KH2's "Proud Mode"

Posted by Arczu

I really wondered if I should go through standard, but then as I watched my brother play it, I NEVER saw him or any of his party members getting KO'ed. So I went straight to proud mode... and boy was I sorry.

47 deaths later, I grasp the skills good enough so that I would not perish so darn easily. But come the Hades Cups, dear sh** I'm screwed. Level 80 and it takes about 5 seconds to get KOed if I don't play the cards right. (those darn berserkers don't help either with that stupid Sword stomping combo they constantly do.)

Anyway... I for one can assume that anyone who said that completing the game 100% on proud mode was easy, can bend over as they watch me kick their grass. I have NOT done it either (and by the looks of things, won't be for quite awhile). It a very rough start just like the first game, but this time, it looks like a rough end too.

Then there's Sephy... hell no. I think the mode forces you to think more. What do you think?

Posted by Linko_16

I doubt I'll ever bother with proud mode, but props to those who can brave it.

Posted by Ant

Eh, so far I don't really think it's that hard.

Posted by Arczu

No, once you start getting defense and abilities it gets less dangerous. But there are still some enemies who can deal massive damage with one attack. I don't remember the earliest you can learn second chance or once More, but with out those, taking a lot of damage is to be avoided.

It can get tough with those enemies who don't stagger easily (Crimson Jazz comes to mind with their mine-spamming).

Posted by Linko_16

My ***, even in normal mode, I can't stand Crimson Jazz.

Posted by Arczu

Oh sh*t on me...

I finally unlocked the Last cup in the Hades Tournament, and I BARELY made it to round 11. If round 10 nearly kicked my arse, WTF am I going to do for 30's 40's? Even the Shadows have a truckload of HP.

Posted by Wally The Weird

I only JUST managed to beat the game on normal, as well as Sephiroth. Yeah, it wasn't the hardest, but there were certain fights that I KNOW I am screwed on when I get there again with proud.
Xaldin, for one :(

I actually died on the giant nobody fight with Roxas, and grinded to level 7 before killing him!

Of course, I like my magic, so that may be why.

FIRE FTW!

Posted by Ant

I also lost that battle first time. But that was because I was stupid and forgot all about items :/

Posted by keyartist

I played it on proud mode and beat it. Sethiroth was hard but he got his but kicked. the hades cup was hard also, I don't like if you lose you points you lose the battle .

Posted by Arczu

The problem with the point battles is that sometimes you take on damage even if Sora doesn't get knocked back. You barly even notice it and it sometimes does't take any of your HP away, but still subtracts points. That and the massive amount of points you can loose on each hit (dancers come to mind... ugh).

Maybe I should go to level 99 first, then see to it's completion...

Posted by Wally The Weird

I never actually did any of the tournaments till I had Final on Normal. It wasn't because I didn;t think I could win, I just flat-out forgot.
Magic is truley incredible against enemies, massive damage.

Plus, two negative combos will give you an instant finisher on physical and magical attacks.

Posted by Sean the Wicked

Have fun once you read Level 49 of the Hades Paradox Cup on Proud Mode.

That's where it gets really fun.

Posted by Arczu

Oh hell no. I want to see someone RECORD that sh*t. The moment you begin to attack... aren't YOU going to get destroyed?

These Paradox Cups are really tough.

I'm having trouble just getting there. If I can get past the summons, I think I might be able to manage a bit better. I THINK.

EDIT: I just found out something that I was kicking myself for hours for why I could NEVER see this before. When Stich is crawling around on the screen, he will regularily restoroe ALL OF YOUR MP. Yes, he drools over the guage or something and it has the same effect as an ether (brings you out of MP charge mode too). That being said, Gravity, Thundaga and especially Blizzard can be used with no regression. Man that bugs be to no end!

"Valor" Genie served a giant purpose in here too. His Sonic > Rave attack subtracted up to 70% of an entire bar of HP from the two big ones. Namely Blizzard Lord and Pete.

Posted by Winky

I wish I woulda started on Proud Mode. Normal mode was competitive and all but it didn't give me the satisfaction of beating something extremly hard, and imo wasn't as fun...

Harder= better game (to a point)

Posted by keyartist

yeah I like starting on the hardest mode. In some games you get an even harder mode after you beat the game. Oh Yeah!

Posted by PMK

I played it the first time on proud mode... And I'm like 1% away from 100% journal. I'm like 90% complete with the Gummi Ship Missions... And yeah.... S+8 on Assault of the Dreadnaught.

