Maple Story DS

Posted by coromoro

"Here's an interesting bit of news that has gone largely unnoticed. Maple Story, a free 2D MMORPG by Wizet and published by Nexon, will be hitting the Nintendo DS. It looks like Nexon is actually collaborating with Nintendo on the project. If there is any MMORPG that could work with the DS, other than Pokemon, it's this.

For now, whether or not the game will be released outside of Korea is unknown. However, this announcement was at E3 so who knows? I might actually go back to playing it if it's on the DS... I quit after Wizet backstabbed its fans by deleting their beta characters after repeatedly denying it would happen. Still, it's a good game for beginners to the MMORPG genre. The learning curve is not very great at all and it's completely free to play. It's not a flash game, you'll have to download the file at their official website."

[url=http://mmorpg.qj.net/Nintendo-DS-First-MMORPG-Maple-Story/pg/49/aid/39985]Website.[/url]

Though no official images have been shown yet, I thought that since a lot of you play Maple Story, you'd be interested to know about the title coming to the DS. It is still unknown on whether or not it's coming to North America, but it's interesting nonetheless. :cool:

Posted by MGamer

sounds pretty sweet the ds needs an mmo and the only thing it could run would be a 2d game so it fits.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I really cant see this appealing to anyone over the age of 10. The gameplay is SO repetitive its not even funny.

Posted by coromoro

Quoting Lord of Spam: I really cant see this appealing to anyone over the age of 10. The gameplay is SO repetitive its not even funny.

Oh, trust me, this would get an unbelievable amount of attention. :p: Just think of the Maple Story fans here. :o

Posted by Iris

Eh, I don't see much appeal to it if it's not online.

Posted by maian

...Where's Gunbound? Maple Story gets too old, too fast.

I would die if GB went to DS.

Posted by GameMiestro

Would it still be great if I never use multiplayer?

To me, that's what matters.

Posted by Burrito

Quoting Iris: Eh, I don't see much appeal to it if it's not online.

Why wouldn't it be online? It seems to me thats what the whole point of this game is.

Posted by Alastor

Playing offline wouldn't be a bad option to me. I'd enjoy the privacy whilst training, if anything. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't have an online mode, though. This seems like a neat idea for the fans, though I get the feeling that they won't include a feature to link up your DS with your MapleStory PC account.

Posted by Lord of Spam

GB DS?

YES PLS.

Posted by coromoro

Quoting Lord of Spam: GB DS?

YES PLS.

Ohh, GunBound for DS would be a thing I'd look forward to. :cool:

I think it could be likely, seeing as both Maple Story and GunBound are Korean games. :p:

Posted by Alastor

Well, yeah, GBDS would own the hell out of MSDS. I don't really see it happening, but if MapleStory is making the leap, then I can't think of any real reason why Gunbound shouldn't.

Bottom screen: Minimap of the field, items, wind, etc.
Top screen: Hawt action?

'course I imagine that's pretty much what MS would be like, but then "Hawt action" would turn into more of a fill in the blank.

Posted by Linkman

Gunbound DS would be great.

Anyway, I used to joke about the existance of a Maple Story DS when I was greatly obsessed with the game last year. Saying how it'd be so great, but it'd never ever happen. I'll need more details before I can have a real opinion on it, though.

Now, excuse me while I choke down this irony..

Posted by Arczu

I wonder about this one's execution. If Is it going to be like the computer version? Or is it going to be a crossover with the computer version? Wait wait.. it can't. There's no keyboard for example, then there's the mic.

I wonder how this is going to turn out...

Posted by ~vampire~

Maple story on DS HAS to be online. Fighting on a map all alone with nobody to chat with is lame and boring. Knowing the DS is not so good at yet at making online games, I dont think I'd buy it.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Frankly I don't understand why MS is considered an addictive game. I hated the key configuration of it, and it felt like playing one of those little games on a site, that are fun the first 3 times, but become immensely boring. I still have it on my PC though, so maybe when I get REAL bored I'll play with it and try to see why its considered addictive. Well if you like it, you like it. And anyway, I'll buy it for the DS anyway, since I think that kind of game is perfect for the DS. I don't think computer MS accounts should link up either...

