Tool - 10,000 Days

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Download it. Now.

Err, buy. Whatever. I loved it. If you're a fan of A Perfect Circle, and not Tool so much, or the other way around, prepare to be blown away. You'll feel a perfect blend of both within 10,000 Days.

Even after all the years since Lateralus, Tool still has it, and they're better than they ever have been

Posted by Raptor

Oh lord up above, please make this band go away.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I heard a couple of leaked songs at a local cd store, and didn't think too much of it. Which is entirely odd for me, but it just felt as though it's all stuff I've heard before. Vocals of "H", rhythm guitar of "Schism", the very predictable drumming style, and solo entirely too similar to "Parabola". I'll wait and buy the album, listen to it as a whole -- like it was intended -- and then give better insight.

Posted by Velvet Nightmare

Indeed, it isn't what Lateralus was, but it does have a really does have it's own intresting blend. It's worth checking out, if nothing more.

Posted by sabre

Don't know much about it, not actually listened to any tool personally, but if you play Intension backwards, there is an awesome nugget. Go to 5:55, and you should hear the following: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/colin.rule/Dave/Intension-backwards.mp3

Posted by Klarth

Something about cars, school and your parents? I can't hear it very well. :(

Posted by sabre

You know the crap about how some songs played backwards say "kill yourself" or "satan is the best?" Maynard says:

"Work hard... stay in school... listen to your mother... your father is right."

Posted by Klarth

Ah. That's radical :cool2:

Posted by MetalVox~55

I love, love, love, love, love TOOL. Forget about what Raptor says, as nobody really pays attention anyway, and buy this cd when it comes out.

Posted by nich

I just heard one of the new songs on the radio, I can't remember what it was called but I really enjoyed it.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting nich: I just heard one of the new songs on the radio, I can't remember what it was called but I really enjoyed it.

It would've been Vicarious. Which I've heard, and I quite enjoy. I don't really like Tool consistently, but they're a really interesting, unique band that I've always wanted to get into.

Posted by Dexter

I just went through 10,000 Days entirely for the first time. As soon as I saw the cover and looked at the song titles, I got a tribal feel from it. After I finished going through the first song, "Vicarious," the tribal feel left me and I was fascinated with the lyrics and the theme. The song itself didn't impress me as much as the message did, but that's not to say that the song was bad. Then, after I listened to "Vicarious" a few times and took it all in, I moved on to "Jambi," which almost seemed like a song that is directly connected to "Vicarious." The theme of violence and death was still there, only a different aspect of it. Overall, I really like this CD. It's personal and tragic. I'd say it's mostly about death than anything else, and although that topic is quite common, Tool seems to hit it at different angles and from interesting viewpoints, such as the Angel's viewpoint in "Right In Two." I like the style they take at exploiting human weakness. Like Ayreon's The Human Equation, it's engaging.

EDIT: A friend just pointed out to me that in the song "Right In Two," if you go 6:01 into the song, you'll hear "Timmah!!!" I thought it was amusing and decided to mention it here.

Posted by Inferno

My friend bought this CD a couple days ago and we just chilled out and listened through the whole thing. I still don't know how I feel about it. Other Tool albums have really grown on me but this album just wasn't as interesting to me and I was a little dissapointed. It will probably just take a little bit for the songs to soak in before I start to really like them. The album art, however, is fantastic.

Posted by Jon of iPwn

The album is very amazing. Please don't download it, downloading music is for broke bastards who hate themselves :D

It's very trippy and psychedelic, more so than the previous albums, which isn't a bad thing. If you can tolerate Pink Floyd, you'll love this album. Tool is one of my favorite bands and I was not at all dissapointed with this album. Every song is incredible, and all the songs together in a unit is a peice of art, as was intended for it to be.

One of the best albums of this year to be sure.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I was driving to a friends house recently, and a Tool song came on the radio. Absentmindedly, I hummed along with it. As I moved through the down town area, traffic ate up my attention. When I emerged from the other side, I thought to myself "Wow, this sounds almost exactly like that Tool song.

