A New Gameboy?

Posted by Proto Man

I just read that Nintendo may release a new Gameboy system at the end of '05. This system would be targeted towards younger gamers. Anyone else hear about this?

Here is the link: http://news.designtechnica.com/article6693.html

Anyhow I really don't think this is necessary, the DS just came out, and the GBA SP is just fine for younger gamers IMO.

Posted by Illyria110

i agree, i think that there's plenty of new gameboy systems, but i guess a new one can't hurt

Posted by Bubblez

I don't see the point in bringing out a new handheld for a younger audience. It's not like the the GBA SP is just for grown ups. If they want to dominate the market for kids then why not just release special kids games for the GBA and price them extra cheap?

Posted by Bebop

I dont think a new GB will be haboured at just a young audicne considering Ninty is alwyas trying to boraden their appeal. Although I agree it is far too soon. I guess it will someway to beat the PSP into the ground.

Posted by DeathScape

Quoting Bebop: I dont think a new GB will be haboured at just a young audicne considering Ninty is alwyas trying to boraden their appeal. Although I agree it is far too soon. I guess it will someway to beat the PSP into the ground.

I think PSP will be better, and it is really soon for a new one to come out. But like one guy said, it won't hurt, will it? Well, actually... Yes, because they'll stop making GameBoy Advance games.

Posted by Bebop

PSP better than a new Game Boy? I disagree.

I find it a bid odd and a tad hypocritacal when Nintendo brand the 'tradtional' mode of play as dying out so intordue DS and Revolution to steer away from this only to create a new console that is far from innovation (Ninty's favorite word). Of course I could be wrong.

Posted by Darkbackward

Innovation is far from the vocabulary of Nintendo. They make one thing, and thats games. The most innovation that was put into their systems was the introduction of 4 players (which is innovative). But they hardly keep up with the technology to produce something that has as many features as the ps2 or xbox has. Which is truly a testament to their game library.

A new gameboy would be wrong, that it, the only answer, WRONG. The nintendo DS has already been released and they need to focus soley on the DS now. The DS sent shockwaves as it sold millions of units in its launch, and they are just to abandon it? I hope Nintendo keeps this under wraps at least until 2007. We don't need it, we already have enough stuff.

Posted by Bebop

I personally think DS is a quick thing to fight off the PSP for the new GBA. Nonetheless I think DS is great with lots of potetntial and following the huge success I doubt Ninty will up and leave such a profitable and unique device.

Innovation is far from the vocabulary of Nintendo. They make one thing, and thats games. The most innovation that was put into their systems was the introduction of 4 players (which is innovative). But they hardly keep up with the technology to produce something that has as many features as the ps2 or xbox has. Which is truly a testament to their game library.
DS is more innovative than 4 controller ports. Convergence isnt an excuse ofr innovation. They are keeping up with technology as GC is very powerful and well built. Also, theres the Panosonic GC dont forget.

Posted by Shanuti Aborina

Maybe Ninty also sees the need of some casual gamers, that they would not appreciate 2 screens, and innovation.

Posted by hey

If it does come out im not getting it

Posted by verystrait42

The new game boy is nothing more than an extremely small game boy advance. it plays no new kinds of games. just game boy advance (and maybe normal game boy) games.:rock:

Posted by CRONOfrog9

Quoting Protoman: I just read that Nintendo may release a new Gameboy system at the end of '05. This system would be targeted towards younger gamers. Anyone else hear about this?

Here is the link: http://news.designtechnica.com/article6693.html

Anyhow I really don't think this is necessary, the DS just came out, and the GBA SP is just fine for younger gamers IMO.

I would buy it, but i know some people that wouldn't. I never bought a gba:sp so I'm willing to get a new gba system.

Posted by Nickd009

Why did they actually make that when the SP is just as good if not better, I mean someone has to buy but why, they have DS now? My 2 cents

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Why did they actually make that when the SP is just as good if not better

Because the SP is no where near as good as the GBM (Though the upgrade might be...)

Maybe that's why.

Quoted post: they have DS now?

Which is a third pillar, not a replacement.

Posted by ExoXile

Quoting Vampiro:
Which is a third pillar, not a replacement.

I knew this too, but.
Why did they make it play GBA games?
It's not a GBA!
Niether is the DS a replacment.

So why?

Quoted post: So why?

Why not?

Posted by The Punisher

Ok wait a minute... This was news at E3 if any of you remember back that far. This is not a new system, its just a smaller version of what is already out there. Go to Nintendo.com and look up Gameboy Mini, your all gona feel dumb if you were outsmarted by The Punisher. =).

