Two Poems

Posted by Delilah

(Hey, these two are fresh-from the oven. Just wrote them today! The second one, though, is kind of hard to understand unless you've read the story that goes along with it. I'll post that sometime. Anyway, here is a short summry to clarify poem #2):

For Mr. Bram Stoker.

It was rumored, in the province of Transylvania, that there lived amongst them a man who sold his sold to the devil, and that he thrived off of the blood of mortals. Almost all accounts agree that this man’s name was Vladimir. Some, including Mr. Stoker’s, say that he was Vladimir Dracula, Count of Transylvania. Most say that he was related to the knights of the order, and old cult dedicated to defending Christianity in Eastern Europe.
This story- as far as Vampire legends go- filled with much debate and controversy. I will not stand to be called “copycat” or “plagiarist” as many, many published authors have written about the infamous Count Dracula.
It is about the private life of the misunderstood Count- and his family. His three brides: Apollonia, Brunhilde, and Emily. And his three sons: Constantine, Dietrich, and Raven.
Though not the “favorite” son of the Count, the story follows Raven Dracula. He was born a half-ling. Half-lings are the product of a contract made between the devil and Saint Christopher, the Catholic Saint of the Children. The contract was that, because children born of Vampiric parents had no say in the matter, they will not be infected with the curse. Although Lucifer agreed, he would not renounce his claim on the children, and made them ageless- so they, like their parents, would have to witness their loved ones die away as the centuries progressed.
Raven married, and through his young bride- Irena- bore only one child, whom he named Anya Ravenlina Dracula. (In Eastern Europe, girls’ middle names are always the names of their fathers’, with “Lina” attached to the end.)
On the night of her birth, the two midwives were turned away from Dracula manor, alive, under the condition that they told no one of the family that they had met. Later that eve, the knights of the order attacked the Manor, and killed Irena and Apollonia.The Dracula family was scattered: Raven, who was not at his daughter’s side, was forced to abandon her and flee. He is never seen again. Constantine took they babe after Irena was slain and fled. He and Anya later went to the New World, where they lived until present day.
As for the rest of the family, it is unknown. However, we do know that Vladimir and Emily escaped alive, and later met a man named Jonathan Harker (See the novel Bram Stoker‘s “Dracula).

And the rest of the story continues following Anya and Constantine. Now here are the poems I promised you guys.

"In the ever After"
I miss that warm sunlight, the cold earth
The moon, with her deceit and mystery
But most of all, I miss
The thought of you and me
Sitting aways in the back rows
We made our choice, so let it be
That in the ever-after
There is no You-And-Me

"Dear Anya"
Yor green eyes, that scared me so on the night of your birth
Those green eyes so beautiful, they shook the earth
Your hair, blacker than the demons in hell
The demons that, through I, laid upon you this evil spell
Your face, your eyes, they haunt me still
I saw them as I lay your mother's corpse upon that hill
"*** Forgive the Sinner," they wrote upon your mother's stone
*** giveth, and taketh away, and left me all alone
The fates of my brother, my daughter, are uncertain
And I placed upon him that heavy burden
Of watching over those hateful, resenting eyes
Of laughing with you when you're happy, of comforting your cries
I'll remember you- but only as ababe- forever and always
Alas! ths is the price that my heart pays
Would I give my life, if for only moments with you?
Yes, mylife is a fair price for moments so few
My enemy, my ***! Have mercy on my innocent child!
Save my daughter's spirit, that spirit so rebellious and wild!
You gave your only son so we might live without fear or shame
But I beg you- do not ask of me the same!
And when I hold her in my arms once more
Those bitter memories shattering to the floor
I'll have to let her know
"Dear Anya, it is time for me to go,"
And yet, how reluctant am I
To let her go and say goodbye!

Posted by Lord of Spam

First one seemed like it was going to be just another crappy emo poem, but then ended up being not that bad. As for the second one, tl;dr.

Posted by Kiyoshi

I liked the first one better. I can't write poetry, although I wish I could. All my attemps are childish and stupid. So no poetry from me! :D

But yeah, I get the first one more than the second.

Posted by Delilah

Dude, if your poetry seems childish, keep practicing. My poems sucked when i first started, and looked like something a goldfish might have the capacity to write. Keep practicing, an you'll get better! Also, try reading lots of other peoples' poems-

(I suggest Edgar Allan Poe and Emily Dickenson.)

Posted by Lord of Spam

Yeah, practice makes it a lot better. Also, dont force it. Only write down what you feel. An interesting excersize is to sit in a random spot, and spin your pencil on the ground. What ever it stops pointing at, write about what that makes you feel. Chances are that whatever you write is going to suck, but the more you do it, the more you get used to thinking about how you feel.

Reading isnt as useful as it seems if you want to write to express yourself (though obviously you can "borrow" people's styles if you cant find your own). It mostly helps you get used to not seeing the super common rhyme strucutres, and might up your vocabulary if you stick with it.

Posted by Kiyoshi

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I might try that LoS. I do love Edgar Allen Poe. He's pretty kick ***. The Raven was the best poem ever.

Posted by Delilah

OMG, thats where I got the Idea for my story character, Raven.

Posted by Kiyoshi

"Never more" Said the Raven, "Never More"

Edgar Allen Poe was deeply distrubed, and so cool! He was truly great. How I wish he could be alive today.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I had most of the raven memorized for a while, but then I never had need for it and lost it. Most of his best stuff was in short stories, though. He tended to be pretty freakin' emo in his poetry.

Posted by Kiyoshi

Pit and the Pendulam was the best short story. Hop Frog wasn't too bad either. But yeah, Pit and the Pendulam takes the cake.

Posted by Delilah

My favorite short stories were "The Black Cat" and "The Tell-Tale Heart."
I didn't think he was too emo. Some people just need to express themselves- sometimes, writing is the only way they can lash out at the world once and a while. I didn't like Hop Frog too much... I don't know why.

Posted by Lord of Spam

He wasnt really lashing out though. His childhood had just given him a warped sense of beauty and he incorporated that into his work.

And either Never Bet the Devil You Head or The Sphinx are the best.

On a side note, I have a copy of his works from 1953 that is still in amazing shape. I keep it with my 1951 second edition Catcher in the Rye and my 1903 Book of Rules of Order.

Posted by Delilah

Quoting Lord of Spam: He wasnt really lashing out though. His childhood had just given him a warped sense of beauty and he incorporated that into his work.

And either Never Bet the Devil You Head or The Sphinx are the best.

On a side note, I have a copy of his works from 1953 that is still in amazing shape. I keep it with my 1951 second edition Catcher in the Rye and my 1903 Book of Rules of Order.

Whoa. Cool- where did you get those from? Ebay? I saw in a museum, an original copy of his first published book- it was only a panflit, and did not even have his name on it. Poor dude. That would seriously **** me off.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I worked at a library for like two years. When people donated books, sometimes they got donated to the library... and sometimes they got donated to the people that worked there.:cool:

Posted by Delilah

Sweet. I could never work in a library though... I guess, really, though i love books, I could never stand the quiet. But, actually, I'd like to sell some of my scripts sometime... yeah... that would be kick-***.
*Sighs*

Posted by Kiyoshi

The Black Cat scared me. I also put something like that in one of my novels, or it will be. Oh, it's going to be so much fun to write.

I have all of his works in one very thick volume. My mom bought it for me at my request. I love it. I have all his short stories, and all his poems. Everything! It rocks.

Posted by Sable Wind

Actually, it was simply Vlad III Dracula, and he was the prince of Wallachia. And Stoker never said that. D:

Posted by Xenos

'Good.'