Diddy Kong Racing DS

Posted by Klarth

Revealed and I hope to Christ it's online.

Also, I don't know who it's being developed by. Unlikely to be Rare:(

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

It has to be online. I can't see it NOT being a Wifi game.

Glad to see they're reviving it. Sure the multiplayer lacked when compared to MK64, but the single-player was really great, and that's what I'm looking forward to in the new DKDS. Here's hoping they deliver on both excellent single-player AND superior Wifi.

Posted by Ant

During the presentation I remember seeing "Wifi compatiable" or something to that extent.

But yeah, hopefully it's something new! And not a rehash of the N64 version. Probably do what they did with MK: DS

Posted by MooJ

Quoting Klarth: Revealed and I hope to Christ it's online.

Also, I don't know who it's being developed by. Unlikely to be Rare:(

It could be. Rare still do Nintendo handheld games in between Xbox games and getting fired.

Posted by GameMiestro

I'm betting this won't be a huge seller, because quite a few gamers have not even heard of the game, and it might seem like a cheap copy of Mario Kart. Which it isn't, but time will tell.

Quoted post: because quite a few gamers have not even heard of the game

If you were old enough to play games during the 64 era, you know what Diddy Kong Racing is.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Ant: But yeah, hopefully it's something new! And not a rehash of the N64 version. Probably do what they did with MK: DS

From the screenshots, I saw Dinosaur Falls and a few other tracks from the N64 version - hopefully it's not a total port, but I would like to visit Fossil Canyon and Frosty Village again...

<3

Posted by Klarth

DKR had way more circuits than Mario Kart 64 did, and plus, most of them looked better.

Now, where's F-Zero DS?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Klarth: DKR had way more circuits than Mario Kart 64 did, and plus, most of them looked better.

I feel blasphemous for saying this...

But am I the only one who preferred Diddy Kong Racing to Mario Kart?

:(

Posted by Klarth

I prefer Mario Kart very, very marginally.

Posted by Bebop

I'm very interested about how much, if any, input Rare has to this.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Bebop: I'm very interested about how much, if any, input Rare has to this.

Rare is practically a different team now, anyway - I would be surprised if even half of their staff worked on DKR a decade ago.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting The X: I feel blasphemous for saying this...

No, I did too. Not by a whole hell of a lot. But I do like DKR more than MK.

Posted by maian

Quoting The X: I feel blasphemous for saying this...

I preferred it much, much more. I loved every minute of it. It had better tracks, better graphics, better music, better difficulty, and it was certainly harder. The adventure mode added a lot too. I loved the item system, and the multiplayer.

This will be a must-buy for me. I've noticed characters such as Tiny are in it. But, I haven't lost faith, since good ol' Tiptup is still in there.

Quoted post: From the screenshots, I saw Dinosaur Falls and a few other tracks from the N64 version - hopefully it's not a total port, but I would like to visit Fossil Canyon and Frosty Village again...

Probably a simple port with some new additions.

Posted by MooJ

It looks like Rare are developing DKR DS.

http://www.rareware.com/company/news/all_news.html

Posted by maian

"A few tantalising DKR DS info-bites to keep you going: eight-player single-card and multi-card WiFi play, touch-screen and microphone compatibility, some familiar faces in newly playable form, remodelled and retextured tracks, customisable vehicles, new modes, weapons and challenges, a little something called TT's Wish Races where you can create your very own tracks... and it doesn't end there. "

I'm liking this already.

Quoted post: a little something called TT's Wish Races where you can create your very own tracks... and it doesn't end there. "

I'll assume you can trade those over Wifi and be very pleased with it.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Vampiro]I'll assume you can trade those over Wifi and be very pleased with it.

woah

They'll have a heck of a time implementing that. If AW:DS couldn't hold more than 3 custom maps, they'll have to make some big technological jumps to make this work.

Oh yeah :(

Posted by Arcadios

diddy kong racing was the first n64 game I owned it will bring back so many memories.

Posted by Klarth

The rom of AW: Dual Strike is only 8 megabytes, I believe - The biggest available size for DS games is 32 megs. There's hope.

Posted by muffla

i personally thought the first one sucked

id rather see ssb ds

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting muffla: i personally thought the first one sucked

... Wait, were we playing the same game?

