Cheaper PS3 bundle REQUIRES wired controllers

Posted by Klarth

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060513133719562032§ionId=1006&releaseId=20060314132311609002

No wireless controllers for people who opt for the $499 deal.

Is it just me, or are Sony fucking themselves in the eye?

Posted by Speedfreak

What the hell are they DOING!?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

"In a spectacular gaffe, Sony has failed to communicate to key developers of PlayStation 3 games that the new PS3 pad will no longer include a vibrate function. In one case today, it was even left to GamesRadar to personally deliver the bad news."

Oooh, snap.

:rolleyes:

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Hahaha, holy ****. Not only can't you upgrade your memory, or get chrome lettering, but you're stuck with ****ty wired controllers? What the ****? I love how Harrison said there would be no difference between the two, except for HDMI. Now they're almost worlds apart.

Posted by Fate

...****.

Posted by TendoAddict

What a buch of dumb f ucks.

I knew they were theifs, but are they literally retarded? Is a company as big as sony that F'ing stupid? Are they trying to fail?

This shi!t used to be funny but now its down right sad.

Posted by Zeta

Man, now they've pretty much bazooka'd themselves in the foot. Sony is looking so very retarded right now. It's a shame blind Sony fanboys won't be able to realize this. I talked to this guy yesterday, and he said that Sony had the best conference, that the PS3 would blow the 360 and Wii out of the water, and that the PS3 is cheaper than it should be. ****ing idiot.

Quoted post: I talked to this guy yesterday, and he said that Sony had the best conference, that the PS3 would blow the 360 and Wii out of the water, and that the PS3 is cheaper than it should be. ****ing idiot.

If you think that's retarded, check out /v/ on 4chan. You're sure to get a laugh out of people's reasoning behind the purchase of a PS3.

Posted by Klarth

WELL, IT IS GOING TO HAVE GRAND THEFT AUTO 11 AND FINAL FANTASY XXVI-2, ISN'T IT?

Quoted post: WELL, IT IS GOING TO HAVE GRAND THEFT AUTO 11 AND FINAL FANTASY XXVI-2, ISN'T IT?

More like MGS4. Which is almost reason enough to buy it. But I'm hopinh Kojima will eventually think about porting it to the 360.

Posted by Klarth

Whatever happened to the Wii game he was going to announce, anyway?

Posted by Axis

If I remember correctly the MGS series will never go Multi-platform. Kojima said if he was going to make a game for the 360 or Wii than he would create new IP's for both.

Quoted post: If I remember correctly the MGS series will never go Multi-platform. Kojima said if he was going to make a game for the 360 or Wii than he would create new IP's for both.

MGS2:S and TS. Only MGS3 has been an exclusive. There's a pretty high chance, I think. But who knows.

Posted by Klarth

Original MGS had a PC release, too.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Klarth: http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060513133719562032§ionId=1006&releaseId=20060314132311609002

No wireless controllers for people who opt for the $499 deal.

Wow... no rumble in controllers, and now this? It just keeps getting better and better.

Posted by Axis

This just in: No 20 GB model will be offered in the UK.

Source: http://prev.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060513145916140006§ionId=1006&releaseId=20060314132311609002

Posted by Klarth

Something tells me not many of these things will be sold over here!

Posted by GameMiestro

Me thinks the article is fake, just look at the actual website:

[URL="http://www.us.playstation.com/E3/Systems/PS3"]http://www.us.playstation.com/E3/Systems/PS3[/URL]

Good websites never use their own articles as a source (gamesradar did), and it's obvious that Sony would never be that crazy.

EDIT: Don't listen to anything Gamesradar says. I have yet to see a site that does not say that there will be a 20 gb model in the UK... anti-Sony fanboys, perhaps?

Posted by Bebop

I very silly mistake.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

I wish Sony would hire me as their ideas man. One guy, and I could do better than their PR team.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Wings]I wish Sony would hire me as their ideas man. One guy, and I could do better than their PR team.

The article... is... fake...

