VH1 may for metal month.

Posted by shep

I like that they are contributing a month for all of you metal heads. but I was watching the 40 greatest metal songs and I think they screwed it up big time. what are your thoughts?

Posted by Dreadnought

I have high doubts that anything they play during this month will be worth the title of 'Metal'. Certainly no real prog/black/death/power.

Give me a list of bands to be shown and I'll get back to you.

Posted by shep

lol.That's in your own persona. I can't wait till supergroup starts to air. faith no more, alice in chains,poison,motly crue,marilin manson,korn,judas priest,white zombie were some in the count down.

Posted by Dreadnought

You've named three bands out of eight actually deserving of the title 'Metal'. The fact that two of them are 'Poison' and 'Motley Crue' immediately confirms my belief that the programme is going to be ****. Hooray for mallcore, the media parade of accessible, unchallenging 'rebellion' marches on and on and on.

Posted by Brandon Heat

Looks like they are going to be playing "Classic" metal(Like Metallica and Mega Death), along with Nu-Metal (Whis by the way is ****) and not even touch bands like As I Lay Dying, Lamb of ***, etc

Posted by Lord of Spam

Needs more hair metal.

Posted by Klarth

Lamb of God are metalcore, and hey, metalcore's pretty much glorified nu-metal. Saying that, I don't mind Soilwork, and LoG aren't exactly bad, but whatever.

oh guys i hope "mesmorimise" by slipkorn of a down was in the top 5!!!!! @_@;;;;;;

Posted by Dreadnought

I was actually hoping for more along the lines of Gorgoroth, Nile, Behemoth, Amon Amarth, etc. Maybe some new CC.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Dreadnought: I was actually hoping for more along the lines of Gorgoroth, Nile, Behemoth, Amon Amarth, etc. Maybe some new CC.

Why would that be in 40 top metal songs or like be even played in VH1?

Posted by Dreadnought

IT SHOULD BE. That and Buckethead.

Or, in the absence of good music, crucify all the f[COLOR=Black]uckin[/COLOR]g -core bands on live TV.

Posted by Altinure

I really disagree that those bands should be on VH1 because no one likes them. VH1 appeals to popular culture, not big-pants-wearing, greasy-haired, 14-year old boy culture.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I think you'll find that some of the emo kids that label themselves as metal wear pants so tight that even you would be ashamed.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Klarth:

oh guys i hope "mesmorimise" by slipkorn of a down was in the top 5!!!!! @_@;;;;;;

i hope eternal suffering of the darkness of sorrowful black apocalypse by dark hateful abyss is uin the top 1!!!1 ;)

Posted by Dreadnought

Music Television should be about good, talented music. Not boring/unoriginal/accessible crap.

Posted by s0ul

I'm pretty sure you'd be a lot more ****ed if MTV started whoring out what you listen to.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Eh, I don't doubt that they'll still play pretty terrible music. Though it's not like I'll get to watch it either way, since I don't get it in Canada. But the only shown that's ever managed to play decent metal was Much Music's Loud. It probably helped that they took any fan request however, and was hosted by a guy that seemed to know what he was talking about.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Altinure: I really disagree that those bands should be on VH1 because no one likes them. VH1 appeals to popular culture, not big-pants-wearing, greasy-haired, 14-year old boy culture.

:rolleyes:
Some people like metal, some don't. Likewise, some see and appreciate skill & talent in music, and some don't. I'd much rather listen to something fast, technical, and heavy as hell instead of some douche crying and playing nothing but 4 chords the entire time.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting s0ul: i hope eternal suffering of the darkness of sorrowful black apocalypse by dark hateful abyss is uin the top 1!!!1 ;)

That is an unfair stereotype >:O At least mine was ACCURATE >:O

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Altinure: I really disagree that those bands should be on VH1 because no one likes them. VH1 appeals to popular culture, not big-pants-wearing, greasy-haired, 14-year old boy culture.

Yeah, I'd much rather see bands that appeal to grandma-pants wearing, unnaturally black haired, what's intended to be 12 year old girl culture but somehow became trendy for guys in their late teens and early twenties. I mean, that's what's cool!

Both trends suck, and so does Motley Crue, so I won't be watching this.

Posted by Altinure

Quoting MetalVox~55: :rolleyes:
Some people like metal, some don't. Likewise, some see and appreciate skill & talent in music, and some don't. I'd much rather listen to something fast, technical, and heavy as hell instead of some douche crying and playing nothing but 4 chords the entire time.

Metal may take more talent to play than emo or whatever you're trying to make fun of (which isn't even played on VH1), but metal doesn't appeal to popular culture. It's that simple.

Quoted post: Metal may take more talent to play than emo or whatever you're trying to make fun of (which isn't even played on VH1), but metal doesn't appeal to popular culture. It's that simple.

"Definition: contemporary lifestyle and items that are well known and generally accepted, cultural patterns that are widespread within a population; also called pop culture"

bam, it can be considered popular culture. And even if it's not so much now, it used to be. And we all know how much music stations like honoring bands and trends of the past.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Thank you, CJ.

Posted by Altinure

Quoting Vampiro: "Definition: contemporary lifestyle and items that are well known and generally accepted, cultural patterns that are widespread within a population; also called pop culture"

bam, it can be considered popular culture. And even if it's not so much now, it used to be. And we all know how much music stations like honoring bands and trends of the past.

Well I was speaking currently. It's not popular right now, so why would they play it?

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Altinure]
Well I was speaking currently. It's not popular right now, so why would they play it?
Same question applies to "golden oldies" stations.

Quoted post: Well I was speaking currently. It's not popular right now, so why would they play it?

Quoted post:
And we all know how much music stations like honoring bands and trends of the past.

They do it all the time. They do with every decade, they do it with the oldies, they do it with hair metal, they do it with boybands, et cetera. It's nothing new.

Posted by Altinure

Ugh, I don't get why you guys are being so ridiculously difficult about this. Metal is not popular right now, so they don't play metal normally or release new metal or anything.

I don't mean 80s metal. I know they play that occasionally. I'm talking about playing new metal.

I don't think we're being that ridiculous. It may not be as popular as some... I don't know, rap or something, but it has a pretty large fanbase. Big enough that it would be fairly dumb to ignore. Plus, I don't see what the big deal is. Wow, they're not playing crappy rock and stupid shows anymore. Don't worry, they'll be back on within a month.

Either way, I'm sure they're not playing ALL new metal. If they have a feature like "40 Greatest Metal Songs" they must be playing some of the older metal... which just happened to play a pretty big part in shaping the music you listen to today. So hey, maybe you should tune in and broaden your taste in music or just wait it out.

Posted by Altinure

Who said I like the music on VH1? I mean, yeah, VH1 plays better music than MTV because it's a station geared towards people in their 20s and 30s, but I wouldn't stay that's where I hear about my music from. I'm just staing the fact that VH1 does not play metal regularly.

And no, they don't play metal ever. VH1 is no longer a music station. It's now a station about popular culture. The reason there is a "40 Greatest Metal Countdown" is because a lot of fan base grew up when Metal was popular. That is why all the metal bands on there are from the 80s and 90s. This is the same reason they have a Metal Month--to target their older audience. Just because they have this countdown doesn't mean they play metal late at night. They have a countdown for everything.

FUSE plays metal along with MTV 2, so they definitely aren't ignoring the metal fanbase. Headbanger's Ball and... I can't remember the names of FUSE's metal shows are on all the time.

And by the way, who are you to even critique my bredth of musical preferences? I'm pretty sure I have a more diverse taste in music than you do, not that that means anything. It's all based on personal preferences. I like bands ranging from genres of progressive rock to emo to post-punk to neo-punk to eurodance to 90s pop.

And I think metal did a TOOON for music. Seriously, the guitars riffs are amazing in metal, but I just don't like listening to it. I don't get why it's hard for people here to understand it. I happen to like more minimalist rock. There is more to music than crunchy guitar riffs and double bass. ;)

Although I think crunchy distortion sounds so good, and I usually always play with it on.

Quoted post: Who said I like the music on VH1? I mean, yeah, VH1 plays better music than MTV because it's a station geared towards people in their 20s and 30s, but I wouldn't stay that's where I hear about my music from. I'm just staing the fact that VH1 does not play metal regularly.

Who said you did? But I realise they don't play metal often. Most music stations don't.

Quoted post:
The reason there is a "40 Greatest Metal Countdown" is because a lot of fan base grew up when Metal was popular. That is why all the metal bands on there are from the 80s and 90s. This is the same reason they have a Metal Month--to target their older audience. Just because they have this countdown doesn't mean they play metal late at night. They have a countdown for everything.

... Er, I know. I was referring to the Countdown, not the station itself.

Quoted post:
FUSE plays metal along with MTV 2, so they definitely aren't ignoring the metal fanbase. Headbanger's Ball and... I can't remember the names of FUSE's metal shows are on all the time.

Ugh, I never said no station plays metal. There's a station in Canada made just for it. But when you're a pop culture station, you'd figure they wouldn't ignore what used to be, and what still is a fairly popular culture.

Quoted post:
And by the way, who are you to even critique my bredth of musical preferences? I'm pretty sure I have a more diverse taste in music than you do, not that that means anything.

Doubt that :cookie:

Quoted post: There is more to music than crunchy guitar riffs and double bass

NO! Really?

No ****, that's why I don't listen to JUST metal. Though, I like your generalisation there.

Posted by Altinure

I'm done replying. I tried to make that last reply as light hearted as possible and you still took it as me attacking you or something.

Quoted post: I'm done replying. I tried to make that last reply as light hearted as possible and you still took it as me attacking you or something.

Attacking me? No. Obviously you never attacked me once in the whole post. I don't believe I even saw one ad-hom in the entire thing, in fact. But I can't properly respond to a reply that misconstrued pretty much everything I said. As evident by my replies. Though you did do a good job of making a "light-hearted" post. ;)

Posted by MetalVox~55

CJ is right, and I didn't see any where in that post where he attacked Alty. Metal is here to stay, and *** forbid if they get some play time over the TV or the radio.

Posted by Altinure

I didn't say he attacked me, but it just seemed like he thought I was trying to attack him or something. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Quoted post: I didn't say he attacked me, but it just seemed like he thought I was trying to attack him or something. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Understandable. Especially in the last two parts. But that's more of just... er, who I am, rather than me defending myself.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Dreadnought: Music Television should be about good, talented music. Not boring/unoriginal/accessible crap.

How dare music television stations play anything accessible. Accessibility... pfffft.

Posted by BlizzardOfSteel

anyways...........lol i enjoyed watching vh1 lol cus i do listen/like hair metal. but its highlight was pantera behind the music. i saw it and tivoed it.
*RIP* dimebag

Posted by Shin_Akuma

I'm a Pantera fan but I thought the behind the music was terrible. This is basically how it went.
"we used to play hair metal then we met phil anselmo and turned heavy, then we released cowobys from hell and it was really fukkin heavy man! Then we drank a **** load of alcahol then we were like man the next album needs to be even heavier! alright man, yeah! wooo lets go drink some more, then that album came out then we were like dude this next album needs to be the heaviest **** yet! And yeah man phil would take down a whole bottle of vodka during a show then i'd try and take down a whole can of beer and it was awesome! Then the next album came out and was like super heavy! then dimebag died....:[."
And that was pretty much it.