what are some of the great metal bands out there

Posted by sephiroth_theunborn

I like today metal more then old but I will say for me Black Sabbath, kiss, King Diamond,slayer then newer bands like Six feet under, slipknot there first CD

And superjoint ritual ,murderdolls, Morbid Angel, drowning pool, cradle of filth and many more

what metal bands do you think that are kick a**

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

Nile, Believer, Dimmu Borgir, and Living Sacrifice.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Metallica.

Posted by netman

Eldritch

Posted by Philsdad

Arcturus, Naglfar, Falkenbach, Sad Legend, Nokturnal Mortum, Finntroll, Norther, Sonata Arctica, Dragonforce, Dark Age, Die Apokalyptischen Reiter, Necrophagist, Stratovarious, Sigh, Bal-Sagoth, Orphaned Land, Emperor, Stormlord, Dark Fortress, At The Gates, Ayreon, Children of Bodom, Abigor, Hypocrisy, Dimmu Borgir, Einherjer, Freedom Call, Iced Earth, Thou Shalt Suffer, Rhapsody, Lux Occulta, Opeth, Goatloard, Thy Primordial, Evoken, Royal Hunt, Sacramentum, Opera IX, Dragonhammer, Blackstone, Darkmoon, Bloodthrone, and Mors Principium Est are a few great metal bands.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Soilwork
Dark Tranquillity
Children of Bodom
Evergrey
In Flames

Posted by Borealis

Quoting MetalVox~55: Dark Tranquillity
Children of Bodom

Magnificent.

Eternal Tears of Sorrow
Stratovarius
Nightwish
Therion
Helloween

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Philsdad: *insert huge list of fantastic metal*

Yeah, those and:

Cruachan, Anathema, Bathory, Agalloch, Hammerfall, Immortal, Dead Silent Slumber, The Quill, Amorphis, All Shall Perish, Ulver, Darkseed, Betray My Secrets, Falconer, Electric Wizard, Graveworm, Hollenthon, In Extremo, Isis, Katatonia, Tiamat, Lumsk, Meshuggah, Nargaroth, Nocturnal Rites, Novembre, Suffocation, Tristania, Vital Remains, Vader, Vintersorg, Darkthrone, Turisas, Schandmaul, Korpiklaani, Estatic Fear, Cerberus, Ensiferum, Enslaved, Dragonlord, Candlemass, Borknagar, Fireball Ministry, Skyclad.

I have no idea how anybody can stand King Diamond. Mercyful Fate was decent but damn... :(

Posted by sabre

Dream Theater. C'mon, someone was gonna say it.

In addition, Angra, Mullmuzzler, Dali's Dilemma, Waltari, Anubis Gate, and Arcturus all spring to mind.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I find your lack of Dio disturbing

Posted by Boner

Quoting feioncastor: Metallica.

Are you kidding me?

Anyway....Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Nevermore (they're ok), Opeth, Borknagar, Avernus, Acid Bath, Lacuna Coil...

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Sabredog]I mainly listen to Nightwish, Therion, Xandria, Chalice, Apocalyptica, Metallica... I'll ocassionally listen to Dream Theatre and Rhapsody. I've just started listening to Symphony X, and I really like them.

Posted by William

Oh, I have a few more that I just recently listened to and liked as well:

Dio
Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society

Posted by TheSecondComing

My ***, the amount of stupid band names in this thread.

:cool2:

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

hell yeah, someone else mentioned Testament, which I forgot \m/

Posted by Raptor

VIXEN.......!!

Posted by Skitzo Control

Whoever said Motler Crue as one of the greatest metal bands needs to die, and soon. The Crue is not a metal band, they're a hair band, much like Skid Row and Poison and Scorpions.

Posted by Raptor

Neither is "Steel Dragon." They aren't actually a band at all.

Honestly, I think a lot of members just list a lot of metal bands they never even listen to just to look cool.

Posted by Philsdad

Quoting Raptor: Neither is "Steel Dragon." They aren't actually a band at all.

Honestly, I think a lot of members just list a lot of metal bands they never even listen to just to look cool.