I'm not talking about the article.

Posted by GameMiestro

Oh... well, in that case, your statement stands.

Lol.

Posted by Klarth

I've always trusted GR in the past.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Vampiro: MGS2:S and TS. Only MGS3 has been an exclusive. There's a pretty high chance, I think. But who knows.

Kojima's statement Axis pointed out was done after all the ports and remakes of the series for other systems were made. He doesn't like the idea of porting the series because the games weren't originally developed for those consoles, and the reason he keeps it at Sony is because of sentimental value. The MGS series got its big break along with Sony's PlayStation, so he feels they should remain together. I believe he's talked about it several times, including in a GI issue just a few months old. He also has a very good relationship with Japan's SCE, as evidenced by the dinner stories with the team, found in HIDEOBLOG. He wants to make all MG games for Sony systems while he creates new content for the 360 and Wii, and I bet he would love to make brand new titles if given the chance, and now that he has his own branch within Konami he can actually make that happen.

Posted by Klarth

I seem to remember a similar thing happening with Squaresoft. Unfortunately, despite Square getting a huge success across three Nintendo consoles, they ditched them in favour of Sony.

Looks like Kojima doesn't share the same opinions. I guess he's more of a sentimental person than the higher-ups in SE, and he'll likely cling to Sony for who knows how long.

I seem to remember him saying something about how he was really excited about developing Twin Snakes, as it gave a much better vision of MGS than the PlayStation original now that he could implement things like the control scheme from MGS2, for example.

Quoting Big Boss]
Good websites never use their own articles as a source (gamesradar did), and it's obvious that Sony would never be that crazy.

EDIT: Don't listen to anything Gamesradar says. I have yet to see a site that does not say that there will be a 20 gb model in the UK... anti-Sony fanboys, perhaps?

Well I don't know about the whole UK thing, but Klarth's first story is definately true.

Just check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3#Retail_configurations_and_pricing

Wow, cause Wikipedia is a valid source. :rolleyes:

Posted by Jon of iPwn

Wired controllers are NOT a big deal at all.. In fact never in my life have I used a wireless controller (well I used a wireless NES controller once...)

It's not a big deal..They make extension cords which work fine...On Xbox and PS2 I have like 10 foot extensions or whatever, and I have plenty of cord room so it doesn't bother me at all.

Posted by Klarth

Can you handle a lack of memory card slots, though?

Posted by Unite

Quoting Klarth: Can you handle a lack of memory card slots, though?

I can

Posted by Klarth

I don't give a flying shit about your opinion.

Posted by Jon of iPwn

Isn't that what the hard drive is for?? I never used my Xbox memory card much..... Only a few times, once when I had to get a new Xbox because it was crashing out...The problem is that the memory card couldn't hold a few of my saves, like KOTOR files were too big to be put on it :(

A reason I don't like Xbox as much is because I had to get THREE of them in THREE years.... well four if you count the very first one I got...On Christmas day my brand new Xbox was faulty...All cutscenes loaded choppy and load times everywhere else were horendusly slow.... We took it back the day after Christmas for another one that worked fine...Until it's DVD drive crapped out six months later....I had that problem two more times... My current one is slowly crapping out as well... And my last two supposedly had the GOOD DVD drives ....lol Way to go Microsoft... Their customer support sucks as well...I called it when the second one crapped out and they told me I'd have to PAY THEM to fix it and wait two to six weeks to get it back!! :(

The PS2 we had for the same time period still works fine.

Memory card slots for PS1 and PS2 games.

Posted by Jon of iPwn

Oh I see.... Well that's why we all have PSone's and twos right??

I assume they could always write a memory card emulation program and you could save to an emulated PS2 / 1 memory card on your hard drive...That shouldn't be hard at all.

Yes, and no. My point is that I can't use my current-gen saves on the new system, which blows hardcore. And I don't know about you, but I sell my previous systems just before the launch of the next-gen. :)

Posted by Jon of iPwn

I keep my systems...The only two I no longer have is my old NES (which broke), and my Dreamcast which I sold to get a DVD player years ago.... I don't miss either too much....

