Super Mario Galaxy

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[URL="http://uk.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?event=e32006&sid=6149676&pid=915692"]Also really excited about this[/URL]

There weren't many hints to how it played at the Nintendo Press Conference, but it sure looks a lot of fun. Is this Mario 128?

Posted by muffla

i shure hope so looks great

Posted by Pit

Quoting The X: [URL="http://uk.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?event=e32006&sid=6149676&pid=915692"]Also really excited about this[/URL]

There weren't many hints to how it played at the Nintendo Press Conference, but it sure looks a lot of fun. Is this Mario 128?

There aren't any hints because it wasn't playable yet. They're allowing people to play it today.

And yes, this is the new mario platformer we've all been waiting for :)

Posted by Klarth

Remember how that "Mario 128" tech demo shown at E3 2001 (I think) had all those Marios on a floating disc? This looks familiar.

Posted by Klarth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4wnkLKgfgQ

Gameplay footage OH THIS LOOKS AMAAAAAAAZING

Posted by Dog

i like how you walk right around the little planet things.

Posted by Drewboy64

my *** this game looks amazing. The possabilities seem endless with the new space gameplay. And the graphics are fantastic, especially at the bossfight. Man, this game looks so fun. I wish I had it. Yup.

Posted by Ant

Well, from what I read from the IGN hands-on article. It seems pretty interesting. From what they said, you basically hop from planet to planet via a launching technique. Also, while on said planets/satellites you can go all around them. So it should make for some interesting puzzles and platforming. Another interesting thing was that it seems that you will have to use a spin move quite a bit, to deflect items and such thrown at you.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

So, I'm going to assume that each planet has something special about it and they each have their own physics and whatnot, and I'll be correct to assume that, right?

Because I'll be disappointed if I'm not.

Though I'm glad to see they're doing something different with Mario. Different in the sense that they seem to be continuing with a Sunshine feel, but in a different setting with different abilities.

Posted by Zeta

For some reason, the idea of a space-themed Mario game makes me hope for the return of Tatanga.

I mean, they brought back Daisy, why not the guy that kidnapped her?

Posted by Pit

Quoting Vampiro: So, I'm going to assume that each planet has something special about it and they each have their own physics and whatnot, and I'll be correct to assume that, right?

Because I'll be disappointed if I'm not.

Though I'm glad to see they're doing something different with Mario. Different in the sense that they seem to be continuing with a Sunshine feel, but in a different setting with different abilities.

Looks nothing like sunshine, gameplay wise.

Looks nothing like Mario 64, gameplay wise.

I've been waiting for this... io mi gah

Quoted post: Looks nothing like sunshine, gameplay wise.

The look and feel of the world and characters I mean. Not the gameplay.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Pit: Looks nothing like sunshine, gameplay wise.

Looks nothing like Mario 64, gameplay wise.

I've been waiting for this... io mi gah
Looks a LOT like sunshine gameplay wise. Sure the controls are different with the remote but its the same basic mario style of backflips, triple jumps, etc. And visually the two are nearly identical, aside from the space theme.

I'm really not that impressed... it looks to me like just something to show of what the controller can do. It reminds me of Luigi's Mansion when gamecube came out. But its hard to judge.

Posted by Linko_16

An unusual theme for Mario, but just moving around and whatnot in that new style is going to be huge fun.

Posted by maian

I hope the final version will have some bigger worlds. Pretty interesting theme nonetheless. Just as I loved M64, I'm sure I'll love this. However, I'm going to have to make my first Wii Gameplay experience Twilight Princess.

I am very comforted though, reading the IGN hands-on.

Hah, the boss fights look really fun.

Posted by Ant

Yeah, while watching a video of them playing it. It shows Mario land on a big planet with wildlife and everything. So the smaller planets will be like the castle(in 64), and the big planets will be like the painting. And of course, you'll probably have to earn so many stars(or whatever) to get to the next big planets. I have very high hopes already for this one. Probably going to be one of the first games I get.

Posted by Ant

OMG DOUBLE POST!

[quote=IGN]E3 2006: Mario to Miss Launch
Miyamoto says Galaxy should arrive within the first six months of Wii's debut.
by Matt Casamassina

May 10, 2006 - In an after hours press event on Wednesday night, Nintendo designer and manager Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed that Super Mario Galaxy would probably not launch with Wii later this year.

