultimax5 and Atma/Valiant setups, and he still managed to **** me up once.

Posted by Arczu

[Font=Times New Roman]You know what? That dragon is hella bad-arse. The Red one in the secret dugeon is brutal as hell too.

I swear I'm going to own that game...
[/font]

Posted by Zeta

Haha, I just remembered that fight. I only survived with Mog in mid-air during a Jump attack. I like how they made that fight one big endurance test. :)

Posted by GameMiestro

Beating Dhaos in ToS for the GBA kinda drove me nuts. It wouldn't have been so bad if that battle didn't take FOREVER to finish...

Posted by William

[quote]I think for final bosses, it goes to Zeromus from FF4. That guy was ridiculous. You had to spend days leveling up to even stand a chance against him.

o_O Yeah he was ridiculous. Ridiculously easy. I don't see how anyone can have an issue with him.

The hardest boss that I've encountered...

Either:

ExDeath (Tree form) from Final Fantasy V - I had a hard time with him, probably because of the jobs I was using. But he killed me quite a few times before I was able to beat him.

Or.

Ultimate Being from Parasite Eve - Had trouble with it too, considering I didn't have enough ammo/items by the time I got to it. So many **** forms to beat and having to converse ammo was a pain.

Posted by veritas

Quoting Red: care to tell us who it was? there's plenty of bosses in that game.

in that game I found Sephiroth(of course), the guy with the lances(beasts castle), and the guy with the gun(World that never was) to be pretty hard.

I forget his name but I got warped back to the begining island. I hopped into this dome place and donald and goofy couldn't get through. He had a bodyguard as well.