Anyone want to go to Tokyo...

Posted by PhlyntheKT

My and a few buds wanted to go to Tokyo, Japan so I was wondering if that would be cool with you guys, my babysitters.

Posted by Linko_16

Okay, but be back by 11:00.

Posted by Zeta

Make sure you say 'desu ka' when you ask a question.

Posted by mis0

Just make sure you get stuck over there in a wacky, megatokyo-esque adventure!!!*

As in, don't come back, otaku fag.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

[quote=Linko_16][COLOR=indigo]Okay, but be back by 11:00.[/COLOR]
But Mom I wanted to spend the night there and become an otaku or something.:-D domo arewa furintu desu ka? How's that?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

weeaboo

don't come back.

Posted by Linko_16

Remember to say "I am but a humble American who wishes to offer his gratitude for allowing him to tour your fine country." Of course, in Japanese, such a remark would translate to running naked in the streets yelling "@#$% ALL OF YOU!! JAPAN SUCKS!! FORKS KICK CHOPSTICKS IN THE @$%!!"

Posted by Zeta

Japanese like to say 'Ohio' a lot. They really dig that place.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

Be serious, please?

Posted by Zeta

It's hard to be serious when you said we're your babysitters.

Posted by mis0

And besides the fact that the Japanese hate idiot foriegners, 'specially otaku, emo fags don't bode well over there.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

I stay here with VGC all day like they're my babysitters. Any one want to see pictures if I come back. BTW does any one want to go there with us?

Posted by GameMiestro

[quote=Phlynthe]Be serious, please?

I SWEAR you didn't have that high of a post count a few days ago...

Posted by mis0

No. I don't want to go with an homicidal idiot like you. I enjoy my life.

Posted by Linko_16

Yeah, just let me just go out to the ATM and get a few thousand from my college savings.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

Its for my cultural development I'm gonna try to go to the peace corps eventually...

Posted by Xenos

Quoted post: Anyone want to go to Tokyo...

No. I perfer Machu Picchu, Belize, NYC and Ethiopia.

Posted by mis0

Like Xenos, there are many places I'd rather go, than to a huge, over-crowded city where I stick out like a sore thumb, and speak next-to-nothing of the language. Beer machines aren't worth 8k miles in a plane, nor the cost involved getting there.

I'm personally inclined to drive the Nordschleife in Nurburg, Germany, because it's a challenge and 13 miles of one-way, next to rule free "road," which implies moderate to severe dorifuto on any day I'd be there. I also want to go back to Captiva-Sanibel Islands in the Gulf, and Chicago (soon). Tokyo is just so "meh."

Posted by Raptor

Quoting Phlynthe: Its for my cultural development I'm gonna try to go to the peace corps eventually...

Well, you obviously don't set very high standards for yourself...

Have fun being transported to some AIDS-ridden hamlet in bum**** Africa, with nothing to do but count insect bites when you're not comforting screaming mothers and their dying infants. I doubt you'll be thinking, "oh man, I'm sure glad I took that trip to Tokyo to get ready for this."

If you're going to let the government brand your ***, you might as well join the military... just so you don't look like such a pussy.

Posted by sabre

Sorry, you're not allowed. It's against VGC rules, we'll have to ban you if you do.

Posted by Lord of Spam

DUDE, I seriously want to go to a nation that has no cultural attractions that interest me, no culinary establishments I'd be interested in, and, oh yeah, I DONT SPEAK THE LANGUAGE.

Sign me up.:/

IF I were going to go to anywhere, it'd be France.

Posted by Arczu

I would actually want to go to Africa. That where my parents were, and that where traces of their language track back to. Not mention all the awesome fruit and stuff.

The only problem is I would have to get SO many imunizations and shots. My sisters went last year and they had to get a lot of needles. If you are going to go somewhere, you had BETTER be prepared to go there.

Posted by Sable Wind

Should I feel bad that I actually want to go to Japan? Not Tokyo in particular.

I want to go to see other places too, mind you. But Japan is one of them.

Personally, I forgot when wanting to go visit Japan automatically made you an otaku fagx20.

Posted by nich

Phlynthe, you're weird.

Quoting Sable Wind: Should I feel bad that I actually want to go to Japan? Not Tokyo in particular.

I want to go to see other places too, mind you. But Japan is one of them.

Personally, I forgot when wanting to go visit Japan automatically made you an otaku fagx20.

Quoted for the truth. I love to travel and experience different cultures, so if one day I go to Japan I'm automatically otaku or weeaboo? :/ There are other places I'd like to go, Europe for example. I've heard good things of France, my uncle is there right now actually.

Posted by mis0

Quoting Sable Wind: Personally, I forgot when wanting to go visit Japan automatically made you an otaku fagx20.

It doesn't unless you're going there for otaku fag reasons. Like, animu, loli, etc.

I said I didn't have an interest in Tokyo, because if you know anything about it, you'd realise it's not really a great place to go. But, Kyoto, and many parts of rural Japan are beautiful, and that I wouldn't mind seeing.

Posted by Sable Wind

[quote=Misoxeny]It doesn't unless you're going there for otaku fag reasons. Like, animu, loli, etc.

I said I didn't have an interest in Tokyo, because if you know anything about it, you'd realise it's not really a great place to go. But, Kyoto, and many parts of rural Japan are beautiful, and that I wouldn't mind seeing.

