Gameboy Dead? Gameboy IS Dead.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: May 11, 2006 - In an interview with Reuter's yesterday, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said there may not be a successor to the Game Boy Advance.

"I would have a second thought about using our resources on what would be the next generation of Game Boy Advance, considering the strong support DS is now enjoying," Iwata said. "The Japanese game market is now evolving around DS. We don't need to do something that will pour cold water on the situation."

The news is significant as the Game Boy is the longest-running game system ever. Launched in 1989, the Boy and its many iterations have sold over 120 million units.

At its E3 booth this year, Nintendo is not showing any Game Boy or Gamecube games.

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/708/708063p1.html

Say goodbye to the Gameboy line. Because soon, it might not be around anymore. The DS is doing TOO well, and Nintendo doesn't want to ruin that success.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I still have my original GameBoy and GameBoy Pockets.

Price increase pls.

Posted by GameMiestro

The Gameboy isn't dead, it might be in the future, but as of now, it is still quite popular. There are still being more games released on it than either the Gamecube or the DS, and the still is good games coming for the system- just look at Mother 3, Super Robot Taisen, and Final Fantasy 5 and 6. The DS is a natural extension of the Gameboy line, and to think of Nintendo as killing a series of highly successful consoles is a little unfair.

Posted by Phantasma2

[COLOR="Black"]So the last Game Boy was the Micro.
Ehh, this was going to happen sooner or later.[/COLOR]

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Lord of Spam: I still have my original GameBoy and GameBoy Pockets.

Price increase pls.

I still have my original GameBoy, GameBoy Pocket, GameBoy Color, and GameBoy Advance.

Price increase pls.

It wouldn't really suprise me if this happened, but I will miss the GameBoy dearly, since, honestly, the DS hurts my hands after about a half-hour of play, whereas I could play my GBA SP for hours on end without any problems. Why that is, I don't know. Even if I have had a dry spell with my GBA (Last game I bought was MMBN4), I'd still be sad to see it end, since it's one of my favorite platforms.

Posted by Klarth

I still have my three original Game Boys, my Game Boy Pocket, my Game Boy Light, my Game Boy Colour, my Game Boy Advance and my Game Boy Advance SP. And my Balloon Fight and Zelda Game & Watches.

Price increase pls.

Hey, we'll see some interesting hardware following the DS.

Posted by GameMiestro

Next up- the DS Pocket!

Posted by Pit

R.I.P. Gameboy nevar forget 9/11

Quoted post: The Gameboy isn't dead, it might be in the future, but as of now, it is still quite popular

Fails for not realising the title was a quote.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote]Your search - "Gameboy Dead? Gameboy IS Dead." - did not match any documents.

Well, it's a quote now.

Quoted post: Well, it's a quote now.

"Linguo dead?"
"Linguo IS dead."

Posted by Random

Gee.. I owned the Original, Pocket, Color, Advace, Advance SP... And now it's dying. Such a shame...

I'm kind of suprised. I know the DS sells well but wasn't the SP a much better seller?

Posted by boomstick

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Gee.. I owned the Original, Pocket, Color, Advace, Advance SP... And now it's dying. Such a shame...

I'm kind of suprised. I know the DS sells well but wasn't the SP a much better seller?

Yes, but the GBA was also out much longer then the DS has been currently, the DS has barely been out a year or two.

Posted by Random

Quoting boomstick: Yes, but the GBA was also out much longer then the DS has been currently, the DS has barely been out a year or two.

Even so if memory serves me correct didn't the GBA sell better than the DS around christmas? The GBA has a cheap price tag along with a huge selection of titles as where the DS is building up the titles and is lowering in price. In time the DS will sell better but I wouldn't be too suprised to see the SP have overall better sales than the DS unless the DS is long lived.

in any case it'll be sad to see the Gameboy lineup go away. I hope someday they'll bring it back and it'll be backwards compatible.

Posted by coromoro

It makes me sad to see the Game Boy die, but it had to happen sometime. :(

Posted by Colonel

R.I.P Game boy.

Posted by Zeta

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/Kvar/tombstone.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Random

It's going to be Resurrected someday. Not sure if I spelled that right but I don't care to spell check. Anyways I doubt the Gameboy line is dead. Perhaps for a short time but it'll be back. When the DS dies down they'll need something to replace it which could be a new version of the Gameboy.

