Antivirus software RETARDED?

Posted by Proto Man

This is a quote from [URL="http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=13251"]this[/URL] thread.

Quoting Klarth: Antivirus software is for retards.

If that's not a retarded statement, I don't know what is...

Posted by Xenos

Hm, maybe he was joking?

Posted by Klarth

Nope. You have to be an utter moron to get a virus, and even more of a moron to not look up how to remove it yourself.

edit: also, I voted for the wrong option on the poll!

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Klarth:
edit: also, I voted for the wrong option on the poll!

Lol, why?

Posted by Klarth

Because I am a retard. Thus, I have experience enough to judge whether or not something is retarded.

Posted by Dexter

Klarth, you're such a joker. Extra protection is a good idea and it seems easier than removing them yourself. I, for one, do not know how to remove them myself. I probably wouldn't even know I had them until the damage was noticeable or something.

I think I'll move this thread into the computer forum.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

To be honest, I've had my current computer for almost one year, and never contracted a virus - all the while never having used AntiVirus protection. Unless it's a particularly advanced or sneaky exploit, I doubt I'd unwittingly contract one.

On the other hand, if you do want reliable, free AntiVirus, though check out avast!

:cool:

Posted by Dexter

How could I find out if I contracted a virus ? I've had this computer for a long time now and I don't believe I do, but just out of curiosity, how would I check for sure? I could have some little minor ones roaming around without me knowing.

Posted by GameMiestro

"You know whats for retards as well? Passwords. I mean, only a total retard would possibly have their computer attacked by someone else. We shouldn't use spam blockers, either, as only a retard would get spam..."

You see what I'm saying?

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Klarth: Because I am a retard. Thus, I have experience enough to judge whether or not something is retarded.

From a retarded point of view, that may be true, but thinking rationally, one would have a different opinion.

Quoted post: Nope. You have to be an utter moron to get a virus, and even more of a moron to not look up how to remove it yourself.

Really? Some viruses can render your computer inoperable or make you lose important files BEFORE you notice anything. For example, it could send itself to several other computers in the background, and then corrupt your hard drive in about a second, before you can react. And, Antivirus programs also stop things like worms and trojans and programs that can be used to control your computer, most of which you can get without actually voluntarily downloading anything.

Quoted post: You see what I'm saying?

Yep, I agree. The US shouldn't put any security on their nuclear weapons either. Only a total retard could possibly have their nuclear weapons stolen from their bases by terrorists. The terrorists, you know, do an IQ test on you before they decide to steal your nukes. Viruses do that too, I hear.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Dexter]
How could I find out if I contracted a virus ? I've had this computer for a long time now and I don't believe I do, but just out of curiosity, how would I check for sure? I could have some little minor ones roaming around without me knowing.
If you're happy using your PC the way it is and you're not hellbent on optimising it in every way possible, then if you don't realise you have a virus chances are it isn't doing much. Simple solution is to reinstall Windows once every three months, or dare I say, use a [url=www.ubuntu.com]much better operating system altogether[/url].

[quote=GameMiestro]
"You know whats for retards as well? Passwords. I mean, only a total retard would possibly have their computer attacked by someone else. We shouldn't use spam blockers, either, as only a retard would get spam..."
Problem is, that's not quite accurate, seeing as a normal internet user in this day and age has to actively do something stupid to contract a virus. Passwords are there for privacy protection that you can't get in any other easily-implementable way, whereas antivirus software is for people who can't be bothered to protect themselves.

[quote=higbvuyb]
From a retarded point of view, that may be true, but thinking rationally, one would have a different opinion.
Actually, that was the one point in this thread where I was actually kidding. I probably should've tacked a cookie monster onto the end of that.

[quote]
Really? Some viruses can render your computer inoperable or make you lose important files BEFORE you notice anything. For example, it could send itself to several other computers in the background, and then corrupt your hard drive in about a second, before you can react. And, Antivirus programs also stop things like worms and trojans and programs that can be used to control your computer, most of which you can get without actually voluntarily downloading anything.
The solution is to back your important shit up. Also, who says you can't take prevention measures before getting online without any use of antivirus software whatsoever?

[quote]Yep, I agree. The US shouldn't put any security on their nuclear weapons either.
See, now you're pointlessly blowing it out of proportion. A normal user's hard drive is infinitesimally less important than matters of national security. As a result, I hereby declare you full of shit.

Also, it's ceaselessly funny that the group of people widely regarded as VGC's retards are the ones who voted that antivirus software is useful.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Klarth]
Also, it's ceaselessly funny that the group of people widely regarded as VGC's retards are the ones who voted that antivirus software is useful.

