E3 In Review

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

So, E3 2006 has come and gone. There were some great moments about it... and some pretty poor moments. We all saw some new games that were simply amazing, and those that just didn't deliver as we may have hoped. But over all, it was a pretty good show. The coverage this year was much better than past years, with GameSpot really doing some cool stuff for fans. Xbox Live even provided some neat features, like free demos and trailers. So it should be interesting to see how that develops come next year, if it even has to.

But anyways, just simply sum up what you thought was great, what you thought was horrible, and what your overall impressions of the show were.

For me, I thought Nintendo and MS really pulled it off. I'd almost give the slight nudge to MS this year, but I won't, because they came in ONLY having games. They've all ready been out for awhile and didn't have anything else to really fall back on. And amazingly, they held their own. They showed many great games, held a really good conference, and mainly showed that, though the games might have gotten off to a rough start, they're now going full-out.

Nintendo, like I said, also did a great job, probably the best. The controller looks really fun, and though I've harped on it for the graphics looking pretty terrible, I can't, and don't want to, deny that they showed us all they know what they're doing. The atmosphere looked really relaxed, with the higher-ups not seeming to give a **** about their competition. Not to mention fun, with Miyamoto and Iwata having a blast during the conference. And though there was a lack of SSB at the beginning they came out with a great trailer with many great new characters. LoZ looked good, though I'm not convinced I'd want to give up the classic controls, and Mario Galaxies looked absolutely amazing. But, Red Steel was a disappointment. Not only did it not come anywhere close to the target renders, but the controls seemed sloppy. However, Metriod seemed to fill the FPS gap. But even then, they really need to fix the ridicule, rather than having the played drag the screen everywhere. It just looked like a pain in the ***. BUT, it was pretty, Ridley boss battle was neat, and it seems like Noxus is in it.

However, it wasn't all good obviously. Sony's not looking to bright, what with a 600 dollar console, not many interesting looking games, and tons of features I don't give a **** about. The conference was lame, the "zomg innovation" was laughable, and the whole thing just really fell apart. Really, Sony's only saving grace is games like MGS4 (which, well, it's MGS), Heavenly Sword (looks like *** of War, but still really neat), and Assassin's Creed (which may not even be running on a PS3).

Also, another disappointment was Too Human. I don't know... maybe the hype was just too huge, but what I saw didn't seem to great. The camera looked like ****, the combat didn't seem to fluid, and the graphics were... meh. Maybe that will change, maybe not. But seeing as how it's a trilogy, they better start working on it some more.

But in the end, Nintendo and MS made up for Sony's faults. Games like Gears of War still manages to blow me away; the Wii actually works, the converge was done amazingly well, and it seems like 2006-2007 will be a pretty great year for video games.

Posted by TendoAddict

^Thats exactly how I feel.

I want to tip my hat to MS for not rolling over and dying. Quite opposite, they showed some great games that Ill look into in the futur. Their ability to put up a good fight impresses me. If sony was in there position they would of done nothing.

Nintendo was great. Most of there new games were great and the BackWards Compatability has over 400 games now, so its hard to even think of Wii failure. On the topic of graphics, I think what Nintendo showed was ok. Sure compared to the 360 and ps3 it was weak but when you see mario flying through space it took my breath away. Remember a lot of what they showed were un-textured hardware demos.

And the PS3. Sony Sont Sony, what will we do with you. The Tilt was a weak jab and it doesnt look fluid at all (see sig). At your online seems oddly familiar. MGS looked sweat but that was ovious, and kinda ironic when nintendo stole some Sonys MGS thunder showed snake in SSBB. Plus that one card game looked nice, but I really dont think sony was banking on that game.

in other news.

I was impressed with hiw well Nintendo did with the DS. They showed a lot of good and upcomming games and did not focus soley on the Wii.

Thats not quite the same with sony for they hardly even talked about the psp. That tells me that there just trying to let it die. I wanted some new information but I got nearly nothing.

All in all this may of been the best E3 ive seen in a long time if ever. Nintendo is fighting back for supremacy, 360 is still going hard, Saw alot of great games on multiple platforms. While PS3 was weak it still gave me a few laughs.

Hopefuly this E3 will set an example for later E3's.

Quoted post: The Tilt was a weak jab and it doesnt look fluid at all (see sig).

The guy was being overdramatic. Watch some videos of other people playing it. It looks much more natural, and the responsiveness seems to pretty decent. The on-stage demo was just really badly done.

Posted by maian

Well, I'm glad Nintendo did a good job. Well, a great job. An amazing job. Not only did this "remote" completely succeed, they showed plenty of awesome games I'll be wanting to pick up immediately. With Mario, Metroid, Smash, and Zelda coming out, I don't know I won't buy it. For once in a while, Nintendo's innovation has brung it to the top. If the console war goes like this, I'll be a happy man.

While I expected XB360 to do horribly, they actually performed pretty well. I didn't read mush on what they had, but from what I did read, I liked. They have some great games coming out, and not too expensive with good online play. Thumbs up.

