Sony Denies Copying Wii's Remote

Posted by Alastor

[Quote]Eurogamer: The controller. You showed off the boomerang, then said it was a prototype, and now you've come back and done the Dual Shock but with a twist - no pun intended. How long have you known that this was the plan?

Phil Harrison: [The motion sensing controller] has been thought about since about 1994, but in reality, you can't make some of the ideas that we have because the technology is not available in sufficient quantity or at a low enough price, and you kind of have to wait for certain things to converge. We had the concept of PlayStation Portable for many years before we could actually deliver it at a price and at a standard that was acceptable.

The controller is obviously a surprise to the industry. We've been thinking about it for a while, but it's a relatively recent addition to the format. We didn't show it last year, because we weren't ready to. The boomerang, as you call it, was very clearly designed as a design concept, and was never intended to be the final controller, despite what everybody said about it.

I think we certainly saw the strength of feeling that existed about the boomerang - even though nobody in the world ever held it in their hand. I thought that was very interesting, that people were criticising it for what it looked like, not how it felt.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=64667

Personally, I think that if they had this idea as far back as '94, they would've tried to use it a little sooner. I mean, sure, there would be technology limitations, but they could've done it sooner than now, I'd think.

Truth or cover-up? Discuss.

Posted by Drewboy64

it's extremely hard to believe the person who said PSP was outselling DS.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

On a similar note, did you know that I wrote The Matrix in 1989, but just didn't get around to getting it copyrighted? Yeah, a couple of thugs mugged me a couple of years before the movie came out when I was carrying it around and stole the only copy I had.

Posted by Zeta

Sony really needs to stop talking sht.

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Prince Shondronai: On a similar note, did you know that I wrote The Matrix in 1989, but just didn't get around to getting it copyrighted? Yeah, a couple of thugs mugged me a couple of years before the movie came out when I was carrying it around and stole the only copy I had.

Haha, didn't the person who sued them for that win the case?

Posted by TendoAddict

Oh please, this is a crock of BullSh!t.

If they had the idea since 1994 why didnt they patented it like Nintendo did awail ago? Seems like a pritty big idea , might want to save it so others dont steal it right? Trust me, if sony had this idea we would of saw it comming.

On the other hand we could tell Nintendo was thinking about Tilt sensors a LONG ways back.

Like when Kirby Tilt N' Tuble came out? Or when Wario Ware Twisted debuted? Or when we found the fricken pantent for idea idea under nintendos name?

Yeah I repeat myself, this is a crock of BullSh!t.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I think we all knew that Sony, at the very least, tried to piggy back off of Nintendo's press coverage, and at worst just outright pirated it.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Eh, whether they had it a long time ago or not, I doubt they would have brought it up so recently if it weren't for Nintendo's apparent success.

heck, it probably won't be used much. But, they are thinking about the future, and it is a smart move. If they ever want to expand on the idea they have the ability. They don't need to divide the market since it's all out-of-the-box. Same with the HDD. They've given their consumers an equal ground while MS has split it two ways, and further if they ever want to introduce a tilt controller.

Posted by TendoAddict

[quote] If they ever want to expand on the idea they have the ability

But you see thats the thing. Nintendo's already ahead of them but A LOT. If they decide to exspand on it now they'll only be behind nintendo unless Sony some how gets good at innovation (LOL). How can they get serious if Nintendo already got Serious?

... what? Sony can do whatever they want at this point. They lead the market. If they want to start using their tilt controller two years down the road, so be it. It's not like once Nintendo is "serious" Sony's screwed.

Posted by ExoXile

Thing's who doesn't get researched from scratch, and in a hurry are destined to fail.

Posted by GameMiestro

I don't think he ever said he denied copying Wii's remote...

Quoted post: Thing's who doesn't get researched from scratch, and in a hurry are destined to fail.

The technology has been around long enough, so there's really no need to thoroughly research it like Nintendo did with the Wiimote.

Posted by ExoXile

Thing's who doesn't, mostly fail, tho.