Yeah, I just can't believe how trendy metal has become at this place. I seriously wonder how many people here got into metal BEFORE ever coming to VGC?

Posted by TheSecondComing

Quoting Philsdad: Yeah, I just can't believe how trendy metal has become at this place. I seriously wonder how many people here got into metal BEFORE ever coming to VGC?

I grew disillusioned with metal around the same time that I started coming here. Before then I was your ultimate nerdy metal fanboy.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Philsdad: Yeah, I just can't believe how trendy metal has become at this place. I seriously wonder how many people here got into metal BEFORE ever coming to VGC?

Lack of exposure.

Surely you prefer a metal trend to a mainstream pop trend?

Posted by -Shadow-

Others have already listed alot of what I was going to say, but I don't believe that anyone has mentioned Shadows Fall yet.

Posted by MetalVox~55

I was into In Flames and Opeth before i found VGC :)

Posted by Raptor

Thank RAYG someone else agrees with me here. I respect you greatly for more or less being -the- original metal fan of WoN/VGC, as well as the one who turned me on to it with "Realm of the Soulless" by Sad Legend, "Baldurs Tod" by Falkenbach, and "In Death's Embrace" by Dimmu Borgir. Then you went ahead and sent me the Smurfs theme song. Ha. That was, what... six years ago? Good memory have I!

Quoting Richaod:

Surely you prefer a metal trend to a mainstream pop trend?

No.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

omg, I wuz listening 2 Blind Guardian and Rhapsody and Iced Earth b4 u all were even born!!!1

Posted by netman

hi ive listened to metal for years all you kids are being trendy and cant appreciate it as much as me despite the fact people got me into metal as well.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Raptor: No.

So obviously you prefer your own sense of individuality to letting others listen to good music. Rather selfish, I think.

btw, well said, netty.

Posted by William

Just because a band is not "real" doesn't mean one cannot enjoy listening to it.

And I was under the impression that "hair music" was also called "hair metal"? Isn't there a "metal" in that?

And some of you are so ****ing ridiculously stupid. I mean come the **** on. WHO CARES ABOUT TRENDS AND SO FORTH!? Stop *****ing about it. Personally, I listen to what I enjoy listening to. Just because I found a new genre of music that I enjoy listening to and others listen to it, doesn't mean I'm a ****ing bandwagoner.

Get your heads out of your asses please.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Richaod: So obviously you prefer your own sense of individuality to letting others listen to good music. Rather selfish, I think.

Oh, call me crazy, but there's a certain satisfaction achieved by listening to music that isn't being whored out like the company truck. I'm not at all afraid to admit to that. Not to mention, it's entertaining to mock trends which seem to be the real basis for entire cliques and even friendships.

Quoting William: Just because a band is not "real" doesn't mean one cannot enjoy listening to it.

huh.

[quote]And I was under the impression that "hair music" was also called "hair metal"? Isn't there a "metal" in that?

And some of you are so ****ing ridiculously stupid. I mean come the **** on. WHO CARES ABOUT TRENDS AND SO FORTH!? Stop *****ing about it. Personally, I listen to what I enjoy listening to. Just because I found a new genre of music that I enjoy listening to and others listen to it, doesn't mean I'm a ****ing bandwagoner.

Get your heads out of your asses please.

You're the first poster to mention "bandwagoner" in this thread as far as I can see. And I believe we were merely discussing it, not complaining about how everyone else needs to change and stop liking metal.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

hah, you trendwhores

Posted by sabre

Quoting Raptor]Oh, call me crazy, but there's a certain satisfaction achieved by listening to music that isn't being whored out like the company truck. I'm not at all afraid to admit to that.
[quote=Raptor]Not to mention, it's entertaining to mock trends which seem to be the real basis for entire cliques and even friendships.Clique really seems to be the new buzzword, nowadays, huh. Regardless, I really don't think you're in any position to determine what a friendship that doesn't involve you is based on by any means whatsoever - whether both parties do share metal as a common interest or no. I don't exactly consider you the expert on anyone's social life bar your own, especially not when all you've seen of it is interactions over VGC, a far more formal communication center than any instant messenging application.

