VoIP

Posted by Burn

Anyone got any opinions on VoIP? Does it work, you know anyone who has it? Is it all a myth? Been hearing murmurs on street corners but don't know what to make of all the Vonage and SunRocket talk...?

Posted by higbvuyb

Yes is does work, or people wouldn't sell it. Duh. Have you heard of Skype?

Posted by Burn

I was being a bit silly with that post. What I meant is does anyone besides Companies have it. Anyone around here? I have heard of Skype but have not used it. The others I have heard of are Vonage and Sun Rocket. Was curious to know how it all actually works.

Posted by Osic

living in Australia where it doesnt exist yet means no i havent got or used it but i do use audio programs like Teamspeak that come out clearly and work well even with 15 people in the same channel. One can only hope it wouldnt be worse then teamspeak

Posted by higbvuyb

It does exist in Australia. Fail.

Posted by Burn

Well... I have been looking up on it. And it sounds sweet. This VoIP stuff seems to be pretty hot right now. SunRocket looks like some ridiculously cheap $17/month with free hardware and two free phones. I just wonder if it will interfer with Xbox live or anything? Need more research. Thanx for the help guys, or the trying to help I guess.

Posted by Osic

Quoting higbvuyb: It does exist in Australia. Fail.

It exists in Australia via American servers only. Which is why local calls cost as much as calls to America atm. Some of our big tele-companys and ISP are starting them up very soon thogh.

So take that fail and shove it where it belongs.

Proof: http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,12430448%5E15306%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html

(MARCH 03, 2005)
"AROUND 200 Victorian households are acting as the guinea pigs for Telstra's broadband-based home voice over IP (VoIP) service, which is due to be commercially available by mid-year."

Posted by sniper

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/ip-telephony.htm has a simple explaination of it.

EDIT: Disregard the post that used to be here, I was thinking of something else.

Posted by Burn

I am not quite clear if I understand you? Try again perhaps?

Do you have VoIP or something? I am on the fence with SunRocket, sounds like a good deal, but I am still waiting for a little more info. Would love some first hand experiences.

Posted by loony636

Quoting higbvuyb: It does exist in Australia. Fail.

Yes, and because of that I have it. Its good, the only problem is getting people you actually want to talk to, to get the program aswell. I would reccomend Skype, since its free. You need a microphone, duh!!!!, to use it.

Posted by Burn

Thats exactly why I didn't go the Skype route. I want to be able to talk to the 'rents and stuff. So SunRocket isn't free but at like $17 a month that definitely saves me some cabbage from cell phone and a crappy landline.

Thos 'rents, always want to talk about the dog....

Posted by loony636

Quoting Burn: Thats exactly why I didn't go the Skype route.

OMG, if you read the skype website you will find that there is something called skypeout. It means you can call real phones for something like 1.7 Euro cents a minute.

Fail.