Mental pain or physical pain? Which would you perfer?

Posted by Xenos

I'm just curious which people would rather have: be mentally disturbed or in constant physical pain? I guess for me it really depends on the extremity level... Probably mental pain.

Posted by Stalolin

Physical, it keeps me conscious.

Sure, I'd hate it, but at least I'd still be able to think clearly because I wouldn't have a mess of terrible experiences in my head that screw me over.

Posted by NES Queen

physical. because regardless of how horrible it is, it will eventually cease. the mental pain can last with you for eternity and strike you again without any warning.

even if the physical pain is so severe that you die, once you're dead the pain is gone. mental pain can carry on with you into your afterlife (assuming you believe in one) and will possibly never go away. ever.

Posted by Crazy K

Personally I think I would rather have Physical pain instead of mental. I really don't want to feel depressed or whatever.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I'm pretty much in constant physical pain now, and although it's not fun, I'd choose it over eternal mental pain.

Posted by Ant

Physical pain tends to lead to mental anguish when constantly enforced.

In any case, physical I suppose.

Posted by GameMiestro

Mental, because that sort of pain can easily be fixed, while physical pain you just have to deal with.

Posted by Linko_16

I can deal with physical pain, if it's not too horribly disfiguring or something else that would just make it hard to live the rest of my life.

Posted by Klarth

Mental pain seeing as I'm pretty neutral to negative emotions these days anyway.

Posted by Speedfreak

...so are we talking like a headache vs a bruise or what?

Posted by Dexter

We're talking about everlasting retardation vs. constantly feeling as though you are burning in hell!

Give me my retardation, pwz.

Posted by Raptor

So who came up with the idea that mental pain is eternal? Why should it be? The brain and the CNS perishes along with the rest of the body, but theoretically it's the soul that escapes into the next life. I don't have any reason to believe it carries the burden of this life into the next.

Physical pain and mental pain are strongly interconnected, probably even in ways we aren't capable of perceiving. But considering just how torturous the most extreme forms of physical pain can be, I would definitely prefer mental pain. At least then, I know it would be all in my head.

Posted by NES Queen

i believe the soul holds all of our emotions, both good and bad. so even after i die i'll still be capable of remembering and feeling all my emotions. hence, the mental pain would be eternal. my broken leg would be left behind on earth far, far away from me for the rats and worms to eat.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

Mental because all my pain is mine...right? and I want to keep it that way...and physical pain usually means some is wrong with your health...and mental pain can happen to anyone at anytime...

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Raptor]Physical pain and mental pain are strongly interconnected, probably even in ways we aren't capable of perceiving. But considering just how torturous the most extreme forms of physical pain can be, I would definitely prefer mental pain. At least then, I know it would be all in my head.

I'd rethink that, people put themselves through extreme physical torture to prevent extreme mental pain.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

Well I put myself through everykind of pain to not think of certain thing...And sometimes pain is the only way...to stop an even worse pain...don't ask...really,seriously don't...

Posted by The Judge

I am in minor physical pain already, so I think mental pain would be more preferrable.

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Phlynthe: Well I put myself through everykind of pain to not think of certain thing...And sometimes pain is the only way...to stop an even worse pain...don't ask...really,seriously don't...

I know how you feel man...sometimes the only way to block out the unbearable pain of a certain painful moment in my life is to cover it up with more pain...which is true pain...
but it's not so unbearable as the pain I'm trying to block out...
but then life still just becomes a huge pain because I'm always feeling so much pain...
it's just really painful to talk about...

Posted by Pit

Quoting Raptor: I would definitely prefer mental pain. At least then, I know it would be all in my head.

Why didn't you just say that and save us the trouble of reading all that gay?

Physical for me.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Phlynthe: ...and mental pain can happen to anyone at anytime...

Physical pain can't?

Posted by Jesse Smith

Mental pain. I already am a mental pain, and I would not want to get rid of the 'pain'!! :D:D