Sure you cant play your current saves, but see that's why you should keep your old systems...

Backwards compatibility is cool, but not necessary(sp)...I have no problem playing Final Fantasy VII on my PSone, but I just do it on the PS2 so I don't have to break out the old thinger from it's home :P

And some might argue new systems should aim ahead, and the past is the past. I'm sure the classics will be remade as well (-holds onto Final Fantasy VII remake dream- lol)

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Jon of iPwn: Oh I see.... Well that's why we all have PSone's and twos right??

I assume they could always write a memory card emulation program and you could save to an emulated PS2 / 1 memory card on your hard drive...That shouldn't be hard at all.

You'll be able to save old games, but you won't be able to load your saves from old cards. Also, you won't be able to play your saves on a friend's PS3 - No showing off custom characters etc.

Seriously, does it not strike you that Sony are ****ing losing their minds?

[quote](-holds onto Final Fantasy VII remake dream- lol)
I hate that game and I want it KILLED.

Posted by Jon of iPwn

Your mean...Final Fantasy VII is amazing as is Sony.

Well I never take games to friend's houses, I'm more of a solo gamer, and not much of a social dude anyway. So that's not a problem.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Jon of iPwn]
Your mean...Final Fantasy VII is amazing as is Sony.
...Yeah. Right.

:/

Posted by Unite

Quoting Klarth: You'll be able to save old games, but you won't be able to load your saves from old cards. Also, you won't be able to play your saves on a friend's PS3 - No showing off custom characters etc.

Seriously, does it not strike you that Sony are ****ing losing their minds?

I hate that game and I want it KILLED.

kids always needing to show off there characters lol

Posted by TendoAddict

[QUOTE=Jon of iPwn]Your mean...Final Fantasy VII is amazing as is Sony.

0_0

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Jon of iPwn: Your mean...Final Fantasy VII is amazing as is Sony.

Ha ha ha... that's not saying anything since Sony isn't amazing to begin with. AMIRITE?

Posted by Moogs

Wow, that's so stupid. Microsoft was smarter in this area clearly.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Protoman: Ha ha ha... that's not saying anything since Sony isn't amazing to begin with. AMIRITE?

He said "as is," not "as." But what matters is you tried.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17035

Quoted post: Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, Sony has dismissed rumours that the 20GB PS3 will not be compatible with wireless controllers, and that consumers will not have the option to upgrade the hard drive.

"Both queries to my knowledge are completely false," a spokesperson told GI.biz.

"Both configurations will support bluetooth PS3 controllers. The only non-upgradeable feature of the 20GB configuration will be the HDMI output."

This confirms comments made by Sony's Phil Harrison in a recent interview with GI.biz, where he stated: "You can upgrade to whatever size of drive you like. You can put in any drive that you like - it is a computer, after all."

The spokesperson went on to reveal that Sony plans to release a Wi-Fi adaptor for the 20GB PlayStation 3. Consumers will also have the option to purchase a separate adaptor that will allow the use of memory sticks, SD cards and compact flash cards with the machine.

However, there's still no word as to whether the 20GB PlayStation 3 will make it to the UK at all

Posted by s0ul

What the ****? The machine isn't on shelves yet, why not just put in memory card slots now? *** knows you've made worst decisions.

Posted by TendoAddict

^
Good find.
----------------

Upgradeable?

oh yeah how much will that cost....

I hope its low enough because if its $50 or higher its still neer pointless to get the $500 one.

And upgradeable? You know most people I know shiver when you talk about upgrade or anything technical. Most people perfer (from my exsperince) systems over computer's because systems are easyer to learn and use.

I dont know how many people are going to go for this even it the actual upgrade is easy.

Posted by s0ul

The 20 gig 360 harddrive is $100, there's no way anything lower than that will be in the $50 range.

Posted by maian

Even though it's fake, I'm still laughing at Sony. It's amazing how horribly bad a company can perform, when they were number one for a whole generation.

