Final Fantasy VI

Posted by Xenos

When I was a kid, I could never understand or appreciate this game. Years passed and I downloaded the ROM and, for some reason, it just seemed so amazing to me. Surely, the story is not jam-packed with "SYMBOLISM" or "DEPTH", but it has something that most new-gen Square games lack today, charm and fun factor. The music was also fantastic and very inspiring.

Posted by maian

I completely agree. While I never got to play it as a kid, I did download the ROM after thouroughly enjoying FFIV. (Which I never beat, and don't have anymore. =/) My friend and I played it all the way through. I loved the characters, locations, and music. It had some kind of aura that RPGs lack today.

..The Game Force near me has both FFIV and VI, but they're each $75. Wtf =/

Posted by Zeta

It's the best FF game, without a doubt, and has one of the best villains in video game history.
*Bows before the glory of Kefka Palazzo*

I can't wait for this to be ported to GBA.

Posted by Klarth

Never knew Kefka had a last name.

I preferred FFV, but the character design in this was pretty good. Only thing I dislike is the fact that in being the first non-traditional FF with sci-fi themes and all, it led to abominations like FFVII, VIII and X. :(

Posted by Slade

Quoting Klarth: ...it led to abominations like FFVIII, IX and X. :(

fix'd.

I've never played VI, but I loved IV... I think I'll go get the rom now. I have been inspired.

Posted by Klarth

You seem to be under the misconception that VII was a good game and IX was not.

Get out.

Posted by Slade

Why not focus on how we both agree that X is crap?

Posted by Klarth

Sure.

VII sucks, though.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Xenos, why is this here. :/

I've been meaning to play the older FFs all the way through (except for I) and although I did start playing VI and enjoyed what I got through, I wasn't able to finish the game (errors on my friend's disk). I'll have to start up a new file sometime, though.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting Angelwing: (except for I)

Why not the original? It was a terrific game.

After I finish all the Dragon Warriors for the NES and Crystal Chronicles for the Cube, I'm going to move on to some of the Final Fantasies for the Super Nintendo. Alas, I've not played any of them all the way through.

Posted by Zeta

This thread needs more Kefka & Ultros.

And **** it, Dex, you're making me want to play Crystal Chronicles. :(

Posted by Dexter

I honestly don't care much for Crystal Chronicles. It is only the second Final Fantasy game I've ever played, the original being the other, and I find it fairly disappointing. I like the original far more. I was actually going to create a thread about the game as soon as I finish it, which should be within the next week, hopefully. The game is built too much for multiplayer using the Game Boy Advance link ups and without that, you can't ever reach the full potential of the game, so it feels weak. I don't regret going through this game or anything, but I don't think I've ever been able to sit with it for more than two hours. I do a level here, another level there, but it doesn't engage me for hours or days like Oblivion or the original Final Fantasy did. It is one of my casual games that I just want to defeat and get off my list so I can finally move on to my next Game Cube game, Fire Emblem.

Posted by Slade

Quoting Klarth: Sure.

VII sucks, though.

K.

S3ph1r0th 0wnz u.

It really suprised me how much I liked playing Final Fantasy I. And I've been dying to go back and beat Dragon Warrior 3.

I went looking for a Final Fantasy VI rom, found Secret of Mana, and am pretty addicted to that at the moment.

Posted by maian

I need to replay FFIV. I got pretty far through it when I owned it on the SNES. (Shi I want it again) I downloaded a ROM, but slacked and ran from most the battles. Now, I find myself on the final area, which I can't leave from, and I get completely owned by every monster. My only option is to restart, and I just have. I like the game, anyway.

Posted by MottaTheHutt

Final Fantasy VI is certainly the best Final Fantasy out there. But I must say X was close behind. The turn-based battle system was nice in comparison to waiting for the little bars to fill up.

Quoting Dexter: Why not the original? It was a terrific game.

Because it's dull. Uninteresting storyline, lack of character development, and battles every two steps/ship surges makes for an incredibly tedius playthrough.

From what I've played of Crystal Chronicles was pretty terrible. I wouldn't bother with it, if I were you.

