Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Posted by Klarth

Turns out this screenshot's the real deal.

There was a four-minute-or-so gameplay video at the press conference, and there are weapons from Hunters. Most importantly, there is Ridley. Rejoice.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/706/706030p1.html

Hands-on impressions.

So far so good it seems. There's certain effects that look nicer, and the settings seem to be bigger, but overall it looks about the same. Which is not such a bad thing, really. But the controls should really set it apart, and I especially like the idea of using the grapple beam as an offensive weapon. Should be fun.

Posted by Zeta

Must... contain... fanboyism...

Posted by GameMiestro

I was considering writing about the name, until it was generally decided that it was a load of phooey.Then it was decided to be official again, and now I'm just annoyed... yet at the same time, happy for the game. I'm sure the graphics don't look as bad as that picture (more like the pics in the other MP3 thread, I hope)

Quoted post: I'm sure the graphics don't look as bad as that picture (more like the pics in the other MP3 thread, I hope)

Trailers everywhere. Go watch them. It looks like the other MPs just with better effects.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I'm guessing the title refers to Phazon/Dark Samus? It looks amazing - I'm glad it's taking elements from Hunters. Maybe we'll see Trace or Weavel again?

I'm seriously sad that this one brings closure to the Prime series.

:(

Posted by Klarth

Out with a bang.

I've yet to finish 1 or even play 2, so I'm not complaining :)

Posted by Pit

Quoting Klarth:
Turns out this screenshot's the real deal.

There was a four-minute-or-so gameplay video at the press conference, and there are weapons from Hunters. Most importantly, there is Ridley. Rejoice.

Why would I rejoice for Ridley. It's overdone.

He was in Metroid 1. They revive him in Metroid Prime right after 1. Now he's in Prime 3. Then he was in Super Metroid. Then in fusion.

That's overdone.

How about Kraid?

Posted by Klarth

Kraid is fat.

Posted by GameMiestro

I was under the general idea that the name "Prime" simpily referred to Metroid being in 3-D. After all, Metroid Prime Hunters was in 3-D, even though it had nothing to do with the storyline. If there will be no more Prime games after this, then that might mean only 2-D Metroids. Hmm...

Posted by Klarth

*Crosses fingers for some kind of Metroid Dread news*

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting GameMiestro: I was under the general idea that the name "Prime" simpily referred to Metroid being in 3-D. After all, Metroid Prime Hunters was in 3-D, even though it had nothing to do with the storyline. If there will be no more Prime games after this, then that might mean only 2-D Metroids. Hmm...

It does say in one of the previews that Corruption will 'bring closure' to the Prime series.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Klarth: Kraid is fat.

You know what they say about fat lizards. ;)

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

So - the ship? This gives us a hint to the place on the timeline, I guess. Pre-Fusion, but post-every other Metroid beforehand? I can't remember what the ship looked like in Return of Samus, but in Super Metroid, it was definitely the ol' fattie variant.

:cool:

Posted by Axis

This will probably be the launch title I pick up when I get my Wii. The past 2 were freaking awesome and can't wait to play this one.

Posted by Dexter

I really did enjoy the isolated, eerie feelings I got from Prime and Echoes. I completed both entirely and I'm sure by the time Corruption comes around I'll be ready for a new Metroid adventure. Hope it has a decently slow-paced, spine-chilling, ominous musical score.

Posted by GameMiestro

[IMG]http://www.gen-n.net/dyk/media/002b.jpg[/IMG]

Appearantly would have been in the game if the designers had more time. Gene Kohler was a Retro artist, so it seems authentic.

Posted by Dexter

I hope they do something better with the map and "what to do/where to go next" part. I spend hours trying to figure out where to go and what to do next. One of my major after impressions of the games are usually thinking about the time I spent looking towards what to do and finding where to go. After I finish the game I am relieved that it is over instead of wanting more. Am I the only one who has this difficulty with the game? Klarth said he hasn't finished either, so maybe he knows what I mean.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Dexter: I hope they do something better with the map and "what to do/where to go next" part. I spend hours trying to figure out where to go and what to do next. One of my major after impressions of the games are usually thinking about the time I spent looking towards what to do and finding where to go. After I finish the game I am relieved that it is over instead of wanting more. Am I the only one who has this difficulty with the game? Klarth said he hasn't finished either, so maybe he knows what I mean.

To be honest, I'm the other way round in most of the more modern Metroid games. I see plenty of areas, and I think 'drat, I need the jump boots/morph ball/screw attack to get there', and then when I attain a new item, I'm spoilt for choice with regards to locations to visit. I always get excited when I find a new item.