I was considering buying the PS3, but it's price has scared me off, and its lack of things that simply impress me.

Posted by Klarth

k, so, if you want to use the features of the higher-end model you'll wind up buying £150 worth of accessories and you STILL won't have what the more expensive model has.

What the ****.

Posted by Speedfreak

Know what's funny? Blu-Ray actually has lower capacity than HD-DVD right now, and probably will do for the next few years.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting maian: Even though it's fake, I'm still laughing at Sony. It's amazing how horribly bad a company can perform, when they were number one for a whole generation.

I was considering buying the PS3, but it's price has scared me off, and its lack of things that simply impress me.

It's not fake. Out of the box, the 20GB PS3 will not support wireless controllers, memory cards, or HD resolution. You will have to pay several hundred dollars for addons which do these jobs, and it still won't support HDTV resolution, which means that you might as well buy a PS2, because the graphics quality won't be much better.

Anyway, what sort of a fool thinks blu-ray is better because it has more storage? If you're watching a movie, HD-DVD is cheaper and does the same job, and if you're moving files, I'm not going to pay $200 for a rewritable Blu-ray disc, I'm going to buy a portable hard drive that you can write to any time, and for which you don't need a $1000 Blu-ray drive, only a USB port.

For now, games fit on a DVD easily, and it will be several years until they exceed the capacity of a HD-DVD disc, and then, the next generation of removable storage will be here.
HD-DVD>Blu-Ray, partly because I said so, and partly because it will be here sooner and cheaper.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=higbvuyb]HD-DVD>Blu-Ray, partly because I said so, and partly because it will be here sooner and cheaper.

And with higher capacity.

Posted by Klarth

I'm willing to put all my money on HD-DVD for the format of the future. Beta-Ray is out the window as far as I'm concerned.

If there's only one reason it will win, it's because it has DVD in the name.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting higbvuyb: Out of the box, the 20GB PS3 will not support wireless controllers...

Actually, it will. We have been over this. Regardless, Sony will fail. Especially with Blu-Ray, or "Beta-Ray" as Klarth has beautifuly parodied. VHS beat out Beta-Max, and frankly, I don't see how Blu-ray will beat out HD-DVD.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Protoman: Actually, it will. We have been over this. Regardless, Sony will fail. Especially with Blu-Ray, or "Beta-Ray" as Klarth has beautifuly parodied. VHS beat out Beta-Max, and frankly, I don't see how Blu-ray will beat out HD-DVD.

Sony plans to release a Wi-Fi adaptor for the 20GB PlayStation 3.
Which you will be required to use wireless controllers.

WiFi is different to Bluetooth, dude.

Posted by Colonel

Quoting Klarth:

yes, very much so

Apparently it doesn't matter how much Sony's products suck. They can gimp the PS3 all they want:

Quoting http://ps3.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3150935:
"We have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000 that the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even it didn't have games,"

... because we're still going to buy it no matter what.

What f[COLOR="White"]uck[/COLOR]ing [COLOR="White"]coc[/COLOR]ks.

Posted by Speedfreak

I've been saying it for ages, that company is completely anti-consumer.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I never expected a sony rep to actually state what I've been saying all along. Essentially he admitted that they could release an empty cardboard box with the ps3 logo on it, and 5 million of their fans would buy it without question. I really, really, really like the way this next generation is falling into place. sony is fast becoming a laughing stock in the industry, and of course the next step from laughing at them is just shaking our heads in pity.

Quoted post: and of course the next step from laughing at them is just shaking our heads in pity.

Too late. I've been doing that for a week now :(

Posted by TendoAddict

Ok they've gone to Idiots to A-holes.

Can some one just shoot them in the head to make it go faster?

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Someone can. Unfortunately, it would require a sizeable payoff that I cannot at present afford.

Posted by Fate

I like business. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there. We're talking about the system at all because it is a gaming system.

Yeah, it's fun until you realise "oh wait, I have to buy this **** lol".