Posted by Dexter

I'm already towards the end of Crystal Chronicles. I wouldn't recommend it, either. I do, however, think you should go through the first Final Fantasy game. There is huge character development towards the middle of the game.

What's the middle of the game? I think I got up to helping the dwarves before my friend took back the game. I don't think I could have handled much more, anyhow. I have the PSX version now...but I'm not exactly in a rush to restart it.

Posted by ShiroiHikari

CC was okay... if you were playing with more than one person. I kind of liked the teamwork attitude.

Posted by Zeta

[quote=Dexter]There is huge character development towards the middle of the game.

I don't think the Class Changes count as character development...

Posted by Dexter

This is the NES. Does any NES RPG have character development better than Final Fantasy?

I think going through the original is a means to discover how it all started out and that, for me, is a thoroughly enjoyable experience. The little monsters, the music, the bosses, the locations etc. If there was a series of games that I really enjoyed, I couldn't help but want to go through the original, the initiation, even if it isn't the greatest out of the series. It is the first, the responsible one that started it all and look how far it is has gone? I look forward to going through the rest, but I tried to make it my goal to finish the first Final Fantasy game before moving on, even if I know the later games will be better games overall. I suppose that's my style.

From what I can see, I'm surprised the series actually continued on.

There had better be some **** good character development happening in the middle.

Posted by Zeta

All it is is a class change, and it's completely optional! T_T

Dexter has deceived me yet again.

Posted by Zeta

It's still a good game, though. It's 3rd on my list of favorite FF games.

Posted by Desperado

Gr8 game. Possibily one of the finest 2D RPG' 2 ever grace a console.

Posted by juliebriggs

ff6 was the first FF game i ever played. still own my original copy to this day. i play it almost everyday weither its on my pc or on the snes. possibly one of my all time top 5 games

Posted by Xenos

Hm, has anyone played anthology? Is it worth the get?

Posted by Zeta

Differences between the two versions (Stolen from GFAQs.)

SPELLING/MENU DISPLAY:
- Fenix Down has become Phoenix Down.
- Mithril has become Mythril.
- The menu font has been slightly altered; you can see it mostly in the lowercase 'a's.
- Character names are now shown in the Esper menu under their portraits.
- The titles of Sabin's Blitzes are now shown in the Blitz menu, which originally showed just the button sequence and a slight description.
- The item list in the main menu no longer lists the item type (like "SWORD" or "SKEAN").
- Daryl's name is now spelled consistently throughout the sequence about her (rather than Darill/Daril/Daryl). Katarin and Duane, I'm not sure about.
- When you press Select in the Magic menu, the MP cost of spells no longer appears next to their titles.
- Some text in conversations mysteriously carries over to an extra window (like, two words or so), even though it all fit in one window the original game.

BATTLE:
- The Mute spell has changed back to its Japanese counterpart, now showing a Japanese character instead of the word "MUTE" embossed on a metal surface when it is cast.
- Relm doesn't glitch too much.
- There is a bit of slowdown in some battles with particular effects; try using Sketch or casting Meteor to get the full effect.
- The battle transistion screen no longer does the "zoom-ZOOM" or scramble effect; the screen tears away in two directions. Further, the battle screen no longer splits with two black bars when entering it, and closes slowly when complete instead of fading to black.
- The Merit Award is useless for Umaro.
- The Shadow/Rippler glitch has been fixed.

MISCELLANEOUS:
- The end credits run slightly longer to show the remake staff.

And load times, most likely.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

FFVI was definitely a classic, but my favorite was probably IV or V. One thing that's always amazed me about VI is how much hidden crap is buried in the game. Even after beating the game 4+ times, I still notice new subtle details, items, etc.

Posted by NeXidala

i think VI was a really cool game.....bak in the day wen there werent all that great graphics and stuff

Posted by Zeta

It's still a really cool game today. Much better than most, if not all 3D RPGs.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

It's probably my favourite of the bunch... which isn't saying a lot since most are pretty terrible or forgettable.

Posted by Arczu

I could NEVER forget this game. I remember when I managed to finish this that one day. Soooo hard because of how unprepared I was for the final fight and everything. It's really a good FF.

Kinda cool how only 2 people could use magic, then everybody could start using it. I liked that.