Sony Price Cuts

Posted by Xqars

The Sony PlayStation 2 has had its price drop from $150 to $130. The PlayStation Portable has a new core system for $200. Not big news, but its a chance for some people to buy the PSP now that its not so expensive.

Posted by Linko_16

That's starting to look a bit more attractive to me. I really want to play Mega Man Powered Up.

Posted by Speedfreak

A token effort to not look like total bastards. It's still more expensive than Gamecube and Xbox.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Speedfreak: A token effort to not look like total bastards. It's still more expensive than Gamecube and Xbox.

They are total bastards. The core system has been out in Japan for 200$ and they release it now.

Posted by Unite

Nice to see the price drop for people who haven't bought one yet.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Why is this in GGC?

Anywho, I'd actually buy the PSP now just for the new Guilty Gear. So the price drop is a very good thing.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

As far as I know, the PS2 and Xbox are nearly the same price, here. I didn't see the PSP bundle when I was out today, but regardless, I think I'll wait a bit longer on that. At least they finally did it.

Posted by GameMiestro

Doesn't really affect me, but it's nice to hear.

Posted by Xqars

Quoting Vampiro: Why is this in GGC?

I thought about putting it in PlayStation but it also involved PSP. I just put it in GGC because I didn't think it would matter that much. Sorry, someone can move it if they want.

Posted by Echo

Since this concerns more than 1 system, it wouldn't fit in either the PS2 or PSP boards, so this should be the best place.

The PS2 price drop is fairly insignificant, especially since it's been out for so long most people who want one have one and it's STILL more than a GCN. And the PSP price drop seems more like a spit in the face than anything, because $200 for the core system is still expensive. As has been stated, they're total bastards.

Posted by gamerz

sony shouldnt even bother making a second psp, it's obviously failing to the ds. And this isn't help sony's finanacial problems either. At this point I would be surprised if they team up with microslop to help out at a later date, and even if they do, microsloth will just end up screwing em over, just like they did with: Winzip, sega, Apple (compare the old macs desktop to that of windows 93) and a few others.

Quoted post: Since this concerns more than 1 system, it wouldn't fit in either the PS2 or PSP boards, so this should be the best place.

Yeah, forgot there was a PSP board :)

Posted by Keael

Really! That's great, I was planning on purchasing a PSP soon. Good, good news...

Posted by Random

The PSP will have to drop about $50 more before I spend the money for one and the PS2 can drop to a $9.99 bin and I probably wouldn't pick one up.

PS2's breaking agrivate me >:O

Sorry.. Bad experiences..

I want a PSP but it seems to be fading away...

Posted by Crazy K

I don't care to much for the PSP, truly to expensive for me. I hear a lot of guys in my school saying "yeah I want a PSP cause its so cool" then I say well whats cool about it right now? It costs to much and does not have a lot of great games. I did hear there will be a lot of new hope for the PSP, but I still won't bother with it.

But anyways it is great that it cut its price, same goes for the PS2.

Posted by Keael

Quoting SomebodyRandom: I want a PSP but it seems to be fading away...

In what aspect? Developer support, popularity, your interest or something else?

Posted by Last Fog

I heard a rumor that the PS3 is announced to be only $400 ... cheaper than expected. I dont know if I believe it.

Source? Because I highly doubt it. It'll be a huge blow to Sony if they release it so cheap. Sure it may appeal to more people, but they'll be losing around $400 per sale.

Posted by Random

Quoting Last Fog: I heard a rumor that the PS3 is announced to be only $400 ... cheaper than expected. I dont know if I believe it.

It's possible but highly unlikely. The way it is it costs Sony $900 to build a single PS3. I highly doubt they're wanting to go and lose $500 per console. now by the time it is released it won't cost quite as high as $900 per console. But to make up for losing $500 they'd have to sell a lot of accessories and games. I'd say the PS3 will come out with a solid price of $599.99. Just guessing. Nothings for sure right now.

Posted by Keael

How exactly are they planning on gaining profit with the PS3?

Posted by Random

I don't think they're looking so much of the short term as they are the long term. A few years down the road they maybe breaking even on the PS3 system but they'll be gaining money with games and accessories. They make a lot of money on Accessories and Games. Or I should say thats where a majority of their money comes from. The system itself they expect to lose money on for at least a while. If they didn't lose money on the system who would buy a PS3 for $900? I probably wouldn't spend anymore than $400 for the system. However selling it for $400 right off the bat would probably kill the company.