It's a fairly balanced equation on the base level though, ExoXile. A finely-tuned, very smooth piece of technology from a moderately popular company vs. a rushed, simplistic model from an insanely popular company. The fun one has lower graphical ability, while the useless one boasts of the most graphical power of the next generation.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Vampiro: Eh, whether they had it a long time ago or not, I doubt they would have brought it up so recently if it weren't for Nintendo's apparent success.

Lol, that's what I thought. I had this mental image of two guys who'd been in some dark, forgotten office for years working on motion sensors for Sony... then the Wii Remote came out and Sony was like "oh @#$%, someone call those guys."

I don't really care about pointing fingers anymore. Nintendo has it, Sony has it, and it's up to them to deliver. The Wii's looking pretty awesome right now, so Sony'd better step up.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro: ... what? Sony can do whatever they want at this point. They lead the market. If they want to start using their tilt controller two years down the road, so be it. It's not like once Nintendo is "serious" Sony's screwed.

I know what you mean.

Im just saying from Sony's Innovation track reacord (Aka stealing things) is weak. If they ever did decide to use tilt seriously that it would most likely just fallowing the technology Nintendo had a few years back.

Unless they can make a major jump from Sony quality Tilt to Nintendo quality Tilt Sony will just be tredding on grouds nintendo has already been on.

Son'y been doing that for years, and guess what, they've sold about 100 million PS2s... while nintendo sold, what, 15 million GameCubes?

Posted by Fate

Someone had to capitalize on Nintii's technology sometime. Personally, I didn't expect it to be in the same generation! That's the really funny thing.

Also, unlike the Nintii, motion sensors are not mandatory with the PS3. If anything, it's secondary. Nintii specializes in it, so we know who will be the best in that regard. However the Nintii goes doesn't bother me-- it's about the games in the end. Nintendo doesn't have consistency and this really bothers me.

Like Linko said, it's up to the companies to deliver now that the deed is done.

Posted by Speedfreak

Ugh, Phil Harrison is a slimy, deceitful peice of work. I simply cannot stand the way he blatently lies through his teeth, it's disgusting.

Look at his picture:

[IMG]http://www.eurogamer.net/assets/articles/a62158/a_med_phil.jpg[/IMG]

Doesn't it just scream "Hi! I'm a c[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]nt!"?

I mean, at least Ken Kuturagi is an obvious nutcase that everyone can laugh at. Two more masterpeices from the man himself: "PS3 is too cheap" and "THE DUAL SHOCK 3 CAME FROM MY MIND".

This guy, though, you want to punch him in the face as soon as he opens his mouth!

Quoted post: Nintendo doesn't have consistency and this really bothers me.

it's pretty hard to be consistent when what you think is right turns out to be the worst move possible. ie sticking with carts and making a console shaped like a cube.

Posted by Speedfreak

Worst move possible? Try make a console and service so expensive you lose 4 billion dollars.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro: Son'y been doing that for years, and guess what, they've sold about 100 million PS2s... while nintendo sold, what, 15 million GameCubes?

Well considering they were out longer I would think that they sold more, plus compared to the Wii the cube is a weak excuss for a system.

Plus if you look at price and the E3 interest its no contest the people are clammoring over the Wii and not the PS3. What once was for sony might not be there tommarow.

Quoted post: Worst move possible? Try make a console and service so expensive you lose 4 billion dollars.

And then pricing it out of reach for the majority of the consumers.

Quoted post:
Well considering they were out longer I would think that they sold more, plus compared to the Wii the cube is a weak excuss for a system.

They were out for about a year longer than the GC and Xbox. So that has really nothing to do with it. Maybe it if it was 80 million to 100 million. But it's 15 to 100.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]And then pricing it out of reach for the majority of the consumers.

I was actually talking about Xbox 1, but I guess that also works.

[quote=Vampiro]They were out for about a year longer than the GC and Xbox. So that has really nothing to do with it. Maybe it if it was 80 million to 100 million. But it's 15 to 100.

Actually you're quite wrong there. an 18 month head start can mean all the difference. By the time GC and Xbox came out PS2 already had 10 million or so PS2s sold, it had the sales momentum and most of the dev support. The dev support meant more games which translates into more sales.

