Braces.

Posted by maian

Ugh, so I got braces on Thursday, and quite frankly, they suck. >_< My teeth have been aching and sore for the last four days, and when they're not, the brackets cut up the tissue in my mouth. I can't eat anything that has any solidity, nor bite into anything. Whenever I close my teeth together, it brings immense pain. =/

I'm sure most of you have, but who here has gotten braces? Strange topic, but I found it fitting.

Posted by KoH

I needed braces... but never got them. I instead went with an alternative method of "teeth gaps." They're little rubber things that fit around the teeth that are 'gapped' and they slowly pull them closer. Takes a few months but the things are somewhat unnoticeble and worked for me.

But hey, being a brace face isn't that bad.

Posted by Dexter

I wish I had braces when I was younger. I think my teeth would look a little better if I had, but maybe not. I've always had decent teeth, especially compared to my sisters. I don't think I would have minded some simple braces for about a year, possibly at age 12 or 13. I've always been active with the dentist, but he never recommended them. I need to make another visit to the dentist. It has been almost 9 months and I'm used to visiting about every 6 months.

I want pictures so I can see how braces look on you. How long must you keep them, maian?

Posted by maian

Not that long, fortunately. One and a half to two years.

I don't mind at all how I look with them, but for now, my mouth hurts all over. =/ The pain will reside, but, eh. I'll take pictures. :-*

Posted by Axis

I got mine on in March and I had the same troubles as you. My gum tissues got cut up, and it was impossible to eat anything. It's going to be troublesome for a few more days, but after a week you can start eating stuff. A week after I got mine I was actually able to eat a burger. Now I can eat anything out there. Biggest problem I have with mine is cleaning them, don't eat bread too much because they're a huge pain in the *** to get out. Oh, and for the gum tissues, after about a week or two it doesn't become a problem anymore. I only have to keep mine on for 14-18 months. :D

Posted by Sable Wind

I never had that much trouble with braces. Honestly, you're blowing it up. They're really not that bad.

I've had things in and out of my mouth since I was eight or nine. In fact, when they started figuring out why my mouth was so screwed up, they discovered I needed a tonsilectomy so I could breathe correctly. Then braces ensued, yadda yadda. However, just last year I finally had the suckers removed.

So yay.

Posted by The Judge

My teeth are crooked, but I never got braces. Go figure.

Posted by Dog

i had braces, but for only 6 months.

Posted by Speedfreak

Whatever you do don't eat anything that'll screw them up, like whole carrots or toffee. It'll just make you need them several months longer.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Sable Wind:

I've had things in and out of my mouth since I was eight or nine

anyway, if it makes you guys feel better, my teeth are flawless.

Posted by Mystic Hero

I never had braces since most people told me that I didn't need them. My teeth are croocked a little in some areas, but it's not so bad that I absolutely must get braces.

Posted by brownoystercult

I have braces on right now.

In about 2/3 months, you'll be chewing gum, and eating popcorn. It'll only be sore after every month you have to tighten them. After about a year, even the tightening shouldn't bother you.

Posted by Ant

jajajajajaja

It's not big deal after awhile :) And once you get them off, you can look forward to feeling your teeth again! SUPER SMOOTH!

Posted by maian

[QUOTE]jajajajajaja

rofl

Yeah, I know I'll get used to them, but for the time being, it's annoying. B) Right now though, it's kinda nice, only being able to eat smoothies, ice cream, and soup.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I have chipped teeth, slightly crowded teeth, and one that came in slightly sideways. The awesome part is that none of it is really all that noticeable since (a) I tend not to smile with my teeth (makes me feel like a goofy bastard and just doesnt feel normal) and (b) the problem areas are off to the side a bit.

If anything, I'd rather get the chipping fixed first. Fighting has it draw backs.:(

Also,

[quote]I've had things in and out of my mouth since I was eight or nine

That made me lol harder than anything in recent memory. Was that intentional, or were you jsut 'tarded for a second?

Posted by Raptor

People are so easily amused and awe-inspired these days. Like so many other things about me, my teeth have always been perfect.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: anyway, if it makes you guys feel better, my teeth are flawless.

What this guy said.

Sucks to you though. I'd never want them, and I always found it odd when people said "oh boy I wish I had braces!".

Posted by Lord of Spam

I dont want braces, but I wouldnt mind the cosmetic improvement they bring.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I dont want braces, but I wouldnt mind the cosmetic improvement they bring.

That I understand. But otherwise, no.

Posted by Zeta

No one has stooped low enough to call maian 'brace-face' or some other childish name yet? I am dissapointed.

Posted by Linko_16

I had braces. Didn't like them. But, whatever, I don't regret it now.

Train-Track Teeth.

Posted by Zeta

I am even more dissapointed that it was Linko that stooped that low...maian is a metal-mouth lolz

Posted by Dog

if you get silver braces, it would be like you had grillz, and you get to feel like a rappa.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Holy ****, if I could get a mad fly grill I'd gladly have them put in.

Posted by Sable Wind

[quote=Lord of Spam]That made me lol harder than anything in recent memory. Was that intentional, or were you jsut 'tarded for a second?

I guess I was. I wasn't thinking in those terms when I said it, but reading it now... oops. :o

Posted by Alastor

Quoting Zeta: No one has stooped low enough to call maian 'brace-face' or some other childish name yet? I am dissapointed.

Quoting KoH: But hey, being a brace face isn't that bad.

Sure, it was indirect, but it counts. :mad:

My mom talked about me needing then when I was like twelve, and didn't speak another word about it until last month. I don't really need them. I've got a couple of crooked teeth that are barely noticeable. The only noticeable problem is a pretty small gap I've got right up front, but I could live with it.

Posted by Dreadnought

Well, you'll need it, won't you?

I have braces. They ****ing suck. Every time they tighten them I spend a week in bleeding agony.

Then again, my dentist does wear Freddy Krueger gloves.

Posted by keyartist

I never had them, but braces on a woman are for some reason really hot.

Posted by Aesthetic

I was supposed to get them when I was around the age of 13, but only because of my overbite. Other than that, my teeth are pretty decent. I wouldn't have minded getting them, but I guess I should be happy that I was never in a situation where they would've been necessary, as the only reason why I didn't get them when they were recommended was because we didn't have the money. Eh, I like my smile.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Alastor: Sure, it was indirect, but it counts. :mad:

oh shi- didn't see that. :(

Posted by GameMiestro

Braces hurt like heck, and make you sound stupid. It's even worse when they make you put rubber bands in your mouth.

Posted by Klarth

Was meant to get them, now we don't have any money. Whoo.

Posted by maian

Well, they stopped hurting a while ago, and yes, I can eat pretty much anything. I hardly notice them anymore, but I have this stange paranoia of one of my brackets coming out while I eat. =/

But yeah, gotta get them tightened in three or so weeks. I don't look foward to it. :)

Posted by Dexter

Do we get some pictures? Let's have some before braces, then with braces, then more again later on after braces. :)

Posted by Linko_16

Ha, I remember making excuses about not needing braces because I didn't want them. When I got them off, though, the orthodontist gave me "before" and "after" pictures among all the other little gifts... and I did a double take looking back at how awful my teeth used to be!