$500 loss per unit... Sell a million units would be 500 million dollar loss.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Indeed. And hopefully they won't have any software that'll sell a million copies for about a year, like with the ps2.

Posted by Random

I'm not really sure how well the PS3 will launch off the ground. It depends on how much party support they get from developers. I see Wii being very innovative and very successful. I really think Wii will easily outsell what the Gamecube did. And I see the XBox 360 as something popular, not quite as popular as the PS3 but also cheaper and gaining a lot of developer support. I think if Microsoft manages to get more games like Resident Evil 5, Phantasy Star Universe, Smackdown vs Raw 2007 games that Microsoft didn't have before and they gain more, it'll in return hurt Sony sale wise especially if it's over priced. I'm waiting to see what Square-Enix and Rockstar games do. If they jump on board mainly with Microsoft and Sony both then I think that'd be a blow to Sony.

Don't misunderstand me I think Sony will outsell both again. Sony has such a fan base it's rediculous it seems.

Pretty sure Sony CAN'T recover. It takes a normal console about three years to start seeing a profit, and that's when it's losing about $150 per. So unless they plan on leaving the PS3 out on the market for upwards of ten years, I doubt it'll ever profit. Sony will just have to take the loss probably.

I would be the first to laugh uproariously at sony's misfortune if the ps3 just drove them into the ground and caused the demise of sony computer entertainment at the hands of the parent company's shareholders and board of directors, but really all I'll ask for is a leveling of the playing field. No company as poor at making video games as sce should be as respected in the industry as they are, and no company as good at making games as Nintendo should be dismissed without a glance by most consumers.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Prince Shondronai: I would be the first to laugh uproariously at sony's misfortune if the ps3 just drove them into the ground and caused the demise of sony computer entertainment at the hands of the parent company's shareholders and board of directors, but really all I'll ask for is a leveling of the playing field. No company as poor at making video games as sce should be as respected in the industry as they are, and no company as good at making games as Nintendo should be dismissed without a glance by most consumers.
Who cares how good they are at making games. Sony has great third party support, and Nintendo has next to nothing at this point, so first party titles dont make a difference in the big picture. When are people gonna understand thats why Sony's consoles sell better. It's pretty obvious.

Regardless though, this generation Nintendo hasn't shown much anyway, and really if I had to choose I'd say SCEA has a better lineup of first party titles.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Last Fog: Who cares how good they are at making games.

Because being able to make good games has nothing to do with the Video game industry.

[quote]Sony has great third party support, and Nintendo has next to nothing at this point

This generation yes, but if you reasearched the Wii has an impressive line up of third party's. A lot of companies are taking interest in the Wii

[quote] So first party titles dont make a difference in the big picture.

Uh hello?

Have you ever seen the mad rush when a New Nintendo game comes out? Do you even know how many people pre ordered Wind Waker? Do you know how much hype is behind Twilight Princess?

They make a difference.

[quote]When are people gonna understand thats why Sony's consoles sell better. It's pretty obvious.

Yeah because the PSP sold better then the DS. Oh wait...

Ofcourse they sell better, but they dont make Sony any money.

Thats what were talking about, Sonys stability when they loose money off each system.

If the trend keeps on going sony might me SOL.

[quote]Regardless though, this generation Nintendo hasn't shown much anyway, and really if I had to choose I'd say SCEA has a better lineup of first party titles.

Opinions are fun.

Quoting Last Fog: Sony has great third party support, and Nintendo has next to nothing at this point...

And now you see my long-standing problem with the industry. Your (possibly ill-informed) opinion notwithstanding, I don't think that a Titus-level game developer should rise to popularity on the shoulders of better developers, let alone be allowed to have any measure of control over what happens in the industry. The weak should die, the strong should flourish, and the mediocre should stay in the bargain bins where they belong.

As for your opinion, are you basing that off of experience playing GAMECUBE and ps2 games, or just looking at GAMECUBE games on store shelves and in magazine articles?

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting TendoAddict: Because being able to make good games has nothing to do with the Video game industry. Of course it does, but a company needs more than just first party products on their own consoles.

[quote]This generation yes, but if you reasearched the Wii has an impressive line up of third party's. A lot of companies are taking interest in the Wii Just like companies took interest in gamecube at the start. Remember the Capcom 5 and their promise of exclusivenss to Nintendo? Oops! They changed their minds! And Rareware, Silicon Knights, where have you gone! Oh yeah, to Microsoft. Only time will tell if the trend continues.

