Alright, what's happening here?

Posted by Klarth

I made a thread yesterday in the PSP board about Daedelus, a recently released N64 emulator for the PSP.

It's not there anymore. I'd like an explanation.

Posted by sabre

I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure emulator and rom discussion is against the rules.

Posted by Klarth

Rom links are forbidden for obvious reasons, but emulators constitute simple homebrew development, and considering the fact that the PSP doesn't need to be modded in any way to execute unsigned code, emulator discussion is legal in this context. There's nothing in the rules about it.

*makes thread again*

Posted by Ex-Linkman

Yeah, ROM and Emulator talk hasn't been allowed here for years. Well, ROMs, if whatever the Emulator thing is is legal, then it's OK.

I don't see how an emulator allowing people to play N64 games on a PSP could possibly be "legal" though.

Posted by Speedfreak

Some homebrew may be legal, but not all of it is. How you got voted to mod is now beyond me, not making threads with emulators in them is one of the most basic rules of the board.

Posted by Klarth

Linkman: It is and it isn't. However, the development of an emulator is legal, as is its publication (and by that logic, discussion pertaining to it). There have only been two instances of an emulator coder being sent a cease and desist:

- The publishers of Bleem!, a commercial PS1 emulator for PC. It was even sold in shops and ported to Dreamcast.

- Some guy who was coding a PSP emulator about a year ago.

Besides, if this sort of thing's legal and hosted on a prestigious, professional site like [url=www.pspupdates.qj.net]QJ PSPUpdates[/url], there's no harm in it being allowed on a small backwater forum like VGC.

edit:

[quote=Speedfreak]Some homebrew may be legal, but not all of it is. How you got voted to mod is now beyond me, not making threads with emulators in them is one of the most basic rules of the board.
What? Since when? There's never been anything about that in the rules to my knowledge. I even took the time to check before I posted about it.

Posted by Dexter

Klarthy, it was me who physically removed the thread. It used to and still is from what I hear a big no no to even discuss such things. I sort of have to agree with not allowing them for various reasons. I know it has casually been happening around the forums, so I often think it is starting to be allowed, like profanity, but it's not. It's difficult to remove such discussions because there doesn't seem to be any official rule about them anywhere on VGC anymore. I guess we assume that everyone knows they are not allowed. Perhaps an official rule needs to be created so we know how to handle these situations better. I don't think they should be allowed.

You say it is legal, many others believe it not to be. I can't possibly see how that can be legal. People will search for ROMs after getting the emulator you are introducing to them. How else are they going to check it out? What purpose does it serve without the ROMs?

Posted by Klarth

You asked for someone to email you music. Isn't that the same sort of thing?

Also, chances are that if they're interested in something like this, they'll already have a few roms under their sleeve. I certainly did. And hey, surely there's nothing wrong with telling people to Google for roms if they want them? It's not as if we can deny their existence.

Posted by Dexter

So true. I've slowly gotten used to allowing and discussing such things recently because it seems as though that VGC rule has been decreasing in importance and strictness. I wouldn't have removed the discussion unless complaints were coming to me about it, because I don't hear anything about them not being allowed anymore and don't really have a big problem with them myself. It would be difficult to bring that rule up and remember to stay strong with it, but if it is going to be one of our rules, it definitely should be posted somewhere and put into action. If complaints come to me saying "this is illegal and not allowed on VGC," I tend to have to do something about it. I can't ignore it. Even if someone complained about me asking for music, I would remove what I said simply because they are right and I was wrong.