"[Galaxy] is progressing along quite well, but it's often said that when I get involved in a project I upend the tea table. I don't want to promise anything yet. But if it's not a launch title it will definitely be there within the first six months," Miyamoto said.

A short demo of Super Mario Galaxy was playable at E3 and it is a contender for IGN's Game of the Show.

It's unfortunate, I suppose, but if it's for the good of the game then they should delay it by all means.

Posted by Linko_16

It's possible that some of these games coming out just after Wii's release (this and SSBB, at least) were originally supposed to be in the beginning line-up, but Nintendo was pressured to get the console out there with X-Box 360 and PS3 already on the shelves. Just speculation.

EDIT -

[quote=Miyamoto]but it's often said that when I get involved in a project I upend the tea table.

What?

Quoted post: What?

I imagine him coming into the office, looking at the games and yelling "**** THIS, THIS IF ****, DO IT OVER!" and proceeds to fly into a blinding rage smashing everything important and valuable.

All in a very comical way, of course, because let's face it, he's Miyamoto.

Anywho, it's sad to find out the game won't make launch. Same with SSBB. But as long as they need it, so be it.

Posted by Arczu

The meaning behind that statement... maybe he says that he likes to delay things (sort of take a break when stuff needs to be done... maybe?)

But it looks like pointing the Wii-mote on the screen had quite a bit of function too. I think it was being used to pick up those stars. They used it to ring that bell too. This is going to get very interesting.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Quoting Vampiro: I imagine him coming into the office, looking at the games and yelling "**** THIS, THIS IF ****, DO IT OVER!" and proceeds to fly into a blinding rage smashing everything important and valuable.

Lol. In a tux.

Posted by TendoAddict

This game looks F'ing impressive. I really liked the robo boss fight on IGN. Ofcourse it was dumbed down but I can just imagine a ton of good fights.

It looks like they can mold this game into a billion different challenges too. They tryed to do that In Sun Shine with the Water but ultimately didnt achive what they wanted too. Now it looks like anythings ok.

By the way, Is it me or are these Demo player F-u-c-k-i-n-g IDIOTS! Half the time the couldnt manage a triple jump.

"A DURRRR, HOW DO I JUMP? This technology is too advanced for me. What the a button? NO WAI!!!11"

I know this new technology but COME ON. Its still mostly pressing buttons and moving a controll stick. I would hope they would get the learning curve in the first THREE minutes.

Posted by Drewboy64

oh my crap, this game looks amazing! The graphics are SO amazing! And the second video on http://media.revolution.ign.com/media/748/748588/vids_1.html is like Shadow of the Colossus: Mario Style!

my ***, i cant believe people say Wii's graphics aren't good enough. This game looks so ****ing amazing! The controls look really fun too.

It'd be cool if the galaxy was the overworld, and certain planets, some larger than others, were the levels. It probably is like that. In fact, it definately is.

Quoted post: By the way, Is it me or are these Demo player F-u-c-k-i-n-g IDIOTS! Half the time the couldnt manage a triple jump.

"A DURRRR, HOW DO I JUMP? This technology is too advanced for me. What the a button? NO WAI!!!11"

I know this new technology but COME ON. Its still mostly pressing buttons and moving a controll stick. I would hope they would get the learning curve in the first THREE minutes.

Maybe because not everyone has played Mario 64. Nor have they ever touched a Wii controller before. You have to consider the fact that they're picking up a game AND controller that they've never touched before. Heck, the haven't even read an instruction manual. But it looks like most people got a hang of it before they even got off the first island.

Posted by Zeta

Guys. Guys. C'mon. Tatanga. You know you want him in this.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro: Maybe because not everyone has played Mario 64. Nor have they ever touched a Wii controller before. You have to consider the fact that they're picking up a game AND controller that they've never touched before. Heck, the haven't even read an instruction manual. But it looks like most people got a hang of it before they even got off the first island.

I know I know.

Im just frusterated when I see a Game play video and these people are fumbling all over themselfs. It would of been cooler if they took videos of more exsperinced players. But I guess I cant blame them for having a learning curve.

Also, a lot of the people seem to be taking their time, rather than doing what needs to be done to beat the demo. Maybe it's fumbling with the controllers, or maybe they're spacing their time out. But I wouldn't doubt much of it is the latter. They want good footage, they want to experience every bit of it. And you can do either if you just blast through the levels.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Zeta: Guys. Guys. C'mon. Tatanga. You know you want him in this.

