To anyone who actually knows stuff about film-making...

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Everyone knows what actors do. Everyone knows what directors do. Hell, even camera-operators have a defined purpose. And I also know what the production company (Universal, Dimension).

But what the heck does a producer do? Specifically, what does the producer do that isn't done by someone else? You always see their name in big print, as if they do something really big, but it's not like they direct the film or anything. So what do they do?

Feion

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

they gather the money for the production of the movie, if I understand it correctly. They finance the movie, and oftentimes put a great deal of their own money on the line for the movie.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

A producer is someone who controls the finances, publci presentation, and oversees the creation of the film. Think of them as the manufacturer.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I still don't get it. I mean, the Production Company finanaces the movie. They provide the money to shoot it and edit and promote and all that.

And what do you mean "oversees the production"? Doesn't the director do that? Does the producer just provide a second opinion?

Feion

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Bump. I really want an answer to my question.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: still don't get it. I mean, the Production Company finanaces the movie. They provide the money to shoot it and edit and promote and all that.

Controlling finances and providing finances are two different things.

Quoted post: And what do you mean "oversees the production"? Doesn't the director do that? Does the producer just provide a second opinion?

The director makes the movie with his image, the producer makes sure the public will enjoy his image. So yeah, it's sorta like a second opinion.

Posted by Dexter

http://www.dvhandbook.com/index.php?p=29

People ask me this question all the time.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

conan o'brien said that when he was a producer for "the simpsons" (a producer for some episodes, a writer for others), it basically meant he was a co-writer with the person who wrote the actual script.