Posted by Alastor

Quoting NightmareBassX: Frankly I don't understand why MS is considered an addictive game. I hated the key configuration of it

You did know that every key is customizable, right?

Posted by ~vampire~

Quoting Alastor: You did know that every key is customizable, right?

Exactly. Also, you dont have to use them all. I use the space bar to attack, Z to pick up and CTRL to use spells. Aside from that I just use the menu bar on the bottom right to do everything else.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Alastor: You did know that every key is customizable, right?

I was expecting somebody to say that.

Thing is, whenever I tried to change the move commands, it didn't work, nor attack and jump. But thats aside from why I don't look at it as an addictive game.

Now Gunbound... Thats fun. I just dled it today (Because I saw what you guys said) and I like it alot. I don't think it could really fit in well with the NDS's screens though, it would give me the feeling it was too small.

I'm not trying to say its a bad game. No, I actually like it. But I wasn't able to immerse myself. Maybe I'll start playing around with it, and see if I get addicted. I think the main reason I didn't like it was because I was WAY too used to World Of Warcraft, and Counter-strike : Source key bindings, so you can understand my frustration.

Posted by Alastor

No doubt in my mind that WoW is better than MS, and I've never even played WoW.

That aside, I don't see how you could be too used to multiple bindings. MS is nowhere near the same type of game as WoW or CS:S. I know that you can get a habit of one bind (I had a bad habit of hitting y before chatting for a few weeks, for example, after playing Star Wars: JKA), but MS runs at an entirely different pace. I hated the default controls, but they're alot more tolerable once you change them to your own tastes.

Posted by ExoXile

I was thinking if this would be possible.
If it comes out to the DS I'll definitley buy it, just cuz having a hueg online game on the DS would be purty kewl.

Posted by ~vampire~

Quoting NightmareBassX:

Now Gunbound... Thats fun. I just dled it today (Because I saw what you guys said) and I like it alot. I don't think it could really fit in well with the NDS's screens though, it would give me the feeling it was too small.

Gunbound use to be fun until the day where they fecking changed it. Now players can only rent items and then they lose it so they have to re-pay for the rent and if they dint play enough, they dont get enough gold and their naked on their gun shooter :(

Back on topic, WoW, I've never played the game really. I want to, but I cant play VGs much these days so I would pretty much pay for nothing. My opinion is alastor's, WoW is better than MS.

Posted by Shade

***, I hope this'll come out. Srsly, think of Maple Story... but with an actual story!

And it'd include online play, of course.

Oh! And more classes, way more classes. Like, 29 more.

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Shade: ***, I hope this'll come out. Srsly, think of Maple Story... but with an actual story!

And it'd include online play, of course.

Oh! And more classes, way more classes. Like, 29 more.

Do you honestly think Wizet would include a story, let alone new classes? :(

Posted by Shade

Psh, they'd have to include a story for single play. Otherwise it's just the same thing, but... without people.

Posted by Alastor

Which would sell like hotcakes to the Japanese and Korean crowd, amirite?

Spoiler: Arwen's Glass Shoe becomes a devastating plot twist.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Alastor: No doubt in my mind that WoW is better than MS, and I've never even played WoW.

That aside, I don't see how you could be too used to multiple bindings. MS is nowhere near the same type of game as WoW or CS:S. I know that you can get a habit of one bind (I had a bad habit of hitting y before chatting for a few weeks, for example, after playing Star Wars: JKA), but MS runs at an entirely different pace. I hated the default controls, but they're alot more tolerable once you change them to your own tastes.

I mean the "wsda" key configuration for WoW and CS:S. The whole pressing y thing was easily avoided in CSS by changing Team chat to enter, and all chat to \. =D

Its not that Im too adjusted, it just feels uncomfortable. It didn't hinder my gameplay really in any way, just made me a tad bit slower.

Posted by Iris

Ooh, we should be able to choose party characters, like in Final Fantasy.

Posted by ~vampire~

Quoting Shade: Psh, they'd have to include a story for single play. Otherwise it's just the same thing, but... without people.

Exactly. I'm not gonna kill snails/trees/mushrooms for hours all by myself with no chat and trading. It sucks.

Posted by Shade

Dude you read the part where I said, "with a story"?

