Green Day

Posted by Yonaka

Hey guys, let's see if you like this band better. Does anyone relatively like Green Day? I do! A couple of my friends really like American Idiot. A few of my friends and I did a dance routine for the school's talent show last year. So much fun it was. But my favorite song is Boulevard of Broken Dreams. Opinions please.

Posted by Raptor

What discerning taste you and your friends have.

Thanks to radio and people like you, I abhor them.

Posted by Stalolin

Overplayed, overrated.

And Raptor gets a + 1 to Awesome for a Donnie Darko avatar.

Posted by Fate

Don't listen to their new stuff, plz. Go to Lola Ray. I'm so addicted to them right now.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

They're whiney, overrated, spoiled brats who thinks they can sing. It was thanks to them and a couple of other bands that the emo movement got started. So, no, I don't really like them.

Posted by Xqars

OK, if I say my opinion on Green Day, I don't want anyone to attack me.
I like Green Day's music, though it's getting kind of old since I've heard it so many times on the radio and at parties. When I listen to music, I don't really look into who they are often. If I like the music they perform, then I'll buy their iTunes. But if I do find their personalities are bad, I won't like as people but I'll still like their music.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting SapphireRose: They're whiney, overrated, spoiled brats who thinks they can sing. It was thanks to them and a couple of other bands that the emo movement got started. So, no, I don't really like them.

You shut your mouth and die right goddamn now.

GreenDay used to be a simple, fast, fun band. You could rely on them for agressive, pointless rock. But then emo started up, and they hoped on board. warning was the start of the downfall. American Idiot was the seal on the grave. Their change is so complete that I dont even consider them the same band.

In essence, the 14 year old morons who listen to the radio for their daily does of cool have ruined one of my favourite bands. They think that OMG GREEN DAY IS SO HARDxXxCORE AND EDGY AND ANTIGOVERNMENT RAAAAAAR. Its retarded, and it annoys the everliving **** out of me.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Eh, I've never been into the punk scene either, and I hold punk to blame for emo too. Punk + Spoiled *****es = Emo
Now, they really have changed styles yes. But their old is a style I could'nt EVER get into, and their new is some gawd awful whine or something that makes my ears bleed.

Posted by Iris

They weren't spoiled brats who went emo because their girlfriends dumped them. They were fine before, they just wanted to be part of a hip new genre, I guess. It's just the genre sucks and they've attracted a new, not so likeable crowd of people with their new music style.

Posted by Raptor

In my opinion, their finest sellout moment was "Good Riddance." That's exactly what I would have said if they had simply vanished after releasing Nimrod.

Posted by keyartist

Green day is the most sorry excuse that ever been called a band. They keep changing there image for no reason at all, they suck big time. Stellar Kart, if anyone has ever heard of them, completly blow GreenDay out of the water.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

No, they're no where NEAR the worst band ever (That title would belong to HORSE the Band), just a style I happen to hate. They have the skill, but their excecution is very, very lacking.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting SapphireRose: Eh, I've never been into the punk scene either, and I hold punk to blame for emo too. Punk + Spoiled *****es = Emo
Now, they really have changed styles yes. But their old is a style I could'nt EVER get into, and their new is some gawd awful whine or something that makes my ears bleed.

Are you ****ing serious? Punk was a joke of a movement that was founded on the very things it was supposedly rebelling against. Its shallow bloated corpse only managed to lurch into the 80s with any semblance of credibility before it imploded under its own retardation. GreenDay are not, nor were they ever, punk. Morons like you are used to hearing the term applied to bands that couldnt ever hope to have it apply to them, so I'll let it slide once. But do NOT make that mistake again.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

I simply call Green Day Punk because most people relate the two with each other. The term "Hard Rock" is too broad for people to get a general idea of what they're like if they've never heard the band. My mistake, I should have realized that VGC is more intelligent than the average bear. But their style of hard rock, and the spiled *****es who wanted to be hardcore fused, and emo/screamo was born. That is all I am saying.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Its still wrong. Green Day has nothing todo with screamo. Also, the label you're looking for is "crappy alt rock". If you're going to call Green Day anything, call them that.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Alright, and if I somehow insulted you by calling you emo in some inverted way, I apologise. I've known some whiny, stuck up *****es who listened to Green Day for their whole lives and then seemed to convert to emoisms around the same time Green Day/Good Charlotte/The Used/ any other band did. This is where I base my information off of is personal experience, not some web site or something. And I'm not claiming to know all about rock/music in general. I know stuff about some techno, metal, and classical. That's about it.

Posted by Yonaka

I wonder why you guys feel the way you do. Where do you guys live? In my town Green Day is liked by a goodly number of the townsfolk. But that's not why I like them. I like their music, and their lyrics. I think they're pretty good. And how are they whiney? I'd love to know because I just don't hear it.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Blaise: I wonder why you guys feel the way you do. Where do you guys live? In my town Green Day is liked by a goodly number of the townsfolk. But that's not why I like them. I like their music, and their lyrics. I think they're pretty good. And how are they whiney? I'd love to know because I just don't hear it.

That was a short leave of absence, Blaise.

I like(d) them.

:(

Posted by Yonaka

I haven't left yet. This is my last day here.

Posted by Klarth

"DON'T WANNA BEEE AN AMEEEERICAN IDIOT CONTROLLED BY THE MEDIA BECAUSE THE MEDIA IS BAD hey kidz support the riaa!"

Posted by Lord of Spam

Gtfo.

They have adopted a completely commercial persona. Their adaptation of such emofaggpotry items as eyeliner and such, coupled with their increasingly generic and weak "protest" lyrics lend them an image of complete pussiness.

Posted by Dexter

I do still enjoy some of their older material, or at least the material from the times when I liked them. I used to enjoy Offspring and Green Day greatly back in 1994 through about 1999. Smash by Offspring and Dookie by Green Day were my two favorite albums for a long time. I saw Green Day in concert recently and it wasn't much fun because they played their newer stuff and I barely know it. They are not much fun or interesting for me to listen to anymore.

Posted by Kiyoshi

Green Day is alright. Not one of my favorite bands, but not too bad either. I thought their song Minority was pretty funny.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Aida: I thought their song Minority was pretty funny.

Not as funny as their song "King for a Day" or their video for "Walking Contradiction."

Posted by Shade

Don't like 'em. I hear their music, and my brain says bad.

Tis the truth.

Posted by Lord of Spam

King for a Day is an awesome song. Nothing better than cross dressing GI Joes.

Posted by Kiyoshi

I haven't heard King for Day. Maybe I'll go look into it. Do they have a video for it?

Posted by s0ul

As much as I hate them, I found the song Holiday catchy until I heard it 30,000 times everywhere I went. It's not even their music I hate the most (I hate that too), it's just the feedback they get that ****es me off. Hearing something to the effect of "such a popular band taking a stand against the government is a really powerful statement" ****ed me off to no end. Big ****ing deal, it's trendy to hate politicians, what they're doing isn't original. And when people call them punk.

IN SUMMATION, it is only about 90% their fault that they suck so much.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Band sucks, songwriting sucks, guitarwork sucks, drumming sucks, lyrics suck, vocal ability sucks, bass work sucks, production on their albums suck, and they sold the hell out with that one "Time of your life" song.

in short: **** green day. listen to bad religion if you want punk.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Or both. Cuz, ya know, not everyone whacks off to music theory, you pompous douche.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Lord of Spam: you pompous douche.

Opinionated musician*

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Lord of Spam: Or both. Cuz, ya know, not everyone whacks off to music theory, you pompous douche.

:cool: you know it. Cuz you know, each time I hear theat Imaj7 - IVmaj7 - V7 - Imaj7 progression, i bust my nut like no other.

Quoting Shin-Ra: Opinionated musician*

:love: Whats up, Gar? Long time no talk

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Shin-Ra: Opinionated musician*

Same thing oll.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Lord of Spam: Same thing oll.

Ha. Exactly. :cool:

As for the subject, I work at a skate park where local "scene" bands (stupid term) play. They remind me of a mixture of Xhard/metal/whatever-core and whatever new Green Day is. Plus, on nights there aren't any bands, bands like Green Day are played constantly, so I really don't care for them too much. Plus, this isn't the type of material I would find myself searching for anyway.

Posted by Kiyoshi

I used to skate once upon a time. Then I went and broke my arm. :(

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Aida: I used to skate once upon a time. Then I went and broke my arm.

I haven't seen any broken arms yet, but I have seen 2 broken noses, quite a few fights, and a wicked seizure. I pretty much stand around and fix skate boards when I work, control the cd player when I can, and set up the skate ramps. It's not a bad job at all, I work on Fridays and Saturdays and it pays $0.75 above minimum wage. It goes perfectly with my college schedule/ plans on making or performing my own music. I can't wait until fall though, I'll have a job at the only local cd store. The manager has already guaranteed it and all. Then again, it's bad when every employee of a cd store knows you by name.

Posted by Kaise Suratu

Quoting Lord of Spam: Its still wrong. Green Day has nothing todo with screamo. Also, the label you're looking for is "crappy alt rock". If you're going to call Green Day anything, call them that.

That's the only thing on this thread I actually agree with.

Even though spoiled kids and emo are simular, it's still different, lol. Some bands (middle school/high school bands), are emo because they actually think or like the sound of emo.

Green Day... they've sold out a long time ago. If I was in their shoes I would do the same too (not that I listen to GD or anything). The better the sell-out, bigger audiance. The bigger audiance, the bigger rush, and more fun it'll be performing music in front of the majority.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting Kaise Suratu: If I was in their shoes I would do the same too (not that I listen to GD or anything). The better the sell-out, bigger audiance. The bigger audiance, the bigger rush, and more fun it'll be performing music in front of the majority.