Posted by maian

I'm more excited for this game than I can say. Diddy Kong Racing was so much better than Mario Kart ever was, and had so much more to offer. This one looks great, and I'm sure to buy it ASAP.

Discuss.

Apparently it's not that great.

Posted by Shade

Is it basically a MK copy?

Posted by Dexter

It's more of a Diddy Kong Racing copyport, with additional tracks, levels, music, etc. I'm curious about it, but there's no way I'll like it more than the Diddy on 64.

Posted by Zeta

Lack of Banjo and Conker makes me sad. :(

CURSE YOU MICROSOFT!

But now we have Tiny and Dixie!!

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: But now we have Tiny and Dixie!!

Yay.

Why Tiny AND Dixie though. Why not DK himself or some other DK character Rare made, rather than these 2 which are basically the same character. Get Lanky on board!

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: But now we have Tiny and Dixie!!

Not a cool trade. :(

Posted by Zeta

They should've put K.Rool and Squawks in instead. :mad:

Posted by maian

Tiptup stays, I don't complain.

Admit it, Diddy Kong Racing would not be cool without Tiptup.

Posted by Zeta

I never cared for Tiptup. >_>

*Raises shield*

Posted by Shade

I don't care about this game. As I se it, I have no reason to get it as long as I have Mario Kart.

Posted by Zeta

Well, this is replacing Mario Kart for me if it doesn't have anything akin to snaking.

Posted by Shade

If there's no snaking, how are you gonna get the edge on the people who snake?

Answer me that, hm?

Posted by Zeta

What edge will there be to get if the snakers can't snake?

Posted by maian

Mario Kart DS was so dull to me. There just wasn't enough to it. I think Diddy Kong Racing will be able to deliver.

Quoted post: Admit it, Diddy Kong Racing would not be cool without Tiptup.

It's not cool. Period. It's a bad game.

Posted by maian

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: It's not cool. Period. It's a bad game.

stfu jerk

DKR > MK64.

And DKR doesn't have blue shells. Those plagued recent MKs. :(

Not saying Mario Kart is "better," DKR just sucks.

Posted by Zeta

Nah, Blue Shells aren't too bad. You can dodge'em, as well as red shells, if you do a power slide boost at the right time. :)

Posted by maian

yeah well, DKR is still superior and all. I liked the items system so much better. If you wanted something good, you had to work for it, instead of getting into latter places and owning everyone with lightning, etc. And, if you're in the lead, you're not left with crap like bananas every time. The four different items are constant, so I liked it.

...I dunno..I liked DKR :(

Posted by D.J Cat

Calling DKR bad is spamming.
I see nothing has changed here.

Anyway, onto the point, this game ha spotential.

But as Dex said, it won't beat playing the N64 game.
No snaking i so much of a better thing.
Plus there is still advanced tactics without being...well, lame.
The old let og of the acceleration before boosting.
Sliding skillfully.
And more!

Posted by Klarth

k so I've been playing this a bit today.

Four characters are locked - I'm guessing Drumstick and TT are two, but the others...? Who knows. Also Banjo and Conker seem to be missing. Replaced with Dixie and Tiny Kong. Voice acting for the characters is a little weird.

A few things are different in Adventure - There's a neat little intro movie thing (not fmv), and I'm assuming it doesn't change no matter what character you choose.

There are loading screens, no matter how odd that might seem for a DS game. However, they only seem to stick around for a second; usually less.

Taj has a tent where he used to only have an emblem.

As for the race mechanics - Largely the same, with a few new weapons and an odd little boost feature involving the touchscreen.

Not just a port; more than a remake... Can't wait until Wifi is up for this title. :)

Posted by maian

wait

It's out?!

I need to get, ASAP. :O It looks so rad.

Posted by Klarth

Actually, it isn't out yet. :)

Posted by maian

stfu >=O

k, two days, apparently. I can't wait. I watched some videos on IGN, and I'm psyched.

LOL SPOILERS:

The two new secret characters are Wizpig and Taj ;|

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

AIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :D

Sorry to wreck the party dudes, but I had to say goodbye!

Posted by Shade

Um...

What?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I was expressing excitement, and then promptly quoting the might Wizpig when he infiltrates the DKR faux-end party.

Posted by Shade

Brilliant.

