Running DOS Games

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

So, I'm trying to run Commander Keen on XP. However, whenever I attempt to play it, I get the message "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

Now, my question is, what exactly does that mean and how can I get the game to actually run? Any help would be appreciated.

Posted by Philsdad

Before you try anything else, make a shortcut to the game on your desktop. Right click on it and go to Properties, then go to the Compatibility tab. Check on Run this program in Compatibility mode for Windows 95. If this doesn't run it, then try running it through DosBox:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dosbox/DOSBox0.65-win32-installer.exe?download

Put your game in an easy to remember directory such as c:\keen and run Dos Box. At the prompt type mount c: c:\keen (or wherever you put it) then navigate to c: and run the executable file (type dir/w to see a list of the files if you don't remember the executable off the top of your head.) Good luck with it.

Posted by Proto Man

Yeah, do what Phil said. Or you could always just do what I did, and build a dedicated machine for that. XP is just overall bad for running old DOS games because of the compatibility issues, and different coding they use.

Posted by Xenos

Are you really trying to install Commander Keen or are you trying to really install ... Leisure Suit Larry?!

Posted by Zeta

****it Vamp, now I have an urge to play all the Commander Keen games. :(

'Cept Keen Dreams; that was lame.

Posted by Trigger

I have a huge amount of old DOS games, with Commander Keen being among the collection. I have never had any problems running my version of the DOS games within Windows XP, so if you would like me to send you my copy to try, just let me know.

Monster Bash!

Yeah, I'll try what Phil said first as I already downloaded DosBox. But if that doesn't work, I'll try your copy of Keen. Thanks.

Quoted post:
****it Vamp, now I have an urge to play all the Commander Keen games.

'Cept Keen Dreams; that was lame.

I liked Dreams. or at least I think I remember thinking it was pretty cool. Either way, I got the urge to play them last night after remembering a conversation at work about 'em. An urge that one be sated until I beat them all again!

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Quoting Philsdad: Before you try anything else, make a shortcut to the game on your desktop. Right click on it and go to Properties, then go to the Compatibility tab. Check on Run this program in Compatibility mode for Windows 95. If this doesn't run it, then try running it through DosBox:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dosbox/DOSBox0.65-win32-installer.exe?download

Put your game in an easy to remember directory such as c:\keen and run Dos Box. At the prompt type mount c: c:\keen (or wherever you put it) then navigate to c: and run the executable file (type dir/w to see a list of the files if you don't remember the executable off the top of your head.) Good luck with it.

Sweet, now I should be able to play Cannon Fodder again!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Protoman: Yeah, do what Phil said. Or you could always just do what I did, and build a dedicated machine for that. XP is just overall bad for running old DOS games because of the compatibility issues, and different coding they use.

How much would a trustworthy dedicated machine for DOS gaming cost? Like, $50?

DOSBox costs $0. I use it to play Quest For Glory and the old Hitchhiker's Guide... games.

:cool:

Quoted post: DOSBox costs $0. I use it to play Quest For Glory and the old Hitchhiker's Guide... games.

The text games? Huh, I just played a version built into a site. Didn't have to worry about DOS at all.

Posted by Switch.Wolf

I would have to agree with "The X" that DOSBox is your best option. It works really well on multiple platforms and works with, to my knowledge, most DOS Games.

It was a little strange for me to start using it but its easy to run and use. Thats how I play all my DOS games.