messed up the partition

Posted by thelaststand

alright well i was resizing my main partition using partition magic, and i restarted then PM froze, so i had 2 restart the computer, well by that point the partition was already messed up, and when i turn on my computer it takes me to the screen where u can pick btwn safe mode and a couple other modes, but when you try to boot to any of them it just restarts your computer, anyone know how to fix this

Posted by Trigger

Format.

Posted by Philsdad

Oh man, this doesn't sound too good. You should never mess with your Windows partitions like that, it's too risky. It sounds like the partition probably wiped out some important files in your MBR or something like that. I assume you're using XP, right? If you have your XP disc, turn off your PC and boot off the XP CD. If your computer won't boot off the CD, you might have to go into your BIOS (system settings) and change your boot order. When you boot off the disc, a list of options should come up. I think you need to press R for repair. When you go there, look for an option to repair your master boot record. See if that does anything (it might not, but it's worth a try.) If you can't do anything to repair this, try installing your hard drive as a slave drive on a friend's computer if you can, and see if you can salvage your files.

I had a similar thing happen to me a few years back. I wanted to dual boot Windows 2000 and Mandrake 10, and I used the so called reliable Mandrake partition utility. My Windows partitions got completely hosed, and I couldn't save anything. It's always best to back your stuff up first, when trying things like this. I hope your drive can be saved, but unfortunately, messing with partitions can be serious business. Let me know what happens, and I'll try to think of something else.

Posted by shep

was it a compaq? that's what I have for my other computer, I had windows 98 and 2000 and it wouldn't let me take out 98 so I had 2 partitions cause compaq is dumb,but I finally got it out and it took me over a year,lol. I hate partitions.

Posted by Trigger

That is probably because you are a moron.