Or a new version of the DS. You know, kinda like what they did with the Gameboy for fifteen years.

Posted by Random

Eh but I speculate they'll have a "Gameboy" By the year 2012. They may make a new version of the DS but is it going to be Dual Screened too? Just with heavier graphics? Chances are the next system won't be called the DS. The DS is decent don't get me wrong but it's a turn off for gamers such as myself who don't really care to use a stylus and a touch screen. I'd still like to get a DS don't get me wrong (To play some of the games) but as innovative as it was it just seems semi dumb to me. And I know i'm not alone. I know many people who didn't buy DS's that were big into the Gameboy lineup because they didn't care for the Touch Screen.

Gameboys will be back.. Mark my words..

Posted by Pit

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Eh but I speculate they'll have a "Gameboy" By the year 2012. They may make a new version of the DS but is it going to be Dual Screened too? Just with heavier graphics? Chances are the next system won't be called the DS. The DS is decent don't get me wrong but it's a turn off for gamers such as myself who don't really care to use a stylus and a touch screen. I'd still like to get a DS don't get me wrong (To play some of the games) but as innovative as it was it just seems semi dumb to me. And I know i'm not alone. I know many people who didn't buy DS's that were big into the Gameboy lineup because they didn't care for the Touch Screen.

Gameboys will be back.. Mark my words..

Its gonna be out for almost 2 years now. Don't you think you should play it before bashing it?

Also, not every game requires the touch screen... and the ones that do are actually some of the best portable games out there. Assuming your taste in games doesn't suck.

Posted by Random

Quoting Pit: Its gonna be out for almost 2 years now. Don't you think you should play it before bashing it?

I never said I didn't play it. I have and I don't care for the touch screen much. I do enjoy playing it when I can use the D Pad and the other buttons. I'm not saying the DS is a bad handheld. I like the DS, and I plan to purchase one (Plus it plays GBA games), but i'm just saying i'm not a huge fan of it. So I hope the next handheld is just a handheld and not trying to be something more.

Chances are it's such a success because it IS trying to do "something more". Sure it would have done decently if it was just another Gameboy, but it rpobably wouldn't have beaten the PSP.

Posted by Random

I highly doubt the reason why it's beating the PSP is because of the touch screen. Out of all the DS owners I know, none of them said they purchased it for the Touch Screen. Infact very few of them use the Touch Screen.

Reasons why I'd get a DS over a PSP

1. Half the Price
2. Better Game Selection
3. Longer Battery Life
4. Plays GBA Games.

I'm not saying nobody enjoys the touch screen but i'm saying it still would have outsold the PSP.

Posted by Kestryl

You know, I think the two lines, DS and Game Boy, will just merge into one. They'll have babies! It's really weird, but I always considered the DS to be an evolved form of Game Boy. Go figure. Maybe 'cause it still plays GBA games, so it's pretty much a hybrid already.

You know what we need? A Game GIRL... come on Nintendo... you know it would reach out to non-gamers... ;)

Posted by Pit

Quoting Kestryl:

You know what we need? A Game GIRL... come on Nintendo... you know it would reach out to non-gamers... ;)

It's called a dildo.

Quoted post: I'm not saying nobody enjoys the touch screen but i'm saying it still would have outsold the PSP.

Not by much, I'm sure.

Posted by Random

Quoting Vampiro: Not by much, I'm sure.

I'm sure it wouldn't have changed much if at all. The PSP is just way too expensive and has a lot of Flaws. it's a nice system but its got a low battery life and $250 is a bit much. A DS which is half the price and plays GBA games even without the touchscreen and has the decent graphics that it has would still outsell the PSP. How many of you bought a DS for the touch screen? i'll go on a quest and ask every DS owner I have whether they like hte Touch Screen, if they bought it mainly because of it and what not. And i'll let you know what i come up with. I'll let you know results in a week.

Posted by coromoro

If Nintendo instead of releasing the Nintendo DS, with its innovative touch-screen would have just come out as a new Game Boy franchise, then, as Vampiro said, it would have definitely not sold as much as the Nintendo DS already has.

