Lost Magic

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

My brother bought this today, solely because it had the Nintendo WFC logo in the corner - I had low hopes, but I've just played an hour or two of it, and it's looking promising. The character control system is strangely similar to the point-and-click of an RTS, and the spell-casting is pretty fun and relative - the more accurately your spell resembles the template, the higher damage your opponent takes, and such. My only gripe so far is that the learning curve is way too steep - you end up being gangbanged by monsters while trying to cast a seriously vertexed shape quite a lot near the opening.

Overall, it feels like a pretty innovative game, but don't play it if you're looking for an RPG with thick plot - it's just the typical ELEMENTALS storyline, with the protagonist being a generic 10 year old 'chosen one' character.

Anyone else played?

Posted by GameMiestro

Here's my new motto- in North America, Europe, Japan, and everywhere else, Lost Magic pwns you!

Yeah, I bought the game. It gets insanely difficult by the time you get to Blaze Lake, and the only reason I survived that was because of the timely arrival of my Nintendo Power... I'm currently a level 28 spell caster that focuses on Fire spells (such as the Explosion variants), has a elemental strength of Lv. 5 for Fire, and my best creature is a level 24 Wyrven unit. I'm currently training to beat the Dark sage... no spoilers here!

Another thing I noticed is the crazy plot. Forget what I said earlier about spoilers- *spoiler* [spoiler]The kids adopted parent gets killed off 2 hours into the game, and he doesn't even care. What the hell is wrong with this kid? [/spoiler] *spoiler*

Anyways, if you want any help on a particular level, feel free to ask (this is one game that needs it). The scary thing is that I chose this game over Final Fantasy IV Advance and Tales of Phantastia. All I wanted to do was shift over to DS games, and I get stuck with this... still, seeing as how repetitive training doesn't bug me, my future lv. 99 characters will own on wi-fi.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting GameMiestro: Yeah, I bought the game. It gets insanely difficult by the time you get to Blaze Lake, and the only reason I survived that was because of the timely arrival of my Nintendo Power... I'm currently a level 28 spell caster that focuses on Fire spells (such as the Explosion variants), has a elemental strength of Lv. 5 for Fire, and my best creature is a level 24 Wyrven unit. I'm currently training to beat the Dark sage... no spoilers here!

Anyways, if you want any help on a particular level, feel free to ask (this is one game that needs it). The scary thing is that I chose this game over Final Fantasy IV Advance and Tales of Phantastia. All I wanted to do was shift over to DS games, and I get stuck with this... still, seeing as how repetitive training doesn't bug me, my future lv. 99 characters will own on wi-fi.

I just quoted your post and saw the spoiler. Oh well.

:(

Out of the five/six people I know who own Lost Magic, I haven't seen anyone with an alignment other than fire - the system reminds me of the Pok

Posted by GameMiestro

The basic fire spell is probably the best spell in the game- it does a huge amount of damage for very little mana. How far are you into the storyline, might I ask? I beat all of the sages once and I have a save file for both the good path and the evil path. You'll find out what I'm talking about. However, I recommend the good path, as it is a lot more interesting than the consecutive boss battles of the alternative. I'm trying to smash the Earth Sage now for the second time, and am at lv. 33 wtih lv. 29-30 monsters. I completed the "lost kids" side quest and got a lv. 35 Boxdog, but it's stats aren't so hot... do you know if it's stats increase a lot as it levels up? I'm not ready to give up my lv. 29 Light Walkers for it just yet, but NP said Boxdog was fairly powerful.

[quote=The X][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#cccccc]I just quoted your post and saw the spoiler. Oh well.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Heh, that really wasn't much of one... if you don't mind us posting any spoilers, we can have a more serious discussion about whats going on in the story.

Posted by GameMiestro

bump

Happy day, I finally beat the game. The whole game is based around defeating the Twilight Diva, so you can guess who the final boss is. Strangely enough, I think it was a fairly easy battle (General of the Gravel Stone was much more powerful), as long as you have a reasonable strategy and plenty of monsters. I won't tell what happens (it's a pretty cool climax), but I will share my awesome Diva-pwning team.

Jetvern lv. 40 5P
Item: Life Bracelet lv. 5
I needed a solid wall of monster based fury to lead the charge against the Diva, and Jetverns (the upgraded version of Wyverns) fit the bill. I was originally stuck between these and a Gale Dragon. However, with the Life Bracelet attached, the total health of each Jetvern (two to a unit) was 2100, while the total health of a Dragon (one to a unit) was about 3500. Overall, Jetverns were the better deal. Until I can get some very high level Dragons, I probably will avoid using them entirely.

Runemander lv. 43 3P
Item: Demon Horn Lv 3
A good long range unit for what it offers, and comes three to a unit. Plus, with the Demon Horn, his attack rises to nearly 200 damage. This upgraded Salamander is often looked down upon, but properly used, it is a very powerful unit.

Rune Gnome Lv. 37 3P
Item: Life Bracelet Lv. 5
Mostly filler, but it has higher endurance than the Runemander, and it has the useful ability to capture mana crystals. With the health upgrade, it's health tops out at slightly over 1000- more than enough to withstand the enemy's attacks.

Use this (or something similar) and you will own the Diva. Now on to the plus campaign, a much more difficult version of the original, but I get to keep all of my monsters, levels, and spells. Neat.

P.S.: IF YOU WANT A DS RPG, GET THIS GAME. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT. Once the storyline finally heats up, it's a boatload of fun. I kid you not :P.

Posted by Zeta

So... how long is this? 'Cuz I'm not getting it if it's as short (or boring) as Partners in Time.

Posted by GameMiestro

The storyline will take you a minimum of 10 hours. Thats how long I took, and I rushed. However, this game has some Pokemon like aspects, making the replay value at least 50 hours. The game is far more strategic and difficult than the Mario and Luigi games, but this isn't always a good thing...

Maybe I'm just bored because I have no one to discuss it with... either way, it's the only game I'll be playing for at least another week.

Posted by MGamer

how is the online mode?

Posted by GameMiestro

I don't know yet, but I will very soon...

Wait, the levels max out at 50?!? That probably cuts the replay value for single player to about 30 hours... shucks. Still, the number of multiplayer tactics is huge. Ability to convert entire enemy team= awesome. I really wish there was some single player storyline for this, though... once I'm done with the second story run, there will only be so much collecting to do, and no more mage vs. mage fights.

Posted by wavemaster20

to bad this game is not a mmo-rpg

Posted by GameMiestro

I've have catalouged in my game every single trio and duo rune possible (thats over 300 spells), and most of the Trio runes. I just cannot find those last few groups of spells... not to mention there are no "spell lists" that I can find online.

Suddenly, there just isn't much to do with the game... :(

Posted by XxLionheartXx

how is this game on the nintendo wi-fi connection?