Agree'd. Even if he's not, like, the big bad end-boss, he still needs a spot in a game like this... he practically writes himself in. Haven't seen the old guy since Super Mario Land 2.

Though I worry Nintendo will ruin him after such a long time.

Posted by shep

If anyone has G4tv,they showed at E3 06' confrence the game play using the wii,but when they said what platform it was for(which was obvious) they said it was for the gamecube, I'm some what confuzed.

Quoted post: If anyone has G4tv,they showed at E3 06' confrence the game play using the wii,but when they said what platform it was for(which was obvious) they said it was for the gamecube, I'm some what confuzed.

... lol?

Posted by Burrito

Quoting Zeta: For some reason, the idea of a space-themed Mario game makes me hope for the return of Tatanga.

I mean, they brought back Daisy, why not the guy that kidnapped her?

That is the first thought that came to my mind when I heard of this game. I mean, who else would kidnap Peach and bring her to space?

Space Bowser.

Posted by Bebop

This cos look fantastic. The graphics are very well polished too. Although I'd really need to play this. i can't help but feel the controls described so far are too confusing.

I don't think this is Mario 128.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Vampiro: Space Bowser.

I can see it now. He's even greener, and his Koopa Clown Car has flashing lights all over.

Quoted post: I don't think this is Mario 128.

They said it was the next true Mario game when asked if it was Mario 128. So that pretty much implies that it is.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Vampiro: Space Bowser.

That almost made me cry a little.

I really don't understand what you guys are ****ting yourselves over, it doesn't look very good.

Quoted post: I really don't understand what you guys are ****ting yourselves over, it doesn't look very good.

We're ****ting ourselves because it looks very good.

gtfo ian, fanboys only

Quoted post: gtfo ian, fanboys only.

Plus, it's Mario... IN SPACE

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting s0ul: That almost made me cry a little.

I really don't understand what you guys are ****ting yourselves over, it doesn't look very good.

Actually, it does.

Posted by TendoAddict

You know, I was thinking it would be fun if there was a way at certain times you could use a jet pack to fly though pack.

Hell, you could use the Fludd from sunshine and use the same mechanics. I just think it would be fun the fly though sapce on you're own terms.

Posted by s0ul

Maybe it's just because Sunshine was so criminally bad, but this game excites me the least of pretty much any of the launch titles. It also reminds me of the Knuckles in space levels of SA2:B and that ****es me off. I really just can't see these tiny, spherical planets playing well at all, as moving and jumping in general is very awkward and irritating on such curved surfaces.

Quoted post: Maybe it's just because Sunshine was so criminally bad,

That's where I stopped reading. As, though it wasn't as great as I hoped, it wasn't THAT bad. But that's just my opinion, so...

Quoted post: I really just can't see these tiny, spherical planets playing well at all, as moving and jumping in general is very awkward and irritating on such curved surfaces.

Yeah, I read the rest. Anywho, that seemed to be a "wtf" moment for a few people. But they seemed to get over it pretty quick.

Posted by s0ul

Oh. Well, maybe people lie about their opinions so that they agree with mine because I'm really cool, but all my friends that played Sunshine thought it was as bad as I did. I spent the vast majority of my time playing it running around and throwing up on people with Yoshi.

I guess I prefer to not have to "get over" something that appears to be extremely common in a game. Supressing my urge to turn off a game is not my idea of a good time.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting s0ul: It also reminds me of the Knuckles in space levels of SA2:B and that ****es me off.

In that regard, I know exactly what you mean. Hopefully, Nintendo will work out the gravity system a little better.

Posted by Dexter

The game does look like it involves excessive jumping, which can be the most frustrating aspect of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. I'm into the entire space theme though. I'm looking forward to and hoping for some classic 70s space sounds and musical scores. I wasn't able to hear the music at all from the videos I watched.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Dexter: The game does look like it involves excessive jumping, which can be the most frustrating aspect of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. .

... it's a ****ing platformer

Posted by Dexter

Banjo-Kazooie and Star Fox Adventures didn't have such maddening jumping tasks.

Of course, those mini stages in Sunshine where you had to make your way through all the trickering objects was my favorite part of the game. Still, there were definitely times when I got a bit frustrated. Probably helped me like the game and remember it more.