In Metroid, and Return of Samus, on the other hand, I was stumped from start to finish.

Posted by Dexter

I'll get a new item and not remember all the previous places that I can use it. I have to journey everywhere trying to discover all the places again. It's really time consuming and repetitive.

Posted by GameMiestro

That's why people like Zero Mission. If I really wanted I "pure adventure", I'd nuke a hole straight to Mother Brain's room and take it out with Power Bombs :P

Quoted post: I'll get a new item and not remember all the previous places that I can use it. I have to journey everywhere trying to discover all the places again. It's really time consuming and repetitive.

There's a tip feature for a reason. Though, I never had a problem with remembering places.

Quoted post: It does say in one of the previews that Corruption will 'bring closure' to the Prime series.

There's obviously going to be more Prime-like games. Just not part of the Prime series.

Posted by Tails

It seems like it's going to be on the Wii. This'll be fun! Using the Wiimote to more specificly shoot things will be more intreging! I should probably bring out my old Duck Hunt game and brush up on my accuracy...

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

"Retro Studios also confirmed that Metroid Prime 3 will depart from the light and dark world setup introduced in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and instead feature large areas to explore on multiple worlds. Though Samus will use her new gunship to travel between planets, players hoping to pilot Samus Aran's new gunship may be disappointed to hear that they will not be able to pilot the ship themselves. Travel between areas likely occurs only in cutscene form. That's not to say that the ship doesn't feature a large role in the game, however. Retro hinted at a new visor mode that lets Samus command her ship from the ground. For example, she can use the gunship uplink to blow up obstacles in her way and gain access to new areas."

OMG. If implemented right, aerial support would be awesome...

Posted by Tails

Controlling Samus's gunship...? \(ToT)/ *crying with happiness*

So, uh, the control looks like a pain in the ***. I hate how you have to drag the screen just to look over a few inches. Hopefully that will be worked out.

Posted by GameMiestro

Hopefully, they will use a similar control scheme to Hunters. It could logically work, it would just be a little less accurate.

Quoted post: Hopefully, they will use a similar control scheme to Hunters. It could logically work, it would just be a little less accurate.

How wouldn't it be accurate? Hunters is basically pixel-perfect when it comes to accuracy, and since the controller acts as a stylus, I don't see it being any different.

Plus, the current control seems to be inaccurate, as seen by the need to lock on. Also, you have to figure that, because you're dragging the screen, chances are you're bound to overshoot your target, forcing you to move the controller back over.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Vampiro: So, uh, the control looks like a pain in the ***. I hate how you have to drag the screen just to look over a few inches. Hopefully that will be worked out.

I'm hoping it'll be a little like "Hold a trigger and wave the Wiimote" to look around.

Quoted post: I'm hoping it'll be a little like "Hold a trigger and wave the Wiimote" to look around.

Not yet. Seems like the major complaint is how long it takes to turn.

And the button thing is really pointless. The Wiimote is supposed to allow you all this freedom, and your idea is just as contraining as the GC controller was. Really, the control should be a more fleshed-out MPH.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Vampiro]How wouldn't it be accurate? Hunters is basically pixel-perfect when it comes to accuracy, and since the controller acts as a stylus, I don't see it being any different.

With the DS's stylus, there is friction when you move the stylus across the screen. With the Wii remote, even holding the gun still would be a difficult task, because of how difficult it is to keep your arms perfectly steady. Sure, the Wii remote will work, but can you expect the fast paced sniping battles of the DS version? Probably not.

[quote=Vampiro]Plus, the current control seems to be inaccurate, as seen by the need to lock on. Also, you have to figure that, because you're dragging the screen, chances are you're bound to overshoot your target, forcing you to move the controller back over.

Wait... are you agreeing with me now?

Posted by Drewboy64

Didn't someone have an idea about fighting Ridley while falling down? Because it looks like you do that in this game.

Edit: Oh wait, that was my idea.

I'm guessing there will be some federation troops taht turn evil.

The way the aiming works is ingenious, too. People were worried about the "turn adn pick-up-the-mouse" issue, but the invisible aim/turn box solves that problem.

Quoted post: With the DS's stylus, there is friction when you move the stylus across the screen. With the Wii remote, even holding the gun still would be a difficult task, because of how difficult it is to keep your arms perfectly steady. Sure, the Wii remote will work, but can you expect the fast paced sniping battles of the DS version? Probably not.