[quote=Raptor]You're the first poster to mention "bandwagoner" in this thread as far as I can see. And I believe we were merely discussing it, not complaining about how everyone else needs to change and stop liking metal.
[quote=Raptor]I just can't believe how trendyI do consider "trend" and "bandwagon" to be, to a certain extent, synonymous, and I'm quite positive I'm not the only one.

[quote=Philsdad]I seriously wonder how many people here got into metal BEFORE ever coming to VGC?I seriously wonder why anyone should give a crap when people got into metal - just because you discover something later doesn't make you any less of a fan than anyone else.
[/color]

Posted by mis0

Sabre hit it. If music is your entire life, and if someone got into later or whatever because of VGC, does that make them a lesser person? Besides, who cares that I have been listening to Rammstein, Coal Chamber, Disturbed, RHCP, etc, long before I came here?

Trying not to be trendy by listening to less-known bands, or bands that aren't whored shouldn't achieve a greater level of satisfaction, really. Any music, whored out like DT, or more unknown like one of my favourites, Rah Bras, should be a good listen any time. Pink Floyd is one of the most popular bands I've listened to, but the fact that they're popular doesn't stop me from mellowing out to Gilmours psychedelic guitar. Popularity shows that it might be good. In this case, I'd have to agree with Roberto there. My mingling in DT has been nothing but listening pleasure. Popularity doesn't really play into what I like. it shouldn't really, period.

Posted by William

Raptor. What I meant by liking a non-real band was the comment towards "Steel Dragon" not even being a real band. I mean, so what? If I enjoy it, I should be allowed to like it. Besides, what else am I going to call it, real or not? The songs put out are under the name "Steel Dragon".

Also, what I meant by bandwagoning is what Sabre said.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I think if Raptor and Netman started posting how much they love the sound of a guy hitting a bell screaming "Apple Sauce is for Faggots".mp3, it'd become the next big trend, though, defended by "I just found out about them, I'm a huge fan though" (props to Arwon for the actual first reference to that)

Posted by netman

I disagree!

Posted by mis0

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: I think if Raptor and Netman started posting how much they love the sound of a guy hitting a bell screaming "Apple Sauce is for Faggots".mp3, it'd become the next big trend, though, defended by "I just found out about them, I'm a huge fan though" (props to Arwon for the actual first reference to that)

I'd give ya rep for that one, it made me laugh. And it may very be true.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Sabredog]
I don't. I view a "trend" as a current style, and something that is "trendy" is popular among a group. And a bandwagoner, in my perception, is one who subscribes to the trend because so many other people already have. Obviously, connotative definitions vary.

[quote]I seriously wonder why anyone should give a crap when people got into metal - just because you discover something later doesn't make you any less of a fan than anyone else.
[/color]

Oh, it started out as nothing more than an innocent discussion between Philsdad and I about when I first got into metal. And I do respect him for being one of the first metal fans around this place, for discovering the music on his own and passing it along. I respect Corrupt for discovering electronica himself and more or less introducing trance to VGC. I respect Neil Cicierega for founding the fanimutation style. I respect progenitors, and those who bring something new to the table. Of course people have to overreact to the slightest possibility that I may be hinting that I think some fans here are less worthy of respect than others based on when they first got into music. I'm positive there are more than a few members around here who submit to trends just to be "cool," which I do find quite mock-worthy, but I am not accusing anyone. Get a grip.

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: I think if Raptor and Netman started posting how much they love the sound of a guy hitting a bell screaming "Apple Sauce is for Faggots".mp3, it'd become the next big trend, though, defended by "I just found out about them, I'm a huge fan though" (props to Arwon for the actual first reference to that)

Ha.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I would like to point out at this juncture that Gamma Ray is easy to make fun of but still rocks

Posted by sabre

[quote=Raptor]He doesn't just disapprove of it, he disapproves of it tremendously!Oh how silly of me. What was I thinking using an adverb? No, really, what on earth was that comment supposed to be? There was nothing wrong with the word I used: "[url=http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=tremendously&x=0&y=0]2 a : notable by reason of extreme ... power, ... often used as a generalized term of approval[/url]" which is precisely what I meant (only, in this case, disapproval). Perhaps if you'd care to tell me what you were getting at.