Then I realized it was. It would have been a perfectly enjoyable song, but the morons apparently didnt know when to end it. It just kept dragging on, and the more I heard, the more annoying it became.

tl;dr: tool sucks, dont care

Posted by Jon of iPwn

I've noticed an abundance of the word 'sucks' on this forum in my one hour being here... It's quite immature and annoying :(

Tool is a very talented band. If you cant tolerate 10+ minute songs they obviously aren't for you..

Tool isn't something you listen to, Tool is something you experience. Many of their songs run together with other songs, and it's well known that Tool doesn't follow the over used 'verse / chorus / verse / bridge / chorus / chorus' set up.........They take their time and deliver an amazing message...

Like the one song from an older album (cant think of it) is just this slow psychedelic tone with Maynard saying "Watch the weather change" and it's just an amazing experience to zone out to.

Posted by Klarth

Tool aren't the only band who write ten-minute songs.

Posted by Jon of iPwn

Did I ever say that?? Pink Floyd has long crap too that's why I said 'if you can tolerate PF you can tolerate Tool'...They are quite similar...Take interstellar Hyperdrive, that can be easily compared to a few Tool intstrumentals..

And heck I listen to classical music quite a bit as well, and those 'songs' (not sure what you call part of a symphony....)

But on my favorite classical cd (Tchaikovsky- Symphony No.4 / Romeon and Juliet Fantasy Overture), one part is 19:25 long (Andante sostenuto: Moderato con anima) :D

Posted by sabre

I've not listened to Tool, nor do I know what the hell song LoS is talking about, but just because it breaks the norm doesn't mean it's necessarily well written.

First off, I'm going to state that I'm a huge prog fan, me. My favorite song is 24 minutes long. I also love psychedelic music.

However, music must be well-written to be enjoyable. For example, Dream Theater's song "Home" is a very proggy song. Its structure is odd, it has a psychedelic intro and incorporates lots of indian sounding elements throughout, and it's almost 13 minutes in length. However, it is very, very, insufferably boring, and it absolutely -kills- the song. The intro is fantastic. Then you have a verse, which is full of killer riffs, really great stuff. Then - for g*d knows what reason - it breaks into a very boring strand of samples over a repetitive riff. Then, it breaks into a weird keyboard solo, the end of the main verse is repeated again, and for the outro it has this huge indian-style solo trade-off. All very technically proficient, yes, and it'd be fine to have chops if it contributed anything to the music at all. It would be an awesome song if the keyboard solo fitted the music more, the verse only played through the once, and it lasted about six minutes. But it's not. It's a boring song that's long for the sake of being long.

On the other hand, Genesis's "Supper's Ready," clocking in at 22:51 is a brilliant song. It's turbulent, yes, and it changes styles and moods a lot, but it's by no means meandering, and it's all music that adds to the song, not music for music for music's sake.

Other examples of huge, meandering songs are Porcupine Tree - Voyage 34, clocking in at a hefty 70:29, and Liquid Tension Experiment's Chewbacca, a 13:33 long instrumental which leaves you thinking "whoa, when the hell did I put this on?," whereas Dream Theater - Octavarium (24:00), Rush's Xanadu (11:05) and Mother Nature, by Mostly Autumn (12:07) are all concise.

I'm not saying Tool are bad or anything, nor is this post meant to be offensive or anything - I like you, from what I've seen of you. Just that it's not as black and white as "all long songs are brilliant departures from the norm" or "all short songs are crap."

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Jon of iPwn:
Like the one song from an older album (cant think of it) is just this slow psychedelic tone with Maynard saying "Watch the weather change" and it's just an amazing experience to zone out to.

Disposition.

Yeah, I bought the album and I still don't think too much of it. The only song I really enjoyed is the Wings for Marie/10,000 Days track, which should have never have been broken up into two parts.

Oh well, Jesu and Katatonia are far better anyway. :p:

Posted by s0ul

Quoting Jon of iPwn:

Tool isn't something you listen to, Tool is something you experience.

THAT'S DEEP MAN

Actually, it's something I turn off when I hear. Blech.

Posted by Lord of Spam

Quoting Jon of iPwn: Tool isn't something you listen to

because it sucks:cookie:

Making your songs needlessly long and drawn out isnt cool. Anyone can write a perfectly normal song and then say "Hey, you know what would be cool? If we kept this thing going like 5 minutes longer than we need to!"

And dont try to pin this on some zOMG UR JUST 2 STOOPID ADN TOOL IS REALLY DEEP AND I TOTALY GET THEM ITS AN EXPERIANCE U HAEV 2 JUST ZONE TOO crap. I listen to techno, which is the epitome of music that is intended to zone out to. I dont like tool because they write crappy songs, and Maynard sounds like a moron half the time.

Posted by shad0w

I f@cking hate when bands do that sh*t. I also hate when people care to divulge such information as "the songs I listen to are (insert retarded astronomical number of minutes) long and I rule because of it." However, tool's opiate, aenima, and undertow cd's rock, lateralus sucked cock, and so will the rest of their sh*t. When Maynard began with the perfect circle bullsh*t everything went downhill. They may be deep or whatever the f*ck you want to call them, but now they are boring, slow, and sh*tty. This seems to be an ongoing trend for bands today though, creating a few cd's so great they acquire a cult following then sh*t the bed on the next few cd's. Long live mainstream music...

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Jon of iPwn: Did I ever say that?? Pink Floyd has long crap too that's why I said 'if you can tolerate PF you can tolerate Tool'...They are quite similar...Take interstellar Hyperdrive, that can be easily compared to a few Tool intstrumentals..

Except Pink Floyd's music is a hell of a lot more interesting and diverse than Tool's. As for bands who make many of their songs several minutes longer than they should be, Dream Theater instantly comes to mind.

[QUOTE=shad0w]I f@cking hate when bands do that sh*t. I also hate when people care to divulge such information as "the songs I listen to are (insert retarded astronomical number of minutes) long and I rule because of it." However, tool's opiate, aenima, and undertow cd's rock, lateralus sucked cock, and so will the rest of their sh*t. When Maynard began with the perfect circle bullsh*t everything went downhill. They may be deep or whatever the f*ck you want to call them, but now they are boring, slow, and sh*tty. This seems to be an ongoing trend for bands today though, creating a few cd's so great they acquire a cult following then sh*t the bed on the next few cd's. Long live mainstream music...

Thank you for demonstrating your impressive ability to swear. You should backtrack to the nearest village and find an inn to restore your cuss points.

Posted by iPwn2

Tool's songs should be 20 minutes long in my opinion....Get patience or turn your radio off.

Posted by Raptor

The way you obsess over song length is quite immature and annoying. :( I have plenty of patience, but I also have the ability to judge whether songs are needlessly long. The quality of a song is far more important to me than its length, and after a certain point, the overall quality of the song can be negatively affected by having made it mind-numbingly long. If making a song 36 minutes long isn't done right and with good reason, it shouldn't be done at all. Certainly not for any lame excuse like conforming to "prog" standards.

Posted by sabre

Quoting iPwn2: Tool's songs should be 20 minutes long in my opinion....Get patience or turn your radio off.

Songs should be as long as is appropriate to the song itself. I already said that, but you seem to have conveniently ignored it.

Posted by shad0w

Quoting Raptor: Thank you for demonstrating your impressive ability to swear. You should backtrack to the nearest village and find an inn to restore your cuss points.

I speak how I feel at the time I write the message. I don't always curse alot, not that I feel the need to explain myself to a **** stain such as you. If you don't like it...cry?

Also, who the hell are you? 5000 posts of innane bullsh*t, commenting on what people say like they care. You are a turd sir...a giant, slimy turd. Just knock it off.

Posted by Raptor

*inane

Posted by shad0w

Good job on increasing your inane (are you happy?) post count.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Sabredog: However, music must be well-written to be enjoyable. For example, Dream Theater's song "Home" is a very proggy song. Its structure is odd, it has a psychedelic intro and incorporates lots of indian sounding elements throughout, and it's almost 13 minutes in length. However, it is very, very, insufferably boring, and it absolutely -kills- the song. The intro is fantastic. Then you have a verse, which is full of killer riffs, really great stuff. Then - for g*d knows what reason - it breaks into a very boring strand of samples over a repetitive riff. Then, it breaks into a weird keyboard solo, the end of the main verse is repeated again, and for the outro it has this huge indian-style solo trade-off. All very technically proficient, yes, and it'd be fine to have chops if it contributed anything to the music at all. It would be an awesome song if the keyboard solo fitted the music more, the verse only played through the once, and it lasted about six minutes. But it's not. It's a boring song that's long for the sake of being long.