Sure, many people will buy the Nintendo DS for just the reason that it's a Nintendo handheld and that it plays games. Now, take that, but add the amount of people who see the touch-screen and say, "Ohh, wow, it has a touch screen!" Now, you say it isn't many, but it is quite a significant amount, but whatever, let's just dismiss that. Now, take a Nintendo game that takes full advantage of the Nintendo DS touch-screen, for example, Brain Age. The Brain Age games have sold over 5 million copies, and I'm sure that not everyone had a DS before that. And that's only one of Nintendo's many software franchises. Think of Nintendogs, Super Mario 64 DS, Wario Ware: Touched, Animal Crossing: Wild World, Metroid Prime: Hunters, etc. The list is endless.

Therefore, mathematically, I have proven that the touch-screen does indeed increase Nintendo DS sales substantially. :cool:

Posted by kolia

I say that nintendo is alive but the micro ruined it! DS is the best and i get pain after a while to and i know why. If ya look at the corners of the systems the ds's are very pointy XD. I hate though the DS's slogan, it sends a bad message. Touching is good... yeah thats a slogan that has died we need another grave. I have only a few games for ds and a few for gba but i got alot of x-box... I still play my ds even more than my x-box with it's variety because the DS games have gotten me hooked... Dang you mario! O well if you think that gameboy is dead then we should get the reanimater. WOOT!

Posted by ~vampire~

Quoting Vampiro:
Because soon, it might not be around anymore..

Systems/GBs never stay around once the company that created it improves their products. Look at the NES and its games. They aren't around anymore. You have to look on ebay to get them or in shops selling old school stuff. The very first GB is not even seen in public anymore. I haven't seen a GB color in ages, I haven't seen much of a NES/SNES since I've sold mine.Eh, thats life.

Quoting Vampiro: The DS is doing TOO well, and Nintendo doesn't want to ruin that success.

Well of course not. $$$, thats what they want. DS is a very new type of GB. 2 screens, possibilities or playing 2 types of GB games. Even a little net connection. Anyways, yes the DS is doing very well. Its competing well against PSP and I understand they dont want to lose that advantage they have right now.

Quoted post: Systems/GBs never stay around once the company that created it improves their products. Look at the NES and its games. They aren't around anymore. You have to look on ebay to get them or in shops selling old school stuff. The very first GB is not even seen in public anymore. I haven't seen a GB color in ages, I haven't seen much of a NES/SNES since I've sold mine.Eh, thats life.

Except the GB line has lasted 15 years (that includes improvements), unlike the consoles which have adopted a new name since every generation since the SNES. So, whoosh.

Posted by ~vampire~

Quoting Vampiro: Except the GB line has lasted 15 years (that includes improvements), unlike the consoles which have adopted a new name since every generation since the SNES. So, whoosh.

Agreed. GB changed, but it reamains popular. If we would still play with the very first GB (no colors, etc), it probably would have lost its popularity after 3 years. GB is still wanted because it improves. A NES has improved into a Snes, but then they stopped with the 2D and started the N64, new line. After the GC witch is not really a close to a N64 (thats what I think) and now were going into Wii. So yes, they change names and the overall system all the time, thats how they think they can make cash, but I think that if they just say Snes 3D or something like that instead of N64 it wouldn't change a **** thing.

Posted by PWND_U_IN_MK

The Gameboy isn't dead, I played mine yesterday.

Congratulations, you're an idiot. Even as a joke it fails.

Posted by ~vampire~

Quoting PWND_U_IN_MK: The Gameboy isn't dead, I played mine yesterday.

Dude, the title wasen't serious. Saying its dead is a way of saying nobody really wants to play with GBs anymore ;)

Quoted post: Dude, the title wasen't serious. Saying its dead is a way of saying nobody really wants to play with GBs anymore

no it's not. The title was simply a quote.

Posted by ~vampire~

ah ok...I'm kinda lost, but whatever.

Posted by PWND_U_IN_MK

W.E. leave me and my centipedes alone >_>

Posted by juliebriggs

man the gameboy micro was a flop. i cant name one person who owns that. u gotta wonder what nintendo was thinkin. espically with sony having a bigger screen, then take and make a system with a screen the size of a postage stamp. good job nintendo

The screen may have been smaller, but it looked better and allowed you to see more detail than regular GBA/SP screens. So that's pretty much moot.

