Advent Children: English version

Posted by Lord of Spam

I thought that the voices in the Japanese version were VERY well done. They seemed to capture the characters pretty well. The English version however...

Hell, I'll just say it. Its terrible. Kadaj sounds gay, they other long haired guy sounds emo, and Loz just seems weird. None of the characters seem well done, and there are many points where they voices dont match the mouths.

Posted by Slade

What?! An English Version exists?? Don't tell me that isn't what's being released on DVD here... I watched it a long time ago(Japanese w/ subtitles), then assumed that it would be the same when released here, and haven't bothered to look for any news contradicting that.

If it's English voices then they'd have to be like 'David Hayter is to Snake' good.

:(

Posted by Dexter

I didn't care much for the film. I watched it in Japanese w/ subtitles and I don't even care to give it a second viewing with English voices. I'm not even curious.

Posted by ExoXile

English dubbs always end up in suckage, atleast, most of the time.

So I'm not even going to bother with it. :)

KewlNonTheLess.
I suppose.

Posted by Mystic Hero

Yeah the English dubs have just come out on DVD and I have heard a great deal of complaining myself about this. The voice acting was terrible so I hear and poorly dubbed, go figure. It's a good thing I already watched it subbed, I found it to be more enjoyable.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Slade: What?! An English Version exists?? Don't tell me that isn't what's being released on DVD here... I watched it a long time ago(Japanese w/ subtitles), then assumed that it would be the same when released here, and haven't bothered to look for any news contradicting that.

If it's English voices then they'd have to be like 'David Hayter is to Snake' good.

:(

The dvd just got released today, I think, and it has an english audio track. Its the same movie, just different voices.

Posted by Zeta

I saw the commercial and my sister was all like "Oh my *** we have to get that!" :rolleyes:

Posted by Lord of Spam

Your sister is wishing upon herself needless suffering and she doesnt even know it.:(

Posted by Zeta

She's never even played FFVII. She just wanted it because it had Final Fantasy in the title... the stupid little git.

Posted by Lord of Spam

That makes me sad on so many levels.

Let her watch it. If she enjoys it witout mentioning the terrible voices, you know what you have to do. [spoiler] KILL HER. [/spoiler]

Posted by ExoXile

That I'm not going to watch the Eng vesion must mean that I am, indeed, kewl.
Right? :D

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Eh, they aren't horrendous. I've heard a lot worse, so in comparison to other ****ty dubs they're pretty decent.

But yeah, I definitely won't be switching to the english track anytime soon. The Japanese VOs were excellent.

Posted by ExoXile

How's Renos "Yo!"?

Posted by The Judge

I liked the voices and anything I say is on the same level as Bill Murray: Right.

Seriously, the only one that sucked was Loz. Meanies.

Posted by Shin-Ra

The English voicework was corny to the point of frustration. If I hadn't let my cousin borrow the movie, I would go on ahead and watch it in Japanese to see if there's any improvement.

Posted by ExoXile

HOW'S RENOS 'YO!' !? :mad:

Posted by Shin-Ra

I didn't pay that much attention, but probably:

Quoting Shin-Ra: corny to the point of frustration

?

Posted by Dexter

Can someone please explain to me why this movie is worth this discussion? Just name off a few decent aspects of the film so I have a better understanding.

The action, the visuals, the soundeffects and soundtrack.

And the massive amounts of fanservice.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Nostalgia for diehard fans and entertainment for people with ADD, that's about it.

Edit:

Quoting Vampiro: soundtrack

This too. I love Aeris Theme and the new version of One-Winged Angel was pretty powerful.

Posted by The Judge

But the voice acting was hideous.

Quoted post: But the voice acting was hideous.

The Japanese voices? No it wasn't...

Posted by Slade

Quoting ExoXile: HOW'S RENOS 'YO!' !? :mad:

Oh.

I was just expecting to buy the DVD and watch the same subbed thing I did before just on a bigger screen, and that's all I wanted. :( I guess I'll rent it to see if it's unbearable... I wouldn't think twice about shutting it off if it just ruins the images I have of the characters.

Vamp, I think, you haven't seen the Japanese one? The voices are really, really good.

Posted by Xenos

AC's storyline was ... dare I say, bad? However, it was a nice dosage of nostalgia.

Quoted post: Vamp, I think, you haven't seen the Japanese one? The voices are really, really good.

Huh? I know, that's why I'm disagreeing with the Judge. I thought the jap VOs were really spot-on.

Quoted post: AC's storyline was ... dare I say, bad? However, it was a nice dosage of nostalgia.

Oh yeah, it was bad. But it was only there to get the viewer from on fight scene to the next. That was it's only purpose. And it did that well.

Posted by ExoXile

The story's all in the game. :)

Posted by The Judge

Quoting Vampiro: The Japanese voices? No it wasn't...

I was mocking Shin-Ra by disagreeing with my own initially stated opinions.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting The Judge: I was mocking Shin-Ra by disagreeing with my own initially stated opinions.

How was I contradicting myself?

Posted by Klarth

I played FF7 up until Aeris died. That was when I thought "right, **** this, I'm just going to watch the movie".

AC was genuinely entertaining - Best CGI I've ever seen. Shame the game was wank, though.

Also, does the DVD have Japanese dubs, too...?

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Klarth: Shame the game was wank, though.

Matter of oppinion.

Posted by Ant

Obviously.

Anyways, I thought for the most part the voice acting was alright, although some parts were a little corny. But I noticed they changed it around a bit, it seemed like I understood things better in Enligsh then I did with the Japanese sub version. Like how they explain why Cloud is so much more badass then the rest of them, which I don't recall them explaining in the Japanese version, or I just plain missed it.

But overall all the voices seemed appropriate. The only one that seemed off a bit was Loz. And Marline seemed just a tad off, a little too childish.

Posted by The Judge

Loz would have been fine if he used a different tone (and different lines, meanie), but the voice itself seemed fitting.

As for Marline, meh, no one cares about her anyways.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting ExoXile: HOW'S RENOS 'YO!' !? :mad:

He doesnt say "yo" once in the entire movie, to my recollection.:(

And the translations were a lot worse, in my opinion. For instance, in the Japanese version, when Tifa is trying to talk cloud into helping, she says something about him drifting. In the english version, what does she say? Something about "dillydally"ing. RETARDED. And Kadaj, Loz, and the other guy didnt sounds NEARLY as badass. But what really angered me was that Reno doesnt sound AT ALL like the cocky, goofy, coolguy that he did in the Japanese version.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Lord of Spam: Something about "dillydally"ing. RETARDED.

DILLY DALLY SHILLY SHALLY, DAMMIT! C'mon man, it reeked of cutesy coolness.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Lord of Spam: He doesnt say "yo" once in the entire movie, to my recollection.:(
Wtf? :(
He's saying that all the time, RAGE!! :mad:

[QUOTE]
For instance, in the Japanese version, when Tifa is trying to talk cloud into helping, she says something about him drifting. In the english version, what does she say? Something about "dillydally"ing.

Anyone who hasn't played the game wouldn't understand the drifting thing, anyway. :(
Thus, people who haven't, should.
And also, watch the Jap version. :o

--
Saw the the English version, or rather, speeded through.
No one can really say it's better, or even close.
K, fine, some things were ok.
But most of the time it just sounded... wrong.

I stick to the original! :D

Quoted post: Anyways, I thought for the most part the voice acting was alright, although some parts were a little corny. But I noticed they changed it around a bit, it seemed like I understood things better in Enligsh then I did with the Japanese sub version. Like how they explain why Cloud is so much more badass then the rest of them, which I don't recall them explaining in the Japanese version, or I just plain missed it.

Things might be explained better because they had to stretch **** out. The voices wouldn't match the lip-movements otherwise. A lot of dialogue seems pretty different.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Ant: Like how they explain why Cloud is so much more badass then the rest of them, which I don't recall them explaining in the Japanese version, or I just plain missed it.

This is not true, since in the Japanese version:
Tifa - 'Two years ago...'
-'That strong feeling that he definitely had during the last battle...'
-'Though it was just two years ago, somewhere along the way, he lost that feeling.'

And uh, in the English one she goes on about how he's found it again.

While he still hasn't.

Which is more confusing than anything else. :rolleyes:

In any case, isn't Cloud more uf a wuss in the movie?
Until the very end, that is... :o

Posted by ShiroiHikari

it depends which dansub you got... i know one was COMPLETELY off! and the other was like.. on the dot!

the English on was actually pretty close to word for word... although they did add marlene talking the background a little more! ~.~

Posted by GameMiestro

There are a few too many "wtf is going on"s and "is Cloud completely insane"s to make the storyline incredibly epic. But those graphics look amazing...

Quoted post: There are a few too many "wtf is going on"s and "is Cloud completely insane"s to make the storyline incredibly epic.

I never had a problem understanding anything...

Posted by Random

Sephiroth will be back! Aslong as die hard Sephiroth fans such as myself exist he will be back!

Good movie I thought. I didn't even have to buy it mwuaha. I borrowed my friends before he even got to see it :-D

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Vampiro: I never had a problem understanding anything...

Same. Plus, I never finished the game.

Posted by Switch.Wolf

I thought the japanese version was alot better. The voices in english I think were not horrible...but not good either. Cid's was just funny. I really liked the film and thought it had some fan service but thats not what it was. How can not make a "GOOD" Final Fantasy movie with-out some "fan service."

Quoted post: How can not make a "GOOD" Final Fantasy movie with-out some "fan service."

Good storyline, interesting characters, fitting pace, et cetera. You know, like every other good movie out there. Fanservice is just a way to guarantee sales without having to put much effort into anything.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Klarth: Same. Plus, I never finished the game.

All lies, either you read 18654568 pages of FFVII's storyline, or you understand just about as much as someone who played the first disc and saw the movie.

If you read some fat book with the story, FINE.
If you didn't, ALL LIES. :mad:

Or, you just had big trouble understanding it.
Yeah.....:o

Posted by Raptor

I pretty much hate everything Final Fantasy after 1997.

All I caught of this movie was a preview for it in Suncoast, and I overheard something about Sephiroth and how he grew to hate everything.

I'm willing to bet the poor little baby cuts himself often. Sephiroth is one of the lamest villains ever.

Quoted post: Sephiroth is one of the lamest villains ever.

Even without the reason you provided, he's quite lame on simple character design alone.

Posted by NightmareBassX

My opinions on the voices :

Cloud : Alright, person who did his voice plays a character on the soup opera "General hospital" so its an instant fail

Tifa : Crap. I mean, Lots of crap.

Barret : Well, before english dub came out... Me and my friend discussed this VO, and it came out exactly how it should of, with the first 4 words being "WHADUP FOOL, ITS BARRET!"

Cid : Southern, I think.

Yuffie : Not many lines, hard to make a great judgement.

Cait sith : Awesome lol, He is scotish!

Aeris : Tifa and Aeris VO's were too alike, so for anyone who doesn't know anything about the game, it'd be hard to tell the difference. Especially in the bar when he talks to Tifa after waking up, and a scene of him and Aeris pops up for 5 seconds.

Vincent : Alright... I'll be honest, I liked thi Voice over alot. I thought it was better then all of them.

Kadaj : Sort of crappy.

Loz : Annoying when he attacks.

Yazoo : Sad :(

Sephiroth : Eh... Superman.

Reno : Not what I hoped for.

Rude
: Exactly what I thought.

Rufus
: Um... No comment.

I thought it was alright, And I thought it was bearable enough to watch. I only had a problem with a couple of parts, but not many.

Worst part : Dilly Dally Shilly Shally...

Cloud *Arrives to the Shin-ra momument* : I feel lighter. Maybe i've lost weight, from all that dilly dally.

I hated that part, In the japanese, he talks about his sword im pretty sure, but I haven't watched it in awhile.

I also didn't like how they redid the subs with the english VO dialogue, that kinda ****ed me off.

Posted by GoldstarKey

I thought the animation was amazing and the attention to detail was incredible. The English version is cool because you can spend less time reading subtitles and more time watching the action.

Posted by Jon of iPwn

I got it when it came out and I LOVE it...It's right up there with the original Star Wars as one of my favorite movies...

The voices were all very well done I think... The guys saying "Wheres mother" sounded weird, but they fit perfectly with their image as twisted evil freaks...