If you steady your hand by setting it on your knee, it shouldn't be as bad. And turning down the sensitivity so it doesn't pick up on the slight shaking of your hands should fix that problem. Which is what needs to be done with Red Steel.

Quoted post: Wait... are you agreeing with me now?

No. Though mt original statement was made before I read anything about how it played, I'm not agreeing with you. All they need to do is hammer out proper controls, raise the sensitivity allowing for quick turns, but not to the point where it's so sensitive it will shake when your hand does.

Posted by GameMiestro

The problem is that if you make it very sensitive, it's difficult to hold a shot still. If you make it very little sensitive, the game won't respond to the slight movements needed to line up a perfect headshot...

...no, this isn't Hunters, but I'm just saying.

Quoted post: The problem is that if you make it very sensitive, it's difficult to hold a shot still. If you make it very little sensitive, the game won't respond to the slight movements needed to line up a perfect headshot...

... obviously.

Posted by GameMiestro

[IMG]http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/cabcdc9c40.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/84d196c425.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/71bc36a899.jpg[/IMG]
Interesting pics. Especially Ridley...

Yeah, it's an interesting Ridley fight. There's just something about falling the whole time...

Posted by GameMiestro

Clearly, Ridley is holding on to the edges of the arena... and maybe Samus could get some magnetic boots or something?

Quoted post: Clearly, Ridley is holding on to the edges of the arena...

Until you pass him and he's flying above you, while you're still free-falling.

Posted by Zeta

Wow, that looks like it takes place pretty early in the game. Will he pull a Super Metroid and flee after a while?

What a stupid baby. You think the enforcer/leader of the Space Pirates would have more of a backbone.

Posted by Zeta

Retreat is not the sign of a coward, but rather one of a great strategist/tactician.[/clicheline]

And he's got more backbone than Mother Brain. :)

Quoted post: Retreat is not the sign of a coward, but rather one of a great strategist/tactician.[/clicheline]

That's something a coward would say. But hey, he's lasted this long (er, I guess), so maybe it's not so dumb after all.

Quoted post: And he's got more backbone than Mother Brain.

too far.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Zeta]
And he's got more backbone than Mother Brain. :)

Mother Brain's second form dissagrees.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting GameMiestro: Mother Brain's second form dissagrees.

Brain's battle body is mechanical, and doesn't count.

Posted by GameMiestro

Hmm. Appearantly the X-Ray visor is in this game. Bleh.

[quote]Retro hinted at a new visor mode that lets Samus command her ship from the ground. For example, she can use the gunship uplink to blow up obstacles in her way and gain access to new areas.

Much better. They still are incapable of doing what the fans really want, but this is an improvement over the last few games...

Quoted post: Hmm. Appearantly the X-Ray visor is in this game. Bleh.

Bleh? What? That in conjunture with piercing ammo is **** win.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Vampiro]Bleh? What? That in conjunture with piercing ammo is **** win.

Powerbombs do the job all at once :).

Posted by Zeta

If it's a switch behind something you need to hit, the switch may not react to Power Bombs, or it may be out of the PB's range.

Posted by GameMiestro

Oh... well, it depends if you're talking about Fusions screen filling bombs, or certain other games rather wimpy explosions. I don't know why you would need to shoot an enemy through a wall, anyways (except on the sidescrollers, but you could actually see them in those games).

Assuming enemies have decent AI this time, it could be useful. Oh, and there will be enemies underneath the floor.

Posted by Drewboy64

I'm glad they came up wiht my free-fall boss fight idea.

They really need to make the invisible aiming window much samller and a circle, like in Zelda. The size would make fix the pick-up-the-mouse problem, but would make it easier to turn like in Halo and such.

Posted by Dexter

Any news on a multiplayer mode? I have not heard a word spoken about it. I was looking forward to it greatly with Echoes, but was terribly disappointed by it. I do think it has potential to be better, though, especially with the Wiimote.

Posted by Klarth

No multiplayer mode. HOWEVER:

IGN Wii: In Prime 3, do you lose your abilities and have to retrieve them throughout the game?

Mark Pacini: No.

This is a first.

Posted by Dexter

Wait, so you start off with all the weapons, super jump, morph ball, etc? That's wonderful news. It was really starting to get repetitive. It must be a more battle-oriented Metroid.

I imagine you still collect some items along the way, though, like missile expansions.

Posted by Zeta

They ask if she loses them during the game's intro part. Maybe she starts immediatly with no abilities. The Luminoth might've decided to be fags, and say "Okay, we're not going to take just the Light and Dark Suits back, but also everything you found on Aether."

