i'm a big pretentious twat

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

So I'm currently reading both Memoirs of a Geisha and the Da Vinci Code at the same time. Is it me, or does it seem that in order to be a best seller in this modern world, you have to be completely unable to write?

Posted by Klarth

Da Vinci Code was awful, but I still couldn't put it down. I haven't read Memoirs of a Geisha yet.

Have you read any other of Dan Brown's books, btw? Angels And Demons was actually good.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Klarth: Da Vinci Code was awful, but I still couldn't put it down. I haven't read Memoirs of a Geisha yet.

Have you read any other of Dan Brown's books, btw? Angels And Demons was actually good.

Quoted for truth.

Wasn't Memoirs of a Geisha a book long before it was a film?

Yes, it was. Apparently, though, it's nothing like the actual diaries it was based on.

And in the copy of the Da Vinci Code I have (which I just this second finished), there's a preview of Angels and Demons in the back. I might pick it up from a charity shop or something if I see it. I was not at all impressed with his writing style. I think it's probably because he's both a non-fiction and a fiction author - the tones get mixed up.

Posted by Yonaka

I liked 'Memoirs of a Geisha'. I just read it not too long ago. I'm thinking about reading 'The Da Vinci Code'. One of my friends said it was pretty good. Besides with all the publicity for it, I can't help but be compelled to read it.

About the writing style thing. One of my friends doesn't like a few of my stories because of my style. It all depends on the individual reader. A ton of other people love my writings and say to get them published which I shall do whenever I get them finished. I might post a chapter or two on here sometime. Do you guys think I should?

Well, that's partly what the board is for.

To be honest, I'm liking Memoirs more and more.

Posted by Yonaka

I loved the ending. What page are you on?

Just started chapter 22, which in my crappy paperback with bible-thin pages and no margin is page 254. She's just about to go to the gathering with the Baron, and her older sister's warned her not to lose her virginity there or there won't be any chance of a bidding war with the doctor and the sumo fan.

Highlight for spoiler, even though you can probably read it anyway.

Posted by Linko_16

I sort of liked Da Vinci code. An enormous strech, but quite clever all the same.

Posted by Yonaka

Oh yes. The Baron is very naughty. I almost decided to spoil it for you, but I won't. Let's just say the bidding was won't between who you expect. And the sumo fan is Nobu. It was a very good book, but in a few chapters something shall happen that Mameha isn't going to be too happy about... Oh how I love to foreshadow.

Wow. You just gave me enough information to predict the next few chapters with astonishing accuracy.

Naughty.

Posted by Yonaka

Are you sure about that? Read on, read on. Trust me, you won't be able to tell.

My guess:

[spoiler]The Baron rapes Sayuri, and Mameha blames it on her.[/spoiler]

Posted by Sable Wind

I liked Memoirs. :( Not the movie though.

Posted by Yonaka

I want to see the movie. It may not be good but I still wanna see it. It was a very good book to be sure. Extremely good. Loved the ending.