Posted by ~vampire~

Your opinion, but I dint like the micro GB either. It was just annoying to play some sort of Ipod.

Posted by GameMiestro

The gameboy isn't dead until they stop releasing games for the system! That's like saying the DS is dead, cause they'd be crazy to release a *real* sequel with the same design that the DS has.

Quoted post: Your opinion,

That wasn't an opinion, you moron. It's actually a fact. Look it up.

Posted by coromoro

Nintendo sold enough units of the Game Boy Micro to make a decent profit, so I don't see why it would be a flop.

Posted by juliebriggs

i dont know anyone who owns a micro, and coming from a store that sold them, i never saw them move. they proly sold 2 at the most

Yeah, they didn't sell to well. But they also didn't cost much to make. So it's definitely not a flop.

And I think the only person I know that has one is Pit... not too sure aobut that though.

Posted by juliebriggs

i just think it was a poor marketing stragety... they released 3 different versions of the sp, then release the micro. most people already got a sp, got mad when there was a new version with a brighter screen, then just ignore the micros release. its cute, but i wouldnt buy one. the one i tryed at walmart made me squint to see the text on screen. it was terrible

Quoted post: i just think it was a poor marketing stragety... they released 3 different versions of the sp, then release the micro.

They released the GBA, then the SP, then Micro, then the brighter SP. Nintendo's been doing that for years. There was the original GB, then the smaller version, then pocket. Then there was Color, then there was the backlit colour, then there was the GBA. And so on.

It's not only Nintendo, too. Every company does this.

Posted by juliebriggs

either way, my sp got sold for 40 bucks. i play my gba titles through my gamecube. so much better

Posted by Ant

Yeah, I still play my GBA titles on my SP. Even though I could play them on the DS. I just like the feel of it on the SP more, considering it's not as heavy as the DS. Also, it fills up the entire screen.

And I just like to get use out of my SP still :angel:

Posted by The Legend of Me

The GBA is dead, becouse Nintendo is focusing all its efferts on the DS. I dont see much of a future for the GBA.

Posted by xXSquadXx

welll.. gameboy is a little out of date i think.. if they cant make it better cos it acctually sux lol :S

Posted by Random

Quoting xXSquadXx: welll.. gameboy is a little out of date i think.. if they cant make it better cos it acctually sux lol :S

LOLZ I THINK YOU SUX COS YOU IZ DUMB

Posted by Xero

Quoting xXSquadXx: welll.. gameboy is a little out of date i think.. if they cant make it better cos it acctually sux lol :S

No it doesn't...

Posted by Big Boss

I always viewed the Nintendo DS as a successor to the Game Boy Advance, despite what Nintendo representatives said against it. Not for one second did I believe Nintendo would release a true successor to the GBA while still supporting the DS. The DS can do everything a GBA can and more, so instead of releasing a new Game Boy with superior power, why not release a new DS with superior power? If this last statement is confusing to you, I could elaborate.

I hypothesized that a new "Game Boy" would only be released if the DS turned out to be a failure, because any company always needs a back-up plan when introducing something new to the market. That's why they didn't call the DS the "Game Boy DS," because if it flopped, it'd be the first Game Boy upgrade to be a failure, and Nintendo wouldn't want to risk having its once successful Game Boy line tarnished by a flop. The name was a symbol of Nintendo's consistent dominance of the target market, unlike their post-SNES home consoles.

By the same token, this explains why Nintendo went ahead and released the Game Boy Micro. With the success of the DS, Nintendo found their new powerhouse in the handheld market, so Game Boy was no longer the bread and butter on Nintendo's table. They could release an arguably unnecessary, likely overlooked Game Boy version without worrying too much about how the public would receive it.

Quoted post:
I hypothesized that a new "Game Boy" would only be released if the DS turned out to be a failure,

Exactly. The whole "Third pillar" thing was just a safety net. If the DS was a failure, they still had the GB, if the DS was successful, they can just let the GB line die off like it currently is.

Still though, it's kind of a shame to see the name die.