[quote=Raptor]Thankfully, I don't believe I personally know anyone, including myself, that dislikes a band simply because of their popularity.It was implied that you find music which isn't, as you say, "whored out" to be more satisfying than music that isn't quite so broadly listened to. Therefore, it's safe to say you lose satisfaction with a band as it popularity decreases. So maybe you don't totally dislike them, but you certainly said you don't like them as much when they're popular, which is less extreme but still amounts to the same basic notion of music being more enjoyable when it's less acknowledged.

[quote=Raptor]I don't. I view a "trend" as a current style, and something that is "trendy" is popular among a group. And a bandwagoner, in my perception, is one who subscribes to the trend because so many other people already have. Obviously, connotative definitions vary.So a bandwagon by your definition is just a trend to which people suscribe purely because other people have joined it. It's quite easy to accuse a pure trend of being a bandwagon, or vice-versa - it's really quite a blurred line. If one person in two-hundred is following a trend purely because it has many other followers, is it still a bandwagon? The two can easily be interchanged without corrupting the sentence's original meaning much. Besides, trendwhore is pretty much synonymous with bandwagonner, so they can't be a far cry from each other.

[quote=Raptor]Oh, it started out as nothing more than an innocent discussion between Philsdad and I about when I first got into metal. And I do respect him for being one of the first metal fans around this place, for discovering the music on his own and passing it along. I respect Corrupt for discovering electronica himself and more or less introducing trance to VGC. I respect Neil Cicierega for founding the fanimutation style. I respect progenitors, and those who bring something new to the table.I can understand respecting someone for founding something entirely new, but just having been the first fan of something to register at a message board isn't exactly impressive, and I don't see why it would rank them superior in the least to someone who became a fan and explored the genre later than the first. I'm certain that Corrupt or Philsdad discovered their favourite music genres through word of mouth or hearing it on the radio or something to the effect, which is no different to what people have done here -- unless you mean to imply they were the first people in the world to do so, which would be extremely foolhardy to assume.

[quote=Raptor]Of course people have to overreact to the slightest possibility that I may be hinting that I think some fans here are less worthy of respect than others based on when they first got into music. ... I am not accusing anyone. Get a grip.And I wasn't accusing you of accusing anyone. That particular paragraph you quoted was addressed to Philsdad. Nonetheless, if someone disagrees with you very much, they're going to react. Especially when it looks like you're undermining them at the same time: it's a pretty simple principle. And, if deciding to state it in a lengthy post to ensure fluency and fullness of argument instead of just devoting a line or two to a throwaway quip is overreacting, then yes, I overreacted. I rather think that it makes some amount of sense to take the time to make yourself clear in the circumstances, however. I merely addressed everything I considered to be out of order, and stated precisely why. Surely, you'd do no different yourself, if you disagreed with many points (some of which may be insinuated, but nonetheless present) in a thread, than to leave your response with as much clarity as possible.

Posted by Raptor

[QUOTE=Sabredog][font=georgia][color=#ccff00]Oh how silly of me. What was I thinking using an adverb? No, really, what on earth was that comment supposed to be? There was nothing wrong with the word I used: "[url=http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=tremendously&x=0&y=0]2 a : notable by reason of extreme ... power, ... often used as a generalized term of approval[/url]" which is precisely what I meant (only, in this case, disapproval). Perhaps if you'd care to tell me what you were getting at.

Just a reference to your circumlocutory typing style, though it may also have been applied more elsewhere, I simply quite rather think. I'm amazed that alone got an entire paragraph out of you.

[quote]It was implied that you find music which isn't, as you say, "whored out" to be more satisfying than music that isn't quite so broadly listened to. Therefore, it's safe to say you lose satisfaction with a band as it popularity decreases. So maybe you don't totally dislike them, but you certainly said you don't like them as much when they're popular, which is less extreme but still amounts to the same basic notion of music being more enjoyable when it's less acknowledged.

