Banned members notice

Posted by GameMiestro

I'd like to have some notice when people get banned and why it happend. A banned members thread is a standard feature on many boards, and if it's mod regulated, it can be a very useful resourse. I thought of this when I noticed the "heartbreaker" member was banned, and I had no idea until 5 days after he last posted... meaning there's nothing I can do. The mass banning days of mid 05' are over with, so I don't think it would be very hard to maintain a thread, either.

Posted by G-Sides

Well, really, there aren't really that many reasons one could be banned. If you're actually curious as to why it happened, maybe you should look at the posts that member made and see for yourself. Beyond that, I don't think many members really care about most bans. If a questionable ban arises though, somebody usually brings it up, but imo, that doesn't happen too often.

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=G-Sides] If you're actually curious as to why it happened, maybe you should look at the posts that member made and see for yourself.

Offensive posts get deleted, making them impossible to see. That still doesn't give the reason that they were banned (60% of banned members viewable posts that I've seen have only broke minor or lightly enforcable rules), making me wonder if they flooded peoples PM boxes or something. Yes, many members dont care, but members that are banned do care, and sometimes take it upon themselves to remind us of this. If we don't know why it happened, it's hard to know what to think.

Posted by Kent Traffic Cop

The forums @ Chavscum have a board specifically for TOS violations.

A thread is made for each member banned (name in title) and a reason given why.

I like the idea a lot - it clears things up better ;)

Posted by G-Sides

Quoting GameMiestro: Offensive posts get deleted, making them impossible to see.

Excuse me if I'm wrong (I haven't been a mod here in a long long time), but there's a place a mod can put the reason for deleting a post when he deletes it. Maybe you should just request more of those?

Posted by Klarth

Physical removal can be a lot tidier.

Posted by GameMiestro

Yet sometimes annoying. I once got derepped for a post, the post was removed, the rep stayed, and I never knew why... yup.

Posted by Iris

Maybe a little hall of shame for banned members would be nice. We could put a link on the top of the page that lists all of the members who were banned today and why.

Posted by mis0

I bet they have a hack that does that already, but, if not, a thread would be nice. Might get people to realise that there are rules, and we enforce them.

Posted by Xenos

I wouldn't mind a Hall of Shame, but FAT FAT FAT chance Jesse will pick up his fatass hands and decide to install it.

Posted by sabre

There's one in the supermod CP. It's not very interesting.

Posted by Majician

I don't think it's a good idea. It might scare new members away from joining. However, if you used a thread that could only be viewed after you've joined, or after a certain number of posts, it might work.

Posted by shep

I also think when a member get's banned the mod should atleast have some ball's and say why they got banned.

Posted by The Judge

Under most circumstances, Shep, the reason is blatantly apparent, so if the person wasn't smart enough to understand why they were banned, they don't belong on a forum anyways.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: I also think when a member get's banned the mod should atleast have some ball's and say why they got banned.

How does that take balls?

Posted by Klarth

The fact that spammers are banned might scare good people away from joining? What?

Also, is any newbie really going to join and look for a "banned members" thread before flooding the Kingdom Hearts board?

Posted by sniper

A single sticky would be nice. All you would need is the poster's name, length of ban, and reason, and it would clear things up, as well as letting us know when a particular idiot will no longer be present.

Posted by The Judge

Or when he will be present again.

Posted by shep

Quoting The Judge: Under most circumstances, Shep, the reason is blatantly apparent, so if the person wasn't smart enough to understand why they were banned, they don't belong on a forum anyways.

well if the person was banned for a stupid reason because the other mods didn't like him/her or if all the other members didn't like him/her. They should still give a reason no matter how you look at if they were stupid or ignorent.

Posted by GameMiestro

In the last month, probably more members have been banned than those in the 6 months before that. I had thought this idea was dead, but if it's still being discussed, you should think about it like 17'th century hangings. Banning them in front of everybody is a good way to encourage others not to do the same thing. This would also be a useful resourse when banning others, as you could refer to previous cases ("hey, we banned Spammer616 for advertising, so it's only fair if we do it again for AdMan32"). Finally, if there's a general trend in why members are getting into trouble, you could specifically target that behavior, saving time and energy.

See, look at all those good points!

Posted by shep

Lmao, but do you think people listen, they make a random thread in the psp board that has nothing to do with it and then say jesse sends them a messege saying this person did that and he got banned,or someone dep reps them and then they go in another random thread asking why they got de repped or banned. then 20 people argue the point.

Posted by Iris

Whether or not they learn from the other's mistakes isn't really the issue. It's more of a resource of who was banned, why, and when.