You voted that it was useful... :P

Posted by Klarth

See above point, moron.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Klarth]See above point, moron.

I saw it. And I'm still using it against you, because it's amusing. You've called someone a moron or retard in every post you've made in this thread, yet are obviously failing at changing that. Clearly, you're fitting the defenition of "stupidity"...

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Klarth: If you're happy using your PC the way it is and you're not hellbent on optimising it in every way possible, then if you don't realise you have a virus chances are it isn't doing much. Simple solution is to reinstall Windows once every three months.

Good grief, who wants to do that? Plus even more likely, the chances are if you don't realize that you have a virus, it is sitting dormant, and will eventually trigger and mess your computer up. Viruses do that you know!

Quoted post: Problem is, that's not quite accurate, seeing as a normal internet user in this day and age has to actively do something stupid to contract a virus. Passwords are there for privacy protection that you can't get in any other easily-implementable way, whereas antivirus software is for people who can't be bothered to protect themselves.

Can't be bothered to protect themselves? Do you even know what your saying??? HAVING ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE IS PROTECTING THEMSELVES! Plus there are always accidents. The average internet user isn't going to be super cognisant, and just might click on the wrong link.

[QUOTE]The solution is to back your important shit up. Also, who says you can't take prevention measures before getting online without any use of antivirus software whatsoever?

You do have a point there. It is important to back up your stuff.

[Quote]Also, it's ceaselessly funny that the group of people widely regarded as VGC's retards are the ones who voted that antivirus software is useful.

Xenos is a retard? Anyhow either way excluding your vote, the poll is 5 to 2. :p

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Protoman]Good grief, who wants to do that?
Me. Reinstalling windows keeps the ****ty operating system from breaking down - Before my most recent reinstall, Photoshop CS2 took nine minutes to get started (athlon xp, 192mb ram). Now it takes forty seconds.

[quote]Plus even more likely, the chances are if you don't realize that you have a virus, it is sitting dormant, and will eventually trigger and mess your computer up. Viruses do that you know!
Then take prevention measures like not clicking stupid crap and (to a certain degree) immunising your computer.

[quote]Can't be bothered to protect themselves? Do you even know what your saying??? HAVING ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE IS PROTECTING THEMSELVES!
Antivirus software does the protecting for them, thus saving them effort and bleeding them of money.

[quote]Plus there are always accidents. The average internet user isn't going to be super cognisant, and just might click on the wrong link.
The average internet user is effectively retarded, as I'm sure you know. Hence, they should use antivirus software.

[quote]
Xenos is a retard? Anyhow either way excluding your vote, the poll is 5 to 2. :p
She hadn't voted when I posted. Also, if you include my vote in the correct place (which you seem to have mysteriously neglected to do), it's 5-3.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Klarth: If you're happy using your PC the way it is and you're not hellbent on optimising it in every way possible, then if you don't realise you have a virus chances are it isn't doing much. Simple solution is to reinstall Windows once every three months, or dare I say, use a [url=www.ubuntu.com]much better operating system altogether[/url].
Except that Linux doesn't run WIndows programs unless you run an emulator and IIRC you need the WIndows APIs anyway.

Quoted post: Problem is, that's not quite accurate, seeing as a normal internet user in this day and age has to actively do something stupid to contract a virus. Passwords are there for privacy protection that you can't get in any other easily-implementable way, whereas antivirus software is for people who can't be bothered to protect themselves.

Do you know what worms are? Did you knwo that you don't need to actively try to get a worm? Did you know that antivirus programs protect against worms?

[QUOTE]Actually, that was the one point in this thread where I was actually kidding. I probably should've tacked a cookie monster onto the end of that.

I knew that you were joking. It wasn't very funny, either.

Quoted post: The solution is to back your important shit up. Also, who says you can't take prevention measures before getting online without any use of antivirus software whatsoever?

Well, it is difficult to have your important data backed up to its most recent version 100% of the time, unless you back up after every time you save a document.

Quoted post: See, now you're pointlessly blowing it out of proportion. A normal user's hard drive is infinitesimally less important than matters of national security. As a result, I hereby declare you full of shit.

It is ood how you yourself expect others to realise when you are not being serious, yet you dp not realise when others are not being serious themselves. I was extending what the quoted user said, and he was obviously not beign serious.

[quote]Also, it's ceaselessly funny that the group of people widely regarded as VGC's retards are the ones who voted that antivirus software is useful.
No, not really. (I'm assuming that you do not count yourself to e part of this group, becuase you're rrogant and think you're intelligent) I've found Protoman to be more intelligent than you in some threads, including this. Xeons isn't retarded either. Also, popular opinion is not the truth, it often varies widely from it.

