Tremolo and guitar

Posted by Altinure

I've gotten to the point in guitar where I'm good with most chords. I've got strumming down, and I'm pretty decent at picking and hammering and pulling and all that stuff now.

One thing I can't seem to get is tremolo. How do you do it? I mean, I understand it's just strumming one string really fast, but I can't do it fast enough to sound good without hitting other strings. How am I supposed to practice it or is there some trick to it or something?

For isntance, the song I'm trying to learn it in is the lead guitar of "A Favor House Atlantic" by Coheed and Cambria. I can play the entire lead part except for this 10 second tremolo part of the bridge at 2:45 seconds in the song. It goes as such:

Bridge lead 3 (Each note in the first half of this lead is struck w/ tremolo picking)
e|----------------------------------------------------------------------------->
B|-10--9--7--9-4-5-7-10--9--7--5-4-5-7-10--9--7--9-4-5-7-5--4--5--7-5-4-5-->
G|----------------------------------------------------------------------------->
D|----------------------------------------------------------------------------->
A|----------------------------------------------------------------------------->
E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Tab I'm using: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/c/coheed_and_cambria/a_favor_house_atlantic_ver4_tab.htm

You can listen to it hear if you need to, but I'm warning you, this song has by far his wierdest vocals: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=75321717

It's an obviously easy tremolo to practice on, but I just can't do it at all well.

This song is so fun for me to play on the guitar because it's so fast, and I really want to figure it out.

Posted by keyartist

I think its time for you to put carpet on your walls and doorand also your roof, for some reason it makes your music sound better.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting keyartist: I think its time for you to put carpet on your walls and doorand also your roof, for some reason it makes your music sound better.

lolurstupid

Seriously though, you shouldn't be striving to do something so hard if you can't do it. Start picking slowly (just fret 12, or something without changing notes), and just gradually get faster over a period of 30 seconds or so - then try and hold your maximum speed for as long as you can. I really don't know how I ever learned to tremolo pick, but try that a couple of times a day.

Then later, work on actually getting the timing of the notes right.

Posted by Altinure

Alright. I wonder if maybe it's my amp as well that makes it not sound very good. It's just a practice amp with distortion pedal, so the sound isn't super amazing.

Posted by MetalVox~55

get a metronome and work on your speed picking. that and alternate pick while you do it (you'll go 10 times as fast).

as far as gear is concerned:
you're not going to sound all that great unless you have a decent guitar & amp.
Rule of thumb is if your amp doesn't have a good distortion and a decent clean, it's not worth picking up. Distortion pedals are useless. Overdrive pedals (i.e. Ibanez Tubescreamers) on the other hand while mixed with a decent amp sound... :)

Posted by Richaod

Quoting MetalVox~55: that and alternate pick while you do it (you'll go 10 times as fast).

Didn't occur to me that he might not be alternate picking. :P You're the teacher.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Richaod: Didn't occur to me that he might not be alternate picking. :P You're the teacher.

yup :p

Posted by Altinure

is altnernate picking where you just hit it on the upstroke and downstroke? because i do that, haha. i'm not awesome at it yet, but i usually do all my picking like that.

Posted by Hyper

Yeah, up/downstroking is essential when learning to tremolo. Just takes some practice.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Tremolo picking really isn't anything special. It's actually a term for when you move your pick closer to the bridge and pick to get a different tone. You're just talking about going faster. Get a metronome and work on it.