Posted by muffla

so its this a rent buy or pass?

Posted by Klarth

If you've played the original and love it, it's definitely a buy.

If you haven't played it - I still recommend it. I prefer it to Mario Kart so far.

Posted by Shade

But does it have online?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Shade32: But does it have online?

Yes.

Game sucks. Not even a rental.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Definitely not a fan of the first, so I probably won't be picking this up. But I may just try it out for the hell of it.

Posted by Skitzo Control

Man, DKR rocked so much harder than MK64. If I were to buy a DS, it'd be for this game.

It's not as good as people remember it. It's like Perfect Dark.

Posted by Skitzo Control

I still play it on N64, and it's still great.

Also, PD is just as good as I remember it. So is OoT and Mario 64 and Goldeneye. The only game that is not as good as I remember it Banjo Kazooie.:p:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=delusional

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=nostalgia

take yer pick.

Posted by Bebop

DKR wasnt as good as Mario Kart. DKR's multi was awful.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Bebop: DKR wasnt as good as Mario Kart. DKR's multi was awful.

True, but for most people, Singleplayer time > Multiplayer time.

And Skitzo is correct. Banjo Kazooie has too much nostalgiasemen on it.

Posted by maian

THIS GAME BECOMES SLIGHTLY LESS FUN WHEN BOTH YOUR BLOODY SHOULDER BUTTONS ARE BROKEN.

Posted by Skitzo Control

I think every game on the planet becomes slightly less fun (or other varying degrees of less fun) when certain buttons your controller(s)/handheld don't work.

Posted by maian

Well, it's a good game, needless to say. However, I still haven't used a bloody item. :mad:

Nonetheless, I still love it. But yes, not being able to use your L button puts a damper on things. Taj's voice change is ridiculous, but a lot more has been worked into this than I expected. I'm thoroughly disappointed that the Silver Coin Challenge was replaced by the pathetically easy "balloon touch", even though Silver Coin Challenge is still there, but optional. I like the idea of being able to upgrade your vehicles, although it sometimes gives too much of an advantage. I have yet to try out the super items, because, no L button. ;|

Anyway, I do love it. I plan to buy the four new tracks soon, and see what I can do to unlock the secret characters. Unfortunately, I can't get the Dino Domain key because you need a boost. ;| But once I beat the trophy races, it's off to Space with me.

Posted by Zeta

Mash your shoulder buttons about a million times to see if they start working again. Works for me. :cookie:

Posted by maian

In game or out of game? :(

Anyway, I have. I can get R to work most of the time, but that fails because R is mostly useless in this game, save for plane veering and hovercraft hopping.

Posted by Flounder

Quoting maian: In game or out of game? :(

Anyway, I have. I can get R to work most of the time, but that fails because R is mostly useless in this game, save for plane veering and hovercraft hopping.

try playing while the ds is being charged. multiple friends have had the exact problem and that seemed to have worked for them. it might be worth trying

Posted by junior senior

just do a light tap, I haven't even used mine yet and I've had my new baby for almost a month now. I don't even play Mario Kart anymore. :(

Posted by maian

Well, I'm not taking any advice on how hard or light to tap it, to tap it multiple times, etc. ;| All subjects in L-button tapping have been thoroughly explored on all degrees. I'll try that charging thing.

For the time being, I've been using my cousin's. DKRDS is quite a splendid game when it works!

Turns out: It sucks. Go figure.

Posted by maian

Lies. Reviews weren't so great, but I like it. :(

It's a good game if you liked the original. If

A) You haven't played the original

B) Are trying to compare it to Mario Kart

it might suck.

I've played the original and it still sucks.

Posted by Ant

Do you ever stop?

that's what your girlfriend said.

oh wai- lol

k, I'll stop.

Posted by Klarth

Final Fantasy 7 is bad

Posted by Klarth

FFVII really sucks.

Posted by Klarth

Guys Final Fantasy VII is the worst game I've ever played.

See how annoying it can get?

Posted by Shade

Posted by Shade

double post

Posted by Shade

triple post

Posted by Shade

SEE HOW ANNOYING I CAN BE lol gimme attention

Posted by Bebop

Halo 2 sucks :3

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Just because Klarth spams a topic doesn't mean y'all have to. :mad: