Alternatives to Photoshop

Posted by Switch.Wolf

Now I know everybody knows every little thing about Photoshop but what about open source or alternate graphics programs? Such as Paint Shop Pro, Coral Painter, GIMP, and my personal Favorite Open Canvas. Anybody use any of these programs?

Also I wanted to see if anybody has a Wacom Tablet? I was looking into getting one and wanted to know if its worth the cost? and if its not then what is?

Posted by Dreadnought

I use a Wacom tablet, when I can find it. Its actually quite useful. Buy it.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

GIMP is my favourite freeware program for photo editing. You may also want to try Macromedia Fireworks - it's reasonably useful, and you didn't list it.

We use Wacom tablets in my school - they're useful, but at their RRP, I wouldn't recommend buying one for anything less than professional use.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I find Photoshop to be superior, although I haven't heard of this Wacom Tablet you speak of.

Posted by Klarth

GIMP is perfect* now that you can use Photoshop plugins with it.

*Next to Photoshop CS2.

Posted by Switch.Wolf

You can use PS plug in's on GIMP?? I am behind I guess. Last time I used GIMP I thought it was alright. But that was a while ago. I will have to d/l that again and try it out!

Posted by ShiroiHikari

Yes you can switch! You could for awhile now... its not the NEWEST release...

and Since when was Macromedia Fireworks a freeware program? Oh wait.. its not! its $300... Anyway i prefer photoshop! Its easiest, with the most possiblities i think. I made my sig in photoshop! :D

Posted by Switch.Wolf

It wasn't about free software. Just alternatives to PS. Especially when PS:CS2 costs $600. So Fireworks doesn't sound to steep in comparison. ;P

Posted by ShiroiHikari

I looked at when you said Opensource or alternatives... and then you listed all opensource ones... so i imagined you meant all freeware! ~.~

Posted by Switch.Wolf

Paint Shop Pro, Coral Painter, and Open Canvas are all proprietary software. only GIMP is open source.

Posted by ShiroiHikari

all of them have their own free versions though. A free version with less features.

Posted by Switch.Wolf

By free version you must mean Trial's. Because thats all they have.

Posted by Azure Wolf

i use Photoimpact.
It's much like Photoshop, but much simpler and a bit limited. fill, dodge and burn tools kinda suck too....