Controller Speaker?

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

http://www.revo-europe.com/news.php?nid=9103

Speedy's dimissing this as bunk, but I was thinking.... imagine how much more realistic a gunshot is if it actually comes from the general direction of the gun. The sound of swords clashing together. The sound of hitting a golfball.

Discuss.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I hope it's a little more high-tech than a simple DS speaker. They're better than GBA speakers, but still a tad on the tinny side.

Besides, there's still the flap on the system itself which is supposed to contain a massive secret. A DS card slot? A 3D projector? A piece of alien technology that will render all sony products inoperative once enough of them are activated around the world? Not that sony products don't render themselves inoperative often enough, but for all of them to shut down at the same time would be a lovely sight to behold.

I'm not bothered about the quality if it's only doing simple sound effects like clangs and gunshots. I'm more bothered about it making the controller heavier.

Get yourself a 14 lb. sword and train with it every day. Else you shall perish before my awesome might in dueling games.

Fair enough. But the point is that games are games, and anything that makes them more of a chore is self-defeatist.

I guess that moving the controller fits under that category too, though, so eh.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Surround sound/headphones.

Speakers in the controller would be useless for me.

Man, I told you.

Better be ****ing muteable.

And sound really good. I don't want cheap speakers.

Posted by Ant

Seems like the best presentation of that was during the Zelda Demo. And I thought that was pretty neat :)

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Prince Shondronai:
Besides, there's still the flap on the system itself which is supposed to contain a massive secret. A DS card slot? A 3D projector? A piece of alien technology that will render all sony products inoperative once enough of them are activated around the world?

Wait, what flap? Show me the flap!

http://www.planetgamecube.com/media.cfm?artid=2533&MedTID=1&medtndx=22057

Just to the left of the glowy blue disc slot. Media dudes asked about it and Nintendo said the likes of "...Well that's the Revolution right there..."

On the left-hand side. you know it.

Quoted post: Just to the left of the glowy blue disc slot. Media dudes asked about it and Nintendo said the likes of "...Well that's the Revolution right there..."

Figures they save it for some later date...

I was under the impression that they said they'd reveal everything about Wii at E3.

That's what I thought too. Guess not :cookie:

Posted by sniper

I was under the impression that it is a Gamecube disc slot.

Posted by Klarth

Nope. Another revolutionary thing is that it's the first self-loading bay that takes two different disc sizes.

Posted by No-Mad

Has it been confirmed that he slot is for SD cards.

On topic, I think the speaker in the controller is a great idea. If the sound quality is good enough, the speaker can be used for the fairy in zelda games, characters voices in Rpg's, sounds of swords clashing or whatever, something in music based games, as well as the sounds of bullets in first person shooters. A lot of possibilities.

Yay, I'm Back

Btw, if all of this was said in that link yo posted, I didn't read it.

Quoted post: If the sound quality is good enough

It's supposedly the quality of a DS speaker.

Quoted post: Has it been confirmed that he slot is for SD cards.

That's what I thought it was, but Nintendo is tight-lipped about something that is well known. So it must be something else I guess.

Posted by Linko_16

A controller speaker would be cool, I guess. Not that great, but sort of interesting.

It's definitely happening, Linko. Not only that, but apparently it's awesome. The examples I've seen so far are the obvious gunshot sounds in Red Steel and the reel of the fishing rod in Zelda.

But think what it could do for multiplayer. In wario Ware, for example - one mini-game, four different ways of completing it, and your controller tells you which one. Your three mates all have different ways to do it. Et cetera.

Posted by ExoXile

In the end:
-It's bloody brilliant! :D

Posted by Arczu

Sounds cool. I would like to hear the sound being projected like that. Imagine if you hand surround? From the left to the center to the right etc... it's awesomeness.

Posted by lameboyadvance

Think they'll have a headphone connector in the Wii remote? ;)

Posted by ExoXile

Why?
What would be the point in that?

The reason they have that speaker is because it's supposed to "Add" sound.
Not be sound.

Posted by lameboyadvance

Hope theres an opton to turn it off. I use headphones and the last thing I need is my controller randomly 'shooting' out loud.

...I wonder how long before someone makes an iPod hack/mod. ;)

Quoted post: and the reel of the fishing rod in Zelda.

Bow is cooler. Something about hearing the bow cracking and the thwip of the arrow travelling from the controller to the screen is pretty **** cool.

Posted by ExoXile

Indeed so!

Posted by TendoAddict

Speaker for the win.

With rumble and sound its gonna make the game feel more authentic.

Think of it, Swing a sword, Hear the cling, feel the landing.

How much closer to the real thing can you get?

Quoted post: How much closer to the real thing can you get?

The real thing or virtual reality.

Or all of that with better graphics.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting TendoAddict:
How much closer to the real thing can you get?

By doing it in the real, of coz. -_-'

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro:

If sony keeps stealing all of nintendos ideas then this might come true :-D

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Vampiro: The real thing or virtual reality.

Playing = Believing.

:cool: