Revolution's real name - It's official.

Posted by Klarth

Nintendo Wii. Yes, Wii.

From IGN:
[quote]April 27, 2006 - Nintendo revealed this morning that the official name of its formerly codenamed Revolution system is Nintendo Wii.

The Big N explained the decision behind the name in a statement, which we've provided below:

Introducing... Wii.

As in "we."

While the code-name Revolution expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that seperates videogame players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?

Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people playing it. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of videogames that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything.

http://revolution.nintendo.com/ confirms this.

Eh, it's just a name.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Hah, looks like I made it one minute too late. :(

Anywho, I think it's a pretty... uh, bad name. Maybe I'll grow to like it, who knows. But it just sounds kinda lame. Then again, so does Playstation and Xbox.

Posted by Klarth

At least the logo's nice.

The logo actually looks pretty cool. But it sounds silly when you say it out loud.

Posted by Klarth

Nintendo Wryyyyyyyy.

Bol, that right there made the name awesome. I don't think I can possibly refer to it as anything else from now on.

Posted by Klarth

Nintendo Wiiaboo.

dubya two

Posted by ShiroiHikari

reading that little paragraph after the flash video on the site... Nintendo kind of seems full of themselves! :O

Posted by Unite

LOL , It's such a pathetic name

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Unite: LOL , It's such a pathetic name

LOL YOU'RE SUCH A PATHETIC PERSON

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

This had better get a new name before the English release.

Wee!

Posted by ShiroiHikari

well it is on the american site... so i think its the american name :)! oh well.. its just a name.. who cares xP

Yeah, but do the American's have the word 'wee' in the same sense the British do?

Posted by ShiroiHikari

i dunno.. whats your sense of wee.. and i will tell you!

Urinary.

Posted by ShiroiHikari

oh yeah! but we usually like... yeah we got over that at a younger age! xD the only way older people use it is like... we the people

Posted by Unite

Quoting Klarth: LOL YOU'RE SUCH A PATHETIC PERSON

LOL , defending the name already?

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Wings: Yeah, but do the American's have the word 'wee' in the same sense the British do?

Yep.

[quote=Unite]
LOL , defending the name already?
Yes. Main reason I'm doing so is, like, because I kind of, well, like it.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Klarth: Yep.

Yes. Main reason I'm doing so is, like, because I kind of, well, like it.

LOL

How about you go back to playing with your wii in corner plz

Quoted post: Yeah, but do the American's have the word 'wee' in the same sense the British do?

More or less.

But won't this name make NO sense whatsoever to people that don't speak english?

Quoted post:
LOL

G[COLOR="White"]odd[/COLOR]amn you're an idiot. You can hate the name all you want, but don't be so obnoxious

Posted by Grom

omg, well hey its unique, umm interesting, ....... well i like nintendo. Again, the revolution unique to, and it just a name right. So i am good with it, though revolution sounds better. Anyways, who cares its a name and i will be playing the Wii. Rock on Nintendo.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Grom: omg, well hey its unique, umm interesting, ....... well i like nintendo. Again, the revolution unique to, and it just a name right. So i am good with it, though revolution sounds better. Anyways, who cares its a name and i will be playing the Wii. Rock on Nintendo.

why don't they just call it "bag of ****" if the name dosen't matter?

Posted by Unite

Quoting Vampiro: More or less.

But won't this name make NO sense whatsoever to people that don't speak english?

G[COLOR="White"]odd[/COLOR]amn you're an idiot. You can hate the name all you want, but don't be so obnoxious

Ah vamp these people you are defending don't need it and they are far from innocent.

Posted by Klarth

Congratulations on making no sense whatever and instigating pointless flame wars in the process.

Quoted post: Ah vamp these people you are defending don't need it and they are far from innocent.

I'm not defending anyone. I'm making a general observation and statement.

And yeah, they're terribly, terribly guilty, aren't they? :rolleyes:

Posted by ShiroiHikari

Quoting Unite: Ah vamp these people you are defending don't need it and they are far from innocent.

erm, may i ask what they are guilty of?

Being fanboys and kissing eachothers a[COLOR="White"]ss[/COLOR]es.

Or something stupid like that.

Posted by Klarth

Man, Nintendo kicks so much ass. Bend over, CJ.

All ready am!

Oh, and on thing I'm not looking forward to is all of the stupid puns Nintendo decides to use for their games. They've done it countless times with the DS, and I'm sure they can't wait to do it with the Wii.

Posted by ShiroiHikari

bah!!! i hate them... theyve done it with all of their systems.. but they are still good games! but agh.. i hate puns with a passion!

Oh yeah, I actually forgot they did it with the SNES and N64... but at least "Super Mario 64" is better than (if I may steal a quote) "Mario & Lu-wii-ge: Here Wii Go Again".

Posted by Unite

Quoting Klarth: Congratulations on making no sense whatever and instigating pointless flame wars in the process.

ah klarth you were the one who started it.

Posted by sabre

Ugh, that's a terrible name. I liked Go better. :( I can't imagine ever liking this name. Revolution sounded like a great name, Wii is just cheesy and generally... ew.

[quote]So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything.This quote in particular is just embarassing.

And Unite is right. To be fair Klarth, you started the personal attacks. Sure, Unite made a pretty dumb post, but you could have just ignored it.

Posted by ShiroiHikari

Quoting Vampiro: Oh yeah, I actually forgot they did it with the SNES and N64... but at least "Super Mario 64" is better than (if I may steal a quote) "Mario & Lu-wii-ge: Here Wii Go Again".

Omg, that was the most beautiful thing ive heard all day!

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Sabredog]
And Unite is right. To be fair, you started the flame war.
[quote=Unite]LOL , It's such a pathetic name
[spoiler].[/spoiler]

Posted by sabre

That's not a personal attack. That's him stating his opinion. As I said, such a post was uncalled for on his part, but you were the one who started insulting people.

Posted by ShiroiHikari

but it is kind of a provoke...

Posted by Klarth

Indeed. I didn't flood my initial post with "I love this new name with all my heart and soul" now, did I?

Plus, "lol wut a pathetic naem" isn't exactly a post worth reading.

Posted by sabre

I know. I agree entirely, I'm not defending that post. You could have ignored it, reported it, derepped it, or even just tactfully asked him to elaborate, though. "LOL YOU'RE SUCH A PATHETIC PERSON" was equally unnecessary is what I'm saying, and it wasn't going to go anywhere except a conflict. Hell, at least "what a pathetic name" is relevant to the thread.

[quote]but it is kind of a provoke...Not really. Nobody had said they'd liked it up to that point, all posts were neutral or negative. Who was he provoking?

Posted by Unite

Quoting Klarth: Indeed. I didn't flood my initial post with "I love this new name with all my heart and soul" now, did I?

Plus, "lol wut a pathetic naem" isn't exactly a post worth reading.

klarth acting all innocent isn't that cute. klarth that may of worked 3 years ago but not anymore.

klarth is this your first user name? Did you ever get your name changed?

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Sabredog]Who was he provoking?
The legions of Nintendo fanboys he seems to believe exist all over VGC.

[quote=Unite]
Many times.

All three of you are being twats. Stop it. We need to focus on the main issue here.

Nintendo being twats.

Posted by sabre

Quoting Klarth: The legions of Nintendo fanboys he seems to believe exist all over VGC.
Oh, does he do this kinda thing all the time? I don't know, I don't browse this section of the boards much.

Unite, you can stop fuelling the fire too. Any more flame posts will be deleted.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Sabredog]Oh, does he do this kinda thing all the time?
Search for his posts and see for yourself.

I honestly don't mind the name. I prefer Revolution, but eh. Also: am I the only person thinking a name like Wii is very... Web 2.0?

Posted by ShiroiHikari

Quoting Klarth:

I honestly don't mind the name. I prefer Revolution, but eh. Also: am I the only person thinking a name like Wii is very... Web 2.0?

I dont get the refference... (sorry?)

Posted by Shade

What's wrong with, "LOL it's such a pathetic name"? Probably because it didn't have absolutely perfect grammar and it dissagreed with what you think.

It's a pathetic name.

Posted by Klarth

Web 2.0 describes the "second generation" of the internet that's been cropping up lately - Design schemes are more user-friendly, collaborative schemes are more abundant, and people are encouraged to work together more often. What I thought was that "Wii" sounds very much like the name of some kind of Web 2.0 internet business or something of that ilk.

[quote=Shade]Probably because it didn't have absolutely perfect grammar and it dissagreed with what you think.
Probably because he's adamant on showing everyone that he's pointlessly biased against a particular producer. Keep going, kiddo, everyone knows that blood is TOTALLY HARDK0R AND SUPERI0R.

Posted by muffla

that name compleaty sux why cant they justleave the name as the nintendo revolution?

Quoted post: Oh, does he do this kinda thing all the time? I don't know, I don't browse this section of the boards much.

http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=12649

Pretty good examples.

Quoting muffla: that name compleaty sux why cant they justleave the name as the nintendo revolution?

Precisely my opinion, just not quite as eloquent.

Posted by ShiroiHikari

Well the name isnt that good... but the name remains as that! just a name... the name does not make the system, or the quality of the games.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Klarth: Probably because he's adamant on showing everyone that he's pointlessly biased against a particular producer. Keep going, kiddo, everyone knows that blood is TOTALLY HARDK0R AND SUPERI0R.

OR! He could just not like the name.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Sabredog: Oh, does he do this kinda thing all the time? I don't know, I don't browse this section of the boards much.

Unite, you can stop fuelling the fire too. Any more flame posts will be deleted.

saberdog i'm sorry you had to see this forgive me , I didn't expect klarth would take offence to my comments about the new name.

Posted by nich

Oh man, that's a bad name. While a name is just a name and the way it performs is much more important, they could have made a great system with a great name and had the best. I'm sure there is someone working at nintendo with a little more style who could have come up with a name much better than wii.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Shade: OR! He could just not like the name.

OR! http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=12649

Posted by NightmareBassX

I think Wii is decent... I mean, I don't like it really, but I guess its okay. I don't mind the name as long as the games are good.

Quoting Unite: klarth acting all innocent isn't that cute. klarth that may of worked 3 years ago but not anymore.

Acting innocent? What can he possibly be guily of?

[URL="http://vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=12833"]Klarth = King of name changes[/URL]

Posted by Drewboy64

It's a pretty good name, especially in its meaning. I liked Revolution a bit better. Hey, Wii certainly is better than RS or Bluewave

Please, stop complaining about the name. It's not a ****ing bad name. It's really clever and simplisitc. Simplistic, which is the direction Nintendo is going in.

Honostly, do you really think this is worse than X-box? It's just "box" with a cool-looking letter in front. Ugh.

Posted by gamerz

I say it's a late april fools joke! It's still april you know!