Posted by coromoro

Silly Punisher, read the whole thread! :p:

As for me, I don't know if I'll be getting the Game Boy Micro. I mean, I already have a GBA, a GBA SP, and a DS, all of which can play GBA games, but it just looks so sexy. :(

Posted by psp

I personally think this isnt necessary. Though it is small, and has a better screen with other cool features, the GBA SP and the DS are just fine. This new gameboy isnt making much sales here, but its making a lot in japan. Click link below.

[URL="http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/22/news_6134122.html"]http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/22/news_6134122.html[/URL]

The article also states that there is a new GBA SP coming out. Wow

Quoted post: The article also states that there is a new GBA SP coming out. Wow

I believe it's already out. It just has a backlit screen, that's all.

Posted by Random

Yeah it's already out.. It came out last week. We only sold 1 in our store. Thats probably the worst Launch of any console ever. Though I can see why. It's just a Gameboy advance only smaller so it shouldn't sell so hot at launch.

When the N-Gage Launched we sold 3 ^_^ oh.. and we've still only sold 3 all together..

Posted by The Punisher

The thing about it is, Nintendo didn’t advertise this vary well. Its even scarce to find anything about it on there largely populated forums. I was apart of them once, but I decided its like moving from a rural town, VGChat, to a large city, the official Nintendo forums.

Quoted post: The thing about it is, Nintendo didn’t advertise this vary well. Its even scarce to find anything about it on there largely populated forums.

The GBM? There's quite a lot of commercials.

Posted by The Punisher

How many of us have two televisions in our gaming area? Were either online or playing games, and the thing to do would be set up a lot of online banners, and get space on websites like this. Most of us arent watching TV a lot, and when we are, how offten do the adds pop up? Ive yet to see one on television.

Posted by Ant

I've seen one.

They can only do so much. And I've seen way more Nintendo Ads lately then anything for any game or product then Sony...and I think they are tied with Xbox.

Posted by The Punisher

I have not see any gaming adds since the DS.

Then you're watching the wrong channels, or not watching enough TV.

But they're on quite often. There's two GBM commercials running right now.

Posted by The Punisher

How am I watching the wrong channels. Im either watching G4 or Cartoon Network, and arent these programs aimed twoards younger children except adult swim and thats what I watch on CN. But yeah I dont watch a lot of TV. Like I have said, bass, here and videogames.

Posted by Random

Well I notice Nintendo runs quite a few adds in stores aswell. Every couple weeks we have Reps that come in for Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo putting out ads and what not. I see the Nintendo Rep constantly. He's always putting posters or stickers out for Nintendo games. However I think it's wasted money. It may help them sales wise but Sony and Microsoft who I barely ever see a Rep (other than him dropping off a S*it load of 360 stuff), save money by not advertising so much like Nintendo does. It doesn't seem to help sales. I think it's just wasted cash that Nintendo could save. Not a lot of cash but cash none the less..

Like I said.. we sold 1 Gameboy Micro and it's been out for about a week. Not looking hot..

Also I'd like to add that when they say "micro" they mean "micro." I have fairly large hands and playing the Micro hurt my fingers like a B*tch. It sucked hardcore. If I am to purchase a Gameboy.. Let it be the new SP with even a new Brighter Screen!!

Posted by The Punisher

Quoted post: If I am to purchase a Gameboy.. Let it be the new PSP with even a new Brighter Screen!!

You so did not just call psp a gameboy. :(

Posted by Random

WHOOPS... Lemme re-edit that. Haha sorry I haven't been getting much sleep lately. I meant the new Gameboy Advance SP with a brighter screen. Haha we just got a shipment of those in at work. Terribly sorry!

Posted by The Punisher

Its cool, I was like oh hell no... and then I would have just sat back and laughed at it. Anyways, do you get discounts since you work there or are they like hardcore nazi and make you buy it full price?

Posted by Random

I get 10% discounts on the Game systems, 10% discounts on most of the games and 15% discount on stuff like Players Choice, Greatest Hits, and Platinum Hits. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Posted by The Punisher

Thats cool. Ive been thinking about getting a job, and then I realized, I like wasting my life away.

Posted by Raquel

Quoting The Punisher: How am I watching the wrong channels. Im either watching G4 or Cartoon Network, and arent these programs aimed twoards younger children except adult swim and thats what I watch on CN. But yeah I dont watch a lot of TV. Like I have said, bass, here and videogames.

I've seen commercials for GBM during Adult Swim all the time... it's the one with the girl in bright pink. Everything around her matches her. Even buildings. At the end she's looking through a shop window and she sees a GBM in the same pink; then it flips to a guy in cameo and his GBM matches him.

Posted by The Punisher

Still havent seen it. I might be falling asleep before it, or what ever. Ill eventualy see one though.

Posted by GameMiestro

Gameboy Micro=No multiplayer, no Gamecube link, no Gameboy Color games... no innovation. If you really must have another Gameboy, buy the Game Boy Player instead. Thats actually pretty useful.