Sony. I literally laughed at Sony. They are screwing up. First and foremost is simply just having a $600 console. That's ridiculous. The games they showed were so-so, even though they did have some that stood out. The controller is nothing new, save for the tilting, and they just overall failed to impress. They're also giving off the impression of trying too hard with the PS3, and not giving any attention to the PSP. It got little to no showtime, and is just kind of sitting there.

This will make out for a very interesting console war if Nintendo pulls on top and Sony fails.

Posted by Unite

Well i was impressed by what all 3 companies have to offer.

as for 600 price tag didn't really change anything , i mean i have 8k tv.

thou i'm little worried where new n1 games will go in future.

few of the trailers i saw on youtube
Metal Gear solid 4
Final Fantasy 13
mario galaxy

Impressed by what Sony had to offer? lol

Posted by Klarth

Hey, Vampiro, you're a fanboy because you're incapable of making the judgment that Nintendo are a terrible company and that Sony will never fail, because a £500 console is perfectly acceptable as long as you have a ludicrously expensive TV. I can't believe you.

Microsoft's conference was entertaining (in a good way!). The games shown were plenty impressive, and it was interesting to hear about all the plans for Live.

Nintendo's conference was ****ing incredible. I don't feel a need to explain myself.

Sony? Pshaw. PS3s crashed all over the centre, Gran Turismo "footage" being rendered from a PC, a halfassed prod at Wii's motion sensitivity (and then a "we've been thinking about this for a decade" speech)... Only good things Sony had to offer were the PS1 emulator for PSP, and Gangs of London for the aforementioned handheld.

It was very interesting looking at all the PC stuff, too. That UT2007 footage still gets me every time.

Quoted post: It was very interesting looking at all the PC stuff, too. That UT2007 footage still gets me every time.

oh shi- PC. I forgot about that. I'd have to say that the PC had one of the stronger showings with a lot of great, great games. Who ever says PC gaming is dead is dead wrong.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Vampiro: Impressed by what Sony had to offer? lol

It's all about different opinions, i'm not really excited about montion sentive controllers like you are. Mario galaxy dose look nice and i would like to try it out some time.

Posted by brownoystercult

Honestly, for the current gen I favored the PS2. I was definitely looking forward to the PS3, thinking it would be the best console. Honestly, nothing on the platform looks promising. Now, I want a 360 and Nintendo Wii more than ever. You lost a customer Sony.

AND HOPEFULLY Guitar Hero III will be on the 360 along with the PS3. If it DOES show up as a PS3 exclusive I will however have to get a PS3 just for that game.

Posted by Axis

At the end of day of the press conferences, I would say that Microsoft was winning the show. After E3? Well I gotta give it to Nintendo.

Nintendo: Pretty much blew me away, I was pretty skeptical about it coming into E3 because I was worried how reactions would be on the controller. Now that it's over, I'm definitely pre-ordering one as soon as I can. It looks like it's going to have one the best launchs in video game console history. The games that I got really excited about were Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy, SSBB, and many more. 27 launch titles? ****, that's a freaking lot. It's a good thing that Wii games are going to be cheaper than 360, because I have a feeling on launch day I'll be walking out of the store with 5 games or more. Overall, I tip my hat off to Nintendo, because I'm excited as hell for Fall '06 to get here.

Microsoft: The one I had my eye on the closest coming into the show. I would say even though they screwed up big time last year, they seemed to have learned from it and this year they came out and delivered big time. Gears of War looks like the best looking game to date (sorry Crisis), Halo 3 looks very nice, games like Fable 2, Forza Motorsport 2 and many make me glad that I have a 360 at the moment. Microsoft came out and they gave their owners a very good feeling of owning an Xbox or 360.

Sony: WOW. I thought that they were going to win E3 this year. Boy was I wrong. Sure they had some neat features...er wait, no they didn't. They basically had Xbox Live silver and a response hack-off of the Wii-mote. I don't like how they're forcing the industry to move to Blu-ray and 1080p tv's. Am I excited about Blu-Ray disc format? No. Is any other consumer out there excited about Blu-Ray disc format? No. Nobody wants these formats, you can go around today and ask people if they know what Blu-Ray is and chances are they won't. Anyways their conference was absolutely poor and none of their games appeal to me at all. I was looking forward to Motorstorm and Resistance...and I was let-down big time by both. So yeah, you can say that it has great games and features and whatnot, but at the end of the day 600 bucks for a console is 600 bucks.

Roinkz: There was an e-mail to the people who made Guitar Hero and the question was if it would be coming to 360. Their response was that it would be coming. However, take it with a grain of salt for right now.

Thank ***. HOPEFULLY, I can save my 600 dollars.

Posted by Drewboy64

Noxus looked like he was in MP3??
And that ridley battle was my idea :p Because you are in freefall, and it is super badass.

yeah, I loved all the Wii games demonstrated and such.

Posted by Random

I personally thought Microsoft and Nintendo both did a great job. Nintendo i'd say a little more so but then again they were showing details on a new product and games to be released for it. As for Microsoft last year at E3 we learned a lot about games for the 360 and this year they had some amazing trailers.

I am 110% Certain that I plan on having both a Wii and X360. I'm already half way there.