Posted by ~vampire~

Yes I would like it much more with lil missions to actually have a purpose to kill so much.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting ~vampire~: Yes I would like it much more with lil missions to actually have a purpose to kill so much.

Go play World of Warcraft. You'll love it.

Posted by Sean the Wicked

I was obsessed with MS for awhile, but than I remembered how pointless it was, so I stopped. I only go on for an hour or so during the double EXP weekends so I can have something to do while waiting to do...other things. I don't ever plan on buying a DS, so the whole topic of MSDS is moot to me, but if I did have a DS, I probably wouldn't buy it unless I saw it in a bargain bin for less than 15 dollars.

Quoting NightmareBassX: Go play World of Warcraft. You'll love it.

I believe one Leroy Jenkins is enough.

Posted by ~vampire~

Quoting NightmareBassX: Go play World of Warcraft. You'll love it.

I wish I could, but my time these days does not permit me to play, but maybe during the summer I'll go for it.

Posted by Shade

*** I hate World of Warcraft. That's all I hear about, "omg man wow is teh mad skillz an props yooooo."

EVERYBODY PLAYS IT, EVERYBODY. And when I actually played, I was none too impressed. So bite me.

Posted by Alastor

Then try Guild Wars.

Or if you want to stick with the whole Korean GM thing, try SilkRoad.

Posted by ~vampire~

Or play MORE MAPLE STORY.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Shade: *** I hate World of Warcraft. That's all I hear about, "omg man wow is teh mad skillz an props yooooo."

EVERYBODY PLAYS IT, EVERYBODY. And when I actually played, I was none too impressed. So bite me.

WoW is completely unimpressive. Infact, when I actually first played it, I said I would not get it, due to the dull battle system. Then the day I bought my new computer (Friend was with me), my friend suggested I buy it. I did, and It just is very addictive. You can not like WoW, and I don't think anyone would care. Its just addicting, thats the only thing that makes it... Well, good. Im so suprised alot of people play WoW, due to the monthly fee's.

Posted by YourFavoriteJoel

I don't think it's possible. Mario kart DS has lag issues, with only four people playing. Imagine thousands?

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting YourFavoriteJoel: I don't think it's possible. Mario kart DS has lag issues, with only four people playing. Imagine thousands?

True, but look at Mario Kart DS graphics, compared to Maple Story... HUGE DIFFERENCE. Graphics can make a huge deal of lag...

hm....perhpas you're right. But, the title has no news of a US release.....that I can see.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting YourFavoriteJoel: hm....perhpas you're right. But, the title has no news of a US release.....that I can see.

Well, Im sure they will... Since the computer version is out here, they have no reason not to.

hope it comes soon. I'm a big fan of the game myself.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I don't think it's possible. Mario kart DS has lag issues, with only four people playing. Imagine thousands?

Chances are, if it is wifi enabled, it's going to be a lot like AC. Plus, MKDS was a first generation Wifi game, it's improved quite a bit since then. Just look at Metroid.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Vampiro: Chances are, if it is wifi enabled, it's going to be a lot like AC. Plus, MKDS was a first generation Wifi game, it's improved quite a bit since then. Just look at Metroid.

Suprisingly, I never thought of connection improvements. You'd think it'd be the first though, eh?

Posted by Steve Urkel

I can't wait for this game, it should be cool. I wonder if it will be as good as the pc version.

Posted by ~vampire~

Quoting NightmareBassX: True, but look at Mario Kart DS graphics, compared to Maple Story... HUGE DIFFERENCE. Graphics can make a huge deal of lag...

Indeed. But MS could still lag. Fortunatly on the internet, it saves automaticaly, if it does the same for the DS, it wont matter if I have to restart the game.

yeah, I'm pretty sure it saves like that. If it didn't cheating would be WAY too easy...

Posted by ~vampire~

What?

You said it saved aoutomatically. I said yeah it probably does on the DS too. If it didn't, you could cheat on the game too easily. Such as when you die, just turn the DS off and back on again, and you wouldn't lose anything.

Posted by protomanv4

Well i hope it does come out because it is takin me a heck-o-long time for me to down loward cuz my pc is slow but it meets the setting lol.

Posted by Colonel

I hate Maple Story. I'm going to buy it just to throw in the Garbage, because its trash material.