Posted by Unite

Quoting Klarth: Web 2.0 describes the "second generation" of the internet that's been cropping up lately - Design schemes are more user-friendly, collaborative schemes are more abundant, and people are encouraged to work together more often. What I thought was that "Wii" sounds very much like the name of some kind of Web 2.0 internet business or something of that ilk.

Probably because he's adamant on showing everyone that he's pointlessly biased against a particular producer. Keep going, kiddo, everyone knows that blood is TOTALLY HARDK0R AND SUPERI0R.

biased nope, I own gc have 14 or so game, i bought mario sunshine and zelda ww after prince and speed told me they were best things since sliced bread. I even bought gc to gba connective cable off there words alone. I even own a ds i have 5 or so games for it.

Posted by Klarth

Drewboy: What is RS...?

gamerz: If you think that, you're somewhat gullible. Wikipedia's changed all "Revolution" references to "Wii", and Gamespot, IGN and Gamefaqs are in the process of doing so.

[quote=Unite]
biased nope, I own gc have 14 or so game, i bought mario sunshine and zelda ww after prince and speed told me they were best things since sliced bread. I even bought gc to gba connective cable off there words alone. I even own a ds i have 5 or so games for it.
So why the constant bashing simply because they don't conform to your interests...?

Posted by Unite

Quoting NightmareBassX: I think Wii is decent... I mean, I don't like it really, but I guess its okay. I don't mind the name as long as the games are good.

Acting innocent? What can he possibly be guily of?

[URL="http://vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=12833"]Klarth = King of name changes[/URL]

ty

You know what will be funny, seeing the name "Wii" on the side of such a cool looking console. They name doesn't really fit the style... at all.

Posted by gamerz

yea, I know it. Thats why I said it's gotta be an april fools joke!
That would be the worst console name in history if they stuck with it. And knowing nintendo, they like to switch things up at what seems to be just the last minute. They love saying one release date only a few month's later saying "it's going to take longer".

Posted by ShiroiHikari

Quoting gamerz: And knowing nintendo, they like to switch things up at what seems to be just the last minute. They love saying one release date only a few month's later saying "it's going to take longer".

ALL Gaming companys do that.. not just Nintendo.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Klarth: Drewboy: What is RS...?

gamerz: If you think that, you're somewhat gullible. Wikipedia's changed all "Revolution" references to "Wii", and Gamespot, IGN and Gamefaqs are in the process of doing so.

So why the constant bashing simply because they don't conform to your interests...?

Simple i felt in suikoden 5 thread that he should be aloud post and about it and get info. As you can see you and speed tried to insult a good man for no reason at all. So the best way to get results is to go after root of the problem.

Posted by nich

Quoting gamerz: yea, I know it. Thats why I said it's gotta be an april fools joke!
That would be the worst console name in history if they stuck with it. And knowing nintendo, they like to switch things up at what seems to be just the last minute. They love saying one release date only a few month's later saying "it's going to take longer".

Did you read Klarth's post? It's 100% official, and the name of a console is not something they would change last minute.

Posted by gamerz

oh right, like they didnt change ultra 64, to Nintendo 64.

Posted by Unite

Quoting gamerz: oh right, like they didnt change ultra 64, to Nintendo 64.

it was suppose to be

nintendo 64 = Japanese name

ultra 64 = non japanese name

but i forgot detail on what happen.

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Unite]
hmm can you tell me some of his other past names , i have feeling i know who he is.
I don't recall ever having run-ins with you in the past. And the only long-running names I've used have been fnool, Mostly Harmless and Majesty.

[quote]As you can see you and speed tried to insult a good man for no reason at all.
Actually, I was merely inquiring as to something of a message board phenomenon which (seemingly coincidentally) was something of which his post exhibited properties. Oddly enough, he took offence and you flocked to his side.

Posted by Zeta

Augh, Wii sounds horrible. They should have used Revolution, despite it being just the code name.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Klarth: I don't recall ever having run-ins with you in the past. And the only long-running names I've used have been fnool, Mostly Harmless and Majesty.

Actually, I was merely inquiring as to something of a message board phenomenon which (seemingly coincidentally) was something of which his post exhibited properties. Oddly enough, he took offence and you flocked to his side.

actually I only started after you started quoting me. In my eyes you were defending speed.

Posted by gamerz

[quote=Unite]actually I only started after you started quoting me. In my eyes you were defending speed.

And off to the flame board the both of you should go. So long as you don't keep spamming THIS topic.

Posted by Last Fog

Wow this is the dumbest name I ever heard. Sure, the name doesnt matter, by its sooo bad! Why didnt they just stick with revolution, sure that was cheesy as well, but its more than 3 letters!! Seems like mostly everyone here agrees, except for Klarth, but after clicking the link and reading [URL="http://vgchat.com/showpost.php?p=238792&postcount=7"]this[/URL] it seems he just generally has bad taste in names.

Posted by Drewboy64

Quoting Klarth: Drewboy: What is RS...?

RS was just some speculated name that stood for Revolutionary System. In my opinion it's not that good of a name. just too similar to DS. Or something. Whatever.

Posted by Ant

Yeah, that's a horrible name. I can see it being embarassing for people to even say. Hard to believe someone thought this would be a good name and everyone agreed on it. Ugh, so stupid.

Posted by ShiroiHikari

a name is just a name! this has been made abundant like.. 50 times in this topic alone. Dont cause more trouble, with other members like that.

Posted by Ant

I'm just stating my opinion. Doesn't mean I won't like the system(which I'm looking forward too very much), I just hate the name.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Ant: Yeah, that's a horrible name. I can see it being embarassing for people to even say. Hard to believe someone thought this would be a good name and everyone agreed on it. Ugh, so stupid.
Exactly, when I first saw it, I was certain it was a stupid abbreviation just like DS. Then I read on and realized thats the name itself. Wii. It's even spelled stupidly.

Posted by Drewboy64

People like you who don't like the name are the people who make it embarrassing to say.

Posted by Colonel

No!!! I feared a name like that. Oh well ill get used to it

Posted by Unite

Quoting Drewboy64: People like you who don't like the name are the people who make it embarrassing to say.

Ask a random girl if she wants to play with your wii, coun't how many time she ***** slaps you.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Wii like it. Not as good as 'Revolution', but it's not like the name is going to affect any gameplay, graphical or fun issues. The Revwiilution is turning out to be one of the most controversial consoles ever!

:cool:

[SIZE="1"]Klarth and Unite need to stfu.[/SIZE]

Posted by Fate

Wiiner.

Posted by ShiroiHikari

More like the Wiivolution... but i guess saying that makes it sound like Evolution.. hrumph...

anyway.. X is right! :p

Posted by Axis

How....dissappointing.

..good thing the games will still rock.

Posted by s0ul

Yeah, the games' quality isn't in jeopardy, that's not the point. The name sucks.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Last Fog: Wow this is the dumbest name I ever heard. Sure, the name doesnt matter, by its sooo bad! Why didnt they just stick with revolution, sure that was cheesy as well, but its more than 3 letters!! Seems like mostly everyone here agrees, except for Klarth, but after clicking the link and reading [URL="http://vgchat.com/showpost.php?p=238792&postcount=7"]this[/URL] it seems he just generally has bad taste in names.

His name is his own opinion. I think you should shut your mouth now, since you are just trying to attack Klarth paticularly. This already happened with Unite and Klarth. Now shut your **** mouth and respect other people's opinions for christ sake.

Posted by s0ul

Enough about Unite, guys. They named it Wii. Someone didn't just think of this. Someone said it out loud and probably nobody laughed at him. Not only did they not laugh at him but they agreed. This is much more important.

Posted by s0ul

Yeah, you wouldn't be saying "it's just a name" if your girlfriend was named Skanky McWhore would you?

Posted by Fate

Plus, abbreviations work wonders. PS3, 360, N64, GBC, etc. The names work because the abbreviations work. "Wii" just sounds funny. It'll grow on people, but we'll all still be a bunch of Wiiners. :(

Posted by Burrito

Have any of you realized that the name seems to have spurred the same reactions as the remote? It's like dejavu. If you think about it, the name fits the console. A weird and creative name for a weird and creative console. Don't worry, you'll get used to it.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting XxLionheartXx: thats is sooo retared!!!!! Nintendo WII? Why cant they make it nintendo wifi!!! I swear!

Why would they make it Nintendo Wifi? They already used that idea. Nintendo's plan is to be innovative. I think Nintendo Wii is innovative... What other company put two i's in the same word right next to eachother?

Posted by s0ul

haha, thank *** that guy wasn't in the naming process.

Posted by Ant

I really hope that was scarcasm. Probably because they thought it would sound stupid. ~To Nightmare

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Vampiro: W2

Makes it sound edgy and murderous like WWII.

Wait... I didn't see the "murderous" part the first time I read it. Its not in Nintendo's taste to make them sound murderous. Although I do agree that name is actually pretty good.

Posted by Fate

Nintii. Do it.

Posted by Speedfreak

First off, iPod, Google, Yahoo, Xbox 360, Playstation, Saturn, DS and Gamecube are all crap names that have been made fun of in the past.

Secondly:

HIT IT!

[IMG]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/4383/mariowii1pm.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Speedfreak: First off, iPod, Google, Yahoo, Xbox 360, Playstation, Saturn, DS and Gamecube are all crap names that have been made fun of in the past.

Secondly:

HIT IT!

[IMG]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/4383/mariowii1pm.jpg[/IMG]

I haven't heard DS made fun of much actually. Also, nice artwork, Haha.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Unite: it was suppose to be

nintendo 64 = Japanese name

ultra 64 = non japanese name

but i forgot detail on what happen.

I can't remember where I read it, but the reason they dropped "ultra" was because a company had trademarked that word a month or whatever before the launch date.

It's a fitting name. At first, I was like "wtf," but it's already grown on me a bit. People who make "wii wii" jokes need to go back to elementary school plz :(

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Hyper: I can't remember where I read it, but the reason they dropped "ultra" was because a company had trademarked that word a month or whatever before the launch date.

It's a fitting name. At first, I was like "wtf," but it's already grown on me a bit. People who make "wii wii" jokes need to go back to elementary school plz :(

Yeah. I think the positive feedback from Vamp and the other people who liked it encouraged its growth on me.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=NightmareBassX]I haven't heard DS made fun of much actually. Also, nice artwork, Haha.

!? You never heard "Nintendo BS"!?

Posted by Bebop

I DONT LIKE NAME

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Speedfreak: !? You never heard "Nintendo BS"!?

LOL! No.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Speedfreak: First off, iPod, Google, Yahoo, Xbox 360, Playstation, Saturn, DS and Gamecube are all crap names that have been made fun of in the past.

Don't forget Dreamcast. Also, MEGAdrive was X-treme!

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Ant: I really hope that was scarcasm. Probably because they thought it would sound stupid. ~To Nightmare

Took me awhile to notice this post.