[quote]Uh hello?

Have you ever seen the mad rush when a New Nintendo game comes out? Do you even know how many people pre ordered Wind Waker? Do you know how much hype is behind Twilight Princess?

They make a difference.Uh, hello?

I said big picture. Take away Zelda and gamecube would be in the gutter.

[quote]Yeah because the PSP sold better then the DS. Oh wait...

Ofcourse they sell better, but they dont make Sony any money.

Thats what were talking about, Sonys stability when they loose money off each system.

If the trend keeps on going sony might me SOL.I'm not talking handhelds here. Sure Nintendo does better in that department, they've been the stand alone company in handhelds for years, which is where they make most of their profit.

[quote]Opinions are fun.
They sure are, and you should know, being a fanboy and all.

[quote=Prince Shondronai]And now you see my long-standing problem with the industry. Your (possibly ill-informed) opinion notwithstanding, I don't think that a Titus-level game developer should rise to popularity on the shoulders of better developers, let alone be allowed to have any measure of control over what happens in the industry. The weak should die, the strong should flourish, and the mediocre should stay in the bargain bins where they belong.I agree, but that's not what's happening. So how I see it, Sony right now is the strong, and they are flourishing in terms of sales. Now as for them not gaining any profit, I really dont know, thats another story.

[quote]As for your opinion, are you basing that off of experience playing GAMECUBE and ps2 games, or just looking at GAMECUBE games on store shelves and in magazine articles?Experience, pretty much. Sony has done some good this time around. *** of War is a tremendous game, Shadow of the Collosus, amazing, and for racing fans, Gran Turismo is the best series around.

And Nintendo... hmm... Super Mario Sunshine, Mario party 6,7,8 or whatever, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Kart, Mario Soccer, Mario everything.

I'm getting off topic here, sorry. I know this thread is about price cuts, but in a way its all related.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Last Fog]Who cares how good they are at making games. Sony has great third party support, and Nintendo has next to nothing at this point, so first party titles dont make a difference in the big picture.

HAHAHAHA, not only do the majority of Japanese developers have more interest in Wii, but the majority of American developers have more interest in Xbox 360. Sony just got stripped down.

And 1st party titles don't matter? Um, if I remember correctly pretty DS is kicking PSPs ass almost entirely because of 1st party titles. Sure there are some good 3rd party games, but the majority of killer DS games have been from Nintendo.

You are so ignorant it's hilarious. Do what the rest of us do and base your opinions on facts, not what you and your 3 friends think.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Speedfreak: HAHAHAHA, not only do the majority of Japanese developers have more interest in Wii, but the majority of American developers have more interest in Xbox 360. Sony just got stripped down.Umm, did you read my previous post? You can't judge anything right now because neither Wii or PS3 are anywhere near release. Everything is subject to change, as it did last generation.

[quote]And 1st party titles don't matter? Um, if I remember correctly pretty DS is kicking PSPs ass almost entirely because of 1st party titles. Sure there are some good 3rd party games, but the majority of killer DS games have been from Nintendo.
Actually, they're kicking their *** because they've had control over handheld market for years, having virtually no competition. PSP is Sony's first attempt at handhelds.

Posted by GameMiestro

The "good" games arguement is just opinion. Trying to list which has more "good games" wont work- for example, Last Fog didn't mention Resident Evil 4 or Super Smash Bros Melee. The general consensus is that these are "good games", but since he clearly doesn't think they qualify, any arguement with him that there are plenty of good games for the GameCube cannot possibly change his mind, making his arguement nil and void.

Getting back on topic, if I had some spare cash, I probably would get a Playstation, as I really enjoyed playing Star Wars Battlefront and Call of Duty...

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting GameMiestro: The "good" games arguement is just opinion. Trying to list which has more "good games" wont work- for example, Last Fog didn't mention Resident Evil 4 or Super Smash Bros Melee. The general consensus is that these are "good games", but since he clearly doesn't think they qualify, any arguement with him that there are plenty of good games for the GameCube cannot possibly change his mind, making his arguement nil and void.
Of course it's opinion. And thats all I made it out to be in the first place. But sorry to neglect SSBM I havent played it in 3 years, and RE4 is now on PS2 anyway.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Vampiro: Why is this in GGC?