The only thing I need to do to complete the journal is beat Hades Paradox with 15,000 points (I just need the time to do it, like tomorrow...) And then I need to complete the Sythesis lists. Then the journal is complete... :-D

I'll keep you guys updated.

P.S. Sepheroth isn't that bad... You just need to have aerial recovery equipped...

Posted by Arczu

Excactly how did you deliver the damage during rounds 31-40? I simply CANNOT get past those hundreds of those smalls ones you have to knock out, even with the Speed Trap command. I usually loose a lot of time there (about 4 minutes).

Posted by PMK

A combo move I enjoy is Magnega followed instantly by Thundaga. It kills weak enemies instantly and puts the hurt on powerful enemies, all while collecting the neatly in the ceter of the ring for easy slaughter.

****Note for Fenrir****
When Fenrir is equipped, equip all abilities that have to do with a "final/ending move" and also equip a second negative combo.

Viola! Instant combo finishing moves!

Posted by Arczu

Sephiroth just needs some good strategy. And believe it or not, Reflectga has another purpose. Guard Break with Aerial Swipes and the other stuff.

I guess that's worth a try but

Halfway through with the 100 or lotsa of those small ones. They still don't get destroyed fast enough by the thunder (Seems like I have to hit each one two times. I tried instant combo finishers and found it SLOWER then what I was doing which is just... wrong...)

Note that in the Paradox Cup, all enemies are VERY hard to instantly finish. Pfft... FINISHing them is hard. (Dancers could end up doing what... 140 damage to Sora when grabbed?! Rediculous!)

Posted by PMK

What 100 small ones are you talking about? The little yellow ones?

Posted by Arczu

Yes those ones.

They have enough HP just slow me down trying to defeat the all so fast. I get to Leon/Cloud with just over a minute left.

Posted by PMK

What level are you?

Also: I can't remember. Can you use a Drive form?

Posted by Tysis

I have played all modes twice (except for easy mode) and have figured something out. when planets tell you what lvl you should be, it matters.

On Novice: Can be at least 10 lvls under and still be ok.
On Standard: Should be same lvl to be ok.
On Proud: Need to be at least 10 lvls over to still be ok.

This theory has worked just fine for me all the times i played and seems to be enough. Proud mode is still my favorite because it makes everything a challenge. The only thing I can say is try to get at least 10 lvls higher than what it says to be, and you'll be fine.

Posted by ccrocker58

I dunno, I found a lot of moments in Proud mode to actually be EASIER than they were in Normal. If you want to really be able to breaze through the game on proud, just start out by going to Beast's Castle before going to the Land of Dragons after getting out of Hollow Bastion for the first time. The enemies there will give you massive experience, and by the time you get out of there, you'll of most likely upped yourself by 4-5 levels. It'll take a while to do it, and you'll die a lot most likely, but after getting through it, the rest of the game suddenly becomes a whole lot easier. Oh, and in all the Underdrome Tournaments, Negative Combo and Finishing Plus is your best friend.

Posted by Arczu

Update... looks like I've beeing toying with the wrong techs. And Ultima weapon REALLY helped here. Driving to Master Form, then using Magnet was KILLER for that 1 round.

Last set of rounds (41-50) are still kickking my arse though. Wow... you'd think that at level 98, you could blaze past them but noooooo. 1 hit lops off more than a third of your HP. Some hits take it all.

I'll take a picture one day and show the retarded damage these guys are doing. And yeah, round 41-50 is Sora alone. No Drive, no Summon, No Limits, just skill.

Other than that though, Proud mode kept the game more challenging.

Posted by Roxas23857

I don't know if I could handle Proud Mode if it's that hard I might hate Kingdom Hearts and that would be like the day I die or something so I'll just stick to Normal...for now maybe I'll be good enough one day...just maybe..

Posted by Forgotten-Memory

proud mode wasnt that hard for me either you just have to maintaine a high lvl

Posted by Arczu

Oh screw that. Lets just go STRAIGHT to the final boss at level 36!

Yeah, kinda reminds me of how friggin' hard it is to NOT get hit in this game if you don't know what you are doing. I did that on standard mode and sh... could you say 1-hit K.O!?

Posted by Kingdomkeys

Quoting Linko_16: I doubt I'll ever bother with proud mode, but props to those who can brave it.

man i have too play proud mode cuse i can get the jounal 1oo% done but i'm almost done on proud mode

Posted by Kingdomkeys

man has anyone beat Sethiroth cause i cant even hit him 2

Posted by Kingdomkeys

Quoting Roxas23857: I don't know if I could handle Proud Mode if it's that hard I might hate Kingdom Hearts and that would be like the day I die or something so I'll just stick to Normal...for now maybe I'll be good enough one day...just maybe..

proud mode is not that harder than normal cause all u have to do on proud is finish the game with out getting killed

Posted by princess_of_hearts15

I'm totally stuck on Scar (The Pride Lands, first visit) in Proud mode, but I couldn't get the stupid journal past 94% in standard...I heard you get more in the ending after the final battle if you complete the journal in standard or just finish proud...but lately my stupid brother, who knows nothing about kingdom hearts at all (he doesn't know anything!!!) has been borrowing my game without asking me, and so i had to start a new game in kingdom hearts 1 to prevent withdrawl...trying for expert in that one, if you take the sword and give up the shield in the beginning and beat it, it's the hardest level of the game and you get different art in the credits...idk it's supposed to be cool...well, anyone who wants to chat endlessly about kingdom hearts, my email address is [email]x3_greendayluver_x3@yahoo.com[/email], and i try to answer emails...in case you didnt notice i'm an attention whore looking for something to do this summer...k this is long, so ttyl

Posted by Kingdomkeys

HAY IM NO DIFFENT MY EMAIL IS [email]SPIRIT493@AOL.COM[/email]

Posted by Arczu

Quoting princess_of_hearts15: so i had to start a new game in kingdom hearts 1 to prevent withdrawl...trying for expert in that one, if you take the sword and give up the shield in the beginning and beat it, it's the hardest level of the game and you get different art in the credits...idk it's supposed to be cool...well, anyone who wants to chat endlessly about kingdom hearts, my email address is [email]x3_greendayluver_x3@yahoo.com[/email], and i try to answer emails...in case you didnt notice i'm an attention whore looking for something to do this summer...k this is long, so ttyl

A) why e-mail excessively about it when you can talk about it on the KINGDOM HEARTS board?

B) That is NOT long.

I honestly don't think some of your know the curves proud mode works on. Espcially starting a new game. It's harder because of the earlier levels where you don't have a handful of abilities watching your back. Getting hit more than 3 times could K.O you at that point. There are some situations where when you had leeway, you don't have anymore.

Posted by Kingdomkeys

[COLOR=sienna]your right. but i like the adventure and the harder leveles[/COLOR][IMG]http://vgchat.com/images/icons/icon10.gif[/IMG]

Posted by deathdealah

Quoting Wally The Weird: I only JUST managed to beat the game on normal, as well as Sephiroth. Yeah, it wasn't the hardest, but there were certain fights that I KNOW I am screwed on when I get there again with proud.
Xaldin, for one :(

I actually died on the giant nobody fight with Roxas, and grinded to level 7 before killing him!

Of course, I like my magic, so that may be why.

FIRE FTW!

*** **** i just beat it on normal and xaldin kicked my *** 3 rimes b4 i could beeat him and the guy with the guns (cant remember his name) but i want the secret ending so i haev soem work ahed of me

Posted by WackoHater2

I just recently started the game on Proud Mode. I am up to Olympus Colesium, and I have died five times or so. Its not easy at all. I am only doing it to get the secret ending, although I have already seen it on YouTube. I am thinking about going and deleting my Proud Mode file and going back to my Normal Mode one and just trying to complete it 100% to get the ending. It seems to be easier. Plus I have done a lot of work. I have gotten all of my Drives to maxed (except Final, which is at 5).

Posted by Arcadios

I started a Proud mode game but I didn't continue it thou.

Posted by Arczu

Because being owned by the bosses 12 times in a row will almost always be frustrating.

Multiple this number by 5 for Saix...

Posted by Mandude120

I'm currently playing on Proud Mode. It was a little tough at the beginning until I got "Cure" Then, things got easy. I noticed that on some of the bosses I died while on "Normal" I barely broke a sweat with on hard. Maybe it's because I know the strategies and all I gotta do is use the startegies. On normal it took me 2 days to beat Sephiroth, so I don't know if I'll be able to beat him in Proud. We'll see.

Posted by deathdealah

u dont need to beat him on proud to get the ending

Posted by WackoHater2

I've given up on Proud Mode for the time being. I went back to Normal and I am trying to complete all of the Missions and side quests again.

Posted by Arczu

Nah... I wouldn't give it up yet. It's when you try to rush it gets hard.

Posted by WackoHater2

Reason I gave up is because I am stuck. I am in the Underworld, where Hades chases you and has Heartless attack you every once in a while. He keeps beating me. I tried again yesterday, but I couldnt do it. I might try again today.