Of course it was sarcasm! :)

Posted by ShiroiHikari

Quoting NightmareBassX: LOL! No.

ive heard... Nintendo BS... Nintendo Dual ****... Nintendo Double ****... many more!

And dont bash the dreamcast! :O its my fav system!

Posted by s0ul

At least Sega tried. I don't mind any of their names.

Every name has been made fun. Just look at Dreamcast. Everyone hated it, now quite a few people think "zomg best name eva".

Edit: Huh beaten to it... point stands!

Quoted post: Wait... I didn't see the "murderous" part the first time I read it. Its not in Nintendo's taste to make them sound murderous. Although I do agree that name is actually pretty good.

Oh, and the whole point was that it had nothing to do with Wii. Because it's "stupid" rather than edgy. And who doesn't like violence and murder?

Posted by ShiroiHikari

Quoting Vampiro: Every name has been made fun. Just look at Dreamcast. Everyone hated it, now quite a few people think "zomg best name eva".

Edit: Huh beaten to it... point stands!

I dont think its the best name ever... just the system had A LOT of potential.. and some really good games!

Posted by Ant

The main bad point about the name Wii is that it's too short really...so it's hard to call it a name. Maybe if it stood for something other then to make some stupid wordplay jokes, then it would be acceptable. I think Wii can all agree on this.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Vampiro: Oh, and the whole point was that it had nothing to do with Wii. Because it's "stupid" rather than edgy. And who doesn't like violence and murder?

Hehe, Yeah. But I was saying how Nintendo's taste isn't murderous because they've supposedly built the reputation for being "kiddie", but thats obviously not the case.

And the kiddie image is why they're "failing" in so many people's eyes.

Posted by Speedfreak

I've always referred to my Nintendo systems as "Nintendo", frankly.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Vampiro: And the kiddie image is why they're "failing" in so many people's eyes.

Which is also the reason having a more "badass" name would help them, not in my case, but in the eyes of the people who think it is "failing". :(

Interview with CCN:
"I think people have to look back and let it settle in," Kaplan said. "I'm sure people felt the same way when Google was named - or the iPod. Napster. Yahoo. There's a whole host of unusual names that have become a part of everyday conversation and I think they're viewed now as unique."

She's got a point. But still... I don't know. Though I must say, Wii looks cool written out, just as long as you don't pronounce it as "we".

Posted by Speedfreak

A "badass" name would put people off. Remember, they're trying to appeal to non-gamers, people of all ages and both sexes. You need something that doesn't sound macho, like Xbox 360, or like a gaming machine as with PlayStation.
I think "Wii" fits the bill quite nicely in that regard.

I think "Revolution" fits the bill quite nicely in that regard.

Posted by Speedfreak

Not trendy enough.

Posted by Drewboy64

Man, I sort of change my mind. I mean, like Vampiro said, Wii is an okay name when written because it's simplistic, fresh and new, like the system, but I can't imagine saying, outloud, "Yo, let's play some wii." I really hope (and think) they will change it back to Revolution. I think so because so many people have said negative things about the name Wii.

Augh, I can't decide. Now I'm saying "let's play some wii" in my head and it sounds like a good name.

I still say Revolution sounds better.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Yeah, I have to say I would have preferred that Nintendo keep the Revolution name, myself. As long as I can also call it "That new system that has Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Smash Brothers, etc. on it," I suppose the official name doesn't matter much, though.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Speedfreak: A "badass" name would put people off. Remember, they're trying to appeal to non-gamers, people of all ages and both sexes. You need something that doesn't sound macho, like Xbox 360, or like a gaming machine as with PlayStation.

I think Nintendo DEATH MACHINE fits just fine. ;)

Posted by Drewboy64

Nintendo Asskicker/Nametaker. Man I wish they would take back the name Revolution.

I'm sure wii'll get used to Wii, though. I'm sure all of us at first were a bit sceptacle about Wii's controller, but wii later realized how many possibilities it had. Of course, wii'll probably get used to Wii a bit slower than wii did with the controller.

Sorry about all the wii puns.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Speedfreak: A "badass" name would put people off. Remember, they're trying to appeal to non-gamers, people of all ages and both sexes. You need something that doesn't sound macho, like Xbox 360, or like a gaming machine as with PlayStation.
Well that's a dumb logic. What you're saying is it shouldn't sound like the name of a game console so non-gamers will like it... even though it is a game console? Rather it should be named a primitive one syllable sound that a new born baby can make, complete with idiotic spelling. Yeah, that'll sure attract new comers. And I hate their whole plan of appealing to "non-gamers" to begin with. WTF? Why not try to instead appeal to gamers that have been playing for years and are more passionate towards games in the first place.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Last Fog: Well that's a dumb logic. What you're saying is it shouldn't sound like the name of a game console so non-gamers will like it... even though it is a game console? Rather it should be named a primitive one syllable sound that a new born baby can make, complete with idiotic spelling. Yeah, that'll sure attract new comers. And I hate their whole plan of appealing to "non-gamers" to begin with. WTF? Why not try to instead appeal to gamers that have been playing for years and are more passionate towards games in the first place.

Well... I guess we'll just have to see how it works out, Maybe it will... Maybe it won't. :(

Posted by Speedfreak

GAMECUBE!? That's a STUPID name. They should've kept it as Dolphin, it's a MUCH better name!

^^^^ anyone still agree with that? Because that's precisely what happened 5 years ago.

Either way, people complaining frankly know bugger-all about marketing. iPod is a bloody stupid name really, but it's popular. Figure out why, then look at "Wii" in the same light.

[quote=Last Fog]Well that's a dumb logic. What you're saying is it shouldn't sound like the name of a game console so non-gamers will like it... even though it is a game console? Rather it should be named a primitive one syllable sound that a new born baby can make, complete with idiotic spelling. Yeah, that'll sure attract new comers. And I hate their whole plan of appealing to "non-gamers" to begin with. WTF? Why not try to instead appeal to gamers that have been playing for years and are more passionate towards games in the first place.

And here's one of them now!

Nintendo are trying to appeal to everyone and distinguish themselves from the competition by being completely different. How are they going to do that with a name that sounds just like the others? Do you have any idea how many adults I've heard say "Gamebox" or "Playcube thing"?
Do you think they're going to be making those kinds of generalisations when the system has a name and an image completely different from the others?

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Speedfreak: GAMECUBE!? That's a STUPID name. They should've kept it as Dolphin, it's a MUCH better name!

^^^^ anyone still agree with that? Because that's precisely what happened 5 years ago.

Either way, people complaining frankly know bugger-all about marketing. iPod is a bloody stupid name really, but it's popular. Figure out why, then look at "Wii" in the same light.

Thats actually a good point, iPod is a terrible name, and in a way, its very similar to "Wii". They tried to be creative with the 2 i's being the controller or whatever, But I don't think that worked out too well. :(

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Speedfreak: GAMECUBE!? That's a STUPID name. They should've kept it as Dolphin, it's a MUCH better name!

I agree with that. At least dolphin is more intuitive than gamecube. I hate gamecube. You shouldn't have the word "game" in the name for a console. Cause then it sounds redundant saying something like "how many gamecube games do you have".. or "I like this gamecube game".

[quote]
And here's one of them now!

Nintendo are trying to appeal to everyone and distinguish themselves from the competition by being completely different. How are they going to do that with a name that sounds just like the others? Do you have any idea how many adults I've heard say "Gamebox" or "Playcube thing"?
Do you think they're going to be making those kinds of generalisations when the system has a name and an image completely different from the others?I agree it's good to be original. But being different and original doesn't mean it should be lame. Wii is such an incredibly stupid name that it's mind boggling that's what a whole group of people decided on. It's not even a word. I'd rather they called it the nintendo flyswatter for ***'s sake.

Tell someone who's never heard of it about the nintendo wii, guarenteed they make you repeat yourself or ask what it stands for. Then you say it stands for nothing, and they give you a confused look.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=NightmareBassX]Thats actually a good point, iPod is a terrible name, and in a way, its very similar to "Wii". They tried to be creative with the 2 i's being the controller or whatever, But I don't think that worked out too well. :(

I actually think Nintendo have completely ripped off Apple's marketing, look at it this way.

Apple's products, iMac, iTunes and iPod are all personal, customisable products for a single person. The "i" in the names represents you, as in your pod, your Mac, your music store.

Nintendo from the very beginning said that they wanted Revolution to be a system that everyone in the household played, not just the gamers. In essence that means a product that isn't personalised by one person, but shared by many. The "I" becomes a "we". "We" by itself is far too plain, just as IPod would be. Apple made the I distinctive by making it lower case, Nintendo chose to spell We with different letters, and used 2 lower case "i"s because they look like 2 people. 2 people become "we", which loops back into the name.

[quote=Last Fog]Tell someone who's never heard of it about the nintendo wii, guarenteed they make you repeat yourself or ask what it stands for.

By Jove, I think he's got it!

Welcome to marketing 101.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Last Fog]Tell someone who's never heard of it about the nintendo wii, guarenteed they make you repeat yourself or ask what it stands for.

By Jove, I think he's got it!

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Speedfreak: By Jove, I think he's got it!

Doesn't mean they're interested. Call me crazy but if a product has a dumb name that's a turn off. If I knew nothing about either and I was given the choice of an Xbox, or a Wii, hmmm... wonder what I'd pick. Xbox is a cool and attractive name. Of course I know enough about what it offers to know its not for me. But a non-gamer making a first time purchase would go for the cool sounding machine. Common sense.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Speedfreak: I actually think Nintendo have completely ripped off Apple's marketing, look at it this way.

Apple's products, iMac, iTunes and iPod are all personal, customisable products for a single person. The "i" in the names represents you, as in your pod, your Mac, your music store.

Nintendo from the very beginning said that they wanted Revolution to be a system that everyone in the household played, not just the gamers. In essence that means a product that isn't personalised by one person, but shared by many. The "I" becomes a "we". "We" by itself is far too plain, just as IPod would be. Apple made the I distinctive by making it lower case, Nintendo chose to spell We with different letters, and used 2 lower case "i"s because they look like 2 people. 2 people become "we", which loops back into the name.

Thats not fully what I meant. I know it was had a meaning. But I don't think people in a "standard" sense would think of it that way. Im saying the meaning is a bit complicated for those who don't bother. People can quickly judge by the name.

We also know there was stupid names in the past (Google, ipod, Yahoo, etc.) but the thing is... Most people are biased against Nintendo. They see the controller, "sucks". They see the name, "Stupid". Most people aren't as intuative as you or the others on this board. They will quickly assume the console is bad. I don't mind the name, but people will... And thats the thing that bothers me most.

Posted by ShiroiHikari

Quoting NightmareBassX: Which is also the reason having a more "badass" name would help them, not in my case, but in the eyes of the people who think it is "failing". :(

That is why.. Nintendo's Assault Rifle Yakuza is more badass! thatll show the people that nintendo is still hip and cool.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting Last Fog: Doesn't mean they're interested. Call me crazy but if a product has a dumb name that's a turn off. If I knew nothing about either and I was given the choice of an Xbox, or a Wii, hmmm... wonder what I'd pick. Xbox is a cool and attractive name. Of course I know enough about what it offers to know its not for me. But a non-gamer making a first time purchase would go for the cool sounding machine. Common sense.

Dude, Speedy made an excellent point with the IPod thing. IPod is the gayest name for an mp3 player I have ever heard. For those that agree with me, they didn't see it as a total turn off just because of the name. For crying out loud look how mnay people own ipods today. Stupid name or not, it still sold excellently and almost EVERYONE has one today. And to tell you the truth, the name should be the least of anyone's worries. I could care less about the name of any product as long as it appeals to my liking. Plus I don't think people just buy things for the hell of it. People just don't say "gee what the hell is an X-box? I think I will buy one because it sounds cool." No, people do research. They read or look into more. You think I said "gee IPod is a gay name, even though I don't know what the hell it is, I'm not buying it because it sounds gay." No I actually looked into more, heard what peopel had to say about it, see what it had to offer, etc. and sooner or later I bought one.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Mystic Hero: Dude, Speedy made an excellent point with the IPod thing. IPod is the gayest name for an mp3 player I have ever heard. For those that agree with me, they didn't see it as a total turn off just because of the name. For crying out loud look how mnay people own ipods today. Stupid name or not, it still sold excellently and almost EVERYONE has one today. And to tell you the truth, the name should be the least of anyone's worries. I could care less about the name of any product as long as it appeals to my liking. Plus I don't think people just buy things for the hell of it. People just don't say "gee what the hell is an X-box? I think I will buy one because it sounds cool." No, people do research. They read or look into more. You think I said "gee IPod is a gay name, even though I don't know what the hell it is, I'm not buying it because it sounds gay." No I actually looked into more, heard what peopel had to say about it, see what it had to offer, etc. and sooner or later I bought one.
These "non-gamers" that Nintendo is so avidly trying to appeal to aren't going to research ****. Otherwise they'd be gamers! They just wanna buy something to keep them amuzed and probably don't put much thought into the choice. So in that sense a name is something important.

Posted by brownoystercult

Names dun't mean **** when it comes to consoles. I'd think a bunch of people would just stick to calling it "Revolution" when it's in their household opposed to Wii, so it really doesn't matter.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Roinkz: Names dun't mean **** when it comes to consoles. I'd think a bunch of people would just stick to calling it "Revolution" when it's in their household opposed to Wii, so it really doesn't matter.
For something that doesn't mean **** it's pretty impressive to garner 7 pages of comments in less than a day.

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Last Fog: These "non-gamers" that Nintendo is so avidly trying to appeal to aren't going to research ****. Otherwise they'd be gamers! They just wanna buy something to keep them amuzed and probably don't put much thought into the choice. So in that sense a name is something important.

People looking to keep themselves "amuzed" aren't going to spend hundreds of dollars extra for a cooler name.

Posted by coromoro

My friend and I were joking around yesterday on how the Revolution would probably be renamed to something more friendly-sounding, like "Family Box" or something. Now I can say that Wii (couldn't resist the pun) were right to an extent.

I don't like the name very much at the moment, but I can tell it'll grow on me, and I will end up liking it... :cool:

Posted by Moogs

Why? Why didn't they leave it the Nintendo Revolution. I think Nintendo GO Was better than that...

Posted by Linko_16

I was a bit "wtf" at first, but I'm already pretty much used to it.

I also agree with Soul: game systems are expensive, and people aren't just going to decide based on the name. The name is just there as an attention grabber, which "Wii" may or may not do. Like all the current generation names, it's very recognizable and will definately make non-gamers ask if it's acknowledged, but since it's a common English word, the conversation may go by without notice.

Either way, it's still better than "N-Gage."

Posted by s0ul

Ha, the name was far and away the best part of the N-Gage :p

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Unite:

Talking about Xbox, right?
Since there's nothing left but a corner with one of them Xboxes....:o

/8 pages?!.... Oh well. :rolleyes:

Posted by Speedfreak

Last Fog: The fact that you think Xbox is a cool and attractive name just goes to show how little you know about marketing.

When I think of "Xbox" I think of "X-treme", andeverything that's trying to look cool always portrays itself as "X-treme". It's not unique or original nor is it not clever. It's an extremely bland name.

Wii should be directly compared to the "360" component of the new Xbox's name. They're both as ridiculous as eachother, the difference is a heck of a lot more thought went into "Wii" than "360".

When marketing comes up with a name for a product their aim is always to make it feel and sound different, to make it controversial. These things make it interesting and talked about. The fact that Microsoft went with "Xbox" just goes to show how much they screwed up with marketing first time round.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Speedfreak: Last Fog: The fact that you think Xbox is a cool and attractive name just goes to show how little you know about marketing.

When I think of "Xbox" I think of "X-treme", andeverything that's trying to look cool always portrays itself as "X-treme". It's not unique or original nor is it not clever. It's an extremely bland name.

Wii should be directly compared to the "360" component of the new Xbox's name. They're both as ridiculous as eachother, the difference is a heck of a lot more thought went into "Wii" than "360".

When marketing comes up with a name for a product their aim is always to make it feel and sound different, to make it controversial. These things make it interesting and talked about. The fact that Microsoft went with "Xbox" just goes to show how much they screwed up with marketing first time round.

xbox isn't a bad name but it's still alot better than wii wii.

Posted by Speedfreak

Ugh, I swear to God you're a total fucking imbecile.
Get the hell out, I can't even be bothered to discuss it with someone who lacks the intellect to even provide reasoning for their opinions.

Every single debate I've had with you has boiled down to you not being able to put anything behind what you're saying and resorting to pathetic childish comments.

Whatever, go play with your Fisher Price Play Station baby toy or your super extreme power Xbox if that's what you need to do to feel cool. Wii don't need to pretend to be cool by attacking anything that might be a threat, Wii already are.

Posted by Unite

LOL getting mad speed

Your biggest nintendo fanboy here , you haven't changed at all. The new name just proved it or you have really bad tastes when it comes to names. You need a reason why wii is bad name? Speed you use to gang up on tons of people back in day, did it make you feel cool? You even do it now for example http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=11484 you didn't like this thread so you attack him and tried to make him lock his post up. Speed next time you go after innocent person i will be there.

Posted by Moogs

I like the concept of Wii being "we"... the only good thing about it...

Posted by Random

Why didn't Nintendo just keep the name "Revolution" ??? I mean it was a kick*** name and it's sorta like they're attempting a Revolution and fight back hardcore. But Wii... How do you even pronounce that? it's not like "We" is it? That'd sound silly.

Posted by Moogs

It is "We"...

Posted by Unite

Quoting SomebodyRandom: Why didn't Nintendo just keep the name "Revolution" ??? I mean it was a kick*** name and it's sorta like they're attempting a Revolution and fight back hardcore. But Wii... How do you even pronounce that? it's not like "We" is it? That'd sound silly.

It is "we"

Posted by Random

You've got to be S*itting me... Why? Thats like calling the PS3 the Sony US. I don't get it? I thought Revolution was a kick*** name.. Why call it Wii[I] I mean it could be worse but.. That couldn't have had much thought put into it. Oh well I guess it won't change the gameplay so what does it matter.

Quoted post: IGN Wii: We're now called IGN Wii. How could you do this to us?

Perrin Kaplan: Say that again.

IGN Wii: It is pronounced like "we," right?

Perrin Kaplan: Yes, as in inclusive, you and me. So how could I do it to you?

IGN Wii: Yes. Don't you guys think about us when you do these things?

Perrin Kaplan: I think about you pretty much 24/7.

IGN: Well, of course you do.

Perrin Kaplan: Let me just tell you that if you're disrupted by it today, it's obviously caught your attention. And at the show, you're going to get to try out a lot of products that will make you happy.

IGN Wii: Revolution seemed to be a pretty cool code-name that a lot of our readers liked. Why abandon it?

Perrin Kaplan: You know, I thought it was a neat name, too, but it's not as fitting for what we're trying to do. You think about Google being an unusual name. You think about Virgin Airlines. Amazon. Napster. All those. I think it's as unique as those. They aren't just unique, but loved names for places that we all know. And I think this is more fitting and the two Is work on a bunch of different levels. It looks like two people with heads who can play, which is the inclusive nature of everybody. It looks like the controllers. So for us it looked like a couple of different levels.

IGN Wii: You have said that you're going for a name that's unique, like Google. But Wii is also used as "we" every day and therefore only unique in spelling. Do you think there is a risk of confusing potential buyers with a title like this?

Perrin Kaplan: I think it's really fun to look at, the logo. I think people are going to see that on the box and our package art. I think people will get it straight after a while - it's just something they're going to have to get used to.

IGN Wii: Was the name decided on out of Japan or was it a global decision by Nintendo?

Perrin Kaplan: It's a global name. As most things at Nintendo are done, it was not done by any individual. It was really a team effort.

IGN Wii: How long have you known about the new name?

Perrin Kaplan: Well, let me see. We've been working on a name for a good year and have had this one in mind for some time.

IGN Wii: Simplicity seems to be part of the reasoning behind the new name. Why not just spell it "We" then?

Perrin Kaplan: I think that there's a really strong visual to it by having it symbolize the controllers and symbolize people. And, as you pronounce it, the Wii does stand for that whole worldwide inclusion of players. So you get both out of it.

IGN Wii: The logo and the video teaser you put out seem to stress the plurality of the name. What message can we take away from that?

Perrin Kaplan: I think it's just a reminder that the system can be played individually or be played by a lot of people. It is for people of all sized and shapes. It's really a system for everybody. It's a system for the core gamers. It's a system for the people who are just going to be re-entering gaming. I think that's what people can get from it.

IGN Wii: Why announce the final name now and not at E3 2006?

Perrin Kaplan: Why are we doing it now? Well, let me just say that if you look at how much time people have spent online talking about it today and paying attention to it today, it really, I think, required that kind of attention and seeping in for people to let it settle a little bit. It would be really, really easy to lose that at the show. Also, I think it's important for us to go into the show with people knowing what we're talking about.

IGN Wii: Some overzealous readers have created some truly phallic Wii designs. We e-mailed you several of them, as you saw. Any plans to use any of these brilliant materials in your official marketing plans?

Perrin Kaplan: What a nice way of asking that question! We actually have had a day of a lot of smiles around here with a variety of things that fans have created, let me just say that. It shows you that people are big fans of Nintendo.

IGN Wii: Do you think it will come as a shock to some of the Nintendo leaders back in Japan to see some of these fan-created Wii graphics?

Perrin Kaplan: Well, they might have to find those themselves.

IGN Wii: Some fans have already started petitions in hopes of somehow convincing Nintendo to change the name. Any message for these people?

Perrin Kaplan: Live with it, sleep with it, eat with it, move along with it and hopefully they'll arrive at the same place.

IGN: So will Wii be your focus at E3, or will DS have its place, too?

Perrin Kaplan: We're going to be focusing on both, as you probably know. We know people are really interested in hearing about the new system so we will obviously be having a big portion of our focus on it.

Anywho, the name has all ready grown on me. Wish it could be better, but the logo is cool, and the name is so stupid that it's actually pretty all right.

Quoted post: You've got to be S*itting me... Why? Thats like calling the PS3 the Sony US. I don't get it? I thought Revolution was a kick*** name.. Why call it Wii I mean it could be worse but.. That couldn't have had much thought put into it. Oh well I guess it won't change the gameplay so what does it matter.

What do you mean "why?". Take a guess, it's easy to figure out. They're trying to focus on everyone an a unit. It's not "you and him" or "me and you", "it's us". It's pretty much exactly like "Xbox 360". Just more family friendly.

Yeah, your average person knows bugger all about marketing - but that's exactly the point, I think. The average person isn't going to look at Wii and think 'whoa, I want to find out more about this'. They're going to think 'heh, wee' and move on to something more adult.

Indeed. Even people who know what it means are doing exactly that.

Hm. To be fair - I just read [url="http://blog.wired.com/games/index.blog?entry_id=1467976"]Wired's games blog[/url] and found myself kind of agreeing. And I think that this line sums it up:

'If you're feeling enraged, picked on, or left out, I highly encourage you -- as I would have encouraged you yesterday -- to go out and buy an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. If Nintendo is right, and I think they are, you'll end up with a Wii anyway.'

And that makes sense. But I think that my point is that that would have happened with such a name as the Revolution. Okay, so the Japanese probably couldn't pronounce it properly. But I've been wondering - apart from Revolution, what other names were cast aside before 'Wii'? It's not as if this is the be all and end-all of names - there are much better ones out there to choose from. Grab a page at random from the OED, even.

I just can't see this as anything other than a step backward. It's just that they'd taken such a far step forward beforehand, and this brings them back to level pegging.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Speedfreak: Ugh, I swear to God you're a total fucking imbecile.
Get the hell out, I can't even be bothered to discuss it with someone who lacks the intellect to even provide reasoning for their opinions.

Every single debate I've had with you has boiled down to you not being able to put anything behind what you're saying and resorting to pathetic childish comments.

Whatever, go play with your Fisher Price Play Station baby toy or your super extreme power Xbox if that's what you need to do to feel cool. Wii don't need to pretend to be cool by attacking anything that might be a threat, Wii already are.

I think this post was unnecessary... He can think X-box is a good name. Its all a matter of opinion.

Quoting Unite: LOL getting mad speed

Your biggest nintendo fanboy here , you haven't changed at all. The new name just proved it or you have really bad tastes when it comes to names. You need a reason why wii is bad name? Speed you use to gang up on tons of people back in day, did it make you feel cool? You even do it now for example http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=11484 you didn't like this thread so you attack him and tried to make him lock his post up. Speed next time you go after innocent person i will be there.

If speed is a Nintendo fanboy (I can't tell...), then he isn't one of the high degree ones. You always bring **** up about his past and such, when in reality, you need to shut the fuck up already. The only people who really complain about Speed are you, or maybe the newer members who haven't felt his 'wrath'. ;)

Speed may act like a self-centered ass sometimes, but at least he is no idiot.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Unite]LOL getting mad speed

Your biggest nintendo fanboy here , you haven't changed at all. The new name just proved it or you have really bad tastes when it comes to names. You need a reason why wii is bad name? Speed you use to gang up on tons of people back in day, did it make you feel cool? You even do it now for example [URL="http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=11484"]http://www.vgchat.com/showthread.php?t=11484[/URL] you didn't like this thread so you attack him and tried to make him lock his post up. Speed next time you go after innocent person i will be there.

This is ridiculous, do you even read anything I say? At what point did I say I liked the name? What's your rebuttle for all the reasons I'm not a fanboy? How can I gang up on people by myself?

You never answer these questions, you're a broken record. You just repeat the same old tired crap until your opponent gives up trying to smack some sense into you.

EDIT: What the fuck!? How the hell was my first post an attack!? The guy was spamming up the boards with thread after thread and I still had the restraint to give him some links to find his own information! Jesus Christ, you really are living on another planet.

Posted by NightmareBassX

"In short, the fuss over Wii is an Internet Problem, not a Real Life Problem. In real life, the name's soundalike will pass almost entirely without notice. The positives of Wii will vastly outweigh the negatives."

I also agree. He put it together pretty nicely. I actually never thought of it like that, but the opposite. I was thinking that since the name could sound silly at first, the people (real life) would quickly assume its a bad name, being that they didn't put thought into the meaning. Maybe it can be the other way around, but they wouldn't think the meaning was silly either.

Posted by Unite

Quoting NightmareBassX]I think this post was unnecessary... He can think X-box is a good name. Its all a matter of opinion.

If speed is a Nintendo fanboy (I can't tell...), then he isn't one of the high degree ones. You always bring **** up about his past and such, when in reality, you need to shut the fuck up already. The only people who really complain about Speed are you, or maybe the newer members who haven't felt his 'wrath'. : s[/color]s sometimes, but at least he is no idiot.

ah part of problem here is people allow him to act like an *******. You see night people like you have allowed speed to act this way for 4 years with out any problems what so ever.

Quoted post: "In short, the fuss over Wii is an Internet Problem, not a Real Life Problem. In real life, the name's soundalike will pass almost entirely without notice. The positives of Wii will vastly outweigh the negatives."

I also agree. He put it together pretty nicely. I actually never thought of it like that, but the opposite. I was thinking that since the name could sound silly at first, the people (real life) would quickly assume its a bad name, being that they didn't put thought into the meaning. Maybe it can be the other way around, but they wouldn't think the meaning was silly either.

I disagree. I think it's a real life problem. Wii looks awesome as text and as a logo, but the second I speak it out loud, I think it sounds a tad silly. Whether that's what the person meant, it don't care. But chances are, if the internet was able to make the connection between wii and p[COLOR="White"]is[/COLOR]s so quickly, I have a feeling the rest of the world will be able to also.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Speedfreak: This is ridiculous, do you even read anything I say? At what point did I say I liked the name? What's your rebuttle for all the reasons I'm not a fanboy? How can I gang up on people by myself?

You never answer these questions, you're a broken record. You just repeat the same old tired crap until your opponent gives up trying to smack some sense into you.

EDIT: What the fuck!? How the hell was my first post an attack!? The guy was spamming up the boards with thread after thread and I still had the restraint to give him some links to find his own information! Jesus Christ, you really are living on another planet.

spamming the boards as you say, show me what u call spamming. What did the guy in suikoden 5 thread do wrong?

You have people here who will stick up for you no matter what you say. Vamp noticed it in one thread but he dosen't say anything about it.

now back to the name

ipods not greatest name but it is catchy,
Now what made ipod stand out was apples excellent marketing all comericals adds were everywhere. I went in to future shop to look at mp3 players and i noticed they had huge stand for ipods. The difference is nintendo can't exactly do that as you know, different sistuation. The Name nintendo chose has made things alot harder for them selves, nintendo dosen't need that right now. Nintendo has had problems with marketing as you know, people thinking the gc is for kids etc. Nintendo need a bit more of what you hate if you want to see then survive threw out the years.

Posted by Random

Eh in Speedies defense he has changed a lot. He used to be a lot worse. As did I so I compliment him for not being such the fanboy that once lived.

In anycase this topic is getting way off topic. The names not important anyways. Who cares right? The Name doesn't mean anything. My name could be Glagger and it'd sound retarded but maybe i'm a really nice guy y'know?

Quoted post: Vamp noticed it in one thread but he dosen't say anything about it.

What, his fanboyism? Yeah, I thought I did until I got into an argument and realised I was wrong. That's why I never bring it up anymore.

Quoted post: In anycase this topic is getting way off topic. The names not important anyways. Who cares right? The Name doesn't mean anything. My name could be Glagger and it'd sound retarded but maybe i'm a really nice guy y'know?

Like I said in an earlier post, a name does matter. In your example, it's all about first impressions. Glagger might make a bad first impression and it might take people awhile for them to warm up to you and realise you're not so bad. But it's that while that could really hurt you. It might improve over time, or it might not. It depends on hwo tolerant people are.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Vampiro: I disagree. I think it's a real life problem. Wii looks awesome as text and as a logo, but the second I speak it out loud, I think it sounds a tad silly. Whether that's what the person meant, it don't care. But chances are, if the internet was able to make the connection between wii and p[COLOR="White"]is[/COLOR]s so quickly, I have a feeling the rest of the world will be able to also.

I meant I agree'd with wings, In the beginning. Then I brought up the quote, and how maybe it can turn around. Im not sure it can come up like that, but we mine as well see.

Quoting Unite: ah part of problem here is people allow him to act like an *******. You see night people like you have allowed speed to act this way for 4 years with out any problems what so ever.

No. I defended UberPendragon in the Suikoden 5 thread. I can make up my mind when something is unacceptable. I have also defended you in this thread once. Most people know how Speedy acts, and sometimes he can say things that someone doesn't like (Don't we all?), but he contributes to this website, So I can respect his attitude. The thing your doing is TRYING to make Speedy admit he is a fanboy in every **** thread I've seen you argue with him in. Im defending Speedy because I don't think he acts like a fanboy. Who cares if he was an ass back then? Can you just stop now?

Posted by Klarth

Posted by Unite

Quoting Vampiro: What, his fanboyism? Yeah, I thought I did until I got into an argument and realised I was wrong. That's why I never bring it up anymore.

Like I said in an earlier post, a name does matter. In your example, it's all about first impressions. Glagger might make a bad first impression and it might take people awhile for them to warm up to you and realise you're not so bad. But it's that while that could really hurt you. It might improve over time, or it might not. It depends on hwo tolerant people are.

i was talking about his attitude

Posted by Random

Quoting Vampiro: Like I said in an earlier post, a name does matter. In your example, it's all about first impressions. Glagger might make a bad first impression and it might take people awhile for them to warm up to you and realise you're not so bad. But it's that while that could really hurt you. It might improve over time, or it might not. It depends on hwo tolerant people are.

Though a name is a bad first impression, after people try it out and like it then others will join. It's really word of mouth. I do understand where you come from and people will mock the name probably for a long while, but if the gameplay is awesome and people enjoy it, it'll be a well sold console.

Hmmm

This Little Piggy Went to the Market (NES)

This Little Piggy Stayed Home (SNES)

This Little Piggy Had Roast Beef (N64)

This Little Piggy Had None (GCN)

This Little Piggy went Wii Wii Wii all the way home :-P

Don't ask... I'm EXTREMLEY BORED

Quoted post: i was talking about his attitude

Speedfreak can sometimes have a bad attitude? NO WAY!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone notices that. But who cares? He adds good insight and seems to know quite a lot more than most people on this site about video games.

Quoted post:
Though a name is a bad first impression, after people try it out and like it then others will join. It's really word of mouth. I do understand where you come from and people will mock the name probably for a long while, but if the gameplay is awesome and people enjoy it, it'll be a well sold console.

Indeed. The controller and games have to be really good. If they are and if they live up to the hype, then I don't think Wii will have too much a problem.

Posted by Unite

Quoting NightmareBassX: I meant I agree'd with you, In the beginning. Then I brought up the quote, and how maybe it can turn around. Im not sure it can come up like that, but we mine as well see.

No. I defended UberPendragon in the Suikoden 5 thread. I can make up my mind when something is unacceptable. I have also defended you in this thread once. Most people know how Speedy acts, and sometimes he can say things that someone doesn't like (Don't we all?), but he contributes to this website, So I can respect his attitude. The thing your doing is TRYING to make Speedy admit he is a fanboy in every **** thread I've seen you argue with him in. Im defending Speedy because I don't think he acts like a fanboy. Who cares if he was an ass back then? Can you just stop now?

I will stop for now and turn a blind eye to it.

Posted by Random

I guess I probably couldn't come up with a better name. Heck look at my username.. SomebodyRandom.. What a dumb*** name.

I'd probably call my game system DragonZord :-P

And it'd be green and i'd nickname it Tommy. MWUAHAHA

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting SomebodyRandom: I guess I probably couldn't come up with a better name. Heck look at my username.. SomebodyRandom.. What a dumb*** name.

I'd probably call my game system DragonZord :-P

And it'd be green and i'd nickname it Tommy. MWUAHAHA

Haha.

Thomas! Where is-ith thee?

Posted by Drewboy64

Oh my ***. I may be a huge Nintendo fanboy, but I really, REALLY want them to change the name Wii. It won't stop me from buying a Revolution, but it will certainly stop others who were originally considering to purchase a Rev. The new name is terrible. The logo looks good, the spelling is unique, but it's by far worse than Revolution. I really pray that Nintendo changes the name due to the large amount of negative responses, or that they send out brainwave-altering beams that make us all like the name Wii.

Wiiva la revolution.

Posted by Zeta

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Speedfreak: Last Fog: The fact that you think Xbox is a cool and attractive name just goes to show how little you know about marketing.

Read the following once more and tell me it doesn't sound cheesy and is one bit clever.

[quote] April 27, 2006 - Nintendo revealed this morning that the official name of its formerly codenamed Revolution system is Nintendo Wii.

The Big N explained the decision behind the name in a statement, which we've provided below:

Introducing... Wii.

As in "we."

While the code-name Revolution expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that seperates videogame players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?

Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people playing it. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of videogames that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything.

They used the pun themselves nearly a dozen times right there. The last line is by far one of the corniest ones ever. Together, Wii will change everything. That's what's called good marketing? Because it looks pretty silly to me. Not to mention it furthers the idea of a revolution, changing everything. If thats the case they should have left the name as that instead of a stupid pun.

The problem I have is how it sounds. The name looks cool, but I can't say it seriously. And they say there's no confusion, it can be said around the world, I doubt it. When I first saw "Wii" I pronounced it "why" like many people will do. Others may spell it out. So if anything it'll cause more confusion, whereas Xbox is more fool proof.

Posted by Linko_16

I'm going to side with Wings on this one: X-Box may not be as creative of a name, but it had a simplistic rhyme and rhythm to it that easily made it a household word. I still think Wii is just fine, but it doesn't have the same marketing qualities of X-Box or iPod or Google or whatever.

Quoting Unite: LOL getting mad speed

Speed is not a fanboy, nor does he "gang up" on anyone. He is very strong-spoken about his opinions and may get frustrated when not understood, but unlike a certain trolling jackass, his comments are made to explain his point and not to offend or insult other people; how you think that the linked thread is an example of anything otherwise is beyond me. The only time he ever makes attacks on other members is when they really deserve it, and trust me, you deserve every slice of humble pie anybody can serve you.

Posted by Unite

Quoting Linko_16]I'm going to side with Wings on this one: X-Box may not be as creative of a name, but it had a simplistic rhyme and rhythm to it that easily made it a household word. I still think Wii is just fine, but it doesn't have the same marketing qualities of X-Box or iPod or Google or whatever.

Speed is not a fanboy, nor does he "gang up" on anyone. He is very strong-spoken about his opinions and may get frustrated when not understood, but unlike a certain trolling jacka
s[color=indigo]s, his comments are made to explain his point and not to offend or insult other people:

ah linko i expected to see you much earlier, such strong words i'm hurt. I see your even watching anime now. You even have ps2? i was shocked to see you on kingdom of hearts board. linko in my eyes your nothing but speeds cheerleader. Don't worry i will be turning a blind eye to him so peace. Looks like thread was moved to wiii board, since it's on wii board it will be considered trolling.

Shock, horror - Unite still doesn't realise he's not making a blind bit of difference.

And what's more - he's agreeing with you about Wii! You're attacking him because he knows someone on the boards better than you that you have an irrational dislike for! And that's all. Be a man, ffs.

Posted by Speedfreak

PSP has "pee" in it twice.

PS2 is the number 2 PlayStation, number 2 means poo.

Box is slang for vagina.

Wee is a word only toddlers use, Nintendo got off lightly.

If this weren't a Nintendo product the name would've gotten less flak, garunteed. People love to make fun of Nintendo, especially after DSs amazing success. They just can't handle the thought of their little scene having to share any cool with people that aren't like them.

Apparantly I haven't stated my opinion of the name, so I'll make it absolutely clear right now.

It's f[COLOR=lightgreen]u[/COLOR]cking bizarre. It sounds silly to say. The spelling looks like an alien language. Using the word "we" as a noun is gramatically incorrect. Anyone who doesn't understand the reasoning behind it (most people) will not understand the name. Most people who do read the blurb that Nintendo provided will think it's pretentious PR bollocks.
It's a strange name that we will all have to get used to. I'm making a start on it on getting used to it right now.

And I'm forcing everyone else to with this little message at the end of my sig. Despite my reservations about the name, I think the connection to the word "we" is a good one. "We" is a very powerful word, and Nintendo fans have enjoyed a rallying together ever since Reggie appeared on the scene, Wii is just another excuse.

And whoever hates it will just get more and more annoyed by it, so it's really a win-win situation.

I permit anyone who agrees with what I just said to do it aswell, nay, I encourage it. Nintendo fans have been on the defensive for far too long. It's about d[COLOR=lightgreen]a[/COLOR]mn time we really started pissing everyone off with our fandom.

Wii Will Rock You!

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Unite: ah linko i expected to see you much earlier, such strong words i'm hurt. I see your even watching anime now. You even have ps2? i was shocked to see you on kingdom of hearts board. linko in my eyes your nothing but speeds cheerleader. Don't worry i will be turning a blind eye to him so peace. Looks like thread was moved to wiii board, since it's on wii board it will be considered trolling.

You know what Unite? SHUT UP. Now you've just gotten pathetic. We are defending Speedy because apparently we know the way he acts better then you do, yet you bitch about it. You're a *** ****ed idiot. For christ sake, do you not learn!? After the people who have tried convincing you, YOU DO NOT LISTEN! You continuosly call them Speeds cheerleaders, or followers... BUT THATS NOT THE CASE. I'll tell you why he can be an ass, BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE YOU DON'T LISTEN!

God damnit, How can you be so stupid!? I tried to reason with you, so have the others, yet you don't listen.

Why can't you accept the way Speed acts? He hasn't even retaliated against your accusations much, yet other members have. You continue to block there reasoning for speedy's actions, WHY IS THAT?

God you need to learn. Continiously bitching about one members attitude makes you look immature. Get over it, he isn't your problem. If its really that bad, ignore what he says in other threads. If you don't, you encourage the way he acts to you.

I shouldn't have to elaborate this much, this is what people do when you get on there last nerve. Saying all this doesn't make me an asshole, it makes me truthful. It just gets annoying when it comes down to this many times you discard peoples reasons. Now

Sorry bout that guys, probably unnecessary but I had to get that out. Lotta "yets" eh? :(
Well, I don't know why I should care about the Wii's name anyway. Im going to buy it, although the name doesn't have much of a chance of positive feedback. But I don't see why somebody would quickly drop the idea of getting one because of its name. But I suppose you guys have been getting at that for sometime now.

Posted by Linko_16

Look, enough of this. Unite, we're all aware that you think Speed is a fanboy, and we've heard your reasoning for this (no matter how inconclusive it is). Everyone else, we all know Speed for what he really is, and that Unite's just being a jerk.

Any more posts from now on that aren't related to the new name will be deleted.

EDIT - And I've watched anime and had a PS2 for ages, by the way.

EDIT 2 - The below post was probably started before I could post this, so it's fine.

Posted by Mystic Hero

What happened to the cool Unite that actually had some respect for? I mean this new Unite is a total dickwhole and can't use good grammar worth of ****.
I'm going to try and be nice here, Unite please stfu about Speedy. Seriously, you haven't been here in a LONG time so you don't know how Speedy has actually lightened up over the years. And what Linko said is actually true. Speedy is oen of the msot intelligent gaming posters here. His insulting only happens when you get him REALLY frustrated, but he stills makes an excellent point about it. Seriously if you are going to come here and complain about members please go away k thnx bye.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Linko_16][COLOR=indigo]Look, enough of this. Unite, we're all aware that you think Speed is a fanboy, and we've heard your reasoning for this (no matter how inconclusive it is)[/COLOR]

Fill me in, because I sure haven't.

I honestly think this man is an imposter. Unite used to be able to spell, wasn't a total imbecile. He had his AIM handle in his profile (and doesn't know) and hasn't signed on since this guy started posting.

Wii Will Rock You!

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting Speedfreak: Fill me in, because I sure haven't.

I honestly think this man is an imposter. Unite used to be able to spell, wasn't a total imbecile. He had his AIM handle in his profile (and doesn't know) and hasn't signed on since this guy started posting.

Wii Will Rock You!

Yeah I kind of have to agree. I actually had respect for the old Unite, hell he was a cool guy. I don't know who the hell this guy is though.

Edit: Heh I read your post after I posted mine and didn't see it so I deleted it for you Linko.

Posted by Dog

i have to take a wii wii.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Mystic Hero: Yeah I kind of have to agree. I actually had respect for the old Unite, hell he was a cool guy. I don't know who the hell this guy is though.

Edit: Heh I read your post after I posted mine and didn't see it so I deleted it for you Linko.

Eh, I'll leave it to him to delete mine or not. Took a good 10 minutes of insults. :(

Posted by Zeta

Call it the 'Wiivolution'. BAM! Everyone wins!

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Zeta: Call it the 'Wiivolution'. BAM! Everyone wins!

Then it'd be like "Wevolution", like a 4 year old was saying it.

Posted by Drewboy64

I did it. I emailed nintendo in protest. I gave reasons why they should change it back, of course.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting Drewboy64: I did it. I emailed nintendo in protest. I gave reasons why they should change it back, of course.

Dude that is retarded, no offense to you or anything. Nintendo isn't one to take a gamer's opinion, trust me I have sent them e-mails in the past too. One protest won't do crap and you seriously need to let go of your nagging hatred for the name. Is it a terible name? Of course it is, but it isn't SO hideous that is MUST be changed, at least it seems that way to me.

Posted by Random

Heh I sent emails to Nintendo asking them to port more SNES titles to the GBA. Never worked... Didn't expect it to either. I was wishing :-\

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting Speedfreak:
Wii Will Rock You!

/win

I for one, think the name is goofy, but the logo sure as hell kicks ***. :)

I will buy the machine for sure.... on the day it comes out.... while chanting "Wii Will Rock You!" :)

And yes, I'm a Nintendo fanboy. :D

There's a petition somewhere asking to change the name back. Won't make a difference, of course.

Posted by maian

...It's starting to grow on me. I'm not going to go into the "Playstation and Xbox are crappy names" tangeant, because it's all been heard before.

This name will become normal, and everyone will know it. It's simple as that. It's good logo and simplistic, modern theme gives it a good image. Glad to see Nintendo isn't using Purple as it's main color now. Nintendo is changing, and I think it's great.

Not to mention, just think back on past Nintendo names. Or almost any game system name. Speedy brung this up in a convo. They're all "Some kind of gaming, playing word/some kind of box or cube or shape"

PlayStation?
X-Box?
GameCube?

They're all the same. Wii is unique.

Posted by Fate

Of course it'll grow on people. I just won't say the name out loud.

Nintendo have always chosen names that described the system, though. This is evidence that they're changing. For the better or not, I don't know.

But imagine introducing to to someone who doesn't know about it.

Posted by Speedfreak

I've been calling Nintendo systems "Nintendo" for the past 19 years anyway.

Wii Will Rock You!

Posted by maian

Well, in my opinion, they're changing for the better.

Not only do they have a better look, they're doing something completely different. This last console war dealt with systems that were all pretty much the same. Played discs, used similar controllers, etc. And then, you end up getting tons of multiplatform games, most of which are mediocre.

But now? People will look at XB360 and PS3, and think "which one has better graphics? Which one plays games better? Which one looks more sleak?" It's more of deciding which is more powerful, as opposed to it's games.

Now, with Gamecube, people thought "Wow, Nintendo sucks. Purple, kiddy games, bad graphics" But they can't really compare Wii to the others, now can they? If it does have multiplatform games, they'll be played entirely differently, rather than a run-of-the-mill clone. People might look at it and think "Wow, Nintendo sucks" But, it'll be more like "Nintendo sucks, but what is this? I'll give it a try"

Not to mention Microsoft and Sony will have a hard time competing with the Wii, since it's so different. If I sound like an idiot, just ignore me. It's my opinion. :)

Posted by Fate

I think this new name will give people more reasons to not buy it, stateside, anyways. To but it bluntly, a lot of the market is "cool," full of wiggas, niggas, children, and ignorant parents that want cool things for them. "Wii" simply is not cool. Now that PlayStation and Xbox are established names (abbreviations of both are in their favor; the "X" in front of "box" is what makes it work), it is much easier to be accepted. "Revolution" was a very cool name, even if it didn't roll off the tongue. Now it is horrifically uncool. I am a gamer, and I will buy the system regardless. The name is just gay. That's it. Chances are some people won't buy it solely on the lack of cool. :/

Posted by Random

Don't get me wrong I think the Nintendo Wii will sell well, I expect much better than the Gamecube but I don't think it can really compete with either Microsoft or Sony. No matter how innovative or how great the system is, there are just too many MS/Sony fanboys out there. Trust me I used to try to find out what was so great about the PS2. Personally I don't care for it. I had stupid morons who told me the PS2 had the best in graphics overall out of the three. I could have even proven them wrong and they're opinion wouldn't change that it had better graphics. Blah...

Posted by Speedfreak

Believe it or not, there are more Nintendo fanboys out there than any other. Most people grew up playing Nintendo games, and most casual gamers couldn't give a damn what they played as long as they're having fun.

The fact of the matter is Nintendo are aiming for a market not even looked at by the competition, a market several times bigger than the current market.

http://www.american-sk8land.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5004

That's your average cross-section of the market. Outside the market, I can only predict there will be fewer people saying 'it's only the games that matter'.

Posted by Random

I guess even I can be considered somewhat of a Nintendo fanboy. I was disappointed a lot in the Gamecube and the N64 and I sort of started to lean towards Microsoft during this console war. But I realize i'll buy a Nintendo Wii. To be honest I enjoy Nintendo made games. I enjoy my action pact online shooters, but I do enjoy my Mario's and my Zelda's.

I hope the Nintendo Wii does a kick*** job.

Posted by mis0

I barfed. They better revert to Revolution.

Actually, I don't care. If anything, I'll be getting a PS3 because whatever they do for Gran Turismo on it will be win.

[quote]Believe it or not, there are more Nintendo fanboys out there than any other. Most people grew up playing Nintendo games, and most casual gamers couldn't give a damn what they played as long as they're having fun.
This is true. I had an NES and an Atari 2600 as a kid, and always got games that were fun. I never bought a console because of what it could do, but rather, what was availible for it. That's why I likeboth Nintendo and Sony, as well as SNK.

Posted by CS Ryan

In disgust of the new name, I'm thinking up an acronym for the system.

Well
It
I...

What can I put in the third letter? I can't think of any word that starts with "i" and means ****ing stupid.

Posted by mis0

WELL IT'S INTELLIGENT?
WELL IT'S IDIOTIC?

Posted by CS Ryan

Thanks for the help.

Well
It's
Idiotic!

Anyone got something better. I don't feel like getting out a thesaurus.

Posted by maian

"Let's go play our Well It's Idiotic!"

Good luck. :(

Posted by NightmareBassX

Warning : Intentionally Incapacitates?

Posted by GameMiestro

Wow, what a really stupid name...

Posted by Ant

You're a really stupid name

Posted by Slade

"It's all about Wii."

Now I'm just interchanging the word "Wii" with "we," so the statement above makes me confused.

I think I'll call it "WHY."

As in.. why wouldn't anyone LOVE the new name?
:(

Posted by ExoXile

I kinda like the name, but it sounds better said in a Swedish way.
You, western people.... Just, live with it. :D

Posted by Dog

lookie what i found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1TnDZblNyU&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Epoetv%2Ecom%2Fvideo%2Ephp%3Fvid%3D2558

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Shdig]lookie what i found.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1TnDZblNyU&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Epoetv%2Ecom%2Fvideo%2Ephp%3Fvid%3D2558"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1TnDZblNyU&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Epoetv%2Ecom%2Fvideo%2Ephp%3Fvid%3D2558[/URL]

That video is actually on the official revolution page at nintendo.com.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Speedfreak: That video is actually on the official revolution page at nintendo.com.

Yeah, I saw that yesterday I think.

Posted by GameMiestro

Wii can't run, Wii can't hide.

Posted by Big Boss

It's easy to tell the name came from Nintendo's Japanese HQs. The President of N-Space, Erick S. Dyke, gave us a little story Thursday night about how Japanese Nintendo representatives used the word "handjobs" to describe artists' talent one time at dinner. He replied by saying, "Oh, believe me, our artists are very good at handjobs," while trying to keep a straight face.

It's no surprise Nintendo didn't account for the perverted sentences that can be made with the system's name. NOA should've said something, hahahaha.

Anyway, I'll leave it with a quote from Penny Arcade's Tycho:

[quote]
I'm aware that some people like it, or in any event they don't hate it. I am not those people, but I think that I can live in peace with them as long as they do not try and honestly suggest that the ******* name is emblematic of togetherness. What makes me mad isn't that Nintendo has chosen a name based on bizarre, interstellar philosophy. It's that they chose a name that was and is so readily used to obscure and discredit the imaginative power of the system.

Posted by Speedfreak

I was kind of diappointed by their comic. I mean, after every single website complained about it I would've thought they'd come up with a comic a bit more original.

I take everything they say with a pinch of salt nowadays. I mean, they like World of Warcraft.

So, uh, I actually like the name now. Don't know about the rest of you, but it's all ready grown on me. It's cute ^___^

Posted by nich

I'm definately used to it, but I still don't like it nor does it feel right to say the name aloud.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Ouch!! Nintendo, you reading this??!! No one likes the name very much if at all!!! :D:D:D

Who wants to be the first one to say it's a 'cool' name!!! :D

Quoted post: Ouch!! Nintendo, you reading this??!! No one likes the name very much if at all!!!

Who wants to be the first one to say it's a 'cool' name!!!

I all ready said I liked it :(

Posted by Moogs

It's a better name than Jesse Smith.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Jesse Smith: Ouch!! Nintendo, you reading this??!! No one likes the name very much if at all!!! :D:D:D

Who wants to be the first one to say it's a 'cool' name!!! :D

I like the name.

Its much more creative then some other names I hear, Like playstation 2, Or Jesse Smith. ;)

Posted by Moogs

You stole that from me, *******.

Posted by NightmareBassX

Quoting Moogs: You stole that from me, *******.

I do what I can. :) Oops! We must have made the post at the same time.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Well, think of all of the other products and things that became wildly popular despite stupid names. Fooly-Cooly is the one that comes to my mind most readily. That's downright the stupidest name for just about anything I've ever heard, yet because it was a quality, entertaining anime, it succeeded.

Posted by Moogs

Yeah, I mean Paul's Video Arcade seems like it does good business.

Quoted post: Well, think of all of the other products and things that became wildly popular despite stupid names. Fooly-Cooly is the one that comes to my mind most readily. That's downright the stupidest name for just about anything I've ever heard, yet because it was a quality, entertaining anime, it succeeded

In that sense, it's a lot like insanity. If you're poor you're crazy, if you're rich you're eccentric. If Nintendo can produce great product, then Wii might become another iPod or Google.

Posted by Moogs

True. The IPod isnt even a pod, but regardless of the name people are addicted to it.

You're welcome - Speedy

Posted by Nightscare

that name is actually pretty dam gay

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Nightscare]that name is actually pretty dam gay

"Interests:
video games, boredom, crying"

Uh huh.