Posted by Pit

Star Fox Adventures was an Action RPG, wtf

Posted by Dexter

If Star Fox Adventures was an RPG, then Zelda is an RPG.

Posted by Pit

ZELDA IS AN ACTION RPG.

Posted by Burrito

Starfox Adventures and Zelda are both of the action-adventure genre. I do have to agree that jumping should definitely be expected in a platformer.

Posted by Dexter

I expect it. I look forward to it. It's just that Mario Galaxy looks to have an excessive amount of it. It doesn't look like any land is really that large. It seems as though you'll always be traveling from one little planet to the next.

Posted by Burrito

Oh, well that's just the demo. I'm sure they'll have some huge planets.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Burrito: Starfox Adventures and Zelda are both of the action-adventure genre. I do have to agree that jumping should definitely be expected in a platformer.

Well both extended a HP and Magic, and you collect various items through a vast world while doing puzzles. Where you dont really gain levels, your character undergoes changes that makes him stronger, and items level up as well.

Posted by Drewboy64

THis game looks amazing, like the part where Mario fights the giant Shadow of the Colossus-type robot. I hope they have more bosses like that, becuase it's like fighting a giant one of thsoe levels in sunshine where you loose your pack.

Posted by Burrito

Quoting Pit: Well both extended a HP and Magic, and you collect various items through a vast world while doing puzzles. Where you dont really gain levels, your character undergoes changes that makes him stronger, and items level up as well.

Really, RPG is a confusing genre to define. The term RPGs came from games like Dungeons and Dragons. At that time RPGS were easy to define, as a game where you could customize you're character and choose paths. Then Japanese RPGs came along and twisted the meaning of RPGs as something more linear and story based.

I would say that these games are almost RPGs. They're just next to line that seperates them from RPGs, but they're just not RPGs. For RPGs, you need to clearly be able to level up. In a way that if you kept leveling up, you could easily beat the game, without really getting better,usually.

Posted by Pit

So that leaves Zelda and Starfox at Action Adventure with heavy RPG influence, right?

Posted by Burrito

I see no reason to just to leave it as action adventure. As that really describes what an action RPG is, action and adventure. It just helps keep genres more specific. So one can easily identify what a game plays like.

Point is: Zelda has always been an action game with RPG elements. That's pretty much common knowledge. To argue otherwise is pointless, as you'd be wrong.

Posted by Burrito

Actually, the point was that Zelda and Starfox are not platform games, which is true, either way you look at it.

Quoted post: Actually, the point was that Zelda and Starfox are not platform games, which is true, either way you look at it.

... not the original point. Notice how no one brought it up since Dexter?

Posted by NightmareBassX

Well I would definitely have to say a "platformer" does involves much jumping, due to its name. Im not actually sure about this, but it kind of stands out. Platformer meaning jumping from platform to platform. Although Im not sure where the name came from, Im guessing its that.

Posted by TendoAddict

A platformer is a very difficult thing to describe now as is a RPG.

Most of these names were made back when video games were young and simple. Platformers were dealing with jumping on platforms and RPG's where games with roles you played.

Games Like Mario stereotyped platformers and games Like FinalFintasy stereotyped rpgs. So when games that have alot of role playing but isnt a stereotypical Final Fantasy esk system it causes confusion.

We just need to keep open to the fact that you have to be open to what a "Platformer" or a "RPG" can be.

Posted by Burrito

I think platformer is probably one of the easiest to identify. It's a game that involves a lot of jumping. It's pretty simple.

Posted by MarioStar

I NEED This Game!

Posted by maian

Sadly, this game doesn't really excite me yet. I will get it, and I will love it, but I have to know a bit more before I buy it. What I want to see is characters, and bigger worlds. Then I'll be excited.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting maian: Sadly, this game doesn't really excite me yet.

My avatar covers my reaction to this.

Posted by maian

It's a very interesting game, and I'm positive I'll love it to death. But for right now, I'm not thinking "OH MY GAWD I'VE GOTTA GET THIS GAME COME OUT NOW PLZ"

I need to see more. :X

Posted by Zeta

Oh shi-

I thought this was the SSBB thread. >_>;

Ignore my previous post.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Zeta]Oh shi-

Ignore my previous post.

Heh, I was thinking- "Does Zeta really like this game that much?"