It's kind of like rolling a snowball down a hill and then trying to roll another snowball in the exact same path. The first snowball as picked up most of the snow and has the most momentum, leaving little left for the others.

That's not such a big deal for Nintendo this time round, because they have their very own path with no threat of invasion from PS3 or Xbox 360 (the non-gamer path), so it's really like launching in their own market.

Here's a quote from Peter Moore of Microsoft:

[quote]"Tell me why you would buy a $600 PS3?" Peter Moore, a Microsoft vice president, said in an interview. "People are going to buy two (machines.) They're going to buy an Xbox and they're going to buy a Wii ... for the price of one PS3."

"People will always gravitate toward a competitively priced product -- like what I believe Wii will be -- with innovative new designs and great intellectual property like Mario, Zelda and Metroid," Moore told Reuters.

And Sony's response:

[quote]
"I think Peter Moore is exactly right. I think Nintendo will be the second system consumers purchase after PlayStation 3."
"I haven't had a chance to check out the Wii myself, but Nintendo has a great history of innovation and has always done great things for gaming and long may they do so. But as it relates to our strategy they are very much in a different market."

Now this is interesting, not only has Nintendo aimed at a new consumer source that both their competitors are leaving well alone, but both Sony and Microsoft also think that their very own customers will buy a Wii aswell anyway because of it's price and innovation.

Looks like Nintendo coming out on top once again is entirely likely, they're in an even nicer position than they are with DS.

Posted by TendoAddict

Very good post speedy, interesting quotes.

Their quite friendly to the wii, probably because its treads on grounds they cant touch. Its odd because in persective this is like the Ps2 and X-box saying there buyers will buy a gamecube publicly.

Why are they so nice?

I think its because the Wiis ability to attract non-gamers into the Video Game Market. That ability might cause the spread of new customers to both MS and Sony.

But its deffiently odd.

Quoted post: I was actually talking about Xbox 1, but I guess that also works.

Eh, I thought the Sony lost about the same with the PS3. Or did they lose more during production?

Quoted post: Actually you're quite wrong there. an 18 month head start can mean all the difference. By the time GC and Xbox came out PS2 already had 10 million or so PS2s sold, it had the sales momentum and most of the dev support. The dev support meant more games which translates into more sales.

It's kind of like rolling a snowball down a hill and then trying to roll another snowball in the exact same path. The first snowball as picked up most of the snow and has the most momentum, leaving little left for the others.

That's not such a big deal for Nintendo this time round, because they have their very own path with no threat of invasion from PS3 or Xbox 360 (the non-gamer path), so it's really like launching in their own market.

Ah, good points, indeed. But still, that's a HUGE lead. More so than simply snowballing sales. Brand power and loyalty had to have played a large part. I mean, 100 million when compared to only 15? I don't know. There's many more factors at play.

Quoted post:
Why are they so nice?

I think its because the Wiis ability to attract non-gamers into the Video Game Market. That ability might cause the spread of new customers to both MS and Sony.

Sounds like they're just using Nintendo as a way to get under their competitors skin. Since Nintendo's fine with doing their own thing, Sony and MS are free to use Nintendo as a way to put down or completley dismess the other.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]Ah, good points, indeed. But still, that's a HUGE lead. More so than simply snowballing sales. Brand power and loyalty had to have played a large part. I mean, 100 million when compared to only 15? I don't know. There's many more factors at play.

There are more factors, but I'd like to clear up the installed bases. GC is at 19 million and Xbox is at 22ish million. Sony has shipped 100 million PS2s, and by shipped they don't mean shipped to retailers like Nintendo and Microsoft do, which is a far more accurate measurement of sales. Also, we all know how reliable PS2s are, I know people that are on their 3rd PS2, and every single durability test all 3 consoles have gone through always put PS2 in dead last. It's also the only console that's had a slimmer version, which a lot of people replaced their old PS2s with. Take all that into account and I think you could quite reasonably put installed base at 70 million, 80 at most. That's double GC and Xbox combined.