Quoted post: This is a first.

It's happened before. Just not im Prime.

Quoted post: Wait, so you start off with all the weapons, super jump, morph ball, etc? That's wonderful news. It was really starting to get repetitive. It must be a more battle-oriented Metroid.

I imagine you still collect some items along the way, though, like missile expansions.

You collect new beams, missles and bombs. All of them stack. So no more switching. And yeah, it'll be a mix between MPH and normal Prime.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Dexter] I do think it has potential to be better, though, especially with the Wiimote.

why?

Posted by Dexter

I imagine anything multiplayer will be more enjoyable with the Wiimote than a regular controller. Players swinging their controllers turbulently would certainly add something to the multiplayer. I'm hoping for some more multiplayer games to be announced for the Wii. I've heard next to nothing for Mario Party 8, but I have high hopes for it.

Quoted post: I imagine anything multiplayer will be more enjoyable with the Wiimote than a regular controller. Players swinging their controllers turbulently would certainly add something to the multiplayer. I'm hoping for some more multiplayer games to be announced for the Wii. I've heard next to nothing for Mario Party 8, but I have high hopes for it.

Not to mention it would be wifi.

Posted by Dexter

Oh, of course. I completely forgot to mention that. I would have even given the Echoes multiplayer more game time if it was wifi.

Posted by Gamer

It seems like it's going to be really good and I'm just happy that you won't have to gain back all your weapons and the morph ball like you had to do for Prime 1 & 2. The Wii-mote is going to work very well with it and the graphics look awsome.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

[IMG]http://www.gen-n.net/dyk/media/002b.jpg[/IMG]

*Flips out.* KRAID! Perhaps a 3D version of Super Metroid?

Uh, no. He was supposed to be in the original Prime. He was obviously scrapped.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Oh. Well, um... it's still a possibility? :[

Edit: Oh. That pictures is for Metroid Prime. Oh. I see. Damn.

Posted by Drewboy64

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b49LD65JDeY
here's a video in case you haven't seen. It shows the beginning of the mission. Very awesome when the fed trooper is talking to her.

Posted by Dexter

Is anyone else worried about this game becoming too much like a generic FPS and straying away from its Prime aura? With more focus on shooting, more Space Pirates and Galactic Federation Troops, populated planet, etc.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Was just thinking the same when I heard the Galactic Fed trooper spouting crap about orbital defence turrets and such. Hopefully it's just an intro/tutorial, much like the space station in Prime.

But the 'the other hunters are here to help' line made me squeeeee.

Posted by Sascha the fat mole

GAZ

Posted by Phantom75230

Ridley has alwys been freakin awesoms so dont complain about it.
he, in my opinion, was the only challenging boss inMP1.

by the way, anyone know when MP3 comes out?

Posted by suicune

I can't wait to play this game.

I hope it's long =D

I haven't played metroid in a while, I used to be such a fan of it >_<
this may be a dumb question but... when does it come out?

Posted by Phantom75230

I dont even remember who i commented to so just ignore my last post. i dont really want to delete it so its staying up

Posted by Vbty3

Is it just me, or does Samus's suit look bulkier!?

Which? They've showed various suits, and like in other Prime games the suits have ranged from sleek to bulky.

Posted by Vbty3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b49LD65JDeY

In that video of MP3: Corruption it just looked bulkier to me.

Posted by Vbty3

The Varia suit if you want to know

Yeah, that was noticeably bulkier, but also footage from a year ago. Pretty sure they've slimmed it down since then.

Posted by Roxas23857

Yeah that is true it does look bulkier. I really hope they slimmed it down.
Sorry that this has been a while.

Posted by kissdude_44

i think the concept of ridley is overdone. first he was in metroid 1. then metroid prime 1 (i never watched my brother play echoes so i dont know if hes in prime 2) and in prime 3. then hes in super metroid and metroid fusion. at least he died forever after fusion. the x parasite destroyed his dna and samus also blew up what was left of his body. (he explodes to **** often) i also wish kraid coulda been in a prime game. he was probably the best boss evah (except the ghost boss thigy that sounds like an elephant in super metroid. that thing was cool!)

Pretty sure he was supposed to be in Prime, but they scrapped him. Plus, what's wrong with Ridley? He's a cool character and it's really no different than Ganon and Bowser when it comes to game appearances.

Posted by Colonel

12 days 'til total Corruption.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Can't wait to start playing it. I've been replaying through the original Prime game to keep my nerves incheck. I really want to try out those new Wii controls for Samus. Sure the wait and anticapation might be better than the real thing, but it's still exciting.