My cousin who doesn't play video games watched it with me the other day and he loved it as well. He hates Final Fantasy (well any game really), but he told me in all honestly the movie was awesome.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Jon of iPwn: I got it when it came out and I LOVE it...It's right up there with the original Star Wars as one of my favorite movies...

The voices were all very well done I think... The guys saying "Wheres mother" sounded weird, but they fit perfectly with their image as twisted evil freaks...

My cousin who doesn't play video games watched it with me the other day and he loved it as well. He hates Final Fantasy (well any game really), but he told me in all honestly the movie was awesome.

Have you seen the Japanese version? I may not be able to understand the language, but at least I get some sense of the emotion. The english voices just sound like retards who dont care getting paid to read a script.

Posted by Jon of iPwn

I have not, but I hate Japanese anime...Ghost in Shell 1 was a great movie, and my first anime movie...then I rented 2, and realized it was only Japanese, and therefore I couldn't understand a thing, even with subtitles..It was impossible to watch the screen and read them at the same time......

I loved it. That's all that matters..I walked away with a good feeling in my heart from seeing a touching and yet action rich movie. The emotion was told on their faces...... And Aeris had a very good voice I think, and those were some of the most touching parts for me.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Jon of iPwn: I have not, but I hate Japanese anime...Ghost in Shell 1 was a great movie, and my first anime movie...then I rented 2, and realized it was only Japanese, and therefore I couldn't understand a thing, even with subtitles..It was impossible to watch the screen and read them at the same time......

I loved it. That's all that matters..I walked away with a good feeling in my heart from seeing a touching and yet action rich movie. The emotion was told on their faces...... And Aeris had a very good voice I think, and those were some of the most touching parts for me.

I got through GitS2 fine. Maybe you're illiterate, but reading subs isnt a problem.:cookie:

And touching? What the hell was touching about it? Crappy good guy over comes even more crappy bad guy. End of story. If thats all it takes to make you think its touching, you're probably the type who thinks that overdone hallmark sentiment is a good thing.

Posted by Jon of iPwn

I said the parts with Aeris were most touching.... I really appreciated the movie...it had a very good story as opposed to stuff like say Appleseed or something that's all boring action...

I don't have a problem with reading, it was just boring.... I didn't have a clue what was going on.......I just don't like subtitles... I think the only movie I ever enjoyed with subtitles was House of the Flying Daggers.....

Posted by Klarth

[quote=Jon of iPwn]it had a very good story as opposed to stuff like say Appleseed
Right, you just crossed the last boundary. Get out.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Quoting Jon of iPwn: it didn't have a very good story as opposed to stuff like say Appleseed or something. Advent Children was all boring action...

Fixed.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Jon of iPwn: I said the parts with Aeris were most touching.... I really appreciated the movie...it had a very good story as opposed to stuff like say Appleseed or something that's all boring action...

I don't have a problem with reading, it was just boring.... I didn't have a clue what was going on.......I just don't like subtitles... I think the only movie I ever enjoyed with subtitles was House of the Flying Daggers.....

Heaven forbid something require you to read.

And I think we're talking about different movies, since all AC had going for it was pretty graphics and action.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Lord of Spam:
And I think we're talking about different movies, since all AC had going for it was supreme graphics and action.

Fix'd. :D

But yeah, the story was pretty much from the game.
If you haven't played the game you won't know what's happening.

Posted by Crazy K

I liked the movie. Yes I did find the voice overs to be somewhat bad, but the action sequences were brilliant.

Posted by Cloudstud

I honestly thought most of the Voiceovers were pretty good except for the 3 bad guys. Actually not just the voices but they in general were pretty bad. Most of the characters were kinda how i thought they might sound. I didnt like Sephiroth coming out at the end thought they could have had him ressurected a little better. But overall if you have a open mind the movie wasnt too bad.

Quoted post: I didnt like Sephiroth coming out at the end thought they could have had him ressurected a little better.

I actually thought that was really cool.

Posted by ExoXile

- "Are you-"
- "Yes Cloud, I am your father."
- *Holy Shi-0_0*

Posted by Gamer

The Japanese voices were so much better than the English voices just because they were more true to there parts.