Anywho, I'd actually buy the PSP now just for the new Guilty Gear. So the price drop is a very good thing.

Don't. The core systems ship with 2.60 firmware, which is totally restrictive for homebrew.

[quote=Last Fog]Umm, did you read my previous post? You can't judge anything right now because neither Wii or PS3 are anywhere near release. Everything is subject to change, as it did last generation.
He can judge all he wants. Developers tend to start supporting a console before it's released, so, well, like, it actually has games when it goes on sale. There's nothing to be judged - What Speedy says is fact.

[quote]Actually, they're kicking their *** because they've had control over handheld market for years, having virtually no competition. PSP is Sony's first attempt at handhelds.
This is true, but it's also ill on Sony's part due to having ****ty first-party games, stupid firmware upgrades and a (relative to the DS) short battery life.

Quoting Keael: How exactly are they planning on gaining profit with the PS3?

By selling the games at $100 each. It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

EDIT: Wow, am I dim. I just triple-posted because I forgot I had the same page open in three tabs :(

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Keael: How exactly are they planning on gaining profit with the PS3?

By selling the games at $100 each. It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Last Fog]Umm, did you read my previous post? You can't judge anything right now because neither Wii or PS3 are anywhere near release. Everything is subject to change, as it did last generation.
He can judge all he wants. Developers tend to start supporting a console before it's released, so, well, like, it actually has games when it goes on sale. There's nothing to be judged - What Speedy says is fact.

[quote]Actually, they're kicking their *** because they've had control over handheld market for years, having virtually no competition. PSP is Sony's first attempt at handhelds.
This is true, but it's also ill on Sony's part due to having ****ty first-party games, stupid firmware upgrades and a (relative to the DS) short battery life.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Last Fog]Of course it does, but a company needs more than just first party products on their own consoles.
Yeah they need good first party games. I guess thats why nintendo makes more profit then X-box or PlayStation.

[quote]Just like companies took interest in gamecube at the start. Remember the Capcom 5 and their promise of exclusivenss to Nintendo? Oops! They changed their minds! And Rareware, Silicon Knights, where have you gone! Oh yeah, to Microsoft. Only time will tell if the trend continues.
Please. That was then and this is now. Nintendo didnt offer much different from Ps2 or X-box. Now they do have some thing different and alot of third party's are flocking to it. I wouldnt be surprized if sony starts to loose Third party support.

Btw you're points are weak. Aw Re4 went to ps2, After nintendo made crazy profits off it first.
Oh yeah, Nintendo is really missing Rare. I heard Perfect Dark 360 really lived up to its N64 counterpart (Barf)

[quote]Uh, hello?

I said big picture. Take away Zelda and gamecube would be in the gutter.
I see,
so if we take away a popular product from a company then said company wont do as well? A DURRRRRRRRRR

I can play this game too

"Take away a third Party Like Square Enix and playstation would be in the gutter."

But the think of this, Enix has and will make games for nintendo, but sony will never get Zelda.

[quote]I'm not talking handhelds here. Sure Nintendo does better in that department, they've been the stand alone company in handhelds for years, which is where they make most of their profit.
Oh I see, when it proves your point wrong it doesnt matter.

I might as well say " Nintendo Outsold Every system, Minus the Playstation 1 + 2 becuase im not counting them"

[quote]They sure are, and you should know, being a fanboy and all.

Its funny to see how some one who has no idea about how the industry works hides behind name calling.

[quote]So how I see it, Sony right now is the strong, and they are flourishing in terms of sales. Now as for them not gaining any profit, I really dont know, thats another story.

But Sony isnt strong when there Flourishing with sales. It hurts them. Its like a Muscular man with aids. He looks strong on the outside but he hurts on the inside. Sony looks good when they sell systems but it hurts them little by little.

[quote]Experience, pretty much. Sony has done some good this time around. *** of War is a tremendous game, Shadow of the Collosus, amazing, and for racing fans, Gran Turismo is the best series around.

and Im the fan boy ¬: And Nintendo... hmm... Super Mario Sunshine, Mario party 6,7,8 or whatever, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Kart, Mario Soccer, Mario everything.

How about

Super Mario Sunshine, Metriod Prime 1 +2 , SSB:M, Wind waker, Twilight princess, Mario Kart, Pikmin, F-Zero GX , Harvest Moon, and Animal Crossing?

