Sadness: Interesting Wii game by small developer

Posted by Madame Flurrie

Has anyone heard about [url=http://revolution.ign.com/objects/816/816122.html]Sadness?[/url]

It's currently a work-in-progress for the Wii by a small European developer called [url=http://www.nibris.net/]Nibris.[/url] So far, there hasn't been much information about it, but this is what has been mentioned:

-The game is a period piece, taking place before the first World War.
-It's entirely in black and white as a stylistic choice.
-It's a "gothic horror", possibly in the style of Eternal Darkness: instead of providing jump-out-of-your-skin scares with zombies crashing through walls, it relies more on psychological aspects and atmosphere to instill fear.
-You have to get creative. Instead of shooting down or hacking away at enemies, you'll be using ordinary items you pick up along the way and you'll make use of the Wii controller's unique functions. For example, pick up piece of glass and make a cutting motion with the controller to slit a person's throat, or swing a torch by swinging the controller.
-It will more than likely be a "T" or "M" rated title as Nibris is insisting that it's not for faint of heart.

I'm very excited about this because I love adventure-style games and I loved Eternal Darkness. Not to menion, the style and gameplay tidbits Nibris has released make this game seem like it will be a very fresh, interesting experience.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Madame Flurrie: For example, pick up piece of glass and make a cutting motion with the controller to slit a person's throat, or swing a torch by swinging the controller.

Ahh, so basically we are going to be trained killing machines by the games completion? ;)

Posted by Zeta

I heard about this a few days ago, but the title sounded emo, so I didn't look into it.

Posted by GameMiestro

I can see the game's instruction manual now: "To slice an enemy with a piece of glass, make sure the sharp end is facing away from you. Move your arm rapidly side to side, making sure you are slicing horizontally. The wrists and/or neck make excellent targets."

Emo game, if you ask me.

Posted by Lord of Spam

It sounds interesting. I've never been to big a fan of RE stlye games that suprise rather than scare. This is something I'll probably either rent or wait until I can see a friend playing it before I try it out.

Posted by Moogs

The title is so emo. I eat emos for breakfast. So, I guess I'll buy the game. Then eat it. After I play, unless it doesn't suck. Then, Ill ignore the title.

Posted by GameMiestro

Nice art though... heck, this could work, but I doubt that this will be the final title.

Posted by Klarth

Nibris have already stated that it's the final title.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

When did it become canonical that everything to do with 'sadness' was emo? Did the emotion not exist before whiney teenagers donned black make-up and listened to pop-punk?

:(

[SIZE="1"]^ emo[/SIZE]

Posted by s0ul

Yeah, I really don't mind the title, it's not like it's called "I Hate Myself and I Want to Die"

Posted by Klarth

Or "Crawling In My Skin".

I'll probably pick this up at launch. Film noir game? Hmm!

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting s0ul: Yeah, I really don't mind the title, it's not like it's called "I Hate Myself and I Want to Die"

I thought "Untitled" would fit perfectly.

Posted by Moogs

I hate that song...

Anyways, the game does look good. I just don't like the title. Slit.

Posted by Speedfreak

Heh, I like how the developers are total fanboys.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

yeah, the title is fine. Sadness doesn't equate to emo. Never really has. Since, you know, we would all be emos eventually in our lives.

Anywho, the game sounds pretty great. I like the style their going for, it's nice to know that there's going to be even more mature games on the Wii.

Posted by Speedfreak

I like the name, it's ambiguious. "Eternal Darkness" sounded far too obvious and corny for my tastes. JUst as well, though, I thought the game was pants.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Quoting Klarth: Or "Crawling In My Skin".

#these wouuunds require eilixiiiiiir#

This looks quite good. I've said before - I'll most likely end up buying all of the Wii launch games, and every single game thereafter, for about a month, simply because I can't get enough of the new genres. Or new twists on existing genres.

The [url=http://www.nibris.net/]website[/url] gives a 2007 release date, as well as sone lovely badly-translated text.

"This gothic horror (atmosphere) is not a game of the action."

To me, it looks like Silent Hill, Killer 7, and Eternal Darkness rolled into one with a load of new ideas sprinkled on top for good measure.

Posted by coromoro

I am very curious as to how this game will turn out. :cool:

Posted by Linko_16

This could be the most awesome thing in the world, or just really dumb. Hard to say now.

Sounds like Nintendo's style, though: stuff that is technically quite innovative, but it's hard to tell at this point whether it'll be riveting or just lame. I can't wait to try it.

Posted by G-Sides

You owe me two farthings says the bells of St. Martin's. =-O

I'm checking this out. I've always been big on the more bizarre, nongeneric horror games.

Posted by TendoAddict

[quote]It's a "gothic horror", possibly in the style of Eternal Darkness: instead of providing jump-out-of-your-skin scares with zombies crashing through walls, it relies more on psychological aspects and atmosphere to instill fear.

I like this. Im tired of the knee jerk scares Scary videogames over do. They never really "Scare" Me , just surprise me. Its like a 2 second spook then a "oh is that it?" and then the whole things over. Hardly deep

I want a scary game that played games with you like some parts of Resident Evil 4 did. Like the part in the sewer were you go down the hall and a running noise comes right to you but its nothing. In the end you wasted a good deal of ammo on nothing and you were freaked out of a good time after.

Wii's controll can make scary moments like this last forever. If you are truely afraid your preformance will be affected. Something that can make the Wii Revolutionary. I just hope these guys do a good job.

Quoting TendoAddict: Something that can me Wii Revolutionary.

All your posts are gems, seriously.

Quoted post: Like the Part in the sewer were you go down the hall and a running noise comes right to you but its nothing. In the end you wasted a good deal of ammo on nothing and you were freaked out of a good time after.

Didn't that end up just being one of those invisible bugs?

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Wings: All your posts are gems, seriously.

Typo's and Misused words on a post are like dirt on a Car.

If a Ferrari has dirt on it does it make it a bad car?

No, it just needs a cleaning.

Oh and by the way, are you going to fallow up all my post's with witty reporte?

just like to know.

---
Edit:

[quote]Didn't that end up just being one of those invisible bugs?

It sounded like one and it probably was. But you never saw it and the running sound just kept coming. Freaks you out. The first bugs are actually in a pit around the corner.

Interesting analogy. I would say that they were more like flies on turds - all the flies are doing is obscuring something not worth looking at in the first place.

And to be honest, if your posts don't make sense, I'm going to insult you until you get it right. That's how we do things round here, bby.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Wings: Interesting analogy. I would say that they were more like flies on turds - all the flies are doing is obscuring something not worth looking at in the first place.

And to be honest, if your posts don't make sense, I'm going to insult you until you get it right. That's how we do things round here, bby.

Hmmm,
Im sure Ill get it "Right" soon enough.

Just be glad that Im willing to learn ;)

Posted by Bebop

It does sound alot like Eteranl Darkness so I'm going to moniter this little game.

I like the idea of a torch. I imagine walking through dark corridor using the controller to guide a candle and consiquently your path.

Posted by Drewboy64

Nibris is also working on a DS and Rev version of Raid over River, a shooter. Although they say they aren't focusing as much on the Rev version right now.

http://media.revolution.ign.com/media/816/816122/imgs_1.html

Images from the trailer.

There's a trailer now?

Not for the public right not it seems. It'll probably debut at E3.

Hm. Is that live action FMV?

No clue. 404'd. Though it looks like it...