The main reason for it's lead is it's developer support. People think PS2 has the most games, which it does, and so they buy a PS2. Developers look at the 3 systems and more often than not pick the one with the biggest install base, which is PS2. The main reason for developer support is it having the largest install base when all 3 systems were out, though there are plenty of other reasons.

Quoted post: Sony has shipped 100 million PS2s, and by shipped they don't mean shipped to retailers like Nintendo and Microsoft do, which is a far more accurate measurement of sales.

That I knew, but completely forgot... touché.

Posted by TendoAddict

[quote]Sounds like they're just using Nintendo as a way to get under their competitors skin. Since Nintendo's fine with doing their own thing, Sony and MS are free to use Nintendo as a way to put down or completley dismess the other.

Still its odd and kinda low. To use the competion you cant touch to lower the a thrid party down. Its Ovious that the Wii's affect in the market is already apperent.

Posted by Moogs

I am still getting a Wii instead of a PS3.

Quoted post: Still its odd and kinda low. To use the competion you cant touch to lower the a thrid party down. Its Ovious that the Wii's affect in the market is already apperent.

Low? We're talking about one company that has no problem ripping off everyone else, and another that just wants to build an empire on the competitors' remains. I highly doubt either of them care about throwing a few shots below the belt if it helps them in the future.

Posted by Zeta

Posted by TendoAddict

An interesting pic I found.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/TendoAddict/gOODTIMES.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Bebop

I want to know why Sony wasnt ready to showcase the tilting technology earler. I really want to learn the valid reason why showcasing technology found in GBA cartriges like Wario Ware: Tilted was not a good idea at the time even before the Revoltuion's controller had yet to be unveiled.

Why? What was the risk in reveling the PS3's tilting capabilites? Was Nintendo going to steal it or something? And why show the boomerang, claiming its the new controller only to later state that it was never intended to be the controller in the first place. And if that were true why use it at all if it's so different to the actual design.

And honestly, why state "Change is good" when their idea of change is the same console name, same controller design, same basic input and even simialr console look.

Quoting Vampiro: Ah, good points, indeed. But still, that's a HUGE lead. More so than simply snowballing sales. Brand power and loyalty had to have played a large part. I mean, 100 million when compared to only 15? I don't know. There's many more factors at play.

Also consider it's teh sequel to a popular, heavily amrketted games system that would be the first next gen console of it's time. 18 months as the only next gen console with a Christmas (or 2) is bound to raise sales. If 360 were left alone for 18 months and entered antoehr Christmas it would have signifnec incrase in sales, which would result in more games, more interst and more demand.

18 months head start isnt the only reason PS2 was the most successful in terms of sales but it's certainly a signifnce element. Imagine if GC, Ps2 and Xbox had all released at the same time. At the time Ps2 was riding on graphical power to promote itself. Next to GC and Xbox it pales in significence.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro: Ah, good points, indeed. But still, that's a HUGE lead. More so than simply snowballing sales. Brand power and loyalty had to have played a large part. I mean, 100 million when compared to only 15? I don't know. There's many more factors at play.

Also consider it's teh sequel to a popular, heavily amrketted games system that would be the first next gen console of it's time. 18 months as the only next gen console with a Christmas (or 2) is bound to raise sales. If 360 were left alone for 18 months and entered antoehr Christmas it would have signifnec incrase in sales, which would result in more games, more interst and more demand.

18 months head start isnt the only reason PS2 was the most successful in terms of sales but it's certainly a signifnce element. Imagine if GC, Ps2 and Xbox had all released at the same time. At the time Ps2 was riding on graphical power to promote itself. Next to GC and Xbox it pales in significence.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Vampiro: It's not like once Nintendo is "serious" Sony's screwed.

Actually, in this case, I think you are wrong. Both PS3 and Wii are coming out at relatively the same time. Plus with all the stuff Sony is pulling, I think Wii has a very good chance to pull ahead. IMO when Nintendo is "serious" everyone is screwed (except the consumers).

Posted by Colonel

Sony should rot for stealing Nintendo's idea.