Yeah, you fail.

Posted by Xqars

I was recently on Amazon.com and saw that the PS2's current best seller was GT4 with a price of... $10! I was surprised to see GT4 already at $10 while some old and unpopular games were still $15-20.

Posted by mis0

Cool. I was thinking of picking up a PS2 once they dropped in price in conjunction with GT4 and Gran Turismo steering wheel system. Lookin' more attractive by the day.

Posted by Unite

Hmm some of these comments sofar about wii 3rd party support. I've heard most these comments before but they were about the gc.

wonder why people here keep mentioning ds vs psp?

Quoting Last Fog:
And Nintendo... hmm... Super Mario Sunshine, Mario party 6,7,8 or whatever, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Kart, Mario Soccer, Mario everything.

So you haven't actually played any GAMECUBE games, have you? You're just tired of Mario, so you dismiss Zelda, Metroid, Smash Brothers, Star Fox, Resident Evil, Fire Emblem, Harvest Moon, Ikaruga, and countless others out of hand.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Prince Shondronai]You're just tired of Mario, so you dismiss Zelda, Metroid, Smash Brothers, Star Fox, Resident Evil, Fire Emblem, Harvest Moon, Ikaruga, and countless others out of hand.
Plus the multitude of third-party titles which are on all three platforms. Third-party games are still games.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Prince Shondronai: So you haven't actually played any GAMECUBE games, have you? You're just tired of Mario, so you dismiss Zelda, Metroid, Smash Brothers, Star Fox, Resident Evil, Fire Emblem, Harvest Moon, Ikaruga, and countless others out of hand.
I have a gamecube. And yes, I am tired of Mario. As for Zelda, I hated it for the controls. They try to make it play just like it did on N64 and it doesnt work. Metroid Prime is a chore to play, IMO. Smash Bros was good, but it's years old. Resident Evil is one of my favorite series, but its not exclusive. I'm not an rpg fan so I neglect Fire Emblem and Harvest moon. What it all comes down to is opinion. I dont like much of anything on gamecube, so just leave it at that.

You hated the controls in Zelda, yet the herky-jerky controls of shadow of the colossus entertained you? The controls were remapped around the GAMECUBE controller's triggers, face buttons, and C-stick. There's nothing about them that didn't work. Explain.

Resident Evil REmake and Resident Evil Zero are exclusive, and I thought Eternal Darkness was superior to both.

I don't think you're telling the truth about anything but your love for sony.

Posted by Last Fog

I don't have a love for Sony... FYI the only systems I own are SNES, N64, gamecube, and ps2. Whats that tell you. I'm just not a fan of gamecube or anything nintendo has put out this generation. But theres plenty of room for change. All I'm saying is its gonna take a lot of persuasion to gain the support they've lost over the last decade.

Dont accuse me of being a fanboy.. just cause you're one to the fullest doesnt mean everyone else is.

I myself own a ps2 and a number of games for it. If that's all it takes to not be a fanboy, you can't call me one.

If you don't love sony pointlessly, you seem to me to dislike Nintendo shallowly. The other things I mentioned in my message that you ignored, for instance?

Posted by Random

Quoting Last Fog: I have a gamecube. And yes, I am tired of Mario. As for Zelda, I hated it for the controls. They try to make it play just like it did on N64 and it doesnt work. Metroid Prime is a chore to play, IMO. Smash Bros was good, but it's years old. Resident Evil is one of my favorite series, but its not exclusive. I'm not an rpg fan so I neglect Fire Emblem and Harvest moon. What it all comes down to is opinion. I dont like much of anything on gamecube, so just leave it at that.

Even though I thought Mario Sunshine could have been a lot better I still thought it was a decent game. It wasn't a huge addicting Mario game but it was a decent game none the less.

Zelda's controls were pretty bad but Zelda is such a great game I didn't mind how terrible the controls were.

Metroid Prime bored me compared to Halo (Although the boss concept is a good idea which I hope bungie uses) but many gamers enjoyed it.

Fire Emblem was an awesome game. I didn't get to play too far into it. I'd really like to go back and play it. And harvest moon isn't my type of game but I can see why people would like it.

It's honestly just point of view. Just because you didn't like Mario Sunshine doesn't mean the next Mario will be terrible. I found Paper Mario 2 to be really fun. And the Mario sports titles I thought should have been online because they were so fun.

Wait, what was wrong with Zelda's controls?