Think of it like this: A safe driver will not need a seat belt almost all the time, because he is a safe driver. Therefore, some may be led to believe that the seat belt is a waste of time and money, becuase there is no use for it. However, in the event that there is an accident, or someone else crashes into him, he will be safer wearing a seat belt.

Similarly, a knowledgable computer user will not need an antivirus program most of the time. However, if someone else uses the computer and gets a virus onto it, a friend gives them a disk with a virus on it, or they just make a mistake, antivirus software will be very helpful.

Quoted post: Me. Reinstalling windows keeps the ****ty operating system from breaking down - Before my most recent reinstall, Photoshop CS2 took nine minutes to get started (athlon xp, 192mb ram). Now it takes forty seconds.

That sort of thing does not happen on my computer to such a degree, so it must be due to the way you use your computer.

Quoted post: Antivirus software does the protecting for them, thus saving them effort and bleeding them of money.

That's probably why I use a free antivirus program.

Quoted post: The average internet user is effectively retarded, as I'm sure you know. Hence, they should use antivirus software.

Incorrect. The average internet user is ignorant, rather than retarded. Anyway, its still possible that a knowledgable user can get a virus, especially if a genuine P2P file has somehow become infected.

Quoted post: If you're happy using your PC the way it is and you're not hellbent on optimising it in every way possible, then if you don't realise you have a virus chances are it isn't doing much. Simple solution is to reinstall Windows once every three months.

Incorrect. It only takes a few seconds at most for a virus to send it to several people, and corrupt important parts of your hard disk, too fast for you to notice it. Klarth, say a virus gets onto your computer. Can you get rid of it in three seconds, manually? An antivirus program automates virus protection to a level unachievable by a normal human. Its like a robotic factory, rather than a production line filled with humans. Its faster, and more effective.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=higbvuyb]Except that Linux doesn't run WIndows programs unless you run an emulator and IIRC you need the WIndows APIs anyway.
Wine isn't an emulator, and you don't need the Windows APIs.

[quote]Do you know what worms are? Did you knwo that you don't need to actively try to get a worm? Did you know that antivirus programs protect against worms?
Yep. However, I've seen firms producing AV software offering quickfix removal solutions which don't require the software in question.

[quote]Well, it is difficult to have your important data backed up to its most recent version 100% of the time, unless you back up after every time you save a document.
I keep any really important stuff on burned DVDs or my external HDD. I know that not everyone can do so, but it's wise to back things up in any way you can.

[quote]you're rrogant and think you're intelligent
I have no need to be arrogant, considering that I'm already in a place of power. Condescending, perhaps, but not arrogant. Also, pot to kettle: you're black.

[quote]Think of it like this: A safe driver will not need a seat belt almost all the time, because he is a safe driver. Therefore, some may be led to believe that the seat belt is a waste of time and money, becuase there is no use for it. However, in the event that there is an accident, or someone else crashes into him, he will be safer wearing a seat belt.
It's a decent analogy, but I'd like to see a circumstance where you can take measures against injury in the event of a crash which don't require a seatbelt. Also, cars are manufactured with seatbelts present - if Windows released their operating systems with builtin antivirus, then I'd have no real problem and that'd be the end of it.

[quote]However, if someone else uses the computer and gets a virus onto it, a friend gives them a disk with a virus on it, or they just make a mistake, antivirus software will be very helpful.
Heh. Solution: Treasure your computer like you would your child. I don't let anyone use mine.

[quote]That's probably why I use a free antivirus program.
Hmm. Source?

[quote]Incorrect. The average internet user is ignorant, rather than retarded. Anyway, its still possible that a knowledgable user can get a virus, especially if a genuine P2P file has somehow become infected.
In circumstances in which a large amount of users are all receiving an identical file, once one becomes infected with a virus, he should theoretically alert the others and tell them to bugger off - That's where the wonderful world of bittorrent trackers comes in.

[quote]Incorrect. It only takes a few seconds at most for a virus to send it to several people, and corrupt important parts of your hard disk, too fast for you to notice it.
My personal solution is a good bout of backing up and reinstalling Windows. It works, and my computer's better than ever afterwards (note that I've only ever had to reinstall due to a hard drive ****up once, though - that was three or four years ago, and I've since acquired external storage space for backups.)

[quote]Klarth, say a virus gets onto your computer. Can you get rid of it in three seconds, manually? An antivirus program automates virus protection to a level unachievable by a normal human. Its like a robotic factory, rather than a production line filled with humans. Its faster, and more effective.
I'll concede that this is in fact a genuine advantage of antivirus software. I'm simply on the side of those who don't feel a need to use it. Although this may sound extremely farfetched, I believe I'm an extremely lucky person and I'm immune to many bad things. I'm serious.

