E3 2006: PlayStation 3 Inside & Out

Posted by Big Boss

Here's an informative article from GameSpot collecting all the information available for the PS3.

[url="http://www.gamespot.com/features/6125429/index.html"]Updated PS3: Inside & Out[/url]

It's a joy to hear programming in assembly (which is a pain when doing it for games) is still gone since the PS3 prototype shown last year, as well as its commitment to make available tools using C/C++ for working with the SPEs, and the use of the lovely software interface to 3D hardware, OpenGL. Since I started programming using OpenGL, I've converted from the school of DirectX. Rendering stuff is quicker and a heck of a lot more intuitive, so bye-bye to locking/unlocking buffers. Now all we have to worry about is what every programmer has to in the very near future: dreaded multithreading.

At any rate, the article also has info on the easy-to-digest stuff, like games and general system specs. Keep in mind, rabid haters, that the PS3 shown at E3 was a prototype so, for example, changes made to the number of USB and HDMI ports was a strong possibility. Also keep note that the 20GB PS3 has other missing features than a bigger hard drive, so it'll help to have a look.

Now, I'd really like to find out more on what's under the Wii's hood.

Posted by Linko_16

Awesome. I will definately read more of that when it's not 1:00 in the morning.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Quoting Big Boss]