"Housewife"

Posted by Xenos

I'm just curious about how much of a 'housewife' most of the community is. When I say this, I mean do you guys cook, clean, and all that lovely shiz. My room ... fluctuates a lot. When I am tired for a long period of time, you can tell that from my room! But all of a sudden, I will just go mad and make everyhing perfect and neat, but for the most part, I'm ... kinda clean. I guess my general cleanliness depends on my mood. As far as cooking goes, I'm alright at it, but I don't do it often.

However, I'm no way as a housewife. I'm usually a slob anywhere outside of my room or binder.

Posted by mis0

I can cook, clean, and be organized. I just don't havea good reason to, so I don't. Thusly, no housewife here.

Posted by Dexter

I don't have someone around to do things for me so I have to do everything for myself. Not that I’m complaining. I can clean my place and cook my meals just fine. I like my place looking nice, but I am definitely not a perfectionist and if I'm too occupied with something else, things may stay messy for a few days. I like to keep things fairly organized and put away. Nothing much gets messy around here because I simply don't regularly create a mess. Things go away whenever I am done using it.

Posted by Ant

I'm fairly messy. I do some of the household chores still, like dishes, trash, etc. But if I were on my own though, I'd probably be moderatly messy, but I wouldn't things go out of contorl. But I'm no clean freak, that's for sure.

Posted by Iris

I act like such a housewife. I enjoy taking care of my little brothers. Cooking is a huge hobby, as well as cleaning and gardening.

Cooking is just fantastic. It's definitely the best hands-on activity I can think of. Anyone can do it too. You can make things off recipe, or make them on your own. Either way, the approval of others is very rewarding, as well as getting to taste your own inventions.

Cleaning has the same rewards as cooking. Not only does it look nice after, but the approval and gratitude of others is nice. After finishing decorating and tidying up a room, seeing the product is also euphoric. Also, it can be somewhat of a work-out. A clean space looks nice and allows you to be more organized.

Gardening is more long term than the other stuff. You have to take good care of the plants, and not just for a little while. Being a caretaker of them requires a lot of work. Planting especially. Keeping the plants alive and having them bud again in the seasons is nice, and it makes the outside of your home look beautiful and radiant.

It's nice to have goals and such, but spending time nurturing the things around you is a really special thing, and I feel good about myself doing it.

Posted by Dexter

Oh yeah. I enjoy taking care of my nieces and nephews. Tucking them in at night and reading them stories is most rewarding. I do all the voices and I often make up parts of the stories and relate them to our lives, bringing in characters we actually know from the grocery store and bowling alley or wherever else, like big belly Fred or Catherine the key girl. It's hilarious and we are always using my stories as references.

Posted by Iris

It's quite a creative profession. :cool:

Posted by Ant

Being a housewife is not job.

Posted by Iris

It's not a paying job, but it's more rewarding, and pretty essential job nevertheless.

Posted by Xenos

Huh, I forgot all about the other aspects. Well, I use to garden quite a bit, I never make them all look pretty. I don't really know how much of a 'fatherly' or 'motherly' figure I would make. I'm more of that big brother type of thing ... well, sorta. I like kids a lot though [maybe 'cause I'm a kid myself, in a way], something that a lot of people don't really find popular. It's funny when I think about it, I was going to go volunteer at a center for children that has been abused. I hate bragging or being arrogant, but my mami oft to say I have a green thumb. :P It reminds me I haven't started to plant anything for this year. It might be a little too late now. :X I guess I've been so caught up with classes this semester.

But as a 'housewife' 'housewife' ... I don't think I could do it. Staying at home all the time, but I do see a need for a balance. A lot of parents from this generation are too absorbed into their lives. I guess this also goes on to why I'd rather adopt some kids that need a home.

Posted by Linko_16

I could probably run a house if I had to... but I might have to call my mom for advice now and then.

Quoting Iris: It's not a paying job, but it's more rewarding, and pretty essential job nevertheless.

Agree'd. If my wife had a good job, I'd totally be a stay-at-home dad.

Posted by Dexter

Being a housewife is a job. Look up some of the definitions of "job."

"the role that somebody or something fulfills"

"something that is difficult to accomplish"

"a completed piece of work of a particular quality"

"an individual piece of work of a particular nature"

Posted by Ant

Quoting Iris: It's not a paying job, but it's more rewarding, and pretty essential job nevertheless.

More rewarding how exactly?

Posted by Xenos

I guess the feeling that you've established some great individuals to go out to the big world, but I guess that is more of a "mom" type thing, but whatever. Could bode for 'housewives' too.