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Klarth: Wine isn't an emulator, and you don't need the Windows APIs.
True, however, I can't be bothered changing to Linux, because Windows is good enough and Linux still is incompatible with many things.

Quoted post: Yep. However, I've seen firms producing AV software offering quickfix removal solutions which don't require the software in question.

However, that's still a type of antivirus software.

[QUOTE]I keep any really important stuff on burned DVDs or my external HDD. I know that not everyone can do so, but it's wise to back things up in any way you can.

Yes, not everyone can do so. ALso, external hard drives can also be affected by viruses.

Quoted post: I have no need to be arrogant, considering that I'm already in a place of power. Condescending, perhaps, but not arrogant. Also, pot to kettle: you're black.

False.

Quoted post: It's a decent analogy, but I'd like to see a circumstance where you can take measures against injury in the event of a crash which don't require a seatbelt. Also, cars are manufactured with seatbelts present - if Windows released their operating systems with builtin antivirus, then I'd have no real problem and that'd be the end of it.

Quoted post: Heh. Solution: Treasure your computer like you would your child. I don't let anyone use mine.

Sometimes, that is not possible.

Quoted post: Hmm. Source?

Source? I siad, I use a free antivirus program. I don't need a source to tell you that.

Quoted post: In circumstances in which a large amount of users are all receiving an identical file, once one becomes infected with a virus, he should theoretically alert the others and tell them to bugger off - That's where the wonderful world of bittorrent trackers comes in.

However, this may not happen. Also, since according to you, most users are ignorant, many people could download this and not realise that they did/what to do.

Quoted post: My personal solution is a good bout of backing up and reinstalling Windows. It works, and my computer's better than ever afterwards (note that I've only ever had to reinstall due to a hard drive ****up once, though - that was three or four years ago, and I've since acquired external storage space for backups.)

That's your solution.

[quote]I'll concede that this is in fact a genuine advantage of antivirus software. I'm simply on the side of those who don't feel a need to use it. Although this may sound extremely farfetched, I believe I'm an extremely lucky person and I'm immune to many bad things. I'm serious.
I don't really need to use one either, in normal circumstances, but it's better to have one than not. Unless you're using a Mac. THen, you're retarded anyway.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=higbvuyb]
Source? I siad, I use a free antivirus program. I don't need a source to tell you that.
No, I mean, what software?

[quote]Sometimes, that is not possible.
I appreciate that, but it's more than good enough for me considering I live on campus and never let anyone touch my machine anyway.

[quote]That's your solution.
Yes, precisely. I'm sure I'm not the only one, and more people should try this anyway.

[quote]I don't really need to use one either, in normal circumstances, but it's better to have one than not. Unless you're using a Mac. THen, you're retarded anyway.
MY COMPUTER IS SHINY AND WHITE, THUS IT IS IMMUNE

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Yes, precisely. I'm sure I'm not the only one, and more people should try this anyway.

That's what I do :cookie:

Posted by higbvuyb

Quoting Klarth: No, I mean, what software?
AVG Free Edition
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Anyway, do you use Linux yourself?

Quoted post: I appreciate that, but it's more than good enough for me considering I live on campus and never let anyone touch my machine anyway.

Yes, but it is different for others.

[QUOTE]Yes, precisely. I'm sure I'm not the only one, and more people should try this anyway.

I do reinstall Windows every now and then, however, it doesn't really degrade much. Most people, however, should actually do that, and a lot more often, with the average user unknowingly having several dozen pieces of spyware and adware on their computer. Or, they could use Firefox.

[quote]MY COMPUTER IS SHINY AND WHITE, THUS IT IS IMMUNE
However, I doubt that you use a Mac, because you aren't actually stupid, like the fools who can't handle more than one mouse button at once.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=higbvuyb]Anyway, do you use Linux yourself?
Yes, actually. I used DSL for most of April, and my laptop dual-boots XP and Ubuntu right now.

[quote]I do reinstall Windows every now and then, however, it doesn't really degrade much. Most people, however, should actually do that, and a lot more often, with the average user unknowingly having several dozen pieces of spyware and adware on their computer. Or, they could use Firefox.
Indeed. I've hooked up more people with Firefox, Adaware and Spybot S&D than I care to remember.

Posted by Sk2k52

Woops voted for its not retarded statement.

Thatpoll name and topic name confused me.

BTW I don't use antivirus software, since i casually reformat my computer ever few months, keeps it from geting too slow.

Sometimes I do use a free virus scan thoguh when i go without reformatting for a prolonged period for whatever reason. Just to be extra safe.