Wii Wi-Fi

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

I guess this can become a discussion for all things Wifi on the Wii, but for now, there's a just a bit of new released.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707865p1.html

Yeah, it's exactly like the DS. Different interface from game to game, friend codes are back, and of course it's free. Let's just hope they put a bit more thought and depth into it.

Posted by ExoXile

I would suspect there's a mic in the controller.
If so, the controller would work as a walkie-talkie!

Now that rad. :cool:

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Like MPH, you mean? :)

Posted by Lord of Spam

I dont have a DS, do I've no idea what the friend code things are like. I assume that its easy to use though. And I'm all about free stuff:cool2:

Quoted post: I dont have a DS, do I've no idea what the friend code things are like. I assume that its easy to use though. And I'm all about free stuff

Basically, for every new game that comes out, you're assigned a new friend-code (so, you'll end up having a lot eventually). I'd give mine to you, and you'd give yours to me. We'd enter eachothers' into our own game, and bam, we can play online together. Only then. Otherwise, the only way it would work is if we somehow got into the same random game. So far, only friends can play together and set up their own matches.

It's very, very basic. Don't expect anything like Halo 2 or something. But, you're getting it for free, right?

Posted by Klarth

I'd rather be able to be called Klarth online, though :( Still, cool.

Quoted post: I'd rather be able to be called Klarth online, though Still, cool.

Haven't played a DS game online, yet? You can make your own nickname, varying from game to game if you please. Heck, you can even change it multiple times in one single game if you grow bored with it. All that matters is the FC.

Posted by Colonel

Uggh, I despise friend codes they're just so much of a hassle. Atleast it's free.

Posted by TendoAddict

No Interface?.

I dont see that as being smart. Sure it works, but the Wii games wont be like DS ones.

Yet again I see how it could work.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Wings: Like MPH, you mean? :)

Why not? :)

I have yet to test all that stuff tho, no one wants to get thair arse kick'd. :(

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Vampiro: Basically, for every new game that comes out, you're assigned a new friend-code (so, you'll end up having a lot eventually). I'd give mine to you, and you'd give yours to me. We'd enter eachothers' into our own game, and bam, we can play online together. Only then. Otherwise, the only way it would work is if we somehow got into the same random game. So far, only friends can play together and set up their own matches.

It's very, very basic. Don't expect anything like Halo 2 or something. But, you're getting it for free, right?
Wow, that totally ****ing sucks. So you can only play with people you know personally in real life. And you have to enter a different code for each game.

Good job keeping it "easy and safe", Nintendo!

Posted by MooJ

Quoting Last Fog: Wow, that totally ****ing sucks. So you can only play with people you know personally in real life. And you have to enter a different code for each game.

Good job keeping it "easy and safe", Nintendo!

No thats only for friends you want to play against. You can still go online and play against people without the aid of friend codes.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting MooJ: No thats only for friends you want to play against. You can still go online and play against people without the aid of friend codes.
Oooh.. I read that description too quickly. That would have made me VERY disappointed. But still no universal online service is a let down, even though I completely expected that.

Yeah, well that's Nintendo for you. They aren't going to tarnish their nice clean reputation by having strange 13-year-olds swearing at you. I, for one, hope it's more of a Live-esque voice chat thing. That would work much better.

Also, wtf MooJ, welcome back. I noticed you were trolling on a few threads a while ago. What enticed you back to this shithole?

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Last Fog]Oooh.. I read that description too quickly. That would have made me VERY disappointed. But still no universal online service is a let down, even though I completely expected that.

The service is universal in the sense that they all use the same service with the same features. Doing something like cross-game invited is actually a very difficult thing to do, though.

Not with a unified service. But that means you have to use a portal for every single game, and it can slow things up like crazy.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Speedfreak: The service is universal in the sense that they all use the same service with the same features. Doing something like cross-game invited is actually a very difficult thing to do, though.
Yeah but it wont have features like Xbox live such as a universal friends list, which will be annoying. Hell, you cant even have a friends list at all without exchanging friend codes. And thats too much of a hassle so not many people will bother.

Posted by Drewboy64

I'm sure you can still have Rivals or something so that you can keep random people you meet online on a "secondary" friends list.

Posted by TendoAddict

I dont get why they they just dont make one friend code for everyone. Like a computer IP that made it one and not 100's of codes.

Im trying to figure how this would be bad and I come up dry.

Posted by Drewboy64

I wonder if we can have two different "accounts" on one system, because me and my brother will both be using one Wii, but I want to have my custom account and stats and such.

Quoted post: No Interface?.

There's one. There's just no set hub, like in Xbox Live.

Quoted post: Yeah but it wont have features like Xbox live such as a universal friends list, which will be annoying. Hell, you cant even have a friends list at all without exchanging friend codes. And thats too much of a hassle so not many people will bother.

it's apparently not too much of a hassle seeing as how WiFi Connect is all ready a huge hit. But really, what do you expect? With Xbox Live, you're paying around seventy bucks for a yearly service. Nintendo is giving it to you for free. If you have any problems with it, don't use it.

Posted by ExoXile

Think the connector will work for Wii?

Anyone else starting to like the name yet? :D

Yeah, the connector will work for Wii. If not, just use that workaround The X posted a while ago.

Posted by minismok

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Basically, for every new game that comes out, you're assigned a new friend-code (so, you'll end up having a lot eventually). I'd give mine to you, and you'd give yours to me. We'd enter eachothers' into our own game, and bam, we can play online together. Only then. Otherwise, the only way it would work is if we somehow got into the same random game. So far, only friends can play together and set up their own matches.

also instead it wont be based on the game. the friend code(s) will be ur wii number. so if a game like final fantasy came out on the wii then all u have to do is then give 100 people ur wii # and ur set for life for every other online game for the wii and if u need another friend u just add them and then ur set with them for life in online games. in simpler terms, u wont have to enter a code for every new online game u get for the wii like it was for the DS.