Posted by Aesthetic

I'm a moderately clean person. Usually, my room is more or less spotless, but that's usually because I don't do much that would cause a mess in the first place. After clothes are dried, I fold and put them away; when I'm done watching a movie or reading a book, I put it back where it belonged, which also applied to board games and such. Papers are the only things that I usually need to organize every once in awhile, but I enjoy cleaning out my desk.

Other than that, I love straightening and organizing. Cleaning in general can be fun, especially while babysitting, when you can teach the kids to take care of their things in a creative manner. It provides entertainment, amusement and lessons, all in one activity. When I was little, I used to "help" my sister babysit - I was four years older than the kid, who, at the time, was four years old. For years, I would go over and pick up his room. She never told me to, but once she realized that I did it willingly, she didn't make much of an effort to stop, as she would tend to get the credit for it. Later, I ended up taking over her job. I've been babysitting nearly all my life, it seems.

But yeah, I guess I do kind of fit the description of a housewife.

Posted by Dexter

It depends on the situation, Ant, but I'd say it is more rewarding because it alters your life directly and you have full control over it. You are, essentially, doing things the way you want to in an environment that is yours. If you have children, I'd say it becomes even more rewarding.

Posted by Fate

I'm organized only if I ever get around to organizing stuff, so I come off as messy most of the time. I can cook when I or the person I'm cooking for has the time to eat the food right when I make it; no way am I going to have someone eat my food cold! I clean only when I'm told or if something is really, really dirty and I can no longer stand the sight of it. Dishes are taken care of with a dishwasher! I don't garden, but I buy potted flowers for the den every once in a while. I like kids only if they're old enough to believe me when I tell them that tears bring death to their parents.

I'm a lazy housewife and a potentially horrible mother.

Posted by Dreadnought

Antiwife.

Posted by Lord of Spam

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/table.jpg]I[/url] [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/radio.jpg]am[/url] [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/games.jpg]a[/url] [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/desk.jpg]very[/url] [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/closet.jpg]messy[/url] [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/bedandbookcase.jpg]person.[/url]

Both me and my room mate are kinda messy, and neither of us is too big on cleaning, so our room is known for its messiness. The only that thing that we make sure to clean up super quick is food, since we both hate roaches. So there are clothes and papers everywhere, but not a single speck of food. Its messy, but clean:cookie:

Posted by The Judge

I never clean unless forced to do so, and I have no idea how to cook nor prepare laundry.

I'm the perfect husband.

Posted by Porcupine

I'm can be a bit messy but every so often I realise it and everything gets tidied away. :)

Posted by NES Queen

i'm the same as Dex. there's no one here but me, so if i don't do it - it simply doesn't get done. unless i know i have people coming over, i tend to not fuss too much and let junk pile up where it doesn't belong. but after a while its just gross and too hard to find what you need.

i usually try to clean up at least once a week though so it doesn't get out of hand. my biggest pet peeve is dishes. i hate washing dishes. so most of my food/drinks are with paper plates and plastic cups. no muss, no fuss. when i eventually get around to buying an actual house instead of renting, 1st thing i'm buying is a dishwasher.

Posted by Iris

I love plastic cups and paper plates. Plastic utensils suck though.

Posted by Raptor

When it comes to organisation, I'm a housewife to the extreme. In terms of folding clothes and preparing meals, though, I hardly bother. I'm a fanatic about cleanliness, though, at least in my own space.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Yeah well for those of you that don't know, I'm one of the laziest kids you'll ever meet. Cleaning, heh sure I could if I felt like it, but since I am such a lazy *** I never bother to do a dam thing in my house unless pestered multiple times to do so.

Quoting The Judge:

I'm the perfect husband.

:)

Posted by Sable Wind

I keep things moderately tidy all the time. Well, at some points it gets out of control, which is when I go on a cleaning spree and drag six or seven trashbags full of useless crap out from my room... It can get pretty extreme.

Gardening? Can't stand the thought of unearthing a spider or centipede, or just creepy crawlies in general (worms don't count, as well as slugs... they're cute). It's why I'm not much of an outdoors person. I can admire it--I have a gorgeous backyard, but I just despise bugs.

Cooking... hahaha...

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I hate plastic cups and paper plates. I try to be as environmentally friendly as possible.

I'm a very clean person. I try to keep my room spotless, but that's difficult living with nine birds. I dislike cooking, but that doesn't mean I can't or won't do it. I suppose it can be fun at times, but I'm not big on fancy meals. I enjoy gardening and taking care of my houseplants. I'd like to design a beautiful bird friendly garden in my backyard, but I'm not sure if my mother is up to that, so I may just have to wait until I move out into a house of my own.