Memoirs of a Geisha

Posted by Lord of Spam

tldr version: Hated it.

This was one of the worst movie I have see in recent memory. It felt souless and uninspired on so many levels. I think what really did it in for me was the acting. It felt more like I was watching a dress rehearsal. There seemed to be no involvement from any of the actors. They were dressed up, and they were reading the lines... but they were not acting. They conveyed no emotion or personal qualities from the characters. It was as if I was watching a movie staffed with very convincing robots.

This was one of the few movies I feel embarassed to admit having seen.

Posted by Crazy K

I myself never really heard anything great about it. I have yet to even see it, and I probably will one of these days maybe in the near future.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Don't. Its pretty much two hours of Chinese actors doing a terrible job of trying to be Japanese.

Posted by Dexter

I want to see it mostly for the representation of the culture.

Posted by WILLETH FOR MONTHS

Read the book. Whether it's authentically Japanese or not - I don't know enough about Japanese culture back then to judge - it is very emotionally fulfilling.

Posted by Saruman

Absolutly Brilliant. I would nominate for best picture :)

Posted by temari

memoirs of a geisha was the (in my opion) best movie that ziyi zhang ever performed in (next to house of flying daggers)she was wounderful,and so was the movie. it was enchanting!

Posted by Dexter

I like bumps.

I saw it and read the book. I definitely didn't hate either one, but I'm certainly not enthusiastic about them either. I honestly didn't know what a geisha was until I was exposed to this story, so I did enjoy the learning aspects. I also tend to enjoy stories about a female's difficult journey through life, like Thirteen or White Oleander.

Females and difficulty go hand in hand.

I haven't seen the film yet, but I don't really think I want to. My mum brought a copy back from Thailand, though, so I may pop it in at some point.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Do not.

DON'T TELL ME WHAT I CAN'T DO!

Posted by Jazz

Quoting Wings: Females and difficulty go hand in hand.

I haven't seen the film yet, but I don't really think I want to. My mum brought a copy back from Thailand, though, so I may pop it in at some point.

The movie was great, you should at least watch it before judging it. And everybody has their own opinion. So you can say it was bad or good.

Who are you? I like you.

Posted by Bebop

Quoting Wings: Who are you? I like you.

:(

Posted by Delilah

It was pretty good. At least, I think so. The book was way better, though.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Wings: Who are you? I like you.

Warning: He kills

I like him more!

Posted by Shin-Ra

I liked the movie a lot. Not necessarily for the plot, but more for the scenery. I'm not one of those freaks who obsesses over Japan, but there were some beautiful moments in that movie. The little show thing she does with the blue lighting was pretty nice too (it's obviously been a while since I've seen this). Anyway, the plot was good, but I don't believe I'll be watching this film again unless someone else I'm with hasn't seen it yet. It strikes me as more of a "one time experience".

Posted by Jazz

Quoting Shin-Ra: I liked the movie a lot. Not necessarily for the plot, but more for the scenery. I'm not one of those freaks who obsesses over Japan, but there were some beautiful moments in that movie. The little show thing she does with the blue lighting was pretty nice too (it's obviously been a while since I've seen this). Anyway, the plot was good, but I don't believe I'll be watching this film again unless someone else I'm with hasn't seen it yet. It strikes me as more of a "one time experience".

i feel the same way:p:

Posted by Xero

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Memoirs of a Geisha wasen't my type of movie. I went to see it for my friend's sake, but I think that Ziyi Zhang (Sorry if it's not the way to spell it :() is better in fighting movies.[/COLOR]

Posted by temari

you spelled it right , and i agree.

Posted by Jazz

She is better in fighting movies

Posted by Tiptoegecko

I loved this movie, and the only thing I would chane is the beginning. If they would of spent more time on the beginning where Chiyo (or Sayuri) was living in the fish village, it would of made 10x more sense. I would of sat through that movie 15-20 min longer. It was really good, but I would recomend reading the book first, so when you watch the movie, you totally understand it more.