Sony on the otherhand is probably run by a bunch of morons in which I could make better financial decisions. They want to sell a $900 machine for $600. At that rate wouldn't their games have to be $69.99 each? Which is rediculous. Who in the hell would pay that much for a game? The PS2 was a decent seller because not only had it been out for sometime but it also wasn't much more expensive than the Gamecube and it was around the price range of the Xbox. But now having a machine thats a couple hundred dollars more seems silly. Parents aren't going to go out and buy their kids an expensive piece of equipment. I'd hate to be the person who buys one without a warranty... O_o

All in all I was pretty satisfied with E3. Saw Halo 3 and Fable 2 trailers and learned more info and more games that'll be released on Wii.

Quoted post: Noxus looked like he was in MP3??

Yeah, it looks like Samus starts having a bit of trouble, and all of a sudden one of the ships freeze and crash into the other. Then you see a Noxus like enemy sliding forward on a frozen path he creates while taking out some other stuff. He then lands, talks to you, telling you he'll take care of some generators while you go ahead, and skates off.

So, he's a friend it seems. And though he doesn't look exactly like Noxus, it's really close.

Quoted post: AND HOPEFULLY Guitar Hero III will be on the 360 along with the PS3. If it DOES show up as a PS3 exclusive I will however have to get a PS3 just for that game.

I can't see it being an exclusive. Maybe for a few months, but not forever

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Parents aren't going to go out and buy their kids an expensive piece of equipment.

EXACTLY. There's no way my parents are spending $600+ for a console. Even IF, I wouldn't want one cause there are no games that warrant the purchase of the console in my opinion ('cept Guitar Hero).

Quoted post: EXACTLY. There's no way my parents are spending $600+ for a console. Even IF, I wouldn't want one cause there are no games that warrant the purchase of the console in my opinion ('cept Guitar Hero).

Parents will spend whatever it takes to buy their kids the newest, hottest item. Both the PS2 and 360 confirmed that.

They'll do that when they have snobby kids that don't know what they're buying. They also wouldn't take care of it.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Roinkz]
They'll do that when they have snobby kids that don't know what they're buying. They also wouldn't take care of it.
I know plenty of richkids who won't know how much the PS3 actually costs until two months after their terrible parents buy them. Also, they'll doubtless phone the high-rate tech support line and complain about their broken non-vibrating controllers.

Quoting Unite: It's all about different opinions, i'm not really excited about montion sentive controllers like you are. Mario galaxy dose look nice and i would like to try it out some time.

So, uh. What does Sony have to offer again? Let's think this over:

Wired controllers?

A broken HDMI-related promise?

No force feedback?

The largest games console to date?

No memory card slot?

I thought so.

Quoted post: The largest games console to date?

I still can't believe it's bigger than the original Xbox... and by quite a bit.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Vampiro: Yeah, it looks like Samus starts having a bit of trouble, and all of a sudden one of the ships freeze and crash into the other. Then you see a Noxus like enemy sliding forward on a frozen path he creates while taking out some other stuff. He then lands, talks to you, telling you he'll take care of some generators while you go ahead, and skates off.

So, he's a friend it seems. And though he doesn't look exactly like Noxus, it's really close.

So one of the planets in Corruption might be Vho?

Quoted post: So one of the planets in Corruption might be Vho?

It's not Noxus. It's some character named Rundus. Who knows whether they're connected though.

Posted by Zeta

So Vho could be in the game, as that's the most likely place to see another one of the Vhozon.

Assuming that's what Rundus is... though it's likely. What with a similar design and the use of an ice weapon.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Vampiro: I still can't believe it's bigger than the original Xbox... and by quite a bit.

It needs all that space, for, uh, more space to render better graphics than real life!

Oh, and last year they said it'd support seven simultaneous controllers. Whatever happened to that?

Posted by Random

Quoting Vampiro: Parents will spend whatever it takes to buy their kids the newest, hottest item. Both the PS2 and 360 confirmed that.

Though there are spoiled kids who will get PS3's I can tell you now when it's Christmas time and the kids say I want a gaming console, I garuntee it'll be a Wii or 360 over a PS3 3 out of 4 times. Probably even kids who say "I want a PS3" will end up with a console with less of a price tag. Especially if the kids mention games that are on multi consoles.

Gamecube didn't really have too much to offer over last christmas and it still sold very well because it was cheaper and more affordable. There were some who downright wanted it but we had parents who wanted a PS2/XBox who bought Gamecubes because they could afford to get their kid a game with it.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Klarth: I know plenty of richkids who won't know how much the PS3 actually costs until two months after their terrible parents buy them. Also, they'll doubtless phone the high-rate tech support line and complain about their broken non-vibrating controllers.

So, uh. What does Sony have to offer again? Let's think this over:

Wired controllers?

A broken HDMI-related promise?

No force feedback?

The largest games console to date?

No memory card slot?

I thought so.

klarth onece again attacking my positon on what i thought of sony e3 showing. Don't worry i will be buying a ps3 and wii, but i not concerned about the prices like u are. Will you be buying a ps3 just for show like u do with ur psp?

Playstation is hueg