No, it isn't safe to say that. I enjoy the feeling of listening to a particular song that I am fairly assured isn't being heavily discussed or listened to by many people, as it just seems like a more "pure" experience. It also represents something fresh I can introduce for discussion that hasn't been introduced already and develop a viewpoint on that probably isn't shared by many others. It's difficult to explain, but it has nothing to do with, "I am more unique than you because I listen to a group you've never heard of, so ha." Honestly, I've often wished Alice in Chains were more popular than they were. I would have wanted them to be more popular than Nirvana, whom I never cared much for because their music didn't do much for me, not because they were so popular. If I didn't want the music I listened to becoming popular, I wouldn't generate a 4,000-file winamp playlist and post a link to it here.

[quote]So a bandwagon by your definition is just a trend to which people suscribe purely because other people have joined it. It's quite easy to accuse a pure trend of being a bandwagon, or vice-versa - it's really quite a blurred line. If one person in two-hundred is following a trend purely because it has many other followers, is it still a bandwagon? The two can easily be interchanged without corrupting the sentence's original meaning much.

Yup, that's the way I see it.

[quote]Besides, trendwhore is pretty much synonymous with bandwagonner, so they can't be a far cry from each other.

I was contrasting "trend" and "bandwagoner," not "trendwhore" and "bandwagoner."

[quote]I can understand respecting someone for founding something entirely new, but just having been the first fan of something to register at a message board isn't exactly impressive, and I don't see why it would rank them superior in the least to someone who became a fan and explored the genre later than the first. I'm certain that Corrupt or Philsdad discovered their favourite music genres through word of mouth or hearing it on the radio or something to the effect, which is no different to what people have done here -- unless you mean to imply they were the first people in the world to do so, which would be extremely foolhardy to assume.

I respect individuals who spark trends, deliberately or not, as I would have to wonder whether the subject in question would be popular or known to many if it weren't for them. It has nothing to do with superiority.

Posted by sabre

[QUOTE=Raptor]Just a reference to your circumlocutory typing style, though it may also have been applied more elsewhere, I simply quite rather think. I'm amazed that alone got an entire paragraph out of you.Odd. I'd noticed that my typing style feels rather uncomfortable and cumbersome, but I'd never been able to put my finger on why... and that might quite possibly be what's causing it right there. I really don't like it, it makes me feel as though I'm rambling or making little sense - I'll try to cut down on it in future, as not only does it irk me, but apparently it's noticable by other people who read my posts.

[quote=Raptor]No, it isn't safe to say that. I enjoy the feeling of listening to a particular song that I am fairly assured isn't being heavily discussed or listened to by many people, as it just seems like a more "pure" experience. It also represents something fresh I can introduce for discussion that hasn't been introduced already and develop a viewpoint on that probably isn't shared by many others.Yeah, I can see the sense in that. Thanks for the elaboration; I was reading it as saying "music is better when less people have heard it." I don't really get the same sort of feeling, personally. I find the satisfaction to come more from spreading a song I love to someone new to discuss it with them, share it with them, and enjoy it with them... and I've not yet run low on either people to share with or songs to be shared.

[quote=Raptor]I was contrasting "trend" and "bandwagoner," not "trendwhore" and "bandwagoner."I was contrasting "trend" and "bandwagon," not "trend" and "bandwagonner." The trendwhore and bandwagonner paralell was to reinforce that there was probably some connection. Trend is to trendwhore as bandwagon is to bandwagonner, or whatever.

Posted by Lazy Guitar

Quoting Skitzo Control: Whoever said Motler Crue as one of the greatest metal bands needs to die, and soon. The Crue is not a metal band, they're a hair band, much like Skid Row and Poison and Scorpions.
Metal-Archives disagrees!

[color=skyblue]Sure that's probably based on the Generation Swine album, but what the hell, they still rock y

Posted by sephiroth_theunborn

I know where Skitzo Control is coming from thats how alot of the bands then where big hair and wearing make-up more then any other females out there but lots of there music was good. But I have heared some of Motley Crue new music and I got to say I like it a lot better then there old stuff but I listen to there old and new stuff any day and posion is great they had alot of kick A$$ songs before Axle Rose recast the band and started to redo alot of there old songs.