He wasn't, yet you all jumped on him as if he was.

Not everyone who actually has an interesting Japan/Japanese culture is an otaku. I admit that I enjoy anime, and that I have done some "otaku-y" things (it's both my style of art and in the past, I have written fanfiction). But I also have a genuine interest in the rest of the Japanese culture, and I am taking Japanese as a language at a separate school, because I may perhaps one day decide to visit Japan, not to mention I actually like the language.

For one, I've had a problem from the beginning with the sentiment that liking anime/having an interesting in Japan seemingly makes you an Asianphile or Japanophile or any of the awful things. I used to use otaku as a positive term, but it has become increasingly negative in its use lately, which irks me. I don't think all otakus are morons. I'd prefer to get to know a person than to judge them immediately, or branding them with stereotypes. All of my close friends enjoy anime, a few are self-proclaimed otakus, but they're all quite intelligent and incredibly fun people.

I don't know why having an intense affection for something makes you a horrid person--is it because it's of a different culture? It seems that only people who like anime are targeted in this forum, what about people who have an obsession with American comics? You are drawn to what you are drawn to, and I don't believe that because it is of a different origin you should be ridiculed.

I know the different between an Asianphile and someone who just happens to really enjoy anime. I don't like Asianphiles. Otakus? Fine with me. And if that's the reason either of the groups go to Japan? Let them, they'll be gravely disappointed and come out less ignorant.

tl;dr

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

There are many other places I'd rather go to, and many different people I'd rather go with. I'm with Sabre on this one.

Posted by Sable Wind

Oh, and I'm not saying that everyone has to want to go to Japan, just that it isn't awful if you want to go. :/

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

No, I know. But I think the kids on vgc are going through a little stage where anyone who thinks Japan is a nice place to visit is some mindless otaku faggot.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: But I think the kids on vgc are going through a little stage where anyone who thinks Japan is a nice place to visit is some mindless otaku faggot.

It's a joke. Obviously we realise you can like/want to visit japan without being a weeaboo.

Hell, I'd like to visit Japan if I had the money. But I don't.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

We're taking out a loan to go there with a few friends...So I may bring stuff back like fresh mangas...

Posted by Lord of Spam

Okay, he just said that he is taking out a loan to go to Japan to get "fresh mangas." Can I call him a weeaboo faggot now?

Posted by nich

I'd say so.

What an otaku-fag. Was that right?

Posted by Speedfreak

Oh lookie, a thread full of North Americans saying they don't want to go anywhere because it's too different. Can't say I'm surprised!

Posted by mis0

BIX NOOD, there's nothing wrong with Japan, but going there because "CAUSE IT R THE 1337 XTREAM AWESOME CENTRE OF TEH UNIVERSE AdN MAI FAV ANIMU IZ THEAR 2" is incrediby stupid, and a good display of ignorance about the country itself.

And, [insert generalization about EUROPEANS right here].

Posted by Dog

i heard if you go up to a japaneze person and make a weird beat with your mouth (e.g: mtsmtsmtsmts) they'll dance. so i tried it. it didn't work. he probably wasn't from japan. i plan on going there and finding out.

Posted by Speedfreak

He never mentioned why he was going there, you just assumed that the sole reason he wanted to go was to buy a crapload of manga and watch hentai.

You can generalise Europe all you want, Britain is about as different to the rest of Europe as you can possibly get. Even if I was acting like a typical Brit (whatever skewed, ridiculous form that takes over there) and you told me that I was, well, how could I disagree?

Many countries regard the US as extremely insular and ignorant of or resistant to other cultures and environments, especially those on a different continent. It's not necessarily a stereotype that I agree with, but don't blame me when many of you prove it right.

Posted by Lord of Spam

I have nothing against Japan. Its the morons that are obsessed with it after watching an episode of Naruto or Full Metal Alchemist that **** me off.

In fact, the only thing that keeps me from traveling abroad is the lack of funds, so dont go telling me about being insular and whatnot. It may hold true for a decent amount of americans, but it isnt 100%.

Posted by Klarth

Non-otaku here, but Tokyo is still ****ing cool. I watched a twenty-minute tourism video about it on my flight today. Then I watched a Chicago one out of pure nostalgia. I think I'd rather return to the states first, although a visit to Japan wouldn't hurt... At all.

Posted by PhlyntheKT

I'm going to Japan to see Japanese women,JK. I used to have a Japanese pen pal which got me thinking about going there. I also watched alot of anime and thought about it. Also I once had some pocky. I could make a really long list for why I want to go there.Eventually I thought "Hey why not see this place that has all this stuff and see if it is how I imagine it to be." Beside there's a few of us who want to go there and stuff. One of the people I know even has a stack of Yen ready for the place. So really if and when this happens we will be all enjoying it very much 'n' stuff. So....I see you guys there.

Posted by Lord of Spam

WEEABOO WEEABOO WEEABOO

Srsly, Japan most likely doesnt want people like you. Do you even speak any japanese?

Posted by Zeta

Why hasn't LoS said oobawee yet? :(

Posted by PhlyntheKT

Hey, I know some limited japanese...don't think I'm an otaku whatever that is...what does oobawee mean...and kamehameha...