Rumour: "Free Wii"

Posted by Klarth

[url=http://wii.qj.net/Do-You-Want-A-Free-Wii-/pg/49/aid/34905#comments]From QJ.net[/url]

[quote]The operative term here is "Free Wii". Who doesn't want a new and free gaming console, right? Too bad for you (or us), this is just one of the many rumors surrounding the controversially-named Ninty gaming console.

Apparently, a tipster (we don't know if he/ she is reliable though) claimed that the Nintendo Wii will have a tempting package deal, an offer we can't refuse: the Wii will be free with the purchase of four Wii Games, or a purchase of three Wii Games and a Controller (w/ nunchuck attachment). The said tipster also said that the bundle will sell for about $199.

Of course, just like your usual, garden-variety rumor, this has no official backing. Then again, maybe the Nintendo people are brewing up an unconventional purchase option. Because if this rumor happens to be the real deal, many people would buy their games in fours to get another console to give away or sell. These extra consoles will generate software sales and Nintendo could seriously own the market. So with that, we can't really disregard such backfence talk. But I don't think we'd have to wait long to know what the real score is. Let us just hope (and hope really hard) that there is a tinge of truth in this rumor.
It could be a seriously good idea for Nintendo to do this - We already know the console's not gonna cost as much as its competitors, so...

Wait and see, I guess.

Posted by Speedfreak

I seriously doubt it. I'd end up with 3 consoles on launch day, otherwise.

Posted by TendoAddict

That would be insane. I would wet myself.

But alas, sounds to good to be true.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Speedfreak: I seriously doubt it. I'd end up with 3 consoles on launch day, otherwise.

Two of which you would sell. This means that you not only have more money to buy games, but that there are now two more people with Wiis but no games who need to go buy some.

Awesome idea. It'll be interesting to see if it works, assuming its real.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Lord of Spam: Two of which you would sell. This means that you not only have more money to buy games, but that there are now two more people with Wiis but no games who need to go buy some.
Yeah, then they go buy 3 games, get another free console, sell that one, the cycle continues.

If that was the case virtually no one would buy just the console. This seems like an absurd concept.

Posted by GameMiestro

What they're really saying is that the Wii costs very little to make, and they'll profit by overpricing the games. Still, four games, a console, and a controller for $199 is fairly cheap... a lot cheaper than the 360.

Posted by Last Fog

$199 for four games isnt overpriced at all.. $50 is what an average game costs this generation, so basically, the console really is completely free. Which seems ridiculous.

Posted by GameMiestro

Thats what I'm saying. The games are overpriced, but even with that, this is a very good bargain.

Posted by protomanv4

Quoting GameMiestro: Thats what I'm saying. The games are overpriced, but even with that, this is a very good bargain.

I think the Wii's games wont be overpriced because somewhere in cheatcc.com it says that the Wii's games will be cheper than ps3 and xbox360.

Posted by Ant

Too good to be true. Not gonna happen.

Posted by Dexter

I agree with Ant. Also, I don't think this is a smart choice for Nintendo. I think they have a big enough fan group and there are lots of people who don't even like Nintendo that are already interested in trying the system out. It really doesn't seem necessary to do something like this. The price is already excellent.

Posted by shep

could someone clue this noobie in. why is it called Wii? and not revolution.

Posted by Dreadnought

Hah, I read this as 'Free Willy' and lol'd.

Disappointing.