On Writing

Posted by Dreadnought

"The man who does not write for money is a fool."

Agree or disagree?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Disagree. You should be writing for yourself, primarily. Everything else is secondary. Whether you make money in the process is irrelevant.

Posted by Klarth

Agree.

Samuel Johnson said it and his dick is lodged so far down my throat that I cannot possibly dispute his beliefs.

Posted by Xenos

Disagree. You should write for whatever you feel like it, if it's money, fine, yet I don't think someone who write for passion is a 'fool'. :|

Posted by Dreadnought

Vampiro ist krieg. Klarth is a stupid baby.

Writing is art, and art is not entertainment.

Posted by Ant

But would writing for entertainment be wrong?

Posted by Dreadnought

[quote=Ant]But would writing for entertainment be wrong?

Hack writing? Yes. The Da Vinci Code? Yes.

Writing as a serious work of art or expression, and maybe achieving some form of success along the way? No.

Quoted post: But would writing for entertainment be wrong?

Personal entertainment? No. Just like with money, if along the way people enjoy it, then so be it.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Maybe I'm missing something, but if writing for enjoyment is okay, then why isnt writing for money okay. Seems to me like if I had the sales from a best selling book I'd be able to have quiet a bit of fun.

Writing is just a tool. You can use it to inspire, to entertain, to inform, or to just get silly rich. Wht ever works for you and falls within the range of your abilities is what you should use it for.

Quoted post: Maybe I'm missing something, but if writing for enjoyment is okay, then why isnt writing for money okay.

Missed the point, as it's personal enjoyment. Like I said, if you make money in the process or entain millions while doing it, then that's pretty badass. But it should be about you, first and foremost.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I dont know about you, but personally I enjoy money.

I dont see why the enjoyment has to take place in the act and not the result.

cause you're missing the point entirely :)

Posted by Yonaka

Lord of Spam you are indeed missing the point entirely. I write for enjoyment. It's how I make my way in the world, it's my life. I can't go for more than a few days at a time without going absolutely insane. Writing is much, much more than a tool.

If someone were to ask me why I write my answer would be thus: I write so that people will see what I see. They'll know me a bit more, see a bit of myself, my very soul that I put into all my words. I want people to see the small things in life that allow us to enjoy each and everyday, I put so much into my writing that it's like it's part of me, of who I am. I could never give that up. Yes I am going to get some of my writings published, but that's only because people say I should. I don't care if I make money off of it!

So yes, I completely disagree.

Posted by keyartist

What I think is , if you make money off something you have a passion for that sucks. If you truley like writing then do it for free, on your own time and work like the rest of us. So I disagree.

Posted by Stalolin

Of course.

No one wants to read your opinion on life, they just want magic swordsmen that train dragons to fight giant robots.

Posted by keyartist

ok, Sorry but I don't get it.

Posted by Sable Wind

Disagree entirely. :(

And if you make money off of something you have a passion for, isn't that... you know... a good thing? Because you make money, but you're making it by doing something you enjoy? O-o

Posted by Yonaka

Making money off of it isn't what I would call bad. Does it make you a fool if you don't make money off it, no. Simple as that. :)

Posted by Dreadnought

My point is that if you write a third rate piece of work to please a mass audience and make $LOTS, you have missed the point because you have chosen not to write a first rate piece for personal expression and scarce success.

Posted by Yonaka

You should write for you. Only you, that way you know you're doing it right, and it will be first rate. But you can sell it and get it published. You have to take your time, and if it's a greatly anticipated series such as the Harry Potter books, take even more time to keep the masses waiting. ;)

Posted by GameMiestro

Disagree. That statement assumes that everyone that does not write is a fool. If certain members decided to stop writing immediately, would you consider that foolish?

Posted by keyartist

And if you do make money off it give it to people in need of it, don't get rich off it.

Posted by Yonaka

You should all go read my fan-fic. It's coming along great. R&R please. Flames a welcome!

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Blaise: You should all go read my fan-fic. It's coming along great. R&R please. Flames a welcome!

I can accept that people write for pleasure, but it's kind of rude to use literature as a form of torture.

Posted by Yonaka

Did you even read it? Don't insult something you know nothing about. That's what's called rude.