Shut the **** up.

The only reason to be in a band is for the music. That's IT. I could not play music I did not like, nor would I sell out. I play bass, and work at a bar to support my musical needs. If I were to make it big in a band, it would be because they liked OUR sound, not because we went for the easy money. But even without a band, I just enjoy playing music. That's all there should be to it. The love of the music.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting SapphireRose:
The only reason to be in a band is for the music.

And the fame... and the sex... and the money... and the parties

Posted by Stalolin

green day is not anti-government, nor should they attempt to display this persona. Though I figure it happens to all bands, they jump on the media band wagon. =( The Dead Kennedys (Notorious for actually having relavent political opinions) sold out not too long ago and betrayed their non-corporate interests.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting SapphireRose: The only reason to be in a band is for the music. That's IT.

Ever hear of sacred music? Worship? The Pledge of Allegiance? Also, making people happy and playing music that they like seems like a respectable reason to be in a band and play music. Making money and having a good living is certainly another. I've certainly played music in the past that I don't care for simply because I needed the money and it was an enjoyable way for me to make it. It gave me an opportunity to express my dexterity, too. :cool:

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting Dexter: Ever hear of sacred music? Worship? The Pledge of Allegiance? Also, making people happy and playing music that they like seems like a respectable reason to be in a band and play music. Making money and having a good living is certainly another. I've certainly played music in the past that I don't care for simply because I needed the money and it was an enjoyable way for me to make it. Gave me an opportunity to express my dexterity, too. :cool:

Okay, touche. But I was talking about selling out. I just hate it when people do something JUST because it's popular. If you honestly like something, or think it's cool. That's fine and dandy. Just stick to your guns and don't be a sheep.

Posted by Dexter

I think Green Day actually likes what's happening to them. That's why they keep pursuing it. They seem to be enjoying themselves on stage. I doubt they are less happy than they were before Nimrod was released. They still enjoy playing music and if they wanted to they could always play a few of their older songs. The band is successful and they have a bigger audience to appreciate their work.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

I've never once said Green Day sold-out or did not like what they were doing. I was just speaking to him personally that I dislike the act of selling out, and that it's pointless and stupid.

Posted by Kiyoshi

I was in a band once. Then I had to move. :( But yeah, I want to learn how to play either the guitar or the drums. I was going to be the lead singer for our band. I'm thinking of trying out for American Idol next season, but I don't know. My favorite person got kicked off last night! Chris was awesome. :(

Posted by Lord of Spam

[quote]The Dead Kennedys (Notorious for actually having relavent political opinions) sold out not too long ago and betrayed their non-corporate interests.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo:(

I have a copy of Dookie on cassette. It is pretty much the only thing that gets played in my truck when the radio is sucking too badly. And it still kicks more *** than anything they have put out from Nimrod until now. There were one or two songs on Nimrod that I liked, but it was definately the start of them moving towards sucking.

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Lord of Spam]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo:(

I have a copy of Dookie on cassette. It is pretty much the only thing that gets played in my truck when the radio is sucking too badly. And it still kicks more *** than anything they have put out from Nimrod until now. There were one or two songs on Nimrod that I liked, but it was definately the start of them moving towards sucking..

The lead singer, Biafra, is still clinging to the anti-corporate ideals and is touring with different bands.

Though nothing they play is as good as old Dead Kennedys stuff. =(

Posted by Kaise Suratu

Quoting SapphireRose: Shut the **** up.

The only reason to be in a band is for the music. That's IT. I could not play music I did not like, nor would I sell out. I play bass, and work at a bar to support my musical needs. If I were to make it big in a band, it would be because they liked OUR sound, not because we went for the easy money. But even without a band, I just enjoy playing music. That's all there should be to it. The love of the music.

Take a chill pill man...

To sell out doesn't mean that you write music that you don't enjoy. Having an idea of what the crowd likes and what the band likes musically combined with our appearance and presentation is great. Then going up on stage through a good day, and feeding off of the 500 people jumping up and down is the best feeling you could ask for.

[
[I stole this from the website I was on earlier.]
Understand that your average (non-musician) audience will notice more than your music alone.

* In this order, people will notice:
* 1st - Your presentation - how you do what you do
* 2nd - You're appearance - what you look like
* 3rd - Your music - what you sound like
]
Yes jamming is great for practices, or if you're doing it as just a hobby. For me I take it at a different angle than you what you have Sapphire. I've always dreamed of that day where I was on stage 'selling-out' to the millions of people across America. People yelling and criticizing on how we "sold out".

Music is everything to a lot of people. To me it's more than that, and I know people say this a lot, but it's true. My life's devoted to music, and recently I haven