Quoting Nightscare: that name is actually pretty dam gay

O RLY?

NO WII!

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Wings: O RLY?

NO WII!

Dangit, Wings. I was going to edit an owl pic to say that. :(

Posted by Jesse Smith

[quote]

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Speedfreak]I take everything they say with a pinch of salt nowadays. I mean, they like World of Warcraft.

Do you hate EVERY popular game out there?

Posted by Linko_16

[quote=Big Boss's Sig]

... This doesn't make any sense to me. Even as someone who doesn't mind the name so much, I have to admit there have been some pretty witty comics bashing it; I wasn't too proud to save that one back there with the guy crying. This is just dumb. The logo was designed with the intention of resembling two people, so naturally, the most hilarious observation that can be made is that they could be having sex? Indeed, quite gut-busting.

Posted by Bebop

I like it now. The inital shock has worn off. Now I like the simple, rounded name. Personally I can't wait to say "Hey guys, want to play with some Wii?" and they'll be like "Yeh man I havent wiied in ages" and "I like Wii".

I remembered the other day the similar reaction Dolphin got when it became Gamecube. People were frekaing out, now people forget it ever happened. Same happened to Xbox and 360.

People will aslways react badly when a project name, being used for years, is finally dropped because they've come used to it. Think Wind Waker.

Point: Arguably, GameCube failed in part because of the name.

Posted by Pit

Wii ****ing sucks.

Posted by Speedfreak

[IMG]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/4235/playstation4mk.jpg[/IMG]

Face it guys, console names are dorky. There has never ever been a single games console with a name that didn't sound geeky until now. Instead of geeky they've gone with "poncy art student fodder".

Besides, I don't see anyone complaining when they sit on the bus playing with their "PissPees".

Posted by Pit

Quoting Speedfreak: [IMG]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/4235/playstation4mk.jpg[/IMG]

Face it guys, console names are dorky. There has never ever been a single games console with a name that didn't sound geeky until now. Instead of geeky they've gone with "poncy art student fodder".

Besides, I don't see anyone complaining when they sit on the bus playing with their "PissPees".

Wii sucks man

Posted by Speedfreak

Dude calm down. Okay.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Speedfreak: Dude calm down. Okay.

Yeah you're right I should calm down, thanks speedy for calming me down.

The Jaguar is proof that a name alone has no effect on the quality of the console.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Vampiro]Genesis and Jaguar were pretty cool.

Cool if you're a NERD.

Posted by ExoXile

Atleast Nintendo comes up with diffrent names.
Unlike them others. -_-

Posted by Mystic Hero

Quoting ExoXile: Atleast Nintendo comes up with diffrent names.
Unlike them others. -_-

I actually have to agree with that. I mean every new console Nintendo has coem out with has has a different name entirely with the exception fo the NES and SNES. The other consoles aren't doing anything creative with trying new names even if it may come out a little stupid. New names are always worth a shot and Nintendo seems to eb the only one trying that out. I mean look at Playstation. Wow new system, all they do is slap a different number onto their next gen. X-Box is kind of the same so far. All they did was slap a 360 onto the end and Bam, there is their next gen name. But Nintendo goes out of their way to try soemthing comptetely different with their name. Sure at first it sounds really gay, but after a while it kindof warms up on you you know? Hell I'm even getting used to the new Wii.

It's because no-one's quite associated with a brand as much as Nintendo. With PlayStation - that's the brand. Sony are better known for other stuff. The same with Microsoft. They need to keep the name people are familiar with so that they keep the reputation. Whereas as soon as someone sees that something is 'a Nintendo', they know it's a game system (and a good one, at that).

Posted by powerpuff

lets all just stick to calling it the revolution. everybody else can call it the wii but when i walk into gamestop im not preordering a wii, but a nintendo revolution. band with me my brothers and ignore nintendo and just call it the rev. we can beat the name all we have to do is believe.

Posted by Fate

NINTII, YOU GUYS.

Posted by Ant

Eh, today is the first day so far where I thought about the name and it didn't agravate me.

Posted by Fate

It makes for a good conversation chunk amongst friends, too.

Posted by CS Ryan

And a big debate. Imagine Christmas time. Parents constantly asking how you say or pronounce the stupid name.

Posted by brownoystercult

Name isn't all that great, though it will grow on people.

All the Wii jokes are unfunny.

Why do you have to be creative when making a **** name for a console?

Speedfreak has to start allowing other peoples thoughts and opinions.

Posted by Speedfreak

Because otherwise you run the risk of sounding ike your competition, it's pretty simple really.

Posted by The Judge

*bursts into thread extremely late*

I think it's a retarded name. Playstation and Gamecube are pretty blatantly representative of what they are: Game consoles (another problem I have with the Xbox...It's a box of X's). A game console should be about the games, not the name. Why would people care about all the "intense" symbolism in the name, when the name itself sounds retarded? "Piss" is roughly what "we" translates to on its own in many parts of America. We we. lol how immature. It's a ridiculous name and a pointless amount of effort expended thinking of such.

*leaves*

Posted by Klarth

Judge is copying Fate's profile, so his opinion must be null. Quick, delete his post!

Far as I'm concerned anyone who is immature enough to take the **** out of a name simply because it has scatological implications is an immature moron.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Klarth]Judge is copying Fate's profile, so his opinion must be null. Quick, delete his post!

No one finds it funny. It's annoying and actually hinders how well we can use the board.
If I really thought that I'd be perma-deleting the posts, but I'm not. Most mods seem reluctant to do anything when a bunch of members decide to piss everyone else off, I'm not one of them.
You might think this highly unconventional, but at the end of the day I'm not doing any permanent damage and it's for the benefit of most members.

However, if you do something stupid like imitate me or anyone else I'll start perma-deleting, I've given you fair warning.

This is interesting. I went into GAME today and tried to preorder one - and I found myself pronouncing it 'Wi-ii'. And subsequently had a big joke with the staff about it, and as I left, everyone was shouting 'WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!'.

It seems Nintendo have pulled a Jesse Smith on us.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting somewhat117: And a big debate. Imagine Christmas time.

"What do you want for Christmas son?"
"WIIIIIIII!"

Know I neither love nor hate the name. Afterall it's just a name. It's not like it's tatooed on your head. If I was so persauded by names I wouldnt have bought any console.

The only name I think never sucked is The Super Nintendo. It arrived during Nintendos dominance when games were more kiddy by todays standards and gaming was still new. In that socail context The Super Nintendo , I'm guessing, would have never received any negative feedback for its name.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Wings: This is interesting. I went into GAME today and tried to preorder one - and I found myself pronouncing it 'Wi-ii'. And subsequently had a big joke with the staff about it, and as I left, everyone was shouting 'WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!'.

It seems Nintendo have pulled a Jesse Smith on us.

Same sort of thing happened at a party I was at on Saturday night, except the only people who knew what was going on were myself and the other guy who started it off. Fun times.

[quote=Bebop]The only name I think never sucked is The Super Nintendo. It arrived during Nintendos dominance when games were more kiddy by todays standards and gaming was still new. In that socail context The Super Nintendo , I'm guessing, would have never received any negative feedback for its name.
Shrug. At least it could be abbreviated to the infinitely-more-stylish SNES.

Posted by Speedfreak

Acronyms are still insanely nerdy for names. Only crap like cars, computer components and military equipment have acronym names or names that look like acronyms, and all of those are typically nerdy objects.

Revolution is about appealing to more than the core game (aka nerd) group.

Quoted post: Why do you have to be creative when making a **** name for a console?

So it grabs people's attention, makes them notice you and sets you apart from your competition. People don't get paid huge sums of cash to think up unoriginal, boring, stupid names for a reason.

Posted by Moogs

I actually now thinking about it, it isn't bad at all, not as good as Revolution, but not bad.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Linko_16: ... This doesn't make any sense to me.

Are you kidding me? He's playing with the other guy's Wii! I believe the logo is a work of genius, because it shows what can happen when you tell all your friends they can come to your room and play with your Wii.

Multiplayer gaming has nothing on this!

Posted by Random

Quoting Big Boss]"Childish" isn't the word I was thinking of... :-D

Gay? :cookie:

Posted by Dexter

The biggest reason the name is bothering me is because it will turn people even more away from even trying the Wii. I actually like the name. I think it's adorable. ^_^

Posted by Fate

And the coolness factor just shot up.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Big Boss][FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=yellowgreen]"Childish" isn't the word I was thinking of... :-D[/COLOR][/FONT]

Under endowed? "Wee" typically means small.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Big Boss]

Retarded?

Wii jokes stoped being funny two minutes after they announced the name.
---------------

Wii is hard to grasp for many people. Its different, we come from blantent system name.

Game Cube was a Cube fore games

PlayStation was a Station for playing

X-box is a box with an X on it.

Gamers are not used to imaginative names.

Why? Becuase names didnt matter. I dont get why it matters now.

Quoted post: Its different, we come from blantent system name.

Quoted post: Gamers are not used to imaginative names.

Man, that jaguar-shaped console was badass. Oh, and who can forget the Dreamcast and Saturn? Who knew you could have so little fun with a planet?

Posted by Fate

I don't think it's so much that it's called Wii so much as they threw out the Revolution name. ****, that sucks.

And seriously, not many things are funnier than hanging out with friends and talking about the gay of the name. Great job, Nintii, you got my attention.

Posted by TendoAddict

Quoting Vampiro: Man, that jaguar-shaped console was badass. Oh, and who can forget the Dreamcast and Saturn? Who knew you could have so little fun with a planet?

True.

But they were both made by Sega. Sega systems are the exception.

Plus the jaguar, Saturn, and DreamCast didnt last in the market place.

X_X

Quoted post: But they were both made by Sega. Sega systems are the exception.

Not really. There was the Sega CD, Master System, Game Gear, and Nomad. Each are pretty literal.

Quoted post: Plus the jaguar, Saturn, and DreamCast didnt last in the market place.

As said by countless people, it's the ****ty names that get the sales. Consoles will interesting or cool names hardly ever seem to be able to survive.

Quoted post:
I don't think it's so much that it's called Wii so much as they threw out the Revolution name. ****, that sucks.

It's a combination of both. People were use to the Revolution, which was a pretty good name, but then Nintendo switched it with something new, different, and "lame".

Posted by CS Ryan

Quoting Vampiro: People were use to the Revolution, which was a pretty good name, but then Nintendo switched it with something new, different, and "lame".

And stupid.

Posted by Linko_16

Point in case. Seriously, quit complaining. It's one thing to say you don't like it, and another entirely to act like it's entirely unbearable.

Quoting Vampiro: As said by countless people, it's the ****ty names that get the sales. Consoles will interesting or cool names hardly ever seem to be able to survive.

I actually liked the name Dreamcast a lot, even though I never owned one. It lived and died before I was allowed to play videogames.