Quoted post: And why show the boomerang, claiming its the new controller only to later state that it was never intended to be the controller in the first place.

It was always a prototype.

Quoted post: Actually, in this case, I think you are wrong. Both PS3 and Wii are coming out at relatively the same time. Plus with all the stuff Sony is pulling, I think Wii has a very good chance to pull ahead. IMO when Nintendo is "serious" everyone is screwed (except the consumers).

You're also an idiot. It would have to take a major **** up by Sony for them to be truly screwed. And lo and behold, they've screwed up.

Posted by ExoXile

Sony's rotten.
That's why they're unable to rot. :(

Posted by Klarth

Posted by Hyper

http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=EPODOC&IDX=JP11099284&F=0&QPN=JP11099284

So they didn't COMPLETELY lie.

Posted by Bebop

[QUOTE=Vampiro]It was always a prototype.

"was very clearly designed as a design concept, and was never intended to be the final controller"

They alreayd knew their 'new' dual shock would be the final. I mean come one we all knew they would go for a dual shock design. My point is that, even though the coomerang was a possible prototype, they alreayd knew before hand it was going to be the dual shock so why even show the boomerang in the first place? We were supposed to be suprised at the unveiling of the new/old dual shock?

Exactly Bebop. sony fans were supposed to be angry about the new controller design, and then relieved and excited that sony "listened" to their pleas.

Quoted post: My point is that, even though the coomerang was a possible prototype, they alreayd knew before hand it was going to be the dual shock so why even show the boomerang in the first place?

Who the hell knows what they're thinking this generation. They probably just figured it would generate a lot of publicity, which it did.

Posted by buddha

This isnt the first time sony has copied a nintendo idea and it wont be the last. Nintendo were spot on when they refused to reveal their controller last year in fear of competitors stealing their idea but unfortunately for nintendo there really is no limit to how low sony will go and despite all nintendos efforts it didnt take sony long to implement yet another nintendo idea into a sony product. In the end sony(like all companies) just want to make money and if it means being complete as*holes that leach onto other companies backs to suck up any unique inventions to use for their own benefits then sony will do it. I love videogames and will end up buying all next gen consoles but if i had to wish a loser it would at this point be sony. I hope nintendo succeed an reaching a mass market with THEIR VERY OWN UNIQUE AND INNOVATIVE nintendo wii.

Posted by PWND_U_IN_MK

They did not copy the revmote.

They have a very small ranged tilt sensor, not full 3D manipulation and movement.

Posted by Steve Urkel

Why can't we just all be friends? Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are all equaly cool. I bet that Nintendo and Sony people got together because they love each other and want to help each other out. That is why Sony has motion sensor.

Posted by Moogs

Well, you sounded intelligent at the beginning, Steve, but then you said they get together. Right, you believe that Mr. Urkel.

Also it's the WIIMOTE now, not the Revmote.

Quoted post: They did not copy the revmote.

They have a very small ranged tilt sensor, not full 3D manipulation and movement.

Yeah, obviously. But that's not the question. It's: Did they have the idea from the get-go, or did they decide to implement it at the last second to combat the Wii's remote idea?

Posted by Steve Urkel

Quoting Vampiro: Yeah, obviously. But that's not the question. It's: Did they have the idea from the get-go, or did they decide to implement it at the last second to combat the Wii's remote idea?

I think they had it from the get go because someone at nintendo gave it to sony.

Posted by Klarth

Exclusive interview with Phil Harrison in the new issue of Edge...

What about the motion-sensing issue?
"I've never, in my life, ever been disparaging about that, because I've always thought it was a great innovation. I mean, not that I'm responsible..."

What do you think about Nintendo's approach?
It's not really a dramatic innovation or movement forward.

Posted by Hyper

What a dick.

Quoting Klarth: Exclusive interview with Phil Harrison in the new issue of Edge...

"I've never, in my life, ever been disparaging about that, because I've always thought it was a great innovation. I mean, not that I'm responsible..."

How the **** does that even make sense? Does he listen to what he says?

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Klarth: Exclusive interview with Phil Harrison in the new issue of Edge...

**** I think my IQ just went down.