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Zeta: Oh shi-

Ignore my previous post.
Even so, I could understand not being excited about that game for the same reason maian said. The trailer shows off a few new characters but nothing more. Nothing to be shocked about.

Posted by TendoAddict

Im happy with the trailer but I can understand not being satifyed with the demo. We saw so little not everyone could get hooked. Im sure as the days go on you will get hooked. And im Ilso judging that the whole game wont be played on little islands.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Dexter: The game does look like it involves excessive jumping, which can be the most frustrating aspect of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine.

Jumping around was the best part of SM64 and Super Mario Sunshine. I don't think I've played a 3D platformer quite as good as SM64. This game, and any other chance I get to relive that feeling, is bound to be a favorite of mine.

Quoted post: A platformer is a very difficult thing to describe now as is a RPG.

Most of these names were made back when video games were young and simple. Platformers were dealing with jumping on platforms and RPG's where games with roles you played.

Games Like Mario stereotyped platformers and games Like FinalFintasy stereotyped rpgs. So when games that have a lot of role playing but isnt a stereotypical Final Fantasy esk system it causes confusion.

We just need to keep open to the fact that as videogame's evolve it gets harder and harder to lable them as "Platformer" or"RPG".

It's really easy to define both and place the correct games in the correct categories. The only difference between then and now is the fact that more games don't fit into just one genre, but that doesn't mean it gets more difficult. For example: First-person survival horror.

Heh, I recently had some huge arguments defining the difference between RPG and Adventure. So some are a lot harder to define.

It's not so hard if you look at it form a basic standpoint. If they character grows and becomes stronger throughout the adventure, if the games uses stats or even if the character levels up, uses MP or HP, then you could easily stick it in the RPG genre. Even if it's just an "Adventure game with light RPG elements".

It's no different than sticking music into its correct genres.

Heh, but you see, I've always firmly classed Zelda in the Adventure genre, with only very very slight RPG elements. Come to that, then, look at PoP - definitely Adventure by any sense of the word. But doesn't he have health? Couldn't the sand tanks represent MP?

I mean, come on. Name me an adventure game where the characters don't have health and some sort of secondary meter. RPGs tend to have much more of a focus on thse things, but just because some games share some elements doesn't mean you can classify them as that genre.

Quoted post: But doesn't he have health? Couldn't the sand tanks represent MP?

Which is probably why you wouldn't use just those two things to define the genre. Otherwise you could say every game is an RPG.

Quoting Vampiro: Otherwise you could say every game is an RPG.

Well, arguably, every game is 'role-playing'. But yeah, what elements would you define in an PRG genre?

Pretty much listed the main ones. It's not so hard to go back to one of your favourite RPGs, see what it has, then go play Zelda and notice a lot of similar things.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro: It's really easy to define both and place the correct games in the correct categories. The only difference between then and now is the fact that more games don't fit into just one genre, but that doesn't mean it gets more difficult. For example: First-person survival horror.

True.

The actual naming of the genre is quit easy.

But what I ment to say is that using the old stadards such as Platform and RPG is limiting . Evoultion of the genre is imprtant and using lables and conceptions from the early 90's is a terrible way to go about today's industy.

Quoted post: But what I ment to say is that using the old stadards such as Platform and RPG is limiting . Evoultion of the genre is imprtant and using lables and conceptions from the early 90's is a terrible way to go about today's industy.

Except most games still play similar to how they did 20 years ago. Platformers and fighters are petty much unchanged when it comes down to the basic mechanics.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro: Except most games still play similar to how they did 20 years ago. Platformers and fighters are petty much unchanged when it comes down to the basic mechanics.

But new games Like Kingdom Hearts warp people conception of the genre. The game is still an rpg but since the core system is not like a traditional rpg and people get confused. While some games like fighters hardly ever get changed from core principals other types like rpg's are subject to change depending on the game.

Quoted post: people get confused.

People get confused about the simplest things like poptarts. Because they're stupid.

An RPG doesn't have to be turn-based to be an RPG, and if that causes confusion, then who cares about those people?

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro: People get confused about the simplest things like poptarts. Because they're stupid.

An RPG doesn't have to be turn-based to be an RPG, and if that causes confusion, then who cares about those people?

True dat

Posted by Drewboy64

http://media.revolution.ign.com/media/748/748588/vids_1.html
New vid. Some of hte music seems very zelda-esque.

And why the hell is my avatar a ****ing gay bunny?