Anyone plan on downloading Super Metroid when it becomes available on Wii shop?

Posted by Colonel

Yes.

Posted by Roxas23857

this is my impretion (sp.) of the ring.

Seven days...

Posted by Colonel

Woot just pre-ordered Metriod Prime 3 today. 4 more days!!!!!

Posted by crelda

DARN YOU AMERICAAAAAA!!!!! I need to wait till October 26th. Stupid foreigners with there stupid foreign languages. Making us wait for the game to be translated into so many other languages I'm not going to be able to read.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Well, to them you are the foreigner.

Posted by Colonel

This game comes out tomorrow.

Imma gonna get it.

Posted by The Hate

Yay its out and I dont have a Wii. I did play it at my friend's house though. Great game.

Posted by Colonel

It's awesome.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I need 50 bucks first befor buying it. Job anyone? I ran out of pop cans.

Posted by Dexter

Got it on day one, but havn't been able to play much of it yet. Only reached the first save station. Controls work nicely.

Posted by jcezzz

I cant get past this guy, any ideas? Should I have aslready gotten the grapeling hook before I encounter him?
Sorry newbe..need help
thx

Posted by neo prime

Which boss,and where, if i may ask? And also, are you sure its the grappling beam and not the lasso?

Posted by final kaoss

Just ordered it from newegg. I have metroid prime, skipped out on prime 2. *Jacks the thread & declares it as the MP3 Corruption help thread.

You won't need help. It's waaaay more streamlined than either 1 or 2. But, also better. Everything that bogged MP2 down was completely rectified.

Posted by #061402

Just don't waste time on the last boss or you'll die from... whatever it was that could kill you and wasn't the boss.

I remember the final boss being pretty easy. At least I didn't die, but by that point I had like a billion energy tanks.

Posted by final kaoss

So how does it fair in the exploration area? Lots of backtracking involved in order to progress? A fair amount of "hidden" areas available? Does it force you to go down a predetermined path or can you freely explore and progress however you want to?

Posted by #061402

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: I remember the final boss being pretty easy. At least I didn't die, but by that point I had like a billion energy tanks.

Yeah, but I think there was some kind of environmental hazard or something that drained your health over time. Haven't played for years.

As for the exploration.. It's like the other games. Certain parts of each area are locked or otherwise inaccessible, until you find the weapon/item you need to get through the door or debris or whatever else it may be. But I think it's pretty free, yeah.

Quoted post: So how does it fair in the exploration area? Lots of backtracking involved in order to progress? A fair amount of "hidden" areas available? Does it force you to go down a predetermined path or can you freely explore and progress however you want to?

More linear than the other two games, which is arguably a better decision. You're not being shoved down a hallway but you're not exploring as much as MP2. Same thing with backtracking. It's there but not nearly as much. Like I said, it's a more refined experience. Feels more coherent and definitive.

Posted by #061402

Huh, I felt it was more open due to the fact that you could travel to other planets.

Pretty much a designated order in which to tackle the planets though. Nothing open about it. It's pretty much like Bioshock or even dead space. Linear, but feels open.

Posted by ExoXile

There was plentiful backtracking when searching for upgrades, which was awesome.

And yeah, you lose health the entire last level, Numbers and Vamp.

I actually felt there should've been more backtracking story-wise.
It's Metroid *******it.

There was more than enough backtracking.

Posted by ExoXile

Yeah, with the power-ups.
If I would've just done the story I would've been less content.

Posted by final kaoss

It finally showed up today. (begins playing, will post back later)

Posted by ExoXile

It's a sweet ride,:)

Posted by final kaoss

I agree, I've recently upgraded the "gun ship" with missiles on Bryyo. Now it's off the forest area of the planet to take down the wall. The enemies are easy as hell compared to the ones on Metroid Prime 1 but this one seems to have alot more challenges.

Posted by final kaoss

Ok, so now I'm at the part where you have to destroy 2 generators. I can get past the first one just fine but the second one has 2 flying space pirates who shove a lever back into place right after you grapple it and pull it backwards... any tips on this part?

Oh yeah, I remember this part.

Basically, just kill all the pirates in the area and yank the lever. Go to the next lever and kill the next wave of pirates. Yank that lever. Do the same for the last two.

When the pirates come in they go to you first then to the levers. So if you kill them quickly enough while they're focused on you they'll never have a chance to undo your work. Just gotta be quick.