PS3 isn't the most expensive console in recent history...

Posted by Klarth

[url=http://curmudgeongamer.com/2006/05/history-of-console-prices-or-500-aint.html]Take a look at this.[/url]

The second one's a chart of console prices as they'd appear in 2006 dollars. The original PS was pretty extortionate for its day, but as for the NeoGeo... Christ.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Old news, nub. There was a thread where I even said the NeoGeo was more expensive.

But still, we aren't used to this **** now. Games were, like, eighty bucks a long time ago, but that's outrageous now. Just like $600 for a console is.

Posted by Klarth

I remember when N64 games were $30.

Good times. :(

I remember when they were seventy. Bad times.

Posted by Klarth

Not where I lived. You're just Canadian.

Maybe you just bought crappy games or something.

Posted by Klarth

Smash Bros was $30 new for me from Toys 'R Us. Eat me.

Posted by Speedfreak

Oh lookie, there's pretty much a direct correlation between how expensive a console is and how badly it sells.

Posted by Inferno

Yup, I thought the same exact thing. I'm surprised at where the Saturn fell in though, I had no idea it was a $400 dollar launch.

Quoted post: Oh lookie, there's pretty much a direct correlation between how expensive a console is and how badly it sells.

Jaguar, Dreamcast, Saturn and I guess you could even include in GC, since it's not doing so good.

Posted by Speedfreak

GC was still a successful system, with a lot of great selling games. Jaguar, Dreamcast, Saturn and 3DO weren't.

Quoted post: GC was still a successful system, with a lot of great selling games.

Yeah, it was somewhat of a success, but also somewhat of a failure. Didn't Nintendo even say that? I mean, pretty much everyone has given up on it.

Quoted post: Jaguar, Dreamcast, Saturn and 3DO weren't.

Bingo. And those weren't that expensive (400 bucks each?). Except for the 3DO... which is ****ing crazy expensive.

Posted by Speedfreak

Gamecube was a commercial failure, they didn't meet their 50 million install base target. However, it wasn't a financial failure, it made them several billion dollars.

Jaguar, Dreamcast, Saturn and 3DO were all financial failures.

Look at the absolute and relative charts, PS3 is still significantly more expensive than any console that owned the market, and even any console that took a significant chunk. PS3's price is in "niche console" territory.

Oh, I completely agree with you. But you can't say "expensives consoles equal complete failure" since cheaper consoles fail too.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Klarth: Not where I lived. You're just Canadian.

Not necessarily. I bought all my N64 games in the U.S. I remember getting Majora's Mask for $69.99 on release day, as well as the majority of my N64 games.

And I remember the Neo-Geo. I wanted it because it had the cool SNK fighters, like Art of Fighting, ready to play at home. My dad took one look at it though, and flew out of the mall in a hurry.

Posted by Random

Heh I remember when Mario RPG was like $60 when I purchased it for the SNES.

Posted by s0ul

You mean yesterday?

Posted by Moogs

Quoting Vampiro: Oh, I completely agree with you. But you can't say "expensives consoles equal complete failure" since cheaper consoles fail too.

Well, I highly doubt this will happen with the Wii since you are supposed to have more fun for less money and the Wiimote owns all.

Posted by Hero'sCrest

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]It's funny because Playstation 2 was as much as Xbox 360 core version was on release date.[/COLOR][/FONT]