I liked it. :( I agree that the intro and outro were unnecessarily long, though. I personally think the majority of Jordan Rudess' keyboard solos (except for Octavarium, and not including his actual PIANO solos) are too random and rhythmically weird.

The one song I never liked off that album was Finally Free. It had a couple of good sections, but the overall mood was just plain odd, and it never really went anywhere. The Dance Of Eternity too - good, but completely irrelevant to the rest of the album.

Can you guys please be a bit more forceful with your opinions? They're not coming across strongly enough. :rolleyes:

Posted by sabre

The intro is one of the things I -do- like about the song. Home is basically a 5 or 6 minute song that somehow managed to become 13 minutes.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Okay I listened to this album all the way through and it just didn't click with me. It just seemed plain out boring from beggining to end, I enjoyed a few drum parts of it but over all it was just....blah. Then again i've never really been a big fan of Tool....

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Sabredog: The intro is one of the things I -do- like about the song. Home is basically a 5 or 6 minute song that somehow managed to become 13 minutes.

I would like that song if it was just the intro and it faded out exactly at the 2:32 mark, just before he started singing.

Posted by Shin_Akuma

Eh, I really enjoyed Home. It contains one of the catchiest Dream Theater choruses and has alot of great riffs. Only part I don't care for is the keyboard solo, and i think the guitar solo drags on a little too long, But other then that, it's a awesome song.

Posted by Raptor

Of course it's awesome. What else would it be?

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Raptor: Of course it's awesome. What else would it be?

A song that'd be better if it finished at 2:32, like you just said?

Posted by Acheron

Quoting iPwn2: Tool's songs should be 20 minutes long in my opinion....Get patience or turn your radio off.

When music even requires you to have "patience", that's when you know it's awful.

Posted by Demonblade

Personally, i love this album. I dont really care what anyone else has to say about it, ill always be a huge fan of Maynard James keenan. He could probably sing the barny song and id listen to it over and over again.

Anyways, im just curious to know if anybody else knows why the album was named 10,000 days. I know why, just want to know if anyone else does...its kind of interesting. And dont be one of those people that goes and googles it, then comes back and says "well duh, this is why...blah blah...everyone knows that", cuz thats just gay. BTW, if this question has already been addressed, my apologies...it just to feel like sifting through all the B.S. arguing that comprises the entire second page of posts.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Demonblade: Personally, i love this album. I dont really care what anyone else has to say about it, ill always be a huge fan of Maynard James keenan. He could probably sing the barny song and id listen to it over and over again.

Anyways, im just curious to know if anybody else knows why the album was named 10,000 days. I know why, just want to know if anyone else does...its kind of interesting. And dont be one of those people that goes and googles it, then comes back and says "well duh, this is why...blah blah...everyone knows that", cuz thats just gay. BTW, if this question has already been addressed, my apologies...it just to feel like sifting through all the B.S. arguing that comprises the entire second page of posts.

His mother was, I think, partially paralyzed around 30 years ago, and 10,000 days was (approximately, I guess) the period of time from her paralysis to her death.

Posted by Demonblade

Yep. It was for 27 years i think, which is roughly 10000 days. His mothers middle name is marie, so thats where Wings for Marie came from. Also, a perfect circle has a song called Judith which is his mothers first name. APC also has a song named Brena which is the middle name of his ex fiance and the name of an island believed to have magical healing waters.

Just some somewhat interesting tidbits i know...if your a Maynard fan that is.

Posted by Grave Wisdom

The new album doesn't impress me much. While it's not horrible, it just seems like a rehash of previous albums rolled into one.Although i'm not, nor was I ever the world's biggest tool fan... I did like some of their music.

Posted by Ichigo54

Tool: The grestest band I'v ever seen live.

Posted by Dexter

Nah, I saw Tool live once